The Official June 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abraxas305

Bark Bark
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we can talk about all things MCAT 2015.
Just registered too!

Members don't see this ad.

Me too... going to have to time up that application verification with the score release date in July ugh.

Actually question... Is it a disadvantage taking this thing in June? I couldn't find any good locations in May so opted for a place nearby in June. I'm kinda worried about it.

It should be all good if I just submit my AMCAS very early in June right?

Last edited:
That was my plan. The way I see it, I want to be fully prepared for the exam and if that means giving up ~ 1 month to potentially get a higher score due to better preparation, then so be it.

That was my plan. The way I see it, I want to be fully prepared for the exam and if that means giving up ~ 1 month to potentially get a higher score due to better preparation, then so be it.

That was my thinking as well along with the convenient location factor. I opted for June 20th. For some reason taking a standardized exam on Saturday just felt right compared to a weekday. lol. Guess it stems from all the SATs/ACTs being held on weekends.

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too... going to have to time up that application verification with the score release date in July ugh.

Actually question... Is it a disadvantage taking this thing in June? I couldn't find any good locations in May so opted for a place nearby in June. I'm kinda worried about it.

It should be all good if I just submit my AMCAS very early in June right?

What you mean? You can submit amcas without mcat score. AMCAS still will verify it and then add your MCAT score once its released.

Just registered for June 19th. No seats in IL for May unfortunately. $300 is ridiculous!

Reactions: 1 users
Well, guess I will be joining you in June. No seats in the Midwest. Hopefully the extra month of studying will help.

When will scores be out for june 20th mcat? and when does amcas send apps because I heard they will delay all apps until late june..

What you mean? You can submit amcas without mcat score. AMCAS still will verify it and then add your MCAT score once its released.

Right so submit it in June and wait until the 21st of July. Schools won't see the application until at least 21st of July right?

Right so submit it in June and wait until the 21st of July. Schools won't see the application until at least 21st of July right?
is that when june scores get back? Im pretty sure schools can see ur application without mcat. anyone can confirm?

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe schools can see your application, but they won't review anything until your file is complete (primary, MCAT, LORs, transcripts AND secondaries). So basically they place your file in a holding place until all materials are received. That's what I've been told by 2 TX adcom counselors.

I'm 90% sure I'm going to take the test in June. Do you guys think it will put us at a disadvantage in terms of time for getting secondaries in? Everyone says the best thing to do is apply early and broadly so I don't know how much of a difference a few weeks makes.

Either way I know it will be better to wait and take the test when I'm most prepared, but I was also rashly considering taking another year off to boost my app.

I was under the impression that most, if not all schools start reviewing applications early July?

We won't be early, but we won't be late. My new strategy is to apply to one school, get verified, then submit the rest of the applications when I know my score in July. I also plan to pre-write the secondaries so that I will have a quick turnaround time.

I can't believe May dates were taken so quickly. I had early morning classes and when I got back...all the seats were taken.

I guess that puts be into June!

I'm in here too. June 19th in Texas.

I'm planning on using TBR books, replacing maybe Bio with and Orgo with TPR. I'll see which one I prefer when I get to it.

My biggest question is what are you guys planning on using for reviewing the new Biochem/Psych/Socio section? I'm leaning towards these two
www.randomhouse.com/princetonreview/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780804125048
http://www.randomhouse.com/princetonreview/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780804124737

With no reason other than TPR is a well trusted company and TBR isn't planning on shipping out their materials for those sections until late May, at best.

I got TPR complete all in one book but didn't like it so I returned it the same week. Examkrackers finally came into stock and I've liked their material and style, so I bought the pack with the separate books. Haven't looked at the ones for the new section yet though. I didn't take psych or sociology in school so I also printed out the "What's on the New MCAT" file and started going through the topics doing background research on them. Also watched a lot of the Khan Academy videos on the topics, but I don't know how much of the information they provide is necessary...

I have both PR and Kaplan. I am using PR more for content review and Kaplan in case I want to go more in-depth. I have old Examcrackers that I use for questions. Right now I am taking Biochem, Physics and Sociology, so I am focusing my content review on biology and psych. I also purchased the AAMC test sets but won't use them until this weekend.
My biggest concern is running out of practice tests/problems. I haven't tried any of the Khan Academy videos so what do you think of the content? I heard there are plenty of sample questions.

Just registered for June 19th, and I'll be driving 160 miles to my test location.

