The Official June 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abraxas305

Bark Bark
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we can talk about all things MCAT 2015.
Just registered too!

Members don't see this ad.

I personally though it was a little bit more challenging...however right now Im working more with the next step passages... And well I feel like Im doing a little better in the aamcs, i just need to learn to focus more...

Non trad here. Married with 2 kids( 5 and 3yr old) Plus I work 40hrs a week. It has been insanely difficult to stick to a study regimen. If I didn't have to work I would not have half the stress. But that is not an option for me. I take the MCAT in June but I'm still doing content review. I have ramped up studying so I'm squeezing in at least 8-10 hrs a day but my body is suffering for it. So I have do the AAMC question pack and I should be done with context review by end of May. Wondering if I should push it to July to have ample time to do FL exams. Any advice?

I personally though it was a little bit more challenging...however right now Im working more with the next step passages... And well I feel like Im doing a little better in the aamcs, i just need to learn to focus more...

Just making sure - if you've seen the "lol next step" thread on here, it seems they have some problems with plagiarizing other sources. In your case, do you feel like your book was plagiarized from aamc?

Members don't see this ad :)
They are talking about the diagnosic. Im using the practice CARS book, so far none of the passages resemble the ones in the aamc package, in fact I found some of their passages to be more challenging than the aamc as I usually get more questions wrong in the next step passages and I breeze through some of the aamc passages. So I think overall is good pract.EK is good is just that I already used them when I was studying for the old mcat and For me I though they were just ok

Overall after spending so many months struggling with verbal, doing ek, princenton, kaplan, next step and even lsat passages I realized that how helpful the passages are varies by person. Some people swear by ek and they did fine some preferred other companies. Stick by what makes you feel more confident

What are you guys using for practice passage questions? So far I've done almost all of khan and taken 3 Kaplan full lengths but I want more passage practice

Overall after spending so many months struggling with verbal, doing ek, princenton, kaplan, next step and even lsat passages I realized that how helpful the passages are varies by person. Some people swear by ek and they did fine some preferred other companies. Stick by what makes you feel more confident

I did LSAT passages while studying for the old one. It kind of threw me off because I felt they were way harder and not realistic to AAMC. At first, I thought they were good practice but in the end I really realized it didn't. I wasn't a fan of EK101 either. I always thought the TPRH Verbal Workbook was way better for the old MCAT. Briefly did Kaplan verbal. No where near representative of the old MCAT. I was told to ignore TBR verbal by two 35+ scorers.

I did LSAT passages while studying for the old one. It kind of threw me off because I felt they were way harder and not realistic to AAMC. At first, I thought they were good practice but in the end I really realized it didn't. I wasn't a fan of EK101 either. I always thought the TPRH Verbal Workbook was way better for the old MCAT. Briefly did Kaplan verbal. No where near representative of the old MCAT. I was told to ignore TBR verbal by two 35+ scorers.
Yes I agree i started doing lsat bc i was running out of pract material. Berkeley review verbal is a joke, so right now im doing next step I feel many of their passages are good and def some are more challenging than aamcs. I feel im doing better in the aamc passages so I hope that translates into a good score in the real thing.

Yes I agree i started doing lsat bc i was running out of pract material. Berkeley review verbal is a joke, so right now im doing next step I feel many of their passages are good and def some are more challenging than aamcs. I feel im doing better in the aamc passages so I hope that translates into a good score in the real thing.

I'm taking the TPR course and my god... their online passages, some are easy and I get 4/5 or 5/5 usually on those. Most of them are medium level and have questions that have great "second best" answers. Occasionally I run into killer passages and the ICC book is filled with difficult later/killer passages (one of those passages felt like a slaughter lol... we did it as a class exercise and with a partner before discussing answers. By far the hardest verbal passage I have ever encountered and I've done all AAMC 3-11 VRs during my old prep).

I think TPR CARS is the most representative of how the old "real" MCAT felt. I always felt AAMC VR on the practice tests were far easier and more interesting to read.

