The Official June 13, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funtertaining15

Average Wizard
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it's about time someone made one.
2nd and last time rescheduling this. At least I'll be done with finals in 2 weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

Test Date: 6/13/2014
FL AAMC Average: 22
Post-test expected score: Lord knows
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS)
27 (7/10/10)
Comments: I dont know what to do guys. I knew PS killed me. Physics was never my strong suit. I'm afraid to retake and do worse. Underdog DO and MD applicant with 3.2 overall and science. I studied for 6 months for this test. Should I even apply this cycle? I have amazing EC and letters of rec.

You averaged a 22, but pulled a 27, and are thinking about re-taking? You just stop it right now. Apply and hope for the best. If you retake and do closer to your average you've got big problems.

Reactions: 5 users
FL AAMC Average: >40
Post-test expected score: 35-39
Actual Score: 42 (14/13/15)

I screwed up on PS, which is usually my solid 15. I thought I was doomed (paid for a retake in August already!) - really glad they took it easy on the scoring.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
that seemed way too easy... post test feeling is 33+. problem is on easy verbal sections (ie AAMC #10, in which 36/40 = 11), the scale is unforgiving. but of the 2 i had to guess on, 1 i got right (in bio, where i always need it more) and missed the other (that physical sciences section that had the weird unit). sadly, i guessed it right the first time and changed it because it seemed too easy to guess the unit meant that. whatever, i will say, that went surprising well.

FL AAMC Average: about 32
Post-test expected score: lol see above "33+"
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 33 = 11/11/11
Comments: get to be a doctor, so that's 27 years of stress off my shoulders. highest of my practice scores, and was my target score before i started. very content, but not ecstatic - won't even consider a retake. the stress of everyone in my family being doctors and always wanting to be one as well has me f_cking releaved. going to have a drink now and celebrate somewhere in sao paulo. the world cup made waiting much easier. good on y'all. :D

Reactions: 3 users
You averaged a 22, but pulled a 27, and are thinking about re-taking? You just stop it right now. Apply and hope for the best. If you retake and do closer to your average you've got big problems.
But with my GPA i'm going to get screened out :(

FL AAMC Average: 30
Post-test expected score: 28
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 31
(9/11/11)
Comments: INCREDIBLY RELIEVED AND HAPPY!

Reactions: 1 users
I thought a 32 was good enough for top tier, but apparently not.
they post averages... we don't know the standard deviation, unfortunately. But it's worth applying anyway... you can do residency at UPENN! haha you're fine with a 32, be happy!

Reactions: 2 users
Then it's not the MCAT score of 27 that's holding you back. It's the GPA that is apparently below the screens. What is it exactly?

3.2 both overall and science. HUGE upward trend. Long story short- it took my dad passing away in a war torn country for me to man up and get my **** together. 2 years ago.

FL AAMC Average: 35
Post-test expected score: 33
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 38 (10/13/15)
Comments: I was so nervous last night, kept dreaming about getting an 8 in PS. Couldn't believe the screen when I saw this, started screaming and waking up all my roommates. Still in shock, this is just one point below my best AAMC which I had thought was a total fluke, glad to see it wasn't!

Got a 31 (10/9/12)
Double major with a 3.786 gpa, over a 3.7 science gpa, strong ECs...

Don't know if I should retake. Anyone have any insight? Thanks

I don't know what screens you're referring to; almost all are anything under a 3.0 gets screen out. You're slightly below average on sGPA and a bit more below on cGPA. I'm sure there are plenty of 3.2/27 that get accepted, esp if you have good ECs and letters like you mentioned. I wouldn't retake whatsoever.

FL AAMC Average: ~29
Post-test expected score: literally no idea
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 31 (10/10/11)

hopefully the MCAT and I have officially parted ways! for good! :soexcited:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you NettleHead :) I hope you're happy with your score, you deserve to become a doctor more than a lot of premeds I know!

FL AAMC Average: 27 ( avg 30 for the AAMC 9,10, and 11)
Post-test expected score: 26
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 34
(10/11/13)

Comment: I am extremely relived! I thought I did horribly on PS as well. Hope you guys did well, i've been on the forum a lot and I was rooting for everyone :)

Reactions: 7 users
Congratulations to all who got their desired scores. Hamdillah for everything the good or the bad. I will pray for you guys to succeed in whatever you do. Good luck to all.

FL AAMC Average: 36.1
Post-test expected score: 30-37
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 37 (12/11/14)
Comments: Extremely relieved and happy. Weird breakdown (PS I hadn't been below 13 on the last 7 AAMC's, and BS I had only been above 13 on AAMC 11) but after walking out of that monster, 37 is a dream come true

PS/V/BS: 7/6/8
Score: 21
This is my first time taking it. My average on PS was 10, but they tested my weakest areas on this test. The biggest mistake I made was spending too much time on content review and not enough on practice tests because I could only afford a few of those $35 FL. I've been recently approved for FAP, and the AAMC has given me more practice material. Does anyone know the best way to improve on verbal reasoning?

Read lots and lots of news articles. What helped me is taking less time to read the passage and more time for the questions. Basically dont read it to learn something read it to get the main idea, tone, and highlight specific words and traps they might use. I didn't map, i mapped in my head.

PS/V/BS: 7/6/8
Score: 21
This is my first time taking it. My average on PS was 10, but they tested my weakest areas on this test. The biggest mistake I made was spending too much time on content review and not enough on practice tests because I could only afford a few of those $35 FL. I've been recently approved for FAP, and the AAMC has given me more practice material. Does anyone know the best way to improve on verbal reasoning?
Do a lot of practice passages...and pray. Rinse, wash, repeat. VR was always a struggle for me, but I'd do the SAPs from AMCAS too.

I know how you feel, my last few FL's I were 35-37.... Got a damn 32.

Same here, I thought I did a lot better on VR than a 10 but I'll definitely take a 32. My main concern is that I don't have enough clinical experience and volunteer work but I have over 2000 hours in a research lab, two publications and a 4.0 GPA. Do you guys think that's enough to get into a top 10 school?

AAMC FL Average: 28.

Didn't take a FL for a couple weeks until close to test. Took that one and got 33

FL AAMC Average: 34
Post-test expected score: 30-37
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 36 (12/12/12)
Comments: Very happy and honestly shocked at the balance...like blown away. This info was helpful for me while I was prepping for the test and waiting for my scores, so I just want to pay it forward. First, post-test predictions in my case meant very little, really. I thought I had a <10 score in PS and was hoping for high points in V and BS to make up for it. Second, I used TPR online resources for PS review, started with a couple TPR practice tests (really hard tests!), did EK 1001 for Physics and GenChem review in weak areas, and did a lot of EK 1001 Bio passages. However, the main practice tests I used were AAMC FLs. My AAMC 10 and 11 average was 32. I would say AAMC 10 and 11 are good indicators of what it feels like to take the MCAT, but not necessarily of what your score will be, so if you do poorly, don't worry. Just review the areas that tripped you up and continue to practice test taking (practice, practice, practice test taking!). AAMC 11 was the last practice test I took (the day before I took the real thing), and I got a 30 so don't let it freak you out.

Congrats to everyone who did as well as they wanted! I hope everyone else doesn't give up, and I'll be wishing for you guys to do well on your retakes!

Test Date: 6/13/14
Kaplan MCAT Average: 33
AAMC Average: 30
Expected Score: 30 (9/11/10)
Actual Score: 34 (11/11/12)
Comments: so happy I cried. Glad the hard work paid off.

Reactions: 4 users
AAMC/TPR avg: 29
Expected score: 27
Actual score: 32!!!

I cried at work when I found out. So happy! I thought PS murdered me but I guess it all evened out!

FL AAMC Average: 37
Post-test expected score: 34-38
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 39
(13/11/15)
Comments: Wow, I can't really believe it. This score matches my highest AAMC and I in no way expected this to happen. Really just at a loss for words.

Dude how did you prep? Btw go eagles!

FL AAMC Average: 27 ( avg 30 for the AAMC 9,10, and 11)
Post-test expected score: 26
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 34
(10/11/13)

Comment: I am extremely relived! I thought I did horribly on PS as well. Hope you guys did well, i've been on the forum a lot and I was rooting for everyone :)

are you a wizard? Damn thats a big gap from FL avg. to actual test…but nice job!!

FL AAMC Average: 34 (Range: 32-35)
Post-test expected score: 33-35
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 39 (14/13/12)
Comments: I am in shock. No idea how I pulled this off. The highest I had ever got in PS was a 12, the highest I had ever got in verbal was a 12. Crazy happy right now. I was not planning to apply to any top tier schools...now I don't even know what to do.

My study plan: I studied approx. 40 hours per week starting the end of April until test day. I took the Kaplan class on demand and took every single AAMC practice test. I was not nervous going into the test and treated it as if it were just another practice test. I guess that's the best advice I can give!

FL AAMC Average: 34 (Range: 32-35)
Post-test expected score: 33-35
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 39
(14/13/12)
Comments: I am in shock. No idea how I pulled this off. The highest I had ever got in PS was a 12, the highest I had ever got in verbal was a 12. Crazy happy right now. I was not planning to apply to any top tier schools...now I don't even know what to do.
My study plan: I studied approx. 40 hours per week starting the end of April until test day. I took the Kaplan class on demand and took every single AAMC practice test. I was not nervous going into the test and treated it as if it were just another practice test. I guess that's the best advice I can give!
did you take Kaplan full lengths? which ones?

Test Date: 6/13/14
AAMC Average: 33
Expected Score: 33
Actual Score: 37 (13/11/13)
Comments: Pure, unadulterated joy. I'm going to eat a piece of cake.

Congratulations to everyone here, we've all worked so hard! I hope everyone gets their dream score either now or on their retakes, good luck :)

FL AAMC Average: 29
Post-test expected score: 28-31
Actual Score: edited
Comments:
Not happy, especially with the Bio score since I scored a 13 on AAMC #8, but I will apply a few MD and add in my in-state DOs for this cycle. My ECs are strong and my GPA is 3.6+ so there is still a chance for MD but it will be an uphill battle. Planning a retake in December for the 2015 cycle.

Last edited:
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 27 (8/10/9).
Comments: Not happy, especially with the Bio score since I scored a 13 on AAMC #8, but I will apply a few MD and add in my in-state DOs for this cycle. My ECs are strong and my GPA is 3.6+ so there is still a chance for MD but it will be an uphill battle. My April was a 25 so at least I improved. Planning a retake in December for the 2015 cycle.

Same score and same plan.

FL AAMC Average: 30
Post-test expected score: 27-32
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 29 (9/9/11).
Comments: Pretty disappointed. Not sure what to do now. Retake or not. I have a 3.8 cgpa and 3.6 science. EC's are mainly research based but no pubs.

Post-test expected score: 27
Actual Score: 30 (PS/V/BS) (9/9/12)
Comments: I'm super happy with my score!!! I thought I would honestly make a 5 on PS and I thought my verbal would be higher. I never made over a 9 on BS on any AAMC practice exams though. I'm so happy! This plus my GPA 3.95 should be great for my application!!

FL AAMC Average: 39.5
Post-test expected score: 35
Actual Score: 39 (PS/V/BS) (11/13/15)
Comments:
Very Happy with my score. So took in 2009 and got a 35 and re-took in 2012 and got a 33. But I'm Canadian and the school I want to get into has a hard cutoff of 11VR and 12 BS (so I'm not crazy for retaking those scores). I'm surprised because in the practice tests PS was my highest scored section. Very surprised with a 15 in Bio but I will take it. Haha.

FL AAMC Average: 39.5
Post-test expected score: 35
Actual Score: 39 (PS/V/BS) (11/13/15)
Comments:
Very Happy with my score. So took in 2009 and got a 35 and re-took in 2012 and got a 33. But I'm Canadian and the school I want to get into has a hard cutoff of 11VR and 12 BS (so I'm not crazy for retaking those scores). I'm surprised because in the practice tests PS was my highest scored section. Very surprised with a 15 in Bio but I will take it. Haha.

Great job. What school is that? How did you prep??

Hey guys...another long-time lurker here. Just wanted to check in and maybe get a little feedback if anyone would be so kind as to share some. Just scored a 31 (which I'm definitely happy about since I've been out of school over 3 years), but I'm a little worried about the breakdown--8/13/10. Not sure I want to risk a retake (already signed up for Aug. 15), but would definitely like a better PS score. Besides being nontrad, my application is pretty standard...think I should be worried about that 8 or just go with it???

Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 27 (8/10/9).
Comments: Not happy, especially with the Bio score since I scored a 13 on AAMC #8, but I will apply a few MD and add in my in-state DOs for this cycle. My ECs are strong and my GPA is 3.6+ so there is still a chance for MD but it will be an uphill battle. My April was a 25 so at least I improved. Planning a retake in December for the 2015 cycle.

i hope you check the msar to see which schools take a december mcat for the 2015 entering. from my application list of ~15 lowish tier MD schools (im applying this cycle) basically no school accepted an mcat beyond september 2014 for 2015 entering.

Great job. What school is that? How did you prep??

University of Western Ontario.
I studied for 4 months using TBR for gen chem and physics and TPR for Bio and Orgo. Since i work full-time (been out of school for a few years) I would come home and study from 9pm-1am or so. I didn't follow any pre-set schedule like SN2. I just gave myself what i felt like was enough time to get all the material in. Didn't do any of the AAMC's until the month before the test.
I don't really have any suggestions as everyone studies and learns differently. I didn't have any rest days. I made sure that every day I studied at least a little bit. I did a LOT of EK101 and the TPR Verbal material.

i hope you check the msar to see which schools take a december mcat for the 2015 entering. from my application list of ~15 lowish tier MD schools (im applying this cycle) basically no school accepted an mcat beyond september 2014 for 2015 entering.

Where on MSAR can you find which schools accept which mcats?

Expected Score: 29 (9/8/11)
Score: 26 (10/5/11). This is my first time taking the MCAT and verbal KILLED me. I basically did the entire EK 1001 verbal book and my average was between 8-9 which is fine by me but a 5!!!!!! I have no idea what went wrong. I did run out of time on 2 questions for the last passage so I was expecting at least a 7 or 8. I appreciate any advice to improve my verbal score or any MCAT verbal books other than EK. I am a Bio Major/English minor so I read a LOT. I have a 3.96 GPA, 700+ volunteer hours, research and shadowing experience. I always knew this stupid exam will be a pain :(

FL AAMC Average: 32
Post-test expected score: 27-31
Actual Score: 33(PS/V/BS) (12/11/10)
Comments: I'M SOOO FREAKING HAPPY!! I have a 3.9 GPA, so I am pretty sure that this MCAT is good enough (hopefully). This is the highest my Verbal has ever been. I am a little surprised by Biological, but a 10 works. Physical has always been my best score (Chem major), so I kinda expected a 13. But I am relieved to have above a 30.

FL AAMC Average: 28
Post-test expected score: 22-26
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 28 (9/9/10)
Comments: Honestly, relieved and happy. Studied on my own for 6 months while working full-time. Not a good standardized test taker to begin with, so I was ecstatic with the result of this horrendous MCAT. I mainly applied to DO schools and a handful of MDs, just for funsies to see if I got any nibbles. I have a cgpa of 3.5 and a sgpa of 3.1. Five years of research, worked two jobs (research and tutor) during most of my undergrad as well. Volunteered over 200 hours and currently a hospice volunteer.

Best of luck to all of you with your future endeavors. Remember, a test does not define you or your quality as a person.

Reactions: 5 users
FL AAMC Average: 27
Post-test expected score: 22
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS)
28 (7/11/10)
Comments: Wow. Honestly, I am so happy. That PS section killed me ... like I felt confident on 5 answers. My practice test averages were 9/9/9 across the board every time, so it would have been awesome to get a 9/11/10, but I am SO happy that it's a 7 and not a 4. I was expecting a 4. I did not pick up a verbal or biology book to study for the MCAT. Literally spent the entire 6 months studying physics and I STILL sucked at it... but I think this should be OK to apply for DO school sGPA 3.53, cGPA 3.65. Hopefully I get in somewhere... can't decide if I should retake. I have really good LORs, one from harvard, one from the head of the biology department, and i won research awards etc... should I apply for MD too?

I really love your attitude. After working a 6 hour shift (and I am grateful for that shift...kept me moving and I had to keep it together and not mope) I am a lot more content with my score. I had a freaking 5 point increase in my score, and I have to stop comparing myself to the people who are trying to go to Harvard and want 38's. No I'm not entirely satisfied with my score, but I did well. I damn sure did better than last time.

My decision so far, and I'm still going to sleep on it and think for a few days, is as follows. I'm applying this year, no matter what. Applying to all DO schools I had planned, and applying to my two in state MD schools, and one school in the city I currently live in. Not considered in state, but the average is 24-32 MCAT, and they're more acceptable of OOS students.

I may retake in December with the intention of using that score for the entering 2016 class. Not optimal, since this is my gap year already, but depending on how the application cycle goes now, we will see. I think I have a very good chance at DO schools. I think I have a pretty decent shot at my in-state and home-town school. We'll see. One thing I am sure of is that be it this year or next or heck, even the next, I WILL be a doctor and I WILL get in to medical school.

Oh, and I do think you should apply MD. What's the worst that can happen? 28 is certainly within range for in state schools depending on where you live.

Looks like most people who were disappointed stayed away from this board after scores were released. Congrats to the high scorers, don't give up to those who were disappointed. We'll get through this! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Total AAMC FL Average: 30.8
AAMC 9-11 Average: 31.7
Expected Score: 21-39

Actual Score: 35 (PS: 11, VR: 10, BS: 14)

So happy! This was exactly the score I was aiming for, and the highest score I've ever gotten on any practice exam was a 33. After even knowing for sure I got 5 BS questions wrong (and I was almost 100% sure they weren't trial questions), I was expecting only a 10 at most in BS. I was praying that my PS and VR scores could elevate my final score up. Little did I know, my BS ended up being my best section (I've never scored above a 13)! I was praying that my average AAMC score wouldn't be my final score, and thank god it wasn't.

I also consistently hit 8s on my VR in AAMC 9-11, which was really disconcerting, as they were the last practice tests I took (Also hit 8s on AAMC 3, 4, and 7). However, even though I felt like I wasn't burned out, my scores showed that I was. Looking back, I was definitly burnt out. That "do nothing the day before your MCAT" worked wonders on me in curing the burn out.

Also, two nights before the MCAT, I purposely slept 4-5 hours. I woke up early and worked out, but not too intensely. After that, I went for a quick jog and then watched movies the rest of the day while fighting the urge to nap. This made my body super tired, allowing me to fall asleep earlier. This worked wonders when, on the night before the MCAT, I passed out at 9pm and woke up at 6am, giving me ample amount of sleep (9 hours) without any waking up in the middle.

Total AAMC FL Average: 30.8
AAMC 9-11 Average: 31.7
Expected Score: 21-39

Actual Score: 35 (PS: 11, VR: 10, BS: 14)

So happy! This was exactly the score I was aiming for, and the highest score I've ever gotten on any practice exam was a 33. After even knowing for sure I got 5 BS questions wrong (and I was almost 100% sure they weren't trial questions), I was expecting only a 10 at most in BS. I was praying that my PS and VR scores could elevate my final score up. Little did I know, my BS ended up being my best section (I've never scored above a 13)! I was praying that my average AAMC score wouldn't be my final score, and thank god it wasn't.

I also consistently hit 8s on my VR in AAMC 9-11, which was really disconcerting, as they were the last practice tests I took (Also hit 8s on AAMC 3, 4, and 7). However, even though I felt like I wasn't burned out, my scores showed that I was. Looking back, I was definitly burnt out. That "do nothing the day before your MCAT" worked wonders on me in curing the burn out.

Also, two nights before the MCAT, I purposely slept 4-5 hours. I woke up early and worked out, but not too intensely. After that, I went for a quick jog and then watched movies the rest of the day while fighting the urge to nap. This made my body super tired, allowing me to fall asleep earlier. This worked wonders when, on the night before the MCAT, I passed out at 9pm and woke up at 6am, giving me ample amount of sleep (9 hours) without any waking up in the middle.

I"m so glad I saw this post tonight, it is super inspiring. I've been "studying" since March 22, but the kaplan class was garbage, and really been hitting it hardcore (20-30 hours per week) for maybe only the past month. My MCAT is on August 2, and I need to hit a 35 to compensate for my poor ugrad gpa 5+ years ago. I have never broken a 32 which was AAMC 7 last Thursday (10,10,12). This evening I took AAMC 3 and got a 31 (11,11,9!) and I was super upset. I'm like 15 days from my test and consistently scoring around a 30. I'm super happy to read your post and for your luck, skill, and achievment. I hope I can reproduce it on test day! I started getting up at 6am this week to prepare my body for test day also. If you have any other tips that would be awesome! GL this cycle!