The Official June 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abraxas305

Bark Bark
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we can talk about all things MCAT 2015.
Just registered too!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you using Khan academy? I haven't done any of their passages yet, but they do have some for psych/soci. As for CARS, I don't really know of anywhere to get new material, so I've been using old stuff (old AAMC tests, EK101, Kaplan tests). I'm not doing them every day yet as I'm trying to finish up content review while teaching and trying to finish up my grad degree, but once I finish up content review, I'll be doing them more regularly.

Gotcha, I've used KA for its bio videos in the past; it's actually very detailed for some organ systems so those were great. I'll have to check out their passages, thanks!

Perspectives on content review: best to cover some of each subject per day or focus on one each day? Personally, 1 chapter takes 3+ hours for me to finish; maybe I need to cut down on the distractions and work more diligently though.

Gotcha, I've used KA for its bio videos in the past; it's actually very detailed for some organ systems so those were great. I'll have to check out their passages, thanks!

Perspectives on content review: best to cover some of each subject per day or focus on one each day? Personally, 1 chapter takes 3+ hours for me to finish; maybe I need to cut down on the distractions and work more diligently though.

Most days I just focus on a single subject. It takes me a long time to finish each chapter too (even though I'm using EK so most of the Chapters aren't all that long). I'm taking notes/making FCs as I go along so that I can refer back to them once I've finished content review, without having to reread full chapters. On weekends when I'm usually trying to get in 6-8hrs, I usually cover more than one subject so that I don't get too bored/tired of the material. Not sure what everyone else is doing, but I think it's working pretty well for me, at least so far. I'm not sure what I'll do when I switch over to focusing a lot more on practice questions and less on content review.

Anyone using EK audio osmosis in addition to the text? Curious to hear what you guys think about it.
I used it heavily my first time around in addition to all the EK books for content review. I am almost 10yrs removed from most prereqs but I did feel that AO helped. I went section by section with it and created my own notebook binder. For what its worth, I increased from a 13 to a 22 on practice exams by solely using EK 7th edition and AO. I didn't have enough time for extensive passage practice so I did not score my old MCAT and am now preparing for the new one. My advice with AO is to use it for Biology the most and then supplement it with a passage/content book for Physics/Chem. I did not find the Ochem portion of AO to be very helpful, but would highly recommend it for Biology and for visualization/formula memorization purposes in the physical sciences. PM me if you have any specific questions about it. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I used it heavily my first time around in addition to all the EK books for content review. I am almost 10yrs removed from most prereqs but I did feel that AO helped. I went section by section with it and created my own notebook binder. For what its worth, I increased from a 13 to a 22 on practice exams by solely using EK 7th edition and AO. I didn't have enough time for extensive passage practice so I did not score my old MCAT and am now preparing for the new one. My advice with AO is to use it for Biology the most and then supplement it with a passage/content book for Physics/Chem. I did not find the Ochem portion of AO to be very helpful, but would highly recommend it for Biology and for visualization/formula memorization purposes in the physical sciences. PM me if you have any specific questions about it. Good luck!

Yeah, I'm not really relying too heavily on it so far. I do ~5-7 hours of commuting a week, so its definitely nice to get in some bonus study time however passive it may be. I also like that the bio lectures seem pretty in line with the text books, so very cool in that regard. I wish they would release an updated version!

anyone else having trouble trying to register for this date? it says there are open seats but then when I click on it it will say "no seats available".

anyone else having trouble trying to register for this date? it says there are open seats but then when I click on it it will say "no seats available".

Same. I think that happens if there was a seat open earlier in the day but someone else took it and the server hasn't refreshed yet. Don't worry though because seats usually open up as we move closer to the date.

Same. I think that happens if there was a seat open earlier in the day but someone else took it and the server hasn't refreshed yet. Don't worry though because seats usually open up as we move closer to the date.

Yes it does. But be diligent in checking for openings.

I just pushed my exam back from May -> June, and from what I can tell the list refreshes every night (12 EST) and they list some locations repeatedly without spots actually being available. Several sites were listed at midnight but even clicking on them immediately there was "no seat available". This happened 3 days in a row. I ended up selecting a less optimal location now so I could stop stressing; I'll just have to drive a bit.

Good luck!

Yeah! I keep checking periodically throughout the day (usually just whenever I open a computer) just in case I could snag a spot. I also check at midnight. I'm sure a spot will open up though before the date !