Can anyone explain number 7 of the official guide in the physical section? Thanks

Sure! So the question is asking the amount of mechanical work being done from 10nm to 15nm. On the graph (figure 2) you can see that it is an extension vs force graph or in terms of units: meters vs Newtons. One thing to know about work is that it is in units of Joules, which can be expressed as N•m. So for this question you have to find the area under the graph (in this case the area of the triangle from 10nm to 15nm). So you using the formula (1/2) base • height you get (1/2) (5x10^-9nm) • (100x10^-12pN) --> (1/2) (500x10^-23) --> (250x10^-23) --> 2.5x10^-19 N•m or just 2.5x10^-19 J. Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Non trad here. Married with 2 kids( 5 and 3yr old) Plus I work 40hrs a week. It has been insanely difficult to stick to a study regimen. If I didn't have to work I would not have half the stress. But that is not an option for me. I take the MCAT in June but I'm still doing content review. I have ramped up studying so I'm squeezing in at least 8-10 hrs a day but my body is suffering for it. So I have do the AAMC question pack and I should be done with context review by end of May. Wondering if I should push it to July to have ample time to do FL exams. Any advice?

Wow, you have a busy schedule! I can't imagine how stressful that must be. Honestly, just keep doing whatever you can. See how you do on FLs (specifically the AAMC one) after you are finished with content review and decide. If you aren't in the range you want to be at then yes I would push the date back.

I echo the same sentiments as the previous poster. Take a practice test. I think a practice test will not only let you see where you are, but will give your studies more of a focus. I would not be too alarmed if the score is extremely low at first. These scores for the new MCAT seem to vary a lot, I managed to increase 5 points in a couple of days. You still have time. I know plenty of people that did content review up until two weeks test time and just took practice test after practice test afterwards and managed to score well. Keep on pushing!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sure! So the question is asking the amount of mechanical work being done from 10nm to 15nm. On the graph (figure 2) you can see that it is an extension vs force graph or in terms of units: meters vs Newtons. One thing to know about work is that it is in units of Joules, which can be expressed as N•m. So for this question you have to find the area under the graph (in this case the area of the triangle from 10nm to 15nm). So you using the formula (1/2) base • height you get (1/2) (5x10^-9nm) • (100x10^-12pN) --> (1/2) (500x10^-23) --> (250x10^-23) --> 2.5x10^-19 N•m or just 2.5x10^-19 J. Hope that helps!
Nice thanks! How did you do on the official guide?

Thank you for the advice! I plan on taking it by the 1st week of June. Based on all the comments from previous test takers I will also do all the Khan practice passages. At this point I'm riding on the fumes of sheer passion and ambition!!

Getting pretty discouraged here, out of curiosity how well is everyone scoring on the kaplan and TRP passages. I seem to have trouble even breaking 500. I know they are meant to be on the "difficult side" but WOW. Anyone having this issue or is it just me.

Nice thanks! How did you do on the official guide?

I'll have to check tomorrow on the exact percentages but I do remember I did well in cars (for my standards) 23/30 which is about a 10 in the old mcat. Cars is the main reason I have to retake so I was really happy doing well on aamc material.

Getting pretty discouraged here, out of curiosity how well is everyone scoring on the kaplan and TRP passages. I seem to have trouble even breaking 500. I know they are meant to be on the "difficult side" but WOW. Anyone having this issue or is it just me.

Don't be discouraged. I'm having trouble breaking 500 too but these exams should only be used for endurance to get ready for the aamc fl. Don't beat yourself up over these ones.

i started off at 500 and my average is coming out to 505, not putting too much weight into it as its probably not very predictive of the real thing except for time. I have completed 6 of the princeton FLs and 2 of the Kaplan, and 4 of the old aamc.

i started off at 500 and my average is coming out to 505, not putting too much weight into it as its probably not very predictive of the real thing except for time. I have completed 6 of the princeton FLs and 2 of the Kaplan, and 4 of the old aamc.
My TPR scores are about the same as yours. How do the Kaplan tests fair in comparison to TPR? And how are you scoring on the old ones?

I would like to take the test in june 2015 then on Jan 2016, does anyone know if the test is offered in Jan or only starts from april to sep?