Last edited:
Just registered for the 20th here. I hope there's a ton of cold turkey takers when we take it that way the curve will be forgiving.

Using a combination of my old MCAT books + Kap 528, TPR Psych/Soc/Biology/Biochem and AAMC Question packs/Official Guide.

Practice test wise
1 AAMC Sample FL
5 NS FLs
3 TPR FLs
1 Kaplan FL

Does anybody know if TPR's 8 FLs overlap with the 3 you get from purchasing one of their new MCAT2015 books?

Anybody recommend what text to use for Psych/Soci if you haven't taken the class.

We won't be early, but we won't be late. My new strategy is to apply to one school, get verified, then submit the rest of the applications when I know my score in July. I also plan to pre-write the secondaries so that I will have a quick turnaround time.

This is what I will be doing as well. I think the verification process is the big bottle neck in the application cycle?

PSA for self-studiers looking for more practice exams: TPR has a 2015 Test package where you get 8 FL for $299. I just got off the phone with a phone rep and she said these exams are DIFFERENT from the 3 FL you would get if you purchased any of their content books. So you can basically have 12 FL (TPR's 11 FL + AAMC FL) to practice with it!

DON'T BUY IT! Silly me, I didn't' read the fine print. Basically you really only get 3-4 NEW FLs for $299. The other tests can be found in their prep books.

Here's what I'm gonna use for FLs (works well for May/June takers)
AAMC #1 sample test (1)
TPR Fl + mini test (5)
Kaplan diagnostic (1)
NS 5 full-lengths ($149)+ half diagnostic (6)
GS free practice test + FL (6) (available in March-May)
TOTAL: 19 FL

Last edited:
I'm in here too. June 19th in Texas.

I'm planning on using TBR books, replacing maybe Bio with and Orgo with TPR. I'll see which one I prefer when I get to it.

My biggest question is what are you guys planning on using for reviewing the new Biochem/Psych/Socio section? I'm leaning towards these two
www.randomhouse.com/princetonreview/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780804125048
http://www.randomhouse.com/princetonreview/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780804124737

With no reason other than TPR is a well trusted company and TBR isn't planning on shipping out their materials for those sections until late May, at best.
I am also in texas will we be late for the cycle because tmdsas or w.e. opens may 1st?

PSA for self-studiers looking for more practice exams: TPR has a 2015 Test package where you get 8 FL for $299. I just got off the phone with a phone rep and she said these exams are DIFFERENT from the 3 FL you would get if you purchased any of their content books. So you can basically have 12 FL (TPR's 11 FL + AAMC FL) to practice with it!
Awesome thanks for the information!

Is anyone else checking multiple times a day for updates? Last night a lot of states showed up, but they all said No Seats Available. It has become my mission in life to move to the May test date.

Reactions: 1 user
I think whats most concerning for me is not having any idea what the hell a competitve MCAT score is based on the new scale.

June 19th here.
Material:
TPR Psych and Soc since it came with 3 tests
Freelance-Teach for everything physics.
Gen Chem I as a Second Language for Chem
Orgo I as a Second Language and Orgo II as a Second Language for Orgo
Kevin Ahern's Bite Sized Biochemistry Youtube Channel for All Biochem
All The ExamKrackers 7th Editions
All EK 1001 Books
Khan Academy - All MCAT Videos and Passages, Plus General Sciences, Health Sciences, and Other Test's Videos. There's overlap in the topics covered, but different sections cover the topics differently.
AAMC FL plus Question Package

With a June test date it's do or die. I'm going to make it count.

I think whats most concerning for me is not having any idea what the hell a competitve MCAT score is based on the new scale.

Focus on the percentiles. But in any case there's a lot of buzz saying 510 is then new 30. So aim for a 510 and up! Best of luck!!

Focus on the percentiles. But in any case there's a lot of buzz saying 510 is then new 30. So aim for a 510 and up! Best of luck!!

My guess is b/c noone seems to know what a good score is, and because noone can estimate their score b/c there aren't aamc practice tests, there will be much less "voids" happening this year. In AAMC's twitter chat, they said percentiles are based on the data they have from the test takers who took exam during a given testing year...based on this and the lack of accurate data of what a "good score" is on new mcat, just do your best studying and submit your test on test day based on the fact that you studied hard and should do well

Does anyone have a study schedule yet? I plan to follow SN2ed schedule and somehow modify it but I haven't done so yet. Please me know if you could share how you plan out your studying. Thank you.

Does anyone have a study schedule yet? I plan to follow SN2ed schedule and somehow modify it but I haven't done so yet. Please me know if you could share how you plan out your studying. Thank you.

I'm doing a modified NS schedule (see attached). I will be studying more than 100 days so I spread some stuff out and I am using Kaplan instead of EK. I like it because it incorporates the Khan Academy videos.

Edit: here is the link that explains the schedule.

Attachments

• Next Step MCAT Study Schedule SDN-2.xlsx
    13.2 KB · Views: 242
My materials list for content:

PS:
TBR Gchem and Physics
- following directly from the 2015 outline and omitting stuff like Uniform circular motion etc and anything else removed from the outline.
EK Gchem and Physics
- just for skimming purposes
Supplementary:
Khan Academy
- on the weekends I watch all the Khan academy vids for the section I did that week; saving all the passages there for after content review
Hyperphysics
- great source to solidify concepts to a higher level. Using this because PS is my weakest subject and I can learn a lot more through concepts presented in different ways.
Wikipremed FC
- bar none, this is the best set of FC I've ever seen. This is a must to get from an avg score to a top tier score.
Fundamentals of Physics by (I forgot the authors name an I don't have the book with me currently so I'll update when I do)
- Great for extra practice or solidifying concepts that weren't explained very well in TBR
Chemistry 8th edition by Zumdahl
- reference and more practice questions basically

BS:
TBR Bio
- It's detailed enough for the new biochem and MOST of the passages are of good quality. The biochem passages seem similar to what could be tested on the exam. Following directly from 2015 outline.
Supplementary:
Khan academy
- same as above
A&P by Saladin
- Reference
Biochemistry by Voet
- Reference
Wikipremed
- Author gives a lot of great information in an integrated way for the BS section
TBR Orgo and EK 9th edition Chem (using for orgo only)
- mainly using TBR for total content review but omitting quite a bit of stuff. Using them from passages too.
Wikipedia
- mostly for Bio/biochem referencing

Psych/Socio-
TPR Psych/Socio
- I like how the book is directly based on the content outline and I can jsut check them off if I covered the concept. Any concept I am "weak" on I just bring out my trusty Psych book (which I kept all these years because it is really good) and I review there.

Verbal
TPRH VR
EK VR 101
NS VR
AAMC VR

For post content: I plan on doing all the Khan Academy passages, TPRH SW, along with taking ~12-15 practice tests leading up to the exam. Basically following a rough schedule of SN2ED's guide that is suited to my needs.

Hey, can anyone chime in on the AAMC bundle? Is it structured like the SA before in which you have to complete the full set to review your answers?
ALso,

Sup guys. June 19th test taker here. Just ordered EK 9th edition and plan to supplement content review with khan academy videos and use NS half lengths plus AAMC official practice test for practice. Hope its enough and I'm hoping the curve is lenient because I don't think people in previous years put too much effort into the experimental section.

Sup guys. June 19th test taker here. Just ordered EK 9th edition and plan to supplement content review with khan academy videos and use NS half lengths plus AAMC official practice test for practice. Hope its enough and I'm hoping the curve is lenient because I don't think people in previous years put too much effort into the experimental section.

Just make sure you do practice passages and tests throughout your studying. I can't stress this enough as I used EK to study for old exam, followed a diligent study schedule, but did not incorporate practice exams or aamc practice passages until after my first 2 months of studying. I was only able to get my score into the 20s and therefore voided my old exam. EK is pretty concise which is fine, just make sure you are practicing strategy, format, etc in addition to learning the content.

Just make sure you do practice passages and tests throughout your studying. I can't stress this enough as I used EK to study for old exam, followed a diligent study schedule, but did not incorporate practice exams or aamc practice passages until after my first 2 months of studying. I was only able to get my score into the 20s and therefore voided my old exam. EK is pretty concise which is fine, just make sure you are practicing strategy, format, etc in addition to learning the content.

Yes absolutely. Practice is key to determining strengths and weaknesses. I'm going to try to do a NS half exam every 2 weeks to make sure I'm progressing. The biggest issue for me is that I get tired due to the length of the exam so I need to condition myself for the long length. Doesn't help that they essentially made the exam twice as long.

I was under the impression that most, if not all schools start reviewing applications early July?
Where did you get this information from? I am from Texas and our application date starts may 1st so getting my score July 21 is going to pretty late for me I think.

Lol. So you can pay the MCAT fee twice? Must be nice, Richey McRich. I got the fee reduction, and it was still too much money for me. I'm poor.