Anybody considering moving their test date yet? I sure am. I don't know what the hell i was thinking, studying with a full time job is nearly impossible if you want an excellent score. I haven't touched a prep book in 2 weeks ever since work picked up. The only "free time" i have is around May-July so it seems like August should be my best chance. I don't know for sure what I'll do but everything is up in the air for now.

Reactions: 1 user
Anybody considering moving their test date yet? I sure am. I don't know what the hell i was thinking, studying with a full time job is nearly impossible if you want an excellent score. I haven't touched a prep book in 2 weeks ever since work picked up. The only "free time" i have is around May-July so it seems like August should be my best chance. I don't know for sure what I'll do but everything is up in the air for now.
I go to school fulltime and work 24 hours over the weekend. I'm strained for time but some how have managed to make it work.. albeit my grades have suffered somewhat.

I've found that setting up a schedule and sticking to it works best. For me personally, I dedicate every morning from 7-9am to MCAT studying. Then if I find I have free time later on in the day, I study then too

Yeah its a tough call. You're basically weighing a (theoretically) higher MCAT score against applying a month later. SDNers seem to be pretty set in the idea that earlier is better, but it's still hard to assess the risk vs reward in a situation like this.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many FLs has everyone done? I am about 50% done with content review (gosh its hard during full load of school!!!) and I have taken two TPR FL's 499, and 501 respectively. I feel like I learn so much more from actually doing the practice tests than just making my ANKI, and doing practice passages. Also, I feel like when I'm taking the exams, I rarely miss straight up memorization questions (like because of lack of content review) but I feel like the majority of questions, especially the challenging ones, are just passage interpretations. Anyone else feel this way? I want to knock out ~10 FLs before the actual test date.

I kinda wanted to hold off FL's until I was around 90% done with content. I am doing ~10 passages a day of relevant material and ~3-4 passages for VR.

Has anyone gone over Chapter 4 of EK Physics?
It seemed really lacking in Magnetism.. and in general. Not sure how I feel about it.

Has anyone gone over Chapter 4 of EK Physics?
It seemed really lacking in Magnetism.. and in general. Not sure how I feel about it.

Ya I have, and I totally agree with you. What was it, like 2 pages on magnetism? And the test at the end even had questions about power that weren't addressed at all within the text (although the page with equations at the end did have some). I will likely supplement it with some additional practice if I find that I'm having trouble with questions relating to the topics.

Yea I'm gonna wait till about 6 weeks before to really focus solely on fl. I'm just doing content and relevant passages from TBR and TPR SWB. And trying to do daily verbal passages. Also I haven't done any full lengths yet. But will do a diagnostic this weekend.

Man, TBR Bio Cardio/Lungs passages were hard as hell! Did 7 passages in ~45 minutes and still ended up with a ~74%. A bunch of stupid memorization crap and weirdly phrased questions kinda pushed my score low.

Do you find physics tbr passages helpful? I think the bio and the Chem ones are great practice but I'm worried that the physics will be too much for the new mcat. Thoughts?

Hey! I'm taking the test on June 20th and just finished my first TPR practice test and scored 497.. What does that mean?! I know it's below average but average used to be ~29 so i don't know how to compare! I'm aiming for a 30. What do you all think that would be? I doubt that messing with percentages would be very accurate.

Hey! I'm taking the test on June 20th and just finished my first TPR practice test and scored 497.. What does that mean?! I know it's below average but average used to be ~29 so i don't know how to compare! I'm aiming for a 30. What do you all think that would be? I doubt that messing with percentages would be very accurate.

The average used to be ~24

The score means nothing. That is kind of hard to digest but it is the most accurate answer. No one knows what a 497, 500, or 520 is going to correlate to until the first round of tests and then some

I will say, from what I've seen other posters mention, a range of 495-508 (508 being the highest practice score I've seen someone get) seems to be most common.

Now what you need to do is wait a week, take NS half length diagnostic, or a few other tests. If you are improving thats good, if not then you need to re evaluate. I personally took the official test and plan on retaking right before. If I don't see a drastic increase in scores I will not be taking grading the MCAT and will just take it for practice at a later date.

The average used to be ~24

The score means nothing. That is kind of hard to digest but it is the most accurate answer. No one knows what a 497, 500, or 520 is going to correlate to until the first round of tests and then some

I will say, from what I've seen other posters mention, a range of 495-508 (508 being the highest practice score I've seen someone get) seems to be most common.

Now what you need to do is wait a week, take NS half length diagnostic, or a few other tests. If you are improving thats good, if not then you need to re evaluate. I personally took the official test and plan on retaking right before. If I don't see a drastic increase in scores I will not be taking grading the MCAT and will just take it for practice at a later date.
Ok, I'll keep practicing and thanks for the input!