I have taken 3 Kaplan FL, scored 499,501, and 504. I wouldn't worry about your Kaplan scores a whole lot, haven't really worked on official aamc stuff yet but after taking 3 of their exams I think it's probably a safe bet that they aren't that representative

My TPR scores are about the same as yours. How do the Kaplan tests fair in comparison to TPR? And how are you scoring on the old ones?
I have been scoring 32-35 range for the old AAMCs. Its been a few years so I expect to be rusty, However the new FL's are murdering me on biochem (never took it as an undergrad). The kaplan physics chem is the section i have been having the most trouble with and havent been seeing any improvement. Kaplan is a little more obtuse and tests for content. I think the TPR does a good job in making you interpret data / application- more along what i think the new test might be geared towards. But take all this with a grain of salt I havent touched the AAMC 2015 stuff yet. I also think kaplan's CARS might be too easy I have been getting 129s. Psych is also harder on Kaplan.

Last edited:
Had work for like 4 straight days after my EK 2.

EK 2 score: 508

I don't remember the breakdown and I don't wanna log in while my work computer but I haven't even been able to review my exam yet.

freakin' 12 hour scribe shifts :(

So everbody has been saying how good the bio berkeley material is but I just took the official guide questions and I found the bio to be more difficult... How did other people feel about these questions??

Did you think passage 3 of the nextstep skimming section was hard (chapter 4)? I got a lot wrong on that one ..

Yeah i though it was hard, also i made the mistake of thinking it was only until quest 15 and only with a minute left did I realize there were two more quest on the other page

Have you taking their FL?, I read that those and ek were the most representative after the aamc. I wanted to hear other people's opinions.

I have not, but since they are only about $30/exam, I might as well... From a quick search I gathered that they were harder than the aamc exams.

I just got wrecked by CARS on a FL. It baffles me how I can make straight A's and great test scores my whole life and then instantly be caught in a position where, no matter what I do, my scores in one section are the only thing destroying my lifelong dreams of becoming a doctor.

I just got wrecked by CARS on a FL. It baffles me how I can make straight A's and great test scores my whole life and then instantly be caught in a position where, no matter what I do, my scores in one section are the only thing destroying my lifelong dreams of becoming a doctor.
One bad FL does not ruin your goal of becoming a doctor.

Are you reviewing why you get wrong? As long as you score slightly above median scores and have good scores elsewhere your CARS score will not hurt you greatly.. remember this is a marathon not a sprint.

One bad FL does not ruin your goal of becoming a doctor.

Are you reviewing why you get wrong? As long as you score slightly above median scores and have good scores elsewhere your CARS score will not hurt you greatly.. remember this is a marathon not a sprint.
It's not just one FL, I'm consistently at or just below the median for CARS/VR and I've done hundreds of passages, mostly under timed conditions. On the old AAMC VR and EK VR I always made either a 7 or an 8. Today was a TPR FL and I got a 123 (53% correct). It was certainly somewhat of an off day where I didn't have much sleep and had trouble focusing but I run into consistent problems with simply not being fast enough, I have to guess on 2 entire passages out of 9 and people that have taken the new exam are making it seem like it will be even more of a factor on test day.

I do very good in the sciences but I have a good feeling anything below a 125/ 50%tile for CARS is going to set me back tremendously.

Thanks for the support though

Do you guys feel like the practice question pack by AAMC is a good source to turn into a pseudo-FL, or is it not representative enough and should just be used as practice?

Do you guys feel like the practice question pack by AAMC is a good source to turn into a pseudo-FL, or is it not representative enough and should just be used as practice?

The CARS question packs are very representative and I highly recommend you use those. The others definitely don't compare in that sense, but I still found them beneficial to use because they're the only questions we have that are like what you'll see on the real thing. But they're best for building endurance vs. simulating an actual 2015 exam.

June 19th test taker here. AAMC profile almost completed, and the ACOMAS I have not started on yet. I know they don't take a terribly long amount of time to compeltely fill out, but can someone give me a timeline on when I should have al lof this completely filled out and ready to apply? Obviously I know my MCAT score will not be available until JULY sometime, but I'm just trying to guestimate my timeline. I am applying to both DO and MD schools. the DO schools I visited in my home state of Oklahoma made it seem that if you got your application and MCAT score completely turned in by August 1st that would be sufficient. ANY one else have an opinion??? Sorry if this is a repost.

