The Official June 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abraxas305

Bark Bark
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we can talk about all things MCAT 2015.
Just registered too!

Members don't see this ad.

How is everyone doing on secondaries?

How many have you completed? How long do you take to fill out one?

I've been writing secondary essays for about two schools a day, then editing the next day and submitting.

I feel weird about recycling info/themes/essays but whatever gets the job done!

I've submitted 8 since the mcat release and 7 are complete.

How is everyone doing on secondaries?

How many have you completed? How long do you take to fill out one?

I've been writing secondary essays for about two schools a day, then editing the next day and submitting.

I feel weird about recycling info/themes/essays but whatever gets the job done!

I've submitted 8 since the mcat release and 7 are complete.

I have done 7. I only get like one done a day because of working in lab/summer classes. But I usually write one and then edit the next day like you.

Members don't see this ad :)
@piii did you update anything in AMCAS so that schools could see your score? It says "loaded" and "You do not plan to take an additional MCAT exam." under the standardized test tab

No need to update amcas I believe. If it shows up on your app, then the schools can see it. AAMC also forwards an update to them that its in, in case they are waiting.
Mine says loaded too, and it lists 6/19 as a recent exam.
@piii did you update anything in AMCAS so that schools could see your score? It says "loaded" and "You do not plan to take an additional MCAT exam." under the standardized test tab

It looks like my aacomas app has updated. But of the 8 amcas secondaries none seem to have updated with my MCAT. I guess I just need to be patient.

Hey everyone, long timer lurker, first time poster here. I have learned a lot from your posts here and am appreciative of that. I took the old MCAT in August and scored a 28 (8/10/10). I took the new MCAT on June 19th and scored a 515 (129/126/130/130).

Although I am very excited about my much improved score, I am concerned about my CARS subscore, equivalent to a 9 on the old version. I have heard many schools, especially the top ones, prefer at least a 10 in each section on the old exam. What do you all think the criteria or preference would be for the new exam? Would it be the same (127 in each section)? I've also heard that on the old exam, performance on verbal correlated the most with performance on USMLE and was thus heavily weighed. I am obviously not going to retake because of this, but should I bother applying to some top tier schools if I have a low CARS subscore?

Hey everyone, long timer lurker, first time poster here. I have learned a lot from your posts here and am appreciative of that. I took the old MCAT in August and scored a 28 (8/10/10). I took the new MCAT on June 19th and scored a 515 (129/126/130/130).

Although I am very excited about my much improved score, I am concerned about my CARS subscore, equivalent to a 9 on the old version. I have heard many schools, especially the top ones, prefer at least a 10 in each section on the old exam. What do you all think the criteria or preference would be for the new exam? Would it be the same (127 in each section)? I've also heard that on the old exam, performance on verbal correlated the most with performance on USMLE and was thus heavily weighed. I am obviously not going to retake because of this, but should I bother applying to some top tier schools if I have a low CARS subscore?

You will be fine. The top schools are a crapshoot anyway if you get rejected it wont be just because of one low (and thats really not even THAT low) subsection. Potential correlation between USLME and one subsection is not an admissions criteria. The MCAT is a good estimate to see if you will pass USLME, and with a score like that schools won't worry.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, July test taker here. I was wondering if anyone felt like they really bombed one section but ended up doing very well. I feel like I did horrible in P/C section but it was really the physics based questions more than the chemistry. Any feed back would be appreciated.

Why do I feel like I have to respond to these all the time.. Why even ask this? Everything is subjective. No matter what anyone says, you won't feel better nor have an accurate idea of how you did. I thought I aced verbal 3 years ago and got a 26... I thought I did "okay" on chem this year and got a 99th%. Go outside and exercise and stop ruminating.

Hello, July test taker here. I was wondering if anyone felt like they really bombed one section but ended up doing very well. I feel like I did horrible in P/C section but it was really the physics based questions more than the chemistry. Any feed back would be appreciated.

Reactions: 2 users
Why do I feel like I have to respond to these all the time.. Why even ask this? Everything is subjective. No matter what anyone says, you won't feel better nor have an accurate idea of how you did. I thought I aced verbal 3 years ago and got a 26... I thought I did "okay" on chem this year and got a 99th%. Go outside and exercise and stop ruminating.

