**The Official July 2016 MCAT Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ad2b

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Created.

July 8 exam = August 9 release date

Members don't see this ad.

I've been waiting for you July 22ers responses all day. For those of you that had difficulty, I feel your pain. I'm waiting for my score from July 8 and my bar for what I'd take as an acceptable score drops every other day!

And to those that finish their exams 45-30 minutes early, you guys are beasts. I don't know how you guys do it. I was even slower on the actual mcat, because it was so hard to leave a question when unsure. I get finishing 10-15 minutes early but 45 minutes? :thinking:
The only section that I usually end with a significant amount of time left(~40 mins) is P/S. Today I went through everything once with about 30 mins left, but even then, I had to go back and reread some passages multiple times and try to reason some unfamiliar terms. So I still needed that time.
Besides that, I don't see how anyone can finish cars or even B/B with that much time left. Props to them!

Reactions: 1 user
No matter what people say about their test day experience, I think it's best if we just study what the AAMC outlines and that's it. I mean, AAMC doesn't say 'Oh these are high yield but these are low yield so yeah'. No. Everything is high yield. Just study them and get a good understanding. If AAMC were to just straight out tell you what they are going to most likely test you on, that kind of defeats the purpose of the outline they give.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Whoops I didn't finish my thought in my previous post. I didn't think P/S was easy at all. The first 1/3 I was lost and there were a lot of definitions I just didn't know. B/B was eh... I got a 128 on the scored so hopefully I don't go down. I thought it was harder than the scored though... Few passages required more thought than the scored (similar to the SB I guess). C/P I'm pretty weak in but I thought it was similar to practice material aside from a few things. Who knowsssssssssss. I agree verbal sucked. A couple of passages were definitely tougher than the scored exam passages but the rest were on par. Not saying I did well though. Honestly everything's a blur at this point.

I thought it was difficult. I scored a 126 on the cars on my previous mcat. This was definitely a harder cars section. I thought the chem and psych were very easy. The biology was average. The cars was the hardest for me. There was so many " look back to the passage questions." This took up way to much time. Main point and tone questions were not very much of a factor in this section. It was way more look at the details and infer. Overall, I'm predicting a 128 125 (praying for a 126 again) 127 128/129. May the mcat gods be with you all.

No matter what people say about their test day experience, I think it's best if we just study what the AAMC outlines and that's it. I mean, AAMC doesn't say 'Oh these are high yield but these are low yield so yeah'. No. Everything is high yield. Just study them and get a good understanding. If AAMC were to just straight out tell you what they are going to most likely test you on, that kind of defeats the purpose of the outline they give.

I agree with this. I think people get way too caught up asking previous exam takers, or basing it just on the two practice tests to decide what they should focus on. That's why a good amount of FL practice is best. I studied every topic listed, googled like a maniac way more in depth than necessary and then checked it off in the O.G. Book.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The only section that I usually end with a significant amount of time left(~40 mins) is P/S. Today I went through everything once with about 30 mins left, but even then, I had to go back and reread some passages multiple times and try to reason some unfamiliar terms. So I still needed that time.
Besides that, I don't see how anyone can finish cars or even B/B with that much time left. Props to them!

I'm guessing you guys are referring to me. So to clarify, I never said 45 mins extra in B/B or C/P. I usually have 30-45mins extra in CARS and P/S but these are inherently easy sections for me as a psych major and someone who has been in many literature/language and heavy writing courses. With psych I always have time to actually take two full passes through the test.

I usually run out of time before checking marked with C/P and B/B or even run out of time before reading the last passage and randomly guessing 6-8 questions. I had ~10-15 extra yesterday which was awesome so I could go over everything. No way I could have 45 mins extra in theses, but I'm sure for people who these are their strong sections it's possible.