I will say, however, that according to AAMC, the mcat average for applicants in 2014 was 28.6.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321494/data/factstable17.pdf

Do you find physics tbr passages helpful? I think the bio and the Chem ones are great practice but I'm worried that the physics will be too much for the new mcat. Thoughts?
I'm only doing the 7 passage set for physics and omitting some of the topics that were removed from the AAMC list.
I find it very helpful actually, but I haven't taken a FL yet so I don't know the true extent.
I think TBR Chem and even their Orgo (written by same author) are a godsend.

I'm only doing the 7 passage set for physics and omitting some of the topics that were removed from the AAMC list.
I find it very helpful actually, but I haven't taken a FL yet so I don't know the true extent.
I think TBR Chem and even their Orgo (written by same author) are a godsend.

Nice yea I've been doing bio and I feel those are really good practice. But I wasn't sure about physics. But I'll try them out! I think these passages and the tpr Swb are awesome. And yea I still gotta do a FL but maybe I'll get through a the NS half diagnostic this weekend or something.

Ok, I'll keep practicing and thanks for the input!

I will say, however, that according to AAMC, the mcat average for applicants in 2014 was 28.6.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321494/data/factstable17.pdf

That is the average of applicants.

The mean for those who take the test is 24
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/267622/data/mcatstudentselectionguide.pdf

Note that the average for each section is ~8

Sorry I don't mean to be snarky with the data, it's just important to have a good idea where you stand. Good luck studying!

Oh! Thanks for clearing up my confusion!
I guess I have a lot to work on then. :|
Take the TPR exam with a grain of salt... most people are scoring poorly, and it probably isn't reflective of your real score.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it worth memorizing 10 steps of glycolysis?

I was told by my tpr teachers that anything biochem related to study up extensively and that you cannot over study physiology. But I got glycolysis I think the major parts are the rate limiting steps, the major enzymes and inhibitors/simulators of each major step.

I kinda wanted to hold off FL's until I was around 90% done with content. I am doing ~10 passages a day of relevant material and ~3-4 passages for VR.

you read 1 chapter a day from TBR and do 14 passages per day? How long does that take? and you work and go to school? impressive

That is the average of applicants.

The mean for those who take the test is 24
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/267622/data/mcatstudentselectionguide.pdf

Note that the average for each section is ~8

Sorry I don't mean to be snarky with the data, it's just important to have a good idea where you stand. Good luck studying!

dang so the average applicant is 28.6 (close to like 70 percentile?) and only 50% get in a med school? :x

Last edited:
I was told by my tpr teachers that anything biochem related to study up extensively and that you cannot over study physiology. But I got glycolysis I think the major parts are the rate limiting steps, the major enzymes and inhibitors/simulators of each major step.

Yeah, I get the feeling you cannot overstudy physiology I agree. I have a friend whose roommate studied for the MCAT and used a physiology textbook (a little too excessive IMO, apparently his roommate studied mostly off his college textbooks than actualy review books). He ended up with a 13+ BS score and a 40+ (42 or 43, I forget) overall. I wouldn't recommend that overkill though.

you read 1 chapter a day from TBR and do 14 passages per day? How long does that take? and you work and go to school? impressive
Taking 2 classes and working part-time though.
Takes me quite a while cause I tried to dissect the passages as much as possible, especially when I do the AAMC pack questions.
I don't get a lot of sleep lol like 6-7 hours a day.

Question..when you guys work passages do you immediately check your answer and then go through why they other options were wrong and then proceed to the next passage? Or do you work several passages in a row and then go back and check your answers at the end to see how you did and review what you missed? I have heard pros and cons for both methods and wanted some feedback on which method is better.

Question..when you guys work passages do you immediately check your answer and then go through why they other options were wrong and then proceed to the next passage? Or do you work several passages in a row and then go back and check your answers at the end to see how you did and review what you missed? I have heard pros and cons for both methods and wanted some feedback on which method is better.

I was wondering that too. I've also heard to wait up to 24 hrs before you review the passages. What I think I like most is just doing like 10 passages, and making sure to check them all before the end of the day. For verbal though, I like to check within 30 mins-1 hr or else I start to forget what the passage was even about

I'm not a fan of doing 1 passage at a time and then reviewing... feels like it takes up more time

I definitely like doing many passages in a row and then checking them after. I'll have a timer out and I'll hit the lap button whenver I finish reading and the questions of the passage, so I have a good idea of how long its taking me. Doing one section at a time makes me feel like I'm not testing under MCAT conditions.