No one asked YOU to reply. I was simply asking if anyone had similar feelings to me and ended up doing fine. Jerk!

No one asked YOU to reply. I was simply asking if anyone had similar feelings to me and ended up doing fine. Jerk!
What piii is saying is that of course there will be people who felt like they bombed it and ended up doing well. It's just as likely as someone feeling great about a section and coming in sub-125. But more power to ya if you find comfort in asking a forum consisting of the most neurotic MCAT testers if they had any doubts after taking an exam that plays a major role in how their lives unfold.

Members don't see this ad :)

Lol he is simply irritated because the question was asked at least 500 times before you. His point is still valid, everything is subjective. There is no point worrying about it. People have felt like they bombed it and have gotten 99%tile. Some people think they killed it and get 50%tile. Its different for everyone.

the sass in this thread kills me at times. i know i dont respond to this thread often but thanks to all of you that do for the support while waiting for scores.. really helpful and i wish you all the best in applying this cycle

Agreed with the above response to this. If someone spends more than an hour on here and actually tries to find an answer, it's likely that someone (or many someone's) has asked before. Even worse with the "can you translate my score?!?" posts. Presumably people spend time in life doing their own research, but occasionally it comes across as if they've expended zero effort, and would rather have someone else do it. Yes it would be faster (for you) if someone gives you a consensus view, but the value isn't necessarily isolated to the words. Coming to terms with uncertainty is important.

Agreed with the above response to this. If someone spends more than an hour on here and actually tries to find an answer, it's likely that someone (or many someone's) has asked before. Even worse with the "can you translate my score?!?" posts. Presumably people spend time in life doing their own research, but occasionally it comes across as if they've expended zero effort, and would rather have someone else do it. Yes it would be faster (for you) if someone gives you a consensus view, but the value isn't necessarily isolated to the words. Coming to terms with uncertainty is important.

Totally agree with this. I'm sorry if I came off like a jerk but I mean, my comment was pretty harmless. Most people here have combed through this entire thread, reading responses diligently. If this user put a minuscule amount of effort in reading, then he wouldn't need to cloud this forum with a frankly useless post.

It was also late and I was irritated by a writer's block lol. God damn secondaries.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys,
Can somebody please confirm that a 38-48 percentile equals 497?
Thanks

497 is 40th percentile. Are you referring to prelim ranges? If you were a June or earlier tester, your score is already available. If you took it after June, then you won't get prelim ranges...

hey quick question, did you guys submit secondaries before you got your MCAT score back? I retook it in July, but I am afraid they will review my application with the old score, even though I indicated on the app that I will be taking it in July. Should I wait to submit in August when I get my score back or now?

hey quick question, did you guys submit secondaries before you got your MCAT score back? I retook it in July, but I am afraid they will review my application with the old score, even though I indicated on the app that I will be taking it in July. Should I wait to submit in August when I get my score back or now?

I think you should submit now. If they don't like your old score, they'll see that you are taking it..set your app to the side, and wait on the next score. Conversely, if your score is good enough for an interview, you'll be in the process of getting accepted..if they see your new score and it's significantly better than your old, it'll only help your chances of acceptance.

MCATs competitive..GPAs low. But if you have the $$$..why not? Otherwise, GPA might be a deterrent..considering their avg is reportedly a 3.9.

Should I even bother completing a JHU secondary with 3.7 and a balanced 516?

Let them tell you no. It may seem unlikely, but as long as it's not a financial concern, go for it. You won't even have a chance if you don't try! You're still in striking range.

Secondaries definenty suck but I'm finding them not as bad as I though they were going to be. I only say this because of the drastic overlap in prompts...one response for me has been working for a lot of prompts with some minor tweaking

Hey guys! I was wondering if I could get some feedback from all you experienced MCATers! So I just took the EK FL 4 and got the following scores: 61% P/C, 64% CARS, 60% B/B AND 66% P/S. Overall 63%. I'm taking the test on August 6th. I've heard from everyone that the EK FLS are harder than the actual mcat. What do you guys make of these scores? I'm taking the practice mcat in 3 days. Oh and I'm aiming for a 507-508 region.

