The Official June 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abraxas305

Bark Bark
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we can talk about all things MCAT 2015.
Just registered too!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, do people really think taking the MCAT June 20th for applying next cycle is too late..? I've seen a couple people say it is and I'm surprised.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, do people really think taking the MCAT June 20th for applying next cycle is too late..? I've seen a couple people say it is and I'm surprised.

I'm applying to TX schools and based on what i've read, early is considered anywhere from the opening of the application cycle up to mid July. We get scores back around the 3rd week of July so I'm not really worried about it. The trick is getting verified first and applying to one school.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm applying to TX schools and based on what i've read, early is considered anywhere from the opening of the application cycle up to mid July. We get scores back around the 3rd week of July so I'm not really worried about it. The trick is getting verified first and applying to one school.

What do you mean applying to one school?

Stomach Flu :(
Anyone study while sick? I really want to but I don't think I can function on the books for even 15 minutes.

What do you mean applying to one school?
When you submit your app on the first day, only pick one school out of your list just so you can get verified quickly. Then when your scores come out or maybe a week before your scores come out, add the rest of the schools you want to apply to, pay the fee and then wait for your scores to be sent, secondaries, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone using study materials for the old MCAT?? I'm signed up for June 19. But I don't know which old materials I should use, and which new ones are worth buying. Also, where can I find as many practice exams as I can??

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone using study materials for the old MCAT?? I'm signed up for June 19. But I don't know which old materials I should use, and which new ones are worth buying. Also, where can I find as many practice exams as I can??
I'm using old TBR material and the new TPR for psych/soc. If you buy one book from tpr you can register it online and get 3 fls. I think you can do something similar with NS but I'm not 100% sure on that. Try that with Kaplan too?

I'm using old TBR material and the new TPR for psych/soc. If you buy one book from tpr you can register it online and get 3 fls. I think you can do something similar with NS but I'm not 100% sure on that. Try that with Kaplan too?
I've heard you can just use the TPR ISBN to register online for the FLs

yeh, it works with Kaplan too.

I try to get between 1-2 hours of just content review with 2-3 hours of practice problems. I'm a retaker too so I'm finding it difficult to always have the motivation.
Did you score it your first time around? What are you doing differently this time?

I did score it. And didn't get in the range I wanted. I'm basing my studies this time more off of practice passages then content. And reviewing my exams more thoroughly. Last time I did a decent amount of practice passages but limited myself to only the ones offered by Kaplan. This time I'm gonna go through all the ones aamc offers, TBR and tpr, not only to get a broader range of how questions are asked but also to get more problems done. Also I'm gonna diversify my full lengths. Hopefully aamc comes out with more soon, but till then I'll try kap tpr and NS

^ Same thing happened to me. I was avging 33ish but I felt like I didn't hit my average post-test so I voided.

Quick question. For the new CARS section how many minutes are you now spending per passage since we have more time now. I was thinking 9 minutes for a total of 81 with some extra time, but im not sure if now passages are longer than before. Just wanted to know how people are approaching the new timing techniques. Thanks

I upped by 30 seconds. Now finishing at ~7:30 a passage if it's around 5-6 questions. I add 20-30 sec more each question.

Same thing is happening to me... :( I've been checking everyday for the past 2 weeks almost. hopefully something opens up

Haha. Same. I did have the option to choose Alaska or Idaho at one point. However, I elected to wait. I'd like to get something a lot closer to home. I live in Texas.. so I figure they'd have to add seats here given the population. But, who knows... maybe I'll have to settle for July.

I'd like to sign up for this day... but currently the only available dates are in Canada.

Yes. Ugh. This is stressing me out. I wanted to take it in May, but a huge personal commitment came up on the only day in May that the test is being offered. So I've had to settle for June. Okay, nbd, gives me another month to study...hey look, no open seats. I guess I could fly to Ontario for the week? Because that's the closest open seat to me. I've been neurotically checking seat availability from work like every 20 minutes.

How many hours of studying are you guys getting in per day?

3-hour Kaplan class three days a week. I'm going to add 2 hours on top of that on those days for content review. On my alternating days, I will study a comparable amount of time going through Khan videos, reading journal articles and other periodicals, and taking full-lengths. One full day off per week (no studying, no planning, no thinking about the material).

I'm going to do this for 11 weeks (starting next week), then take 3 or 4 full days off before the exam, because I'm either solid on the material by then, or I'm not, and my brain and body will need the rest ahead of test day.

anybody here actually on schedule with what their goals were before they started studying. I was planning to have content review done with by next month giving me a solid 2 months for test strategy prep

...not happening for me.

