The Official June 13, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funtertaining15

Average Wizard
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it's about time someone made one.
2nd and last time rescheduling this. At least I'll be done with finals in 2 weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

Test Date: 6/13/2014
FL AAMC Average: 35
Post-test expected score: 33
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS)
36 (10/11/15)
Comments: My main comment if I could truly stress it to anyone would be DO THE BERKELEY REVIEW PROBLEMS FOR PS. I did the AAMC FL and would regularly get 13-15's for PS on the concepts... it is not what they test anymore. I was an idiot and stopped, do not make my same mistake. Overall I'm pleased with my score... wish it was a bit more balanced but it is my target score and I'm very happy. One last thing... I crammed the entire Bio outline the night before (as in at 10PM with an 8am test the next morning) and got at least 3 questions right because of it--don't let anyone tell you otherwise, if you need to cram you need to cram.

Reactions: 1 user
i hope you check the msar to see which schools take a december mcat for the 2015 entering. from my application list of ~15 lowish tier MD schools (im applying this cycle) basically no school accepted an mcat beyond september 2014 for 2015 entering.

I meant December mcat for the 2015-2016 AMCAS cycle in case this year's doesn't work out.

I really love your attitude. After working a 6 hour shift (and I am grateful for that shift...kept me moving and I had to keep it together and not mope) I am a lot more content with my score. I had a freaking 5 point increase in my score, and I have to stop comparing myself to the people who are trying to go to Harvard and want 38's. No I'm not entirely satisfied with my score, but I did well. I damn sure did better than last time.

My decision so far, and I'm still going to sleep on it and think for a few days, is as follows. I'm applying this year, no matter what. Applying to all DO schools I had planned, and applying to my two in state MD schools, and one school in the city I currently live in. Not considered in state, but the average is 24-32 MCAT, and they're more acceptable of OOS students.

I may retake in December with the intention of using that score for the entering 2016 class. Not optimal, since this is my gap year already, but depending on how the application cycle goes now, we will see. I think I have a very good chance at DO schools. I think I have a pretty decent shot at my in-state and home-town school. We'll see. One thing I am sure of is that be it this year or next or heck, even the next, I WILL be a doctor and I WILL get in to medical school.

Oh, and I do think you should apply MD. What's the worst that can happen? 28 is certainly within range for in state schools depending on where you live.

Looks like most people who were disappointed stayed away from this board after scores were released. Congrats to the high scorers, don't give up to those who were disappointed. We'll get through this! :)
Thank you and good luck to you! You'll become a doctor I'm sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I"m so glad I saw this post tonight, it is super inspiring. I've been "studying" since March 22, but the kaplan class was garbage, and really been hitting it hardcore (20-30 hours per week) for maybe only the past month. My MCAT is on August 2, and I need to hit a 35 to compensate for my poor ugrad gpa 5+ years ago. I have never broken a 32 which was AAMC 7 last Thursday (10,10,12). This evening I took AAMC 3 and got a 31 (11,11,9!) and I was super upset. I'm like 15 days from my test and consistently scoring around a 30. I'm super happy to read your post and for your luck, skill, and achievment. I hope I can reproduce it on test day! I started getting up at 6am this week to prepare my body for test day also. If you have any other tips that would be awesome! GL this cycle!

Glad to hear this! After I took all my practice tests, I always knew somehow my final score would be greater than my practice scores. I desperately searched Student Doctor to see if this happened to anyone, and sure enough, there were a couple instances where this did happen. This really gave me the hope I needed to have that confidence on test day.

As for more tips on the MCAT, man I have a lot haha. I apologize for what I'm about to regurgitate, but I wanted to tell someone before I forget. Off the top of my head:

- Write down all the physical science formulas you have trouble remembering. Before you take the test, put these formulas on your phone or a sheet of paper and review them (depends on the test center whether you can read stuff before the test. If that's the case, then review them before you leave your car or house). This way, the formulas will be in your short-term memory. When you get to that 10min tutorial, dump all those formulas from your brain onto the scratch sheet. As our exam was intensely calculation heavy, I ended up being saved on two formulas with this method.