I'm still confused…

A 530 is impossible, there is no extra credit. First post was sarcasm. I'm trolling kids who get on here and say, "oh I got 518 on the scored, freaking out about the actual exam, think I got a 510". These pretentious *insert derogatory term* are the same kids during undergrad who walk out of an exam acting like their life is over and then they get the exam back and they get a 98%.

Furthermore, I did not actually ejaculate inside the exam without a condom, it was a metaphor used for comic effect-the (PG version of "I ****ed the exam raw")

However, for anyone still reading here's my thoughts:

C/P
I freaked out in the beginning and took 5-10 minutes to get it together on the first passage, which after I calmed down, the first 5 questions were very easy and basic. This section had some super easy questions and overall it wasn't the worst, I'd be happy with a 126. I've taken 10 practice exams and these passages were much shorter than NS or Kaplan.

CARS
Usually my best section, it's straight forward reading the words and applying what they say. A couple obnoxious ones, not too bad overall. Sometimes i wish the authors could come in on test day so we can ask them what they'd be least likely to agree with.

B/B
I was way more calm at this point but this section was all educated guessing for me. Too many X effects Y which effects Z, and I wish they'd just use X, Y, and Z and not these 5-10 letter acronyms you have to keep referring back to like wtf is this again. But really, this section is all how well you can read this stuff and apply. It's the same as CARS in that respect, it's just a different language.

PSYCH
This section is the easiest to read and goes the fastest. I had a lot of terms I knew and made the best guess, but also there were a lot I had not seen before or not applied in the same ways as on any of my practice tests.

Overall, I'm hoping for 506 or better. The exam was much shorter passage wise than NS or Kaplan. Felt much closer to the scored FL than anything obviously. I didn't even feel that drained at the end and my testing center was great. It was super quiet and I was able to be inside my own head the whole time as apposed to being at home with the dog barking or dad nailing **** to the wall or sister and mom arguing.

Fellow July 8th and 9th testers. How you holding up, this wait is killing me. UGH hard to believe its been 2 weeks since that defilement.

Fellow July 8th and 9th testers. How you holding up, this wait is killing me. UGH hard to believe its been 2 weeks since that defilement.

I feel like the first week flew by because I super busy and for some reason couldn't remember anything about the test but this past week drrrraaaaagged on. Questions and passages started coming to mind recently and I'm trying my hardest to keep from looking up the answers.... I'm starting to go mad!! Even had a couple of dreams about my test score.

Can I ask, why are you retaking your 509?????

I feel like the first week flew by because I super busy and for some reason couldn't remember anything about the test but this past week drrrraaaaagged on. Questions and passages started coming to mind recently and I'm trying my hardest to keep from looking up the answers.... I'm starting to go mad!! Even had a couple of dreams about my test score.

Can I ask, why are you retaking your 509?????

I got my score June 21st. I thought I bombed the first test so I studied for a retake. If I didn't retake it I would be out $150. Also I want to go to school in Texas and I'm OOS so I need a killer MCAT score to get in or to University of Michigan. I spent a month and a lot of money studying for my retake and my cut off score was a 510 so lol I missed it by 1 point. Also I only did practice problems for 3 weeks before my first MCAT. By the time I got my score back I was scoring 510 on my Practice Tests and over 70% on EK so I figured I'd have a decent shot at a 515+

Dumb question for those of you who already took it:

Did you get to a point where you kind of just threw up your hands and said it is what it is? I keep studying and think, okay, I've got this; then I see something else and think okay, why didn't I remember that and rinse/repeat. I've got about 12 days left ... and while I *know* I can't get a 100% (which is weird for me to accept but I am), I just keep telling myself everyone feels like they hit a wall and push through it.

I took yesterday off - completely, 100% - relaxed, did yard work, went to Star Trek, cleaned the house; review my notes for a very short time before bed and that was it.

Today, I'm back at it and wondering... does everyone get to the point where they kind of go, "Yay, I know this and that" and then get hit with a "WFT" in a passage or question?