Hey guys, do any of you know what specific structures we should memorize for the biochem section? I've memorized all of the amino acids, but idk if I should put in added time memorizing the nucleic acid structure or the ATP structure.

Thanks!

Hey guys, do any of you know what specific structures we should memorize for the biochem section? I've memorized all of the amino acids, but idk if I should put in added time memorizing the nucleic acid structure or the ATP structure.

Thanks!

I would.

June 19th test taker here. AAMC profile almost completed, and the ACOMAS I have not started on yet. I know they don't take a terribly long amount of time to compeltely fill out, but can someone give me a timeline on when I should have al lof this completely filled out and ready to apply? Obviously I know my MCAT score will not be available until JULY sometime, but I'm just trying to guestimate my timeline. I am applying to both DO and MD schools. the DO schools I visited in my home state of Oklahoma made it seem that if you got your application and MCAT score completely turned in by August 1st that would be sufficient. ANY one else have an opinion??? Sorry if this is a repost.
From what I gathered, you want to be verified before you get your scores, which will be July 21. Looking at last years trend when verifications get done, your primary should be submitted before you take the MCAT (June 19). After you take the MCAT and before you get your scores, you should prewrite as many secondaries as much as possible. You want to have secondaries, if possible, done by the first of August (depending how fast you get secondaries). This is the perfect situation obviously, being later does not kill your chances.

From what I gathered, you want to be verified before you get your scores, which will be July 21. Looking at last years trend when verifications get done, your primary should be submitted before you take the MCAT (June 19). After you take the MCAT and before you get your scores, you should prewrite as many secondaries as much as possible. You want to have secondaries, if possible, done by the first of August (depending how fast you get secondaries). This is the perfect situation obviously, being later does not kill your chances.

Thank you so much for the information. This was well put. I apprecaite it greatly. Was hoping I wasn't too far behind on anything, and it seems im doing just fine!

I really want to try and get my application squared away before taking the MCAT.. but I have such little time as is to fill out the application. I plan on banging out everything needed afterwards. How long does the application verification take typically? I'm hoping not much longer than the ~1 month it takes to get scores

I really want to try and get my application squared away before taking the MCAT.. but I have such little time as is to fill out the application. I plan on banging out everything needed afterwards. How long does the application verification take typically? I'm hoping not much longer than the ~1 month it takes to get scores
2013-2014 verification dates can be found here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2013-2014-amcas-verification-thread.1011614/

It really seemed people who submitted June 19 took a month to be verified, which for us would line up perfectly when we get test scores. People who submitted a week after June 19 were not verified until mid August, which apparently is verging on the late scale.

What is your schedule like now? Extra hours may be needed, but break your application into bits. Honestly, it really is just work and activities and personal statement. Work and activities, can be done in a day, I have been told most adcoms gloss over this, so do not be neurotic over it. Just sum what you have done.

Now the personal statement is truly the bottleneck in getting the primary done. However, I think it can be done in the two weeks you have. Start brainstorming now. Write down to a letter to yourself why you want to do medical school and edit from there. People try to write the perfect personal statement with a unique theme and everything, but in reality the basics suffice just as well. No need to make it one of a kind, but make it truly define why you want to do medicine.

I would highly advise allotting time to get your application submitted before you take your MCAT, it is doable, just needs some extra time management.

Last tip in case you haven't opened up your application yet, you need to have transcripts sent to AMCAS. This can be a two week process, so look into it as soon as you can for all schools attended.

EDIT: I also might of spoken too soon, here is last year's verification thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2014-2015-amcas-verification-thread.1074177/page-13

Submitting after MCAT date last year seemed to be verified a week before test scores would be released.

Last edited:
Had work for like 4 straight days after my EK 2.

EK 2 score: 508

I don't remember the breakdown and I don't wanna log in while my work computer but I haven't even been able to review my exam yet.

freakin' 12 hour scribe shifts :(

EK doesn't give you scores... just raw percentages... :eyebrow:

Reactions: 1 users
Who is good at CARS here?!

Do you read the questions first, the passage first, what is your method!? Did you get better by practicing tons of passages, or were you always decent at verbal? Help meeeee