- I remember there are two 10 or 5 minute periods (for tutorial and exam agreement/confirm your name) before the physical science starts. Use these periods to calm your nerves down. You're usually very anxious before the test, but I found once I sat down, my nerves started to slowly die down. I used 90% of the time in these two periods to calm my ass down even more.

- This sounds really dumb, but it works. Train your bladder. You have no idea what could happen come test day. What I did was during my practice exams, I would drink some source of caffeine (as its a diuretic) then drink like 2 cups of water every break. This made me need to pee near the end of each section. In the end I ended up learning how to hold it in and focus out the urge to urinate. Also, always take the break to go to the bathroom. Unless you've been studying in the desert, 127 Hours style, then everyone is bound to have to go after a while.

- Kind of a repeat of what I said in my score report, but whatever. Don't ever let your test scores ruin your confidence. Three days before I took my test, I got a 30 on AAMC #11. Although I was disappointed at first, I realized how lucky I was to catch these mistakes now then never. After my post-game analysis, I realized the mistake I made. And whadya know, a similar question popped up that I would have gotten wrong had it not been for AAMC #11.

- Like what h2med said, absolutely make sure you go over the topics lists sometime before the test. I never really focused on genes too in detail until the last week when I saw it was on the topics list, but whatdya know, our BS section had a bunch of specific genetic questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Glad to hear this! After I took all my practice tests, I always knew somehow my final score would be greater than my practice scores. I desperately searched Student Doctor to see if this happened to anyone, and sure enough, there were a couple instances where this did happen. This really gave me the hope I needed to have that confidence on test day.

As for more tips on the MCAT, man I have a lot haha. I apologize for what I'm about to regurgitate, but I wanted to tell someone before I forget. Off the top of my head:

- Write down all the physical science formulas you have trouble remembering. Before you take the test, put these formulas on your phone or a sheet of paper and review them (depends on the test center whether you can read stuff before the test. If that's the case, then review them before you leave your car or house). This way, the formulas will be in your short-term memory. When you get to that 10min tutorial, dump all those formulas from your brain onto the scratch sheet. As our exam was intensely calculation heavy, I ended up being saved on two formulas with this method.

- I remember there are two 10 or 5 minute periods (for tutorial and exam agreement/confirm your name) before the physical science starts. Use these periods to calm your nerves down. You're usually very anxious before the test, but I found once I sat down, my nerves started to slowly die down. I used 90% of the time in these two periods to calm my ass down even more.

- This sounds really dumb, but it works. Train your bladder. You have no idea what could happen come test day. What I did was during my practice exams, I would drink some source of caffeine (as its a diuretic) then drink like 2 cups of water every break. This made me need to pee near the end of each section. In the end I ended up learning how to hold it in and focus out the urge to urinate. Also, always take the break to go to the bathroom. Unless you've been studying in the desert, 127 Hours style, then everyone is bound to have to go after a while.

- Kind of a repeat of what I said in my score report, but whatever. Don't ever let your test scores ruin your confidence. Three days before I took my test, I got a 30 on AAMC #11. Although I was disappointed at first, I realized how lucky I was to catch these mistakes now then never. After my post-game analysis, I realized the mistake I made. And whadya know, a similar question popped up that I would have gotten wrong had it not been for AAMC #11.

- Like what h2med said, absolutely make sure you go over the topics lists sometime before the test. I never really focused on genes too in detail until the last week when I saw it was on the topics list, but whatdya know, our BS section had a bunch of specific genetic questions.

This is some great advice. I got a 32 three days before my actual MCAT and absolutely freaked out (after averaging a 35/36 on most others). Don't let the Practice tests get in your head. I also noticed so many mistakes on both AAMC 11 and 8 (32 and 33 respectively) that saved me from some easy missed points on the real deal. I know it is so trite by now, but your AAMC FL average should really be a good guide to what you should expect.

Hey guys...another long-time lurker here. Just wanted to check in and maybe get a little feedback if anyone would be so kind as to share some. Just scored a 31 (which I'm definitely happy about since I've been out of school over 3 years), but I'm a little worried about the breakdown--8/13/10. Not sure I want to risk a retake (already signed up for Aug. 15), but would definitely like a better PS score. Besides being nontrad, my application is pretty standard...think I should be worried about that 8 or just go with it???

look at the MSAR. Some schools have hard cut offs on each subject, others just have averages. Most of the schools I saw with hard cut offs wouldn't accept anything below a 10 in each subject but they were also the top tier schools. If this isn't your goal, you may be just fine with your current score. Best of luck.

FL AAMC Average: 29.6 (Literally received 29 on 4/6 FLs)
Post-test expected score: 29-32
Actual Score: 29 (7/11/11)
Comments: Looks like someone (ahem, moi) had PS hubris walking out of that exam, and boy oh boy did it spank me. I never did phenomenal in that section but received 9's in all FL except one. I think I really buggered myself by not time managing because I ended up having to rush through the chemistry passages (which usually save my grade). So the wind is totally knocked out of my sails here! I'm even surprised I only got an 11 in BS. Definitely too late to review and re-write, and the school I have the best shot of getting into up here is only taking old MCAT exams this cycle and continuing with the new ones from that point on.

Congrats to all of you who are happy with your grades! We all worked so damn hard!

FL AAMC Average: 33.8
Post-test expected score: didn't even try
Actual Score: 32 (11/11/10)
Comments: Little sad by my BS score, but what can you do. Just gotta hope some schools like me enough and can look past my first try (8/9/8) from last year. It's over! Time to sell some books!

FL AAMC Average: 33.8
Post-test expected score: didn't even try
Actual Score: 32 (11/11/10)
Comments: Little sad by my BS score, but what can you do. Just gotta hope some schools like me enough and can look past my first try (8/9/8) from last year. It's over! Time to sell some books!

Good for you for selling your books. I am burning mine.

Reactions: 3 users
FL AAMC Average: 35
Post-test expected score: 33
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS)
36 (10/11/15)
Comments: My main comment if I could truly stress it to anyone would be DO THE BERKELEY REVIEW PROBLEMS FOR PS. I did the AAMC FL and would regularly get 13-15's for PS on the concepts... it is not what they test anymore. I was an idiot and stopped, do not make my same mistake. Overall I'm pleased with my score... wish it was a bit more balanced but it is my target score and I'm very happy. One last thing... I crammed the entire Bio outline the night before (as in at 10PM with an 8am test the next morning) and got at least 3 questions right because of it--don't let anyone tell you otherwise, if you need to cram you need to cram.

Have you done any of the Kaplan practice tests or quizzes or problems? They are a mixture of calculations and concepts and I'm wondering if this will be good enough for the new PS sections they seem to be testing... Nice score btw!!

Thanks so much for the tips! I think I will have to get one of those AAMC outlines especially for the bio. I made flashcards and now I have like 120 flaschards mostly for bio. Its good because as I review/learn new stuff (like just learned the nervous system today), I forget the older stuff a bit (like what all the 5 WBCs are and the humoral v. cell mediated immune response etc), so I wonder on the utility of re-reading old chapters or just learning the most cursory knowledge from my flashcards and the aamc outlines..? I haven't even touched organic yet, may want to get on that I suppose..

Also, were your test scores balanced or were they really erratic - all consistently around 31? Nice job on the score again and thanks for the tips!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for the tips! I think I will have to get one of those AAMC outlines especially for the bio. I made flashcards and now I have like 120 flaschards mostly for bio. Its good because as I review/learn new stuff (like just learned the nervous system today), I forget the older stuff a bit (like what all the 5 WBCs are and the humoral v. cell mediated immune response etc), so I wonder on the utility of re-reading old chapters or just learning the most cursory knowledge from my flashcards and the aamc outlines..? I haven't even touched organic yet, may want to get on that I suppose..