Dumb question for those of you who already took it:

Did you get to a point where you kind of just threw up your hands and said it is what it is? I keep studying and think, okay, I've got this; then I see something else and think okay, why didn't I remember that and rinse/repeat. I've got about 12 days left ... and while I *know* I can't get a 100% (which is weird for me to accept but I am), I just keep telling myself everyone feels like they hit a wall and push through it.

I took yesterday off - completely, 100% - relaxed, did yard work, went to Star Trek, cleaned the house; review my notes for a very short time before bed and that was it.

Today, I'm back at it and wondering... does everyone get to the point where they kind of go, "Yay, I know this and that" and then get hit with a "WFT" in a passage or question?
Happens all the time. Don't get discouraged, just guess and move on.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm guessing you guys are referring to me. So to clarify, I never said 45 mins extra in B/B or C/P. I usually have 30-45mins extra in CARS and P/S but these are inherently easy sections for me as a psych major and someone who has been in many literature/language and heavy writing courses. With psych I always have time to actually take two full passes through the test.

I usually run out of time before checking marked with C/P and B/B or even run out of time before reading the last passage and randomly guessing 6-8 questions. I had ~10-15 extra yesterday which was awesome so I could go over everything. No way I could have 45 mins extra in theses, but I'm sure for people who these are their strong sections it's possible.

Was reading back to the earlier posts when I was wasn't online. Sorry to hear that about the news you received. Hopefully, that did not stop you from killing that test. You got this!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my score June 21st. I thought I bombed the first test so I studied for a retake. If I didn't retake it I would be out $150. Also I want to go to school in Texas and I'm OOS so I need a killer MCAT score to get in or to University of Michigan. I spent a month and a lot of money studying for my retake and my cut off score was a 510 so lol I missed it by 1 point. Also I only did practice problems for 3 weeks before my first MCAT. By the time I got my score back I was scoring 510 on my Practice Tests and over 70% on EK so I figured I'd have a decent shot at a 515+

I find it comforting that you felt like you bombed it and ended up with a 509! These few days I've been on a roller coaster with my feelings on how I did: sometimes I feel like I did well and I'm excited to get my scores.. Other times (like when I'm trying to fall asleep) I feel like I completely fu*ked it up.. Ugh!! These next couple weeks are gonna be rough..
Completely understandable that you didn't want to waste money, I truly hope you hit 515+!!! I think you did :)

@Ad2b I agree with Roayer, that "wtf feeling" is definitely normal and is something that we're going to have all the time once we're in med school. Don't let it get you down; find confidence in that fact you've found a weakness and now you fix it :) It's all a process and Id say that 12days is enough time to fill in those gaps. Keep up the excellent work, it seems that you're right on track!

Reactions: 2 users

Just curious- why do you want to go to TX? Isn't it easier to state in state, since TX only accepts a few OOS?

Just curious- why do you want to go to TX? Isn't it easier to state in state, since TX only accepts a few OOS?
I want to go to TX because I like living here. I don't want to move back to the cold lol. Texas has great set up for healthcare and I want to stay here. If that means I have to score a lot higher so be it. And yes it is much easier for me to get accepted instate.

I want to go to TX because I like living here. I don't want to move back to the cold lol. Texas has great set up for healthcare and I want to stay here. If that means I have to score a lot higher so be it. And yes it is much easier for me to get accepted instate.

Ah gotcha! Are you not a resident since you're living there then?

Ah gotcha! Are you not a resident since you're living there then?
Yeah for me to be a resident I have to own property and work 20 hours a week. I don't think I can get the 20 hours a week with school so I gave up on it. They are a pain in the ass so I just decided I would shoot for a high MCAT and bank on the fact that I go to undergraduate school here.

Yeah for me to be a resident I have to own property and work 20 hours a week. I don't think I can get the 20 hours a week with school so I gave up on it. They are a pain in the ass so I just decided I would shoot for a high MCAT and bank on the fact that I go to undergraduate school here.