I do ~5-7 passages in a row, do a brief check of them to get my percentage, see what errors I made, etc. then either review them several hours later or the next morning. Always timed and assuming a 7 question passage, I try to aim for ~7 minutes a passage +/- 1min a question.
Verbal I usually drill 3-4 passages in one sitting (haven't done a 7 or 9 passage sitting yet) then review them immediately after.

I do 1 timed passage at a time, and then review all the questions (even if I got it right). This definitely is time consuming, but I can tell you it works. I remember things sooo much more efficiently because I am actively engaged/interested to learn the correct answer since I just read the passage and attempted the questions. Everyone is different though, it also depends how much time you have as to what is going to be most efficient.

I do ~5-7 passages in a row, do a brief check of them to get my percentage, see what errors I made, etc. then either review them several hours later or the next morning. Always timed and assuming a 7 question passage, I try to aim for ~7 minutes a passage +/- 1min a question.
Verbal I usually drill 3-4 passages in one sitting (haven't done a 7 or 9 passage sitting yet) then review them immediately after.

These passages that you are talking about, are they from TBR verbal? Thanks! :)

Barely over 2 months to go and maybe 50% done with content. Really stressing out. I really don't want to push back my test date!

Barely over 2 months to go and maybe 50% done with content. Really stressing out. I really don't want to push back my test date!

Take this from someone who put 30+ hrs per wk for 8 wks into content and is now retaking....focus more on practice passages because it is the only way to actively learn the material so it sticks. You need to work on answering passage-based questions to develop the critical thinking skills necessary to answer questions for the actual MCAT. This has been said time and time again and I really do think its true based on the fact of how much more I have retained this second time around studying just by doing passages than what I retained previously from reading chapters and reviewing content during my first attempt.

Take this from someone who put 30+ hrs per wk for 8 wks into content and is now retaking....focus more on practice passages because it is the only way to actively learn the material so it sticks. You need to work on answering passage-based questions to develop the critical thinking skills necessary to answer questions for the actual MCAT. This has been said time and time again and I really do think its true based on the fact of how much more I have retained this second time around studying just by doing passages than what I retained previously from reading chapters and reviewing content during my first attempt.
I think that's what I'm going to start doing. I'll finish reading the chapters but instead of taking notes I'll do practice passages instead. Have you been using AAMC material? I want to start doing the question packs.

It's best to do 3+ passages IMO before checking. If you felt like you got rocked by the first passage you should power on through to your pre-set number of passages you want to do. For example, I did 4 passages last night. First two were rough and then I did very well on the last two. If you check your answers after one rough passage, you don't deal with that "stress" you may have when you run into a tough passage on the real thing. Then after 3-4 passages, go for a little break after grading it. Then come back after 10 minutes or so and review your answers (but first read the question and try to answer it again, if you got it wrong again- review the explanation). For 4 passages, this all took me about a little over 1 hour to take it/break/review it.

Rudy is the medicine for lethargy. After you watch it, throw the theme song on repeat and write the best damn statement ever (pro tip: don't include a story about overcoming all the odds to make the cut for Notre Dame's football team).

Did all of you guys finish your content review? I'm halfway through the EK books. Still have bio and Psych left.

VR y u so inconsistent? :( 3 psgs in 23 minutes and went like this: 3/8, 7/7, 6/6
Oh well, on to electric circuits. Finished most of psych in the past two days while reviewing the other chapters I finished a while ago.

Did all of you guys finish your content review? I'm halfway through the EK books. Still have bio and Psych left.

I'm getting pretty close. 2 Chapters of bio left (1-4 and 2-6), the last physics chapter, and 1 psych. I'm hoping to finish up by the end of next weekend, so that I can switch over to mostly passages/practice exams. How are you finding EK and the EK chapter tests?

I check/mark answers wrong after my first passage every time I do passages. If I see I've gotten multiple wrong in a passage I refocus. Move somewhere, grab a drink, etc. After that I finish all of my other passages then simply mark them correct/incorrect. I don't go over the why of getting questions incorrect until the next day.

I saw it being discussed, but just curious, how often does seats open up for this date? I want to apply this cycle so I want to take it in June and have been studying (have a May date, but with other commitments such as class and ECs it's tough to see me finishing by then). Was thinking of July, but that would be too late right?

Thanks

Also on an unrelated note, how did you guys review biochem content and psych content and what practice questions did you use for them?

Last edited: