The Official June 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abraxas305

Bark Bark
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we can talk about all things MCAT 2015.
Just registered too!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm getting pretty close. 2 Chapters of bio left (1-4 and 2-6), the last physics chapter, and 1 psych. I'm hoping to finish up by the end of next weekend, so that I can switch over to mostly passages/practice exams. How are you finding EK and the EK chapter tests?
I actually really like the chapter tests. How long did it take you to get through all the content? How many hours a day did you put in and how did you break up all the studying? Did you take any FL exams yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that's what I'm going to start doing. I'll finish reading the chapters but instead of taking notes I'll do practice passages instead. Have you been using AAMC material? I want to start doing the question packs.
For AAMC material, I am using the old AAMC SAs, the old AAMC practice tests, the 120 questions from the 2015 guide, and the one 2015 sample test.

I saw it being discussed, but just curious, how often does seats open up for this date? I want to apply this cycle so I want to take it in June and have been studying (have a May date, but with other commitments such as class and ECs it's tough to see me finishing by then). Was thinking of July, but that would be too late right?

Thanks

Also on an unrelated note, how did you guys review biochem content and psych content and what practice questions did you use for them?

I just grabbed a seat last night! Its unfortunate that its really really far away from where I live, but oh well. tips to grabbing a seat would be to check at midnight when AAMC refreshes their database. Also check periodically throughout the day. Took me about 2 weeks of vigilantly checking to get one.

I just grabbed a seat last night! Its unfortunate that its really really far away from where I live, but oh well. tips to grabbing a seat would be to check at midnight when AAMC refreshes their database. Also check periodically throughout the day. Took me about 2 weeks of vigilantly checking to get one.

Thanks. I'm hoping when the July dates open people switch over to that. Do you guys think the July exam is too late for this cycle with submitting your app in June.

I saw it being discussed, but just curious, how often does seats open up for this date? I want to apply this cycle so I want to take it in June and have been studying (have a May date, but with other commitments such as class and ECs it's tough to see me finishing by then). Was thinking of July, but that would be too late right?

Thanks

Also on an unrelated note, how did you guys review biochem content and psych content and what practice questions did you use for them?

For DO, I consider July still not too late. For MD, yes I think it would be. Personally, I'm applying to mostly DO and taking the July test.

For DO, I consider July still not too late. For MD, yes I think it would be. Personally, I'm applying to mostly DO and taking the July test.

I'm not really considering DO (at least for now) and I know for sure the July test is fine. My friend applied to one DO school in October and got an interview and was fine :laugh:.

I'm disappointed the July exam is too late for MD. I was thinking of applying the first day of June getting it verified and taking the July exam (June is filled) and having everything cleared by the time the MCAT score rolls along. This would mean I would be done in mid August. Even without an MCAT score we get secondaries correct?

Any other people willing to chime in? Appreciate the help dreams.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not really considering DO (at least for now) and I know for sure the July test is fine. My friend applied to one DO school in October and got an interview and was fine :laugh:.

I'm disappointed the July exam is too late for MD. I was thinking of applying the first day of June getting it verified and taking the July exam (June is filled) and having everything cleared by the time the MCAT score rolls along. This would mean I would be done in mid August. Even without an MCAT score we get secondaries correct?

Any other people willing to chime in? Appreciate the help dreams.

Well to each his own. Yeah, that is my problem with applying to the small MD school list I had. I've heard the same. I know of someone who applied in December and got in before February for a DO school. He had about "average" stats for a DO applicant too.

Quick question (sorry if it's been answered) - for those of you taking in June, how are you planning to go about submitting your application?

I'm planning to switch my date to June if possible (from May), and I have a previous MCAT score, just not sure how to go about doing that.

I'm going to apply to one school that I'm indifferent towards on June 1st to have my app verified. Then apply to the rest once my scores are released so I don't have to wait for verification.

I'm going to apply to one school that I'm indifferent towards on June 1st to have my app verified. Then apply to the rest once my scores are released so I don't have to wait for verification.
This is what I'm planning on as well, but this is just in case we get terrible scores so that our MCAT won't be sent automatically to those schools correct? Otherwise we could risk sending a bad score and possibly being a reapplicant? This kind of confuses me.

Granted, I'm sure we'll all get great scores and not have to worry though ;)

This is what I'm planning on as well, but this is just in case we get terrible scores so that our MCAT won't be sent automatically to those schools correct? Otherwise we could risk sending a bad score and possibly being a reapplicant? This kind of confuses me.

Granted, I'm sure we'll all get great scores and not have to worry though ;)

Yes, the cost of being a "reapplicant" is apparently worse than a minimal delay in submitting with scores known. Potentially a money saver too... Gives you a moment of reflection before applying to those reaches.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, the cost of being a "reapplicant" is apparently worse than a minimal delay in submitting with scores known. Potentially a money saver too... Gives you a moment of reflection before applying to those reaches.
Re applicant to a particular school or just in generL?

Re applicant to a particular school or just in generL?

Particular school. If you end up applying for a second cycle (because you get sick, bomb the test, who knows?) it's better to have only "applied" to the school you used to get verified than applying blindly to 25.

Particular school. If you end up applying for a second cycle (because you get sick, bomb the test, who knows?) it's better to have only "applied" to the school you used to get verified than applying blindly to 25.
So if I do bomb the test ( :( ) but only apply to like one safety school, reapplying next year won't hurt my chances at any other school? Won't they still know I'm a reapplicant..

^ Yeah, I was under the impression that submitting to AMCAS makes you an applicant in general, meaning that if you submit to AMCAS next year you would be considered a re-applicant. Can someone chime on this? I'm not 100% about this.

Doing my Circuits re-review and Electrochemistry review today. Got 21/24 on the review passages yesterday. Electricity and Circuits were my favorite part of Physics II though.
Been trying to drill 3 AAMC passages day, even if it means redoing the passages I have already done to try and get the feel of their verbal and thought process.

I didn't realize being a re applicant had THAT big of a stigma. As long as you improve the weak parts of your application, what's the big deal?

^ Yeah, I was under the impression that submitting to AMCAS makes you an applicant in general, meaning that if you submit to AMCAS next year you would be considered a re-applicant. Can someone chime on this? I'm not 100% about this.

I thought this was the case as well. It's sorta like your pulling the trigger as long as you submit your app.

So if I do bomb the test ( :( ) but only apply to like one safety school, reapplying next year won't hurt my chances at any other school? Won't they still know I'm a reapplicant..

I'm 99% certain you are only a re-applicant to schools you submit your application to. If you use School X to get your application verified, they will get your score/app. If you get your score, decide you want to skip this session, you will only be a 're-applicant' to School X. If you get your score, apply to 10 additional schools and fail to get an acceptance, you would be a reapplicant to all 11 (should you choose to reapply to all of them again).

I don't know how much of an effect it has, except that they "expect improvement in your application", likely above and beyond a new MCAT.

From the AMCAS manual (pg 66):
"Previous Application to a Medical School

If you have a processed AMCAS application from a previous application year that was sent to designated medical schools, you are considered a re-applicant to those medical schools to which you previously applied, regardless of whether a secondary application was completed."

I'm 99% certain you are only a re-applicant to schools you submit your application to. If you use School X to get your application verified, they will get your score/app. If you get your score, decide you want to skip this session, you will only be a 're-applicant' to School X. If you get your score, apply to 10 additional schools and fail to get an acceptance, you would be a reapplicant to all 11 (should you choose to reapply to all of them again).

I don't know how much of an effect it has, except that they "expect improvement in your application", likely above and beyond a new MCAT.

If you have a processed AMCAS application from a previous application year that was sent to designated medical schools, you are considered a re-applicant to those medical schools to which you previously applied, regardless of whether a secondary application was completed."
Thanks!! Definitely applying to my lowest safety lol

SO apparently, everything about Phase Equilibria is removed from the 2015 outline, which corresponds to all of TBR's B2S2 chapter. Anyone else gonna skip this section?

Phase equilibria isn't in the AAMC outline but it is covered briefly in some of the Khan videos...

What specifically does that include? Like dissolved gasses and stuff?

at

I think it refers to 1) phase change diagrams and 2) phase diagrams
(google to see what this looks like)

Phase equilibria isn't in the AAMC outline but it is covered briefly in some of the Khan videos...

I think it refers to 1) phase change diagrams and 2) phase diagrams
(google to see what this looks like)
Khan Academy covers a lot of crap that's not gonna be on the exam. they went through the details of the teeth for GI...like no.

Sometimes I definitely get discouraged seeing big tables and nitty gritty details in my TPR book. I'm like "theres nooooooo way they'll test us on that!".
Idk, I just feel that if I know the underlying concepts and HOW things work, I can logic through the problems. It's been working pretty well so far. Anki definitely helps though when I absolutely need to memorize something.

I mean, phase equilibria can essentially be answered by a combination of common sense and knowing background concepts of gases and thermochemistry. Knowing the physical interaction of molecules also helps a lot. I'll probably go through that chapter at the end of my review though, I wanna focus on completing other pertinent chapters first.

I'm mainly using the TBR review books to study..what sections are you guys skipping? Or did you just compare the section you are doing to the outline of the MCAT and seeing if its not on there? I thought about doing that but I would fell like a dick if I didn't study a section only to see it show up on my test. Is this just me?

Phases and Phase Changes have been completely removed except for phase diagrams. I also skipped over most of the momentum chapter and I'm considering skipping over Periodic Motion in favor of doing Optics since that is a pretty important topic. I'll end up skipping most of orgo TBR. I only did the first chapter and found it ridiculously easy. I might do the most relevant chapters which, from what I've seen on the outline, are B1S1, B1S2, B1S3, B2s1, B2S4. Will probably review the others very selectively and not waste too much time on the specifics.

Phases and Phase Changes have been completely removed except for phase diagrams. I also skipped over most of the momentum chapter and I'm considering skipping over Periodic Motion in favor of doing Optics since that is a pretty important topic. I'll end up skipping most of orgo TBR. I only did the first chapter and found it ridiculously easy. I might do the most relevant chapters which, from what I've seen on the outline, are B1S1, B1S2, B1S3, B2s1, B2S4. Will probably review the others very selectively and not waste too much time on the specifics.

Are you studying all topics off TBR besides CARs and psych/sociology?

I'm studying the topics only listed in the 2015 MCAT AAMC outline. Anything else, whether in the content or in the passages, is getting omitted.

As for my content/passage prep (I say it so because I'm not just reading content but also practicing it extensively):
I'm using TBR for PS and Kaplans new books for BS and Biochem. I am however, using TBR's Bio passages. I will be using some of Khan academy's passages and most of the TPRH passages after my content review.
I'm using TPR's Pysch/Socio book which is really good and covers nearly all of the topics on the outline. Probably had to look up like 2-3 topics but they were pretty basic anyways but that was it. I'm also drilling NS Psych/Socio which seems to be more for drilling content that actual analysis because their "analysis" and "experiments" are moderately easy to understand. Still good practice all in all though.
I'm also using AAMCs bundle pack, drilling ~2-3 passages a day from each pack, depending on my time and agenda for that day.
For CARS practice, I'm using NS verbal, which is actually really decent in terms of passage and question style, but their answer explanations are horrible so I just use it for practice. I'm also using AAMC VR and TPRH VR as practice. CARS is pretty much a daily practice of 3-4 passages in one sitting, but I'm going to gradually increase it to 9 passages ~1 month before test day.

Jeez I just realized I wasted 5 minutes of my time writing this. Brb studying again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
hey all!

I am currently registered for the May exam, but I want to take the June exam.

I am in NorCal (near SF) so PLEASE let me know if anyone wants to switch!!

Thanks

How are you drilling 3 passages a day when the test only allows you 20 tries?

I'm studying the topics only listed in the 2015 MCAT AAMC outline. Anything else, whether in the content or in the passages, is getting omitted.

As for my content/passage prep (I say it so because I'm not just reading content but also practicing it extensively):
I'm using TBR for PS and Kaplans new books for BS and Biochem. I am however, using TBR's Bio passages. I will be using some of Khan academy's passages and most of the TPRH passages after my content review.
I'm using TPR's Pysch/Socio book which is really good and covers nearly all of the topics on the outline. Probably had to look up like 2-3 topics but they were pretty basic anyways but that was it. I'm also drilling NS Psych/Socio which seems to be more for drilling content that actual analysis because their "analysis" and "experiments" are moderately easy to understand. Still good practice all in all though.
I'm also using AAMCs bundle pack, drilling ~2-3 passages a day from each pack, depending on my time and agenda for that day.
For CARS practice, I'm using NS verbal, which is actually really decent in terms of passage and question style, but their answer explanations are horrible so I just use it for practice. I'm also using AAMC VR and TPRH VR as practice. CARS is pretty much a daily practice of 3-4 passages in one sitting, but I'm going to gradually increase it to 9 passages ~1 month before test day.

Jeez I just realized I wasted 5 minutes of my time writing this. Brb studying again.

Can anyone else confirm this?

I'm taking my test in June (22nd I believe), and plan on submitting transcripts to AMCAS to get them verified June 1st. I'll put some throwaway school I don't plan on actually attending (Meharry or something) to get the verification to go through.

Say my MCAT isn't what I expect, and I want to wait out another cycle. My target school is LSU or Cornell, if I don't apply to them specifically, but still submit my transcripts to AMCAS, will I get marked down as a "reapplicant" to LSU and Cornell next year, or ONLY Meharry?

Can anyone else confirm this?

I'm taking my test in June (22nd I believe), and plan on submitting transcripts to AMCAS to get them verified June 1st. I'll put some throwaway school I don't plan on actually attending (Meharry or something) to get the verification to go through.

Say my MCAT isn't what I expect, and I want to wait out another cycle. My target school is LSU or Cornell, if I don't apply to them specifically, but still submit my transcripts to AMCAS, will I get marked down as a "reapplicant" to LSU and Cornell next year, or ONLY Meharry?

Only to Meharry; the other schools never got your application the first time, so you'd be a new applicant to those schools the second time around.

So now that the dust has (sort of) settled after the first round of testing, has anyone radically changed their study strategy?

Would like to hear where everyone is at so far content-wise? I was feeling confident about my progress before all the feedback on the exam but now I'm considering postponing to July to have enough time to study biochem and psych/soci sufficiently. What are you using as your main resources for these 2 sections at this point? I have a degree in biochem but am 4 years out of college, so not sure if Kaplan will be sufficient. For psych/soci, I was using TPR but several people shot that down so I'm completely lost for that section.

I know there's still plenty of time to go but I work full time and only get 3-4 hours of studying a day about 5 days a week. I'm also re-taking since I didn't do well on my VR previously (2010) but my science scores were good so I'm aiming to maintain/improve on them (12/7/13) - basically, my priority is a good score over one in time for earlier applications

Although I'm not sure if they're really representative of background knowledge, I did the science sections on 2 diagnostics so far:

TPR: PS=45% (122), BS 75% (127) - No content review
NS: PS= 65%(125), BS 75% (127) - After revising a few chapters of GC and OC

Any advice would be appreciated!

Yeah, I did restructure my study habits a bit to review more in-depth on psych/socio and I've started reading a Biochem book in accordance to the topics on the outline.

lol yeah but their content review isn't really well written so I'm just gonna go through the content outline with a Biochem book and practice TBR Bio's passages.

And it's that time when college gets busy and my studying for the MCAT turns to nil.... June is looking like a hard goal to reach.

True that. Finals and understaffing at the hospital has taken wuite a bit of time off my agenda. I've only been able to complete like half of my agenda for the day ever since last week.