The Official June 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abraxas305

Bark Bark
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we can talk about all things MCAT 2015.
Just registered too!

Members don't see this ad.

did any of you guys use TBR passages for review for the June MCAT? Were they on par with the difficulty of the test? Also, are there any practice tests, besides the AAMC one, that you guys would recommend as most like the real deal?

Also, did anyone else reward themselves by binge watching orange is the new black? Possibly the best reward for finishing...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
I'm not quite sure. I've heard different views. My MCAT teacher took it 5 times and got into the school of his choice. Basically everyone else said once is best, if you take it twice, it's perfectly fine. Anymore is iffy.

I should add that when my MCAT teacher took it 5 times, 2 of those times was because his score expired. But either way, he had 5 scores to his name.

I know someone who had 5 MCAT scores and wasn't a URM. They got into 4 schools and had 7 or so interviews in their cycles with borderline stats but amazing ECs/LORs.

How I imagine checking my scores will go

petarded.png

Reactions: 2 users
I'm gonna stay off this thread for a while - making me more nervous than I should probably be...

Also, did anyone else reward themselves by binge watching orange is the new black? Possibly the best reward for finishing...
That's exactly what I did the two days after the MCAT!! Nice to turn my brain off for even a day or two:)
On another note- the MCAT dreams are a nightly occurrence...some I did well but others I wake up in a panic with a sub-500 score. Common July 6th!!!

Almost their! what is everyone going to do right after they get the prelim they wanted?

Going to drive to my dads work and give him a hug. He came to this country with nothing in hopes of a better future for his kids. Crossing my fingers !

Does anyone know what time on July 6th? East coast time ?

Going to drive to my dads work and give him a hug. He came to this country with nothing in hopes of a better future for his kids. Crossing my fingers !

Does anyone know what time on July 6th? East coast time ?
hour minute and seconds please. preferrably even milliseconds. need all the details i can get

Members don't see this ad :)
That's exactly what I did the two days after the MCAT!! Nice to turn my brain off for even a day or two:)
On another note- the MCAT dreams are a nightly occurrence...some I did well but others I wake up in a panic with a sub-500 score. Common July 6th!!!
sub 500 score would just be devastating to no end.

Scores will be released "by 5pm ET" according to AAMC. Check out the AAMC_MCAT twitter feed (you don't need an account to view it) and click the "Tweets & Replies tab". Another feed to read and obsess over as we wait these last 6 days. The more days out from the test the less accurate I think my self-assessment is. Right after the test i thought i did good but not great. Now i'm hoping for great while also trying to prepare myself that i might not get what i am hoping for.

Had a horrible mcat nightmare last night where i was doing the bio section, i couldn't find my ear plugs, i didn't have enough scratch paper, and people kept streaming into the room being loud and talking to me.

I thought the nightmares were supposed to stop after we finished the test!!!

For me, I went right from the MCAT into summer courses and writing my PS. I didn't have time to mull over my performance. I'm kind of thankful for that (other than having a late'ish application)

For me, I went right from the MCAT into summer courses and writing my PS. I didn't have time to mull over my performance. I'm kind of thankful for that (other than having a late'ish application)
Yup. Can't wait to see mcat scores but I think I'm more excited to submit my application, planning on submitting today

Well i'm glad to know that not everyone is as neurotic as me :) Submitting the application is also very exciting. As is getting it verified and seeing your GPA. Good luck! I'm busy trying to tackle these secondary prompts...

To be honest, I don't feel anything - I don't feel the excitement, the nervousness, etc. I'm just taking everything one step at a time... Maybe I'm just in a state of denial since it's all happening so fast...... :unsure:

Well i'm glad to know that not everyone is as neurotic as me :) Submitting the application is also very exciting. As is getting it verified and seeing your GPA. Good luck! I'm busy trying to tackle these secondary prompts...

this may sound silly...but i got verified a while ago but I have no idea where to see my GPA??

this may sound silly...but i got verified a while ago but I have no idea where to see my GPA??
That does sound silly, but only because i'm compulsive and that's the first thing i did once i got verified. I wasn't sure how they would treat my community college classes i took when in high school, so i was anxious to see what my ultimate gpa was. Login and go to print your application. Then scroll to the page after all your classes and scores and you will see a grades table that they have filled in with the final GPAs that schools will see when they review your app.

That does sound silly, but only because i'm compulsive and that's the first thing i did once i got verified. I wasn't sure how they would treat my community college classes i took when in high school, so i was anxious to see what my ultimate gpa was. Login and go to print your application. Then scroll to the page after all your classes and scores and you will see a grades table that they have filled in with the final GPAs that schools will see when they review your app.

Thanks!! :)

couldn't you just request an official transcript from your school?

The AMCAS calculated GPA can be different from your school's calculation. E.g. I have a 3.93 according to my school, but AMCAS calculates it as a 3.95. lucky me.

I did request transcripts from my schools, but i still wasn't sure how my high school CC classes would factor into my overall grade (e.g., would it be considered undergrad or be pulled out from the undergrad score). And, including that college, i've been to three others, one of which was in Canada, so i just wasn't sure how it was all going to shake out. I learned, for instance, that the 85% i got in biochemistry at university of british columbia is equivalent to an A in the US and thus was counted as a 4.0 by AAMC.

Stupidly I looked at the May thread, where obviously all the posted scores are phenomenal. I'm starting to get anxious again.

Two most dominant thoughts:
1) What if my confidence with C/P, CARS, Bio was wrong!?!
2) What if the depressed feeling after Psych was correct?!?

So I'm a May 22nd-er, just got my scores released today, and noticed a possible trend in the prelims to the actual scores. Nobody in the May 22nd forum seems to care since they just received their scores, but at a glance, it seems as if that a large number or scores were simply the preliminary scores lower limit, plus +5% even though the range given is 15%. This only held true for sections NOT given a 85-100% since its the highest you can get. I think I have counted at least 5 scores following this trend but maybe something you guys would have more care in researching. Part of the reason I am posting this is it's tempting to just take the middle of your section preliminary percentiles, which obviously leads to some disappointment when the actuals come out.

I almost want to be excited that prelims are only 5.5 days away, but then I remember the next agonizing ~15 day wait that will immediately follow them :depressed:

Okay so I feel that my CARS,Psych and B.Chem/Bio sections will be in the range I am expecting (127 (CARS)-132(Bio)). What is making me nervous is I stalled on a couple of questions on the Physics/Chem section and ran out of time....I ended up not answering 4 questions and rifling through the last 5 I did answer!! This leaves me with potentially 10 wrong out of 59 and possibly 15. I have been trying to number crunch and see how many answers I could have messed and still maintained at least a 125/126. I have come up with a range around 17-20. Has anyone out there done some wacky math that may comfort me?? I wish I wasn't so neurotic...but I think that may be a common personality trait among us pre-meds:)
Thanks Guys!!

Anyone studying for a retake?

Not yet. I'm Canadian and we don't have rolling applications so I can take all the way until early September. If I get poor prelim scores I'll start studying again. I really hope not :( I was looking forward to having a bit more free time for the next couple months!

Not yet. I'm Canadian and we don't have rolling applications so I can take all the way until early September. If I get poor prelim scores I'll start studying again. I really hope not :( I was looking forward to having a bit more free time for the next couple months!
Canadian too... want to get the retake out of the way if I need to...then I can focus on secondaries and wrapping up OMSAS application.

I don't even know what I'll do if I get sh**ty prelims.. I'll really be screwed pretty much. It would basically mean my best wasn't good enough. Things couldn't have gone much better on test day

I did request transcripts from my schools, but i still wasn't sure how my high school CC classes would factor into my overall grade (e.g., would it be considered undergrad or be pulled out from the undergrad score). And, including that college, i've been to three others, one of which was in Canada, so i just wasn't sure how it was all going to shake out. I learned, for instance, that the 85% i got in biochemistry at university of british columbia is equivalent to an A in the US and thus was counted as a 4.0 by AAMC.
is this when AAMC recieves your transcripts or is this after you have submitted?

Canadian too... want to get the retake out of the way if I need to...then I can focus on secondaries and wrapping up OMSAS application.

Ya, I'm not applying to the US this time around so I'm not too worried about getting my applications finished up. I'll apply to my in-province schools and a few out of province if I have a really good MCAT. If I don't get in this year, I'll apply more broadly next year. I'd prefer to stay in Canada (since it is so much cheaper), and would prefer not to spend a fortune on applications if I don't need to. I'm not made of money :p

im just hoping for like a 510... which might be too high . who knows? i only studied for about 4-6 hours a day for 4-5 weeks... probably didnt study as much as everyone else here and i still felt i knew a decent chunk enough to go and take the test

im just hoping for like a 510... which might be too high . who knows? i only studied for about 4-6 hours a day for 4-5 weeks... probably didnt study as much as everyone else here and i still felt i knew a decent chunk enough to go and take the test
What did you get on your aamc practice test?

What did you get on your aamc practice test?

C/P: 44/59 : 75%
CARS: 44/53: 83%
bio: 41/59: 69%
P/S: 45/59: 76%.

this was 6/4/2015, my test was on the 20th. so i started studying about may10th and took 1-3 days off the entire time of studying just to do fu.k all with and visit my gf and stuff like that. you know take mind off mcat. so i finished majority of my content review about 2 weeks in except for some psych and aminoacid in biochem. this was week3.

sorry for rambling.. big problem with me

C/P: 44/59 : 75%
CARS: 44/53: 83%
bio: 41/59: 69%
P/S: 45/59: 76%.

this was 6/4/2015, my test was on the 20th. so i started studying about may10th and took 1-3 days off the entire time of studying just to do fu.k all with and visit my gf and stuff like that. you know take mind off mcat. so i finished majority of my content review about 2 weeks in except for some psych and aminoacid in biochem. this was week3.

sorry for rambling.. big problem with me
Switch the CARS and P/S and I have the exact same scores....I'm hoping to get a 510 as well but that might be too high :/ I don't know.