The Official July 25 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

organicmingle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone so I am just starting to study for the MCAT. I took it last year and got a 30. PS:VR:BIO were 9:11:10 I was really nervous during the PS section omg i could not think and i made a lot of easy mistakes omg. I am usually never nervous before an exam but this time I was trembling lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm taking it on this day as well! Good luck and continue studying! You got this!

Anyone else taking it on the 25th?

Just about a month away! How's everyone's studying going?

Hi. I just found this thread. I have been studying for this test all summer long. I only have 9 chapters left and I will have read all of the Kaplan series. I have taken AAMC practice tests 3, 5, 8, 9, 10 (in that order). I just finished the AAMC 10 test and did horrible. My current AAMC breakdowns are:

AAMC 10: Phy 7, Verbal 7, Bio 5 (81 ? right) => 19
AAMC 9: Phy 8, Verbal 6, Bio 7 (81 ? right) =>21
AAMC 8: Phy 7, Verbal 8, Bio 8 (92 ? right) =>23
AAMC 5: Phy 9, Verbal 4, Bio 8 (89 ? right) =>21
AAMC 3: Phy7, Verbal 7, Bio 5 (77? right) =>19

I retook the AAMC 5 and got a 30 on it, but I'm really concerned about these low scores. When I look over what I missed I immediately realize my mistakes. I plan on completing all of the high yield chapters for Kaplan's series, finishing EK verbal tests, and doing AAMC 11, and retaking 10 and 9.
How are you all doing? How's the studying? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. I just found this thread. I have been studying for this test all summer long. I only have 9 chapters left and I will have read all of the Kaplan series. I have taken AAMC practice tests 3, 5, 8, 9, 10 (in that order). I just finished the AAMC 10 test and did horrible. My current AAMC breakdowns are:

I retook the AAMC 5 and got a 30 on it, but I'm really concerned about these low scores. When I look over what I missed I immediately realize my mistakes. I plan on completing all of the high yield chapters for Kaplan's series, finishing EK verbal tests, and doing AAMC 11, and retaking 10 and 9.

I wouldn't retake the exams. You'll undoubtedly remember things and it'll give you a false sense of security.

I'm re-taking on the 25th and applying this cycle as well (awaiting verification).

My BS and PS scores were in line with averages for admitted students (yay) Verbal was not.
Just working to maintain my science knowledge and get verbal up, I think I figured it out though.

took the june 21st test and signed up for this as a retake jus tin case my score doesnt come out so great...hoping I really dont have to retake!!

I just took AAMC11 and I feel defeated....
Not such a great feeling one week into the exam...:(

What is everyone doing a week before the exam??

Members don't see this ad :)

it's not a bad idea to retake the exams, i've been doing that... as long as you make DAMN SURE you UNDERSTAND every single question you get right... and not just get it right because you remember it's the right answer. the aamcs really are the best materials, even though the test has sort of drastically changed since these practice tests.

Joining the party here! Retaking because I got a whopping 26 (9/7 :(/10) on May 31st. My practice scores were around 30 (10-11/9-10/10) before the last test and that's what I've been getting this time around too this week as I'm going through the wonderful studying process again. I think that it was maybe just nerves last time? I've been focusing more on relaxing than freaking out about memorizing everything this time around, so hopefully my anxiety will not pull me down too much again.
My biggest concern is that the real MCAT felt so much different than any of the AAMCs when I took it, so I'm nervous it's going to happen again. Applying this cycle and I think we'll be okay.

Joining the party here! Retaking because I got a whopping 26 (9/7 :(/10) on May 31st. My practice scores were around 30 (10-11/9-10/10) before the last test and that's what I've been getting this time around too this week as I'm going through the wonderful studying process again. I think that it was maybe just nerves last time? I've been focusing more on relaxing than freaking out about memorizing everything this time around, so hopefully my anxiety will not pull me down too much again.
My biggest concern is that the real MCAT felt so much different than any of the AAMCs when I took it, so I'm nervous it's going to happen again. Applying this cycle and I think we'll be okay.

How did it feel different??

How did it feel different??
MUCH harder (at least the physical sciences section was) and, in general, I felt that the passages were longer and I think that took up more time/psyched me out.
Any other retakers feel the same way? Because I might just be crazy....

MUCH harder (at least the physical sciences section was) and, in general, I felt that the passages were longer and I think that took up more time/psyched me out.
Any other retakers feel the same way? Because I might just be crazy....

:( oh man...
I am a retaker but I took it a little over a year go and I honestly don't remember much of it

How did you study for this retake?? Did you redo the AAMCs?

I have a counter on my desktop telling when July 25th, 8am hits. It's T minues 61 hours, 53 minutes. Good luck to all of us!

Reactions: 1 users
I have a counter on my desktop telling when July 25th, 8am hits. It's T minues 61 hours, 53 minutes. Good luck to all of us!
Same here, same counter, July 25th 8:00 AM, good luck to us !!! I think I'm really tired of all the exams now and I really just want to watch a movie, the MCAT is a real downer.

I'm just happy it's at 8am. Get it done, eat some chipotle, go to the mall... drink?

how is everyone feeling for tomorrow??
i hope i can get some sleep today...i'm feeling quite anxious :unsure:

Good luck tomorrow everyone!!!! I'm re-taking it tomorrow as well and I really hope we have a manageable test. See y'all on the other side!!!

For all first-time takers, don't forget to watch this video.
Let's go slay this beast of an exam.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow! Hopefully y'all's PS section isn't as BRUTAL as ours was today (Thursday, 7/24).

...did anyone else barely have time on PS? I thought it was the most difficult section....with so many calculations.
It had some weird questions....I feel like I got a 5.

I didn't think the orgo passage was that bad to be honest. But im glad there was limited orgo.

Yeah I ran short on the PS also...there was one easy orgo passage but the last one I felt was a rough. What did you guys think about the first VR passage?

I ran short two passages on the PS (also feel like a 5) but felt like verbal and bio weren't bad. Overall pretty let down about PS but hopeful for the rest.

Same on PS. Ran out of time and had to guess. Felt terrible on that one, but comparatively the other two seemed okay.

Thought PS was easy, BS was Decent ( 2 rough passages), and VR was hard. Took the chance on VR and scored it. Hoping and praying for an 8....

Post test estimation: 12/5-9/10

im so pissed i somehow forgot to do 3 questions in PS. must not have scrolled down all the way or something. It freaked me out so much. I don't know what to think. Im gonna retake soon. I think first VR was tough. There were 2 tough bio passages and orgo was also kinda tough. i changed from right answer on 2 bio discretes which pissed me off.

okay I thought the BS was hard as balls! honestly i'm afraid I got like a 3 on it. This was my second MCAT, the first time I took it (5/17) I finished the BS with 20 minutes left and carefully reviewed everything, and I still got a 7. This time, I didnt even have any time left, and I felt even more unsure about it.

I actually felt preeeetty confident about the PS (last time I thought it was IMPOSSIBLE, yet still pulled off a 10). But now I'm afraid that even if my PS score does go up a point or two, my BS score is just going to cancel that all out. UGH! Hopefully the curve for that is somewhat forgiving.

30 days until we find out . . . for those who havent already taken it once-- yes, the wait does feel like 1000 years

During BS i was frustrated like hell want void the exam and just want to ran off from center!!!! two passage was pretty dense

...did anyone else barely have time on PS? I thought it was the most difficult section....with so many calculations.

I felt the exact same way, glad I am not alone in that. I had to guess on too many at the end because of time : /

This was my second MCAT, the first time I took it (5/17)

hey me too. I felt the same after this one for all sections but a bit worse for PS because I ran out of time and had to guess on more questions than last time.

Idk if feeling the same is good or bad?

Post test feeling:

PS: I usually score 12 here..but was short on time towards the end.. had to rush through the last passage and made educated guesses on questions that I knew would take a while to calculate... so many freaking calculations!
VR: usually score a 13-14 on this section...lol not this time. first passage was rough right off the bat, had to rush through the last 2 passages. The QUESTIONS themselves were really tough, more so than the passages themselves.
BS: I usually score an 11 here, but honestly I thought the BS was insanely easy, especially the orgo. maybe I got lucky and studied the right things but the topic base was pretty broad so who knows. I was unsure of one question. hopefully this will make up for whatever I screwed up on the other sections.

Ave practice score: 34-35
Predication (praying for atleast) : 10/10/12

ps: usually my strongest section, scoring in the 12-14 range in aamc practice, felt this was the most difficult section though. like the previous users mentioned, a lot of calculations. i am very aggravated with section, i do not feel like it went as well as any of the practice exams.

vr: usually my weakest section, always rushed for time, scored in the 8-12 range on aamc practice. however, felt very comfortable during the exam. i though it was verrrrry fair, presumably because of the difficult ps.

bs: only one [very difficult] bio passage, orgo was fine, maybe 1-2 difficult questions.

avg. aamc scores were from 32-39

Definitely thought VR questions were the challenging part. I read through the passages like "hm, not bad" got to the questions and was like "wait what did I miss" -___- Anyways. Praying for a miracle on VR. 8 is the magic number ;)

"bs: only one [very difficult] bio passage"

I feel like I know what you are talking about and yes very difficult

Post test feelings

PS:

Harder than expected. Thought calculations weren't terrible but I kept ending up a few exponents off.
Several topics I wasn't sure about. Usually my best section but expecting a 10

VR:

As stated before, the passages weren't too bad and were relatively easy to follow, but the questions were harder. Easy to tell which passages were intended to he difficult. About as hard as AAMC 8. Maybe a 10 here too.

BS:

Usually my weakest section and I thought this was easy. Wish there was more orgo because it is less subjective in my opinion, but there was only one passage I thought was really difficult because of my minimal exposure to the topic and I guessed on a couple of discretes. Could narrow almost all down to at least 2 choices.

Predicted: at least a 31.

Last edited:
vr: usually my weakest section, always rushed for time, scored in the 8-12 range on aamc practice. however, felt very comfortable during the exam. i though it was verrrrry fair, presumably because of the difficult ps.

avg. aamc scores were from 32-39

I felt this way too....but I'm getting worried now since everyone is saying that it was a difficult section :shrug:

I thought the first VR passage was the toughest but maybe it was just my nerves

I thought Physics was doable. I definitely felt that it was easier than the section on my previous MCAT (5/22). Maybe I just studied the right topics.

Verbal was rough! I'm hoping there will be a decent curve.

Bio was really not bad except for that one passage everyone's talking about. I ran out of time and blindly guessed on a few questions on that one D:

I'm hoping to score a 31+

AAMC Average: 33