Also, were your test scores balanced or were they really erratic - all consistently around 31? Nice job on the score again and thanks for the tips!!
For me, I just googled the stuff, but if I needed to know something more detailed I would re-read the chapter

And here was my breakdown. my verbal was scoring well on 5 and 6 and then dropped suddenly and remained at 8. On AAMC #8, I took two days off right before and didn't do any studying at all, and it returned back to 10. Then when I resumed my normal schedule, my verbal went back down to 8s.
2ihntww.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
FL AAMC Average: ~38-39
Post-test expected score: 36-39
Actual Score: 38 (14/11/13)
Comments: I am posting because it has been helpful for me to review others' AAMC practice scores and compare them to their 'actual' MCAT, so I guess I would be returning the favor. The real test was more challenging than the practice exams, for me, in Physical and Biological Sciences (perhaps reflecting a shift in focus). Although the lower difficulty level of the practice tests almost seems deceiving, I think they are a good resource for practicing test-taking, timing, and general content review. This is a guess that's only weakly supported, but I would not be surprised if the scaling is different to allow for a more lenient curve on the real exam (i.e. more questions incorrect to receive the equivalent score), so long as the scale is set by previous test-taker responses...those mysterious experimental questions. I am curious how the new exam will be scored. My two cents for test-takers is not to estimate your score based on numbers of questions you probably answered wrong. Instead of "trust your average", my recommendation would be to subtract 1 point from your average, and there is a very high likelihood you scored in that neighborhood or higher.

I wish I could have taken this test so that I would have enjoyed the World Cup while waiting for the scores.

MCAT: 11 P.S 9 VR 11 B.S Total 31
GPA: sGPA 2.89 cGPA 3.09 (AMCAS) sGPA 3.01 sGPA 3.13 (AACOMAS)

I'm a Texas resident, I have about 300 hours worth of shadowing, 120 hours volunteering at a hospital, 600 volunteering in a lab, 200 working in a lab.
I applied to most D.O schools, Texas schools, and a few out of state M.D schools.

Do I have a chance?

***Disclaimer: My online Kaplan account I used for test-taking expired after the MCAT date, so my stats are the closest I can recall from memory.***

Test Date:
6/13/2014
FL AAMC Average: 34.5 (PS: 11 VR: 12 BS: 13 ); ranged from 30-39, general upward trend as studying continued (though of course outliers popped up)
Post-test expected score: Worried about PS, 30-35
Actual Score: 37 ( PS: 10 / VR: 13 / BS: 14)
Comments: SO thankful to be done with the MCAT, and to have scored near my best of practice tests. Strangely my Kaplan FLs were better predictors of my actual score than the AAMC ones, but I'm not complaining. Looking back, it seems to me that your average raw score (x/144 questions) on practice tests is the most accurate predictor of how many questions you'll get right on test day– with your x/15 score in each category left at the mercy of the curve. If anyone has questions about test day, the test, study materials or habits I'm happy to answer.

***Disclaimer: My online Kaplan account I used for test-taking expired after the MCAT date, so my stats are the closest I can recall from memory.***

Test Date:
6/13/2014
FL AAMC Average: 34.5 (PS: 11 VR: 12 BS: 13 ); ranged from 30-39, general upward trend as studying continued (though of course outliers popped up)
Post-test expected score: Worried about PS, 30-35
Actual Score: 37 ( PS: 10 / VR: 13 / BS: 14)
Comments: SO thankful to be done with the MCAT, and to have scored near my best of practice tests. Strangely my Kaplan FLs were better predictors of my actual score than the AAMC ones, but I'm not complaining. Looking back, it seems to me that your average raw score (x/144 questions) on practice tests is the most accurate predictor of how many questions you'll get right on test day– with your x/15 score in each category left at the mercy of the curve. If anyone has questions about test day, the test, study materials or habits I'm happy to answer.
How did you feel about verbal/bio coming out of the exam (how many bio questions do u think u got wrong )?

Have you done any of the Kaplan practice tests or quizzes or problems? They are a mixture of calculations and concepts and I'm wondering if this will be good enough for the new PS sections they seem to be testing... Nice score btw!!
I did a few of the Kaplan PS practice exams a few days before my real MCAT and yes, they are definitely much more accurate to what is on the real exam (at least my exam) than the AAMCFL. The Kaplan one's are really hard but trust me, it is very worth it to sit down and work through them. I wanted to stick my head in the sand and pretend that it would just be like AAMCFL's and I wish I hadn't.

MCAT: 11 P.S 9 VR 11 B.S Total 31
GPA: sGPA 2.89 cGPA 3.09 (AMCAS) sGPA 3.01 sGPA 3.13 (AACOMAS)

I'm a Texas resident, I have about 300 hours worth of shadowing, 120 hours volunteering at a hospital, 600 volunteering in a lab, 200 working in a lab.
I applied to most D.O schools, Texas schools, and a few out of state M.D schools.

Do I have a chance?

I first want to stress that this is my best educated guess. From everyone I've talked to including my TAs (all of whom got into medical school) and my professors in my grad program (med school faculty), it will be difficult for you to get in this cycle. You have a good MCAT, past that golden number of 30 and balanced, but that GPA will hinder you. My undergrad GPAs are similar to yours and even though I partly did a graduate program because I was not ready to go through the process of taking the MCAT and applying, it was mainly because of my GPAs. If you can afford it and are really adamant about trying to get in this cycle, then you could take a shot at it and see what happens. If not, I would suggest a science based masters program or SMP. I didn't apply to an SMP because I didn't have an MCAT score. But my degree will be in physiology at a pretty good school so it is an intensive science curriculum. Also if you do decide to go down that route, know that its your second chance and you'll have to crush those classes. Great job on the MCAT and best of luck to you!

P.S. Just speaking about MD schools, I think you could be a good candidate for DO. Don't know as much about the requirements and stuff though :)

Last edited:
I'm an Indian-American (asian), and I recently got a mcat score of a 31 (PS:10/VR:9/BS:12) for 6/13 date, first time. I'm not shooting for the top 10's, but I am looking for a decent MD school in the U.S. for the 2015 cycle. I've posted here before but wanted to give more specifics

I was wondering if anyone at all could give me some insight as to retake (that 9 verbal is worrying me). Here's a quick breakdown of my bio

3.8 gpa, ~3.8 sgpa
Over 150 hrs of shadowing (3 diff medical fields)
2 Research stints (1 clinical research resulting in a publication in a high impact journal)
~200 hrs of volunteering (Hospice, medical missions, numerous charitable events)
Private tutor for children in local area and held a higher managing position in employment for the company
Member and held positions in a fraternity
double major: biology, exercise science
top 40 undergrad school (if that matters)

Basically just want to get into a medical school here in the U.S. with a good chance of obtaining residency. Hopefully those who read this can help me. Good luck to everyone else in their endeavors! Keep at it, no one said it would be easy :).

Take care

How did you feel about verbal/bio coming out of the exam (how many bio questions do u think u got wrong )?

I had mixed feelings about verbal as always, since it is a crapshoot–5 questions wrong can be the difference between a 10 and a 15–but from consistently scoring in the 11-14 range on practice FLs I knew I wouldn't do too poorly. I felt pretty confident in Bio section, as I had been scoring well in bio on practice FLs, 12-15. There was only one passage that was very difficult (anyone who took the June 13 test knows which), but I took my time with it and probably answered/guessed most right. My estimation would be that I got 1-4 questions wrong in the section.

10/11/10
total:31

I have a 3.95 sGPA, and I am inclined not to retake b/c I'm liking the verbal score. My AAMC avg was 33, but I knew the physics in the PS screwed me.

hoping @brood910 got the score he was looking for. dudes been very helpful to others on here (from what I've seen), hope it worked out!

Thanks for the very kind words, guys.
But I guess I did not try hard enough.. Got the same verbal score lol.. I will just apply and see if I get any love from the schools.

I first want to stress that this is my best educated guess. From everyone I've talked to including my TAs (all of whom got into medical school) and my professors in my grad program (med school faculty), it will be difficult for you to get in this cycle. You have a good MCAT, past that golden number of 30 and balanced, but that GPA will hinder you. My undergrad GPAs are similar to yours and even though I partly did a graduate program because I was not ready to go through the process of taking the MCAT and applying, it was mainly because of my GPAs. If you can afford it and are really adamant about trying to get in this cycle, then you could take a shot at it and see what happens. If not, I would suggest a science based masters program or SMP. I didn't apply to an SMP because I didn't have an MCAT score. But my degree will be in physiology at a pretty good school so it is an intensive science curriculum. Also if you do decide to go down that route, know that its your second chance and you'll have to crush those classes. Great job on the MCAT and best of luck to you!

P.S. Just speaking about MD schools, I think you could be a good candidate for DO. Don't know as much about the requirements and stuff though :)

Thank you for the advice! I'm actually more concerned about DO than MD.