I'm finding it hard to find the time to meet even my daily goals. All in all i think i've gone through a quarter of what i need to get to and i've been studying sporadically for 1.5 months.

Last edited:
Hmmm do you have a busy schedule? Are you daily goals obtainable? Or is it more a lack of motivation?

I sometimes have trouble getting my to do list, in terms of studying, finished everyday too. But I just try harder the next day to study more efficiently and get back on track.

anybody here actually on schedule with what their goals were before they started studying. I was planning to have content review done with by next month giving me a solid 2 months for test strategy prep

...not happening for me.

I'm finding it hard to find the time to meet even my daily goals. All in all i think i've gone through a quarter of what i need to get to and i've been studying sporadically for 1.5 months.
Same!!! Exactly my situation.

Yes! Got a seat ~10 minutes away! I'm a little nervous, because it's for the Friday morning test, when I'd rather have the Saturday test. I'm always so exhausted on Fridays, due to my work schedule. I'll probs just take all day Thursday off from work, and go chill in the mountains. And I won't look at seat availabilities anymore, so no buyer's remorse.

3-hour Kaplan class three days a week. I'm going to add 2 hours on top of that on those days for content review. On my alternating days, I will study a comparable amount of time going through Khan videos, reading journal articles and other periodicals, and taking full-lengths. One full day off per week (no studying, no planning, no thinking about the material).

I'm going to do this for 11 weeks (starting next week), then take 3 or 4 full days off before the exam, because I'm either solid on the material by then, or I'm not, and my brain and body will need the rest ahead of test day.
Do you feel like this is adequate? I'll be following a similar plan with a bit more time dedicated to content...

Do you feel like this is adequate? I'll be following a similar plan with a bit more time dedicated to content...

Adequate, yes.

I know myself pretty well, and I have diminishing returns once I cross a certain time threshold when it comes to studying. It's why I'm not going to study 8 hours a day, or 7 days a week. My brain needs rest. I honestly don't know how anyone studies effectively for 8+ hours. My goal is to actively study 5-6 (max) hours, 6 days a week. It's putting in more than 30 hours a week for almost 3 months.

Condensed, high-yield studying will pay off more for me than sitting, staring glossy-eyed over two more hours of material each day. I just don't have the stamina for that. Also, I have a family, and I need time with them to recharge, and to remind me why I'm doing this in the first place; it's just not worth it to me to give up quality time with my wife, young son and new baby to squeeze out a few more points on the MCAT, even if the difference is between 80th and 90th percentile (which is only a matter of 4 points on the new test according to AAMC: 507-511).

Like I said, I think my approach will be adequate. As with all things though, YMMV.

Reactions: 3 users
Checking everyday for an open seat in FL and I'm starting to think the test isn't even going to be administer here. Any FL test taker out there?

Checking everyday for an open seat in FL and I'm starting to think the test isn't even going to be administer here. Any FL test taker out there?

It's going to be administered in FL. I have a seat for June. But I signed up the day registration opened. Keep checking as the date gets closer, some people may decide they need more time to study and change their test date to open up a seat. Good luck.

I also have a seat in South Fl.

Omg I feel like I am so burdened with MCAT, classes, and part-time work!

I'm sure that as long as you keep checking you'll eventually find a seat open where you want, especially once June rolls around and people start freaking out about not being prepared. Hell I'm starting to second guess my registration date.

Exactly 3 months until my test day and instead of studying I'm working the night shift -___-

Reactions: 2 users
I'll make sure to keep checking. Worse comes to worst I'll make my first visit to Saskatchewan or Nova Scotia (heard the food scene there is epic)...

Thank you to all my Floridians for the responses. If you do have second thoughts please pm me and I'll be more than happy to take your seat lol.

Hey guys! June 19th here! How do you study for the MCAT while in school? I feel like i'm wasting time for my current classes and study for those instead but I know I should be putting way more effort into the MCAT because my date is definitely going to sneak up on me.

Needing some serious motivation to write my PS...

Watch the movie Rudy--it does it for me every time I need motivating.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-30767-1380643447-28.gif

Haha never seen it, but Rudy's brother was my high school gym teacher. Fun fact. I'll give it a try.

Haha never seen it, but Rudy's brother was my high school gym teacher. Fun fact. I'll give it a try.

Rudy is the medicine for lethargy. After you watch it, throw the theme song on repeat and write the best damn personal statement ever (pro tip: don't include a story about overcoming all the odds to make the cut for Notre Dame's football team).