No need to update amcas I believe. If it shows up on your app, then the schools can see it. AAMC also forwards an update to them that its in, in case they are waiting.
Mine says loaded too, and it lists 6/19 as a recent exam.
So as long as I listed 6/20 as my test date the score will automatically show up?

Hey guys! I was wondering if I could get some feedback from all you experienced MCATers! So I just took the EK FL 4 and got the following scores: 61% P/C, 64% CARS, 60% B/B AND 66% P/S. Overall 63%. I'm taking the test on August 6th. I've heard from everyone that the EK FLS are harder than the actual mcat. What do you guys make of these scores? I'm taking the practice mcat in 3 days. Oh and I'm aiming for a 507-508 region.

Wait to see what you get on the AAMC practice and go from there. I never took EK exams but Kaplan, as you probably know from reading the past exam threads, are harder. Post your AAMC scores once you finish and then I can give you some tips of what to do from that point.

Same here, I'm in second year undergrad, and all my friends are taking August exam Nobody understood how I felt except for you gais <3 <3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Question from someone taking the exam in a few weeks, how well did your AAMC Official Guide Questions and/or AAMC FL match up with your actual score/percentiles? I know we are all using slightly different tables/percentiles to convert our correct percentages to projected scores, but it would be super helpful to hear feedback on this from people who already took the AAMC practice exam(s) and have an actual score!

Question from someone taking the exam in a few weeks, how well did your AAMC Official Guide Questions and/or AAMC FL match up with your actual score/percentiles? I know we are all using slightly different tables/percentiles to convert our correct percentages to projected scores, but it would be super helpful to hear feedback on this from people who already took the AAMC practice exam(s) and have an actual score!
Take a look at the score compilation thread! There's a linear correlation there, with an R value of around .6, so AAMC FLs are only somewhat predictive of scores.

A little discouraged... but I'll probably go ahead and throw my hat into the ring for in-state schools and OOS-friendly MDs.

3.96 cGPA
3.92 sGPA

507 - 127 C/P; 127 CARS; 127 B/BCh; 126 P/S
Don't be too discouraged. That's a great GPA and a good enough MCAT to be in the running. While that MCAT probably won't help you, it likely won't hurt you much if you apply broadly. The whole process is full of randomness, but something will work out :)

I felt like I guessed between 2 on more than half of P/S and have zero recollection of B/B, but I ended up with 131's in both.. Felt more confident in C/P and CARS but ended up with 127's in both. Do your best to withhold judgement until final scores!

God, who else keeps randomly coming back to the SDN MCAT board. It's like that part of my life just wont. let. go... Stop controlling my life, AAMC!

Reactions: 6 users
Hey guys. August test taker here! Does anyone know how to convert our raw percentage to a rough score? I know mcatjelly made a sheet, but i can't find it. Or can someone tell me roughly what I got, below are my percentages:

P/C: 71%
CARS: 58%
B/B: 58%
P/S:76%
Overall: 66%

I am aiming for anywhere between 503-508ish. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Anyone who got their scores back take TPR practice exams? Test date is August 21. I've been taking TPR Practices exams and went from a 500 to a 502. Aiming for a 510+ and was looking for some sort of conversion. Thanks!

Anyone who got their scores back take TPR practice exams? Test date is August 21. I've been taking TPR Practices exams and went from a 500 to a 502. Aiming for a 510+ and was looking for some sort of conversion. Thanks!
I took 3 TPR FL's, scored a 502 on each and ended up with a 517 (96 percentile)

I've seen others score similar to me with worse grades, some with better.

When's the earliest we'd receive an II (or a rejection) since our scores came out last week?

It is still so early there is no way to truly tell. Some schools have started sending out interviews. Other schools are still sending out secondaries and screening. I've been complete at 8 schools for a week and haven't heard anything from them while some people have already been rejected or given II's who were complete after me. My understanding is that your app could be recycled in the maybe pile for the next seven months, so you may not hear back for a long time.

In fact, you will LIKELY not hear back for a long time. As long as you don't get a rush of rejections in the first weeks of complete, then you probably know there aren't any red flags.

I did early decision and I got an interview invite last week. Things CAN move quickly, but if they dont, thats normal. Some schools barely look at regular decision applicants until august/september.