Last edited:
Was reading back to the earlier posts when I was wasn't online. Sorry to hear that about the news you received. Hopefully, that did not stop you from killing that test. You got this!

It did not. As someone mentioned, it really was the farthest thing from my mind on test day. Thank you for the well wishes. I hope it turns out to be nothing.

A 530 is impossible, there is no extra credit. First post was sarcasm. I'm trolling kids who get on here and say, "oh I got 518 on the scored, freaking out about the actual exam, think I got a 510". These pretentious *insert derogatory term* are the same kids during undergrad who walk out of an exam acting like their life is over and then they get the exam back and they get a 98%.

Furthermore, I did not actually ejaculate inside the exam without a condom, it was a metaphor used for comic effect-the (PG version of "I ****ed the exam raw")

However, for anyone still reading here's my thoughts:

C/P
I freaked out in the beginning and took 5-10 minutes to get it together on the first passage, which after I calmed down, the first 5 questions were very easy and basic. This section had some super easy questions and overall it wasn't the worst, I'd be happy with a 126. I've taken 10 practice exams and these passages were much shorter than NS or Kaplan.

CARS
Usually my best section, it's straight forward reading the words and applying what they say. A couple obnoxious ones, not too bad overall. Sometimes i wish the authors could come in on test day so we can ask them what they'd be least likely to agree with.

B/B
I was way more calm at this point but this section was all educated guessing for me. Too many X effects Y which effects Z, and I wish they'd just use X, Y, and Z and not these 5-10 letter acronyms you have to keep referring back to like wtf is this again. But really, this section is all how well you can read this stuff and apply. It's the same as CARS in that respect, it's just a different language.

PSYCH
This section is the easiest to read and goes the fastest. I had a lot of terms I knew and made the best guess, but also there were a lot I had not seen before or not applied in the same ways as on any of my practice tests.

Overall, I'm hoping for 506 or better. The exam was much shorter passage wise than NS or Kaplan. Felt much closer to the scored FL than anything obviously. I didn't even feel that drained at the end and my testing center was great. It was super quiet and I was able to be inside my own head the whole time as apposed to being at home with the dog barking or dad nailing **** to the wall or sister and mom arguing.

how did you score on NS exams?

Hey guys- I was a June 18th test taker. Guessed on over 20 on the C/P section, marked 10 on B/B and also ran out of time on C/P. Was very confident that I was going to get below a 500. Ended up at about the 90th percentile- 3 points higher than my scored test. You are going to feel so bad after your test- some people that feel good after the test might have gotten caught in tricks (not saying if you feel good you will do bad, just saying a lot of people have opposite results of how they feel). If you feel bad most likely you caught tricks and the curve will hopefully be in your favor. Good luck!

do you mind sharing your practice exam scores?

im dreading the day the scores come out yet kind of counting down the days too :/
i feel like i scored either a 500 or 510 (my practice exams: NS were between 501-507, EK 3 62%, EK 4 61%)-praying for a 508!

i keep looking at the score spreadsheet for comfort but i dont know how predictive other users scores are of my own

im dreading the day the scores come out yet kind of counting down the days too :/
i feel like i scored either a 500 or 510 (my practice exams: NS were between 501-507, EK 3 62%, EK 4 61%)-praying for a 508!

i keep looking at the score spreadsheet for comfort but i dont know how predictive other users scores are of my own
I feel your pain since my EK ranged from 70-85. And then only took 1 NS, 1 TPR, and 1 Kaplan and retook the sample/scored so I have no idea where I am at. I think your EK's are indicative of a 505-515 from what I've seen.

do you mind sharing your practice exam scores?

Sure!
Scored: 509
Unscored: 510
EK 1-4: 60-68%
SB:
C/P-70% B/B-60% P/S-80%
NS1- 515
Real: 512
Post exam feeling- I should have voided. What is life. Literally cried the whole the month bc I thought I made around a 500. My goal was a 508 going into it. I was super surprised. Most of the people that took our date increased from our practice scores or stayed the same.

I feel your pain since my EK ranged from 70-85. And then only took 1 NS, 1 TPR, and 1 Kaplan and retook the sample/scored so I have no idea where I am at. I think your EK's are indicative of a 505-515 from what I've seen.

i really hope you reached the 515 range!

honestly i would be content with even a 505 at this point so i can apply DO and maybe a few lower tier MDs
we're on the same boat in terms of retook full lengths (went from a 501 to 509 on the scored)

post exam i felt okay about c/p, b/b and psych
cars is probably the most unpredictable for me, i felt like a bombed a passage and marked like 15-20-ran out of time to thoroughly go over them :/

i really hope you reached the 515 range!

honestly i would be content with even a 505 at this point so i can apply DO and maybe a few lower tier MDs
we're on the same boat in terms of retook full lengths (went from a 501 to 509 on the scored)

post exam i felt okay about c/p, b/b and psych
cars is probably the most unpredictable for me, i felt like a bombed a passage and marked like 15-20-ran out of time to thoroughly go over them :/
Thanks I'm sure you got over a 505+, my research is showing that people who retook the scored score typically 1-3 points lower. And I felt great about C/P, pretty solid about B/B, but not good about CARS, I marked probably 15. P/S was also horrible but I bet we get a good curve on those sections. Crossing my fingers man. The wait just sucks.

Sure!
Scored: 509
Unscored: 510
EK 1-4: 60-68%
SB:
C/P-70% B/B-60% P/S-80%
NS1- 515
Real: 512
Post exam feeling- I should have voided. What is life. Literally cried the whole the month bc I thought I made around a 500. My goal was a 508 going into it. I was super surprised. Most of the people that took our date increased from our practice scores or stayed the same.

thanks for sharing! i felt like that after my exam too especially because of CARS
i scored 62% on ek3, 61% on ek4, NS exams: 501-507 so im hoping that i got in the 507-508 range at least *fingers crossed*

thanks for sharing! i felt like that after my exam too especially because of CARS
i scored 62% on ek3, 61% on ek4, NS exams: 501-507 so im hoping that i got in the 507-508 range at least *fingers crossed*

I got in the 99th% of CARS and I've always done well, so I wasn't worried about it. I was sure I got a 120 on C/P. C/P has the most generous curve- seriously. CARS has a very harsh curve- I think I missed only 1 question and got a 130. B/B is average. P/S changes each time- sometimes it's generous and sometimes its harsh.

Hey everyone! I am going to be writing in August and this will be my second write. I was just wondering for others who wrote again, did you feel the MCAT was significantly different (harder/easier) the second time or about the same. I am only asking since last year was the first year of the new MCAT and I am not sure if you felt they made a lot of modifications. I am not sure if I am even allowed to ask this, but thought it would be okay :S

Hey everyone! I am going to be writing in August and this will be my second write. I was just wondering for others who wrote again, did you feel the MCAT was significantly different (harder/easier) the second time or about the same. I am only asking since last year was the first year of the new MCAT and I am not sure if you felt they made a lot of modifications. I am not sure if I am even allowed to ask this, but thought it would be okay :S

My retake was much easier. It was a completely different test and I took it 2 months later. Some topics were similar to my old one which helped but yeah completely different test. I found the first one brutal over my weak areas and the second test was much easier for B/B and C/P, much harder for CARS, and harder for P/S but overall was waaay easier. But take this with a grain of salt because that is because B/B and C/P were over my strong areas.

I took my 2nd test less than a month after, I felt like the retake was way harder, especially P/C and psych. On the other hand, CARS was easier and BB about the same. Overall it tested more low yield stuff. Very different tests.

Yes, the second time was harder than the first time and the third time was even harder than the second time, but I did significantly better since I was better prepared!

Good luck!

The wait is still killing me too!!!! July 9th tester. For me, I'm just anxious about CARS. I just have a bad feeling about this section (I averaged 127s on my practices, but am just praying for a 125 on this test). But seriously, who knows how it will be curved or scored. Sometimes I have trouble sleeping at night and and have flashbacks to the passages I remember :( If anyone has advice on getting through the pain, lemme know

The wait is still killing me too!!!! July 9th tester. For me, I'm just anxious about CARS. I just have a bad feeling about this section (I averaged 127s on my practices, but am just praying for a 125 on this test). But seriously, who knows how it will be curved or scored. Sometimes I have trouble sleeping at night and and have flashbacks to the passages I remember :( If anyone has advice on getting through the pain, lemme know
I am having the same issue. CARS was the most important section for me and it was so @$%@ing hard. I was doing about the same as you toward the end so fingers crossed for that curve. We are so close to being done though 2 weeks from today.

wow this is my life. for some reason the passages i had difficulty with keep popping up in my head and i cant stop thinking about them and the answers I put, besides cars i have no real anxiety on getting my scores on the other sections since I felt pretty confident

i just cant get cars out my head its the only section that will determine my score and i just hope that i scraped even a 124 at this point

7/8 and 7/9 survivors--are you guys pre-writing secondaries or waiting until scores come out to do so?

I'm finishing up TMDSAS and AMCAS right now and then I'll start those.... I just found out my LOR are going to take a while. **** should have asked for them sooner. I don't want to take a gap year so hopefully my app will be finalized by mid august.

7/8 and 7/9 survivors--are you guys pre-writing secondaries or waiting until scores come out to do so?

I'm a 7/22er but I submitted my amcas right away and have submitted 4/10 secondaries. (I only was sent 4 so far, but might add more schools after my score comes back depending.)

My thought is go big or go home, already dropped close to 2k. **** it! Flex nuts

I'm a 7/22er but I submitted my amcas right away and have submitted 4/10 secondaries. (I only was sent 4 so far, but might add more schools after my score comes back depending.)

My thought is go big or go home, already dropped close to 2k. **** it! Flex nuts

2k for 10 primaries and 4 secondaries?

It doesn't add up.

MCAT: $275
MCAT reschedule: $50
NS exams 1-6: $150
EK exam: $50
AAMC q-pack: $72
Kaplan 7 book set: $150
AAMC FL: $25
AAMC scored FL: $35

AMCAS: 160 + (40*8) = $400
DO: $195
4 Secondaries: $425

= $1,827

Obviously rounding up to 2 grand but after these secondaries I'll definitely be over. I suppose I should've been more clear, good thing you guys were on the ball

Here's my timeline: I submitted my primary to 2 schools last week (7/22) and am planning to pre-write those secondaries (although I'm being super lazy). After getting the score back on 8/9, I probably won't be verified yet, but I'll have a school list so I'll start pre-writing from there. If my score is complete ****, I'll contemplate withdrawing and taking a gap year, but hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Here's my timeline: I submitted my primary to 2 schools last week (7/22) and am planning to pre-write those secondaries (although I'm being super lazy). After getting the score back on 8/9, I probably won't be verified yet, but I'll have a school list so I'll start pre-writing from there. If my score is complete ****, I'll contemplate withdrawing and taking a gap year, but hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Yea I feel you, I've been brainstorming but haven't really polished up these essays too much
I think if I get a 505 or higher I'll stick with the cycle I've only submitted primary to one school I just really don't want to take another gap year

MCAT: $275
MCAT reschedule: $50
NS exams 1-6: $150
EK exam: $50
AAMC q-pack: $72
Kaplan 7 book set: $150
AAMC FL: $25
AAMC scored FL: $35

AMCAS: 160 + (40*8) = $400
DO: $195
4 Secondaries: $425

= $1,827

Obviously rounding up to 2 grand but after these secondaries I'll definitely be over. I suppose I should've been more clear, good thing you guys were on the ball

That makes more sense. You were including all your MCAT prep. Thought you were referring to the actual application process.