The Official June 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abraxas305

Bark Bark
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we can talk about all things MCAT 2015.
Just registered too!

Members don't see this ad.

I did early decision and I got an interview invite last week. Things CAN move quickly, but if they dont, thats normal. Some schools barely look at regular decision applicants until august/september.

My cousin got in during the mid 1990s said he applied early decision after his junior year of college and had an acceptance by September. This often only happens to early decisions. My friend had numbers competitive at every school besides WashU (slightly lower MCAT then their average) and started to get interviews I believe in November.

Welp I guess I'll be the first one with the guts to post a low score lol

CP:127
CARS:125
BB:126
PS:125
Tot:503

Good thing I took the July test lol congrats to all you guys who did great though. You inspire me :)
What does a 503 equate to on the old test? 28?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oakland. Gotta say, really stings. Thought I had a strong application for that school... making me doubt my whole application

I wouldn't doubt an application with a 3.92 cGPA and a 522 (99th percentile) MCAT, especially since you didn't apply very late in the application cycle.

Hello Everyone,

My name is Chinelo and I am applying for the Fall 2016 Cycle to 23 MD Programs ONLY- 9 in Texas and 14 outside of Texas. I am a Registered Nurse by profession and a graduate of Texas Woman's University- College of Nursing in Houston, Texas with Bachelor of Science in Nursing in May 2014 ( 3.48 cumulative GPA). I currently work for 2 home health agencies part-time. On top of that, I am attending graduate school full-time at UT School of Public Health in Houston since August 2014. I am getting my Masters in Public Health in Community Health Practice. My Graduate GPA is a 3.68 as of the Spring 2015 semester. During the Spring, I worked 6-7 weeks with the City of Houston Department of Health & Human Services on their STRYVE Project, a CDC National initiative striving to reduce youth violence. This summer I have spent 3 months working with Texas Children's Hospital and Baylor College of Medicine doing Public Health Research about Food Allergies in Schools via an Online Educational Tool. Since August 2014, I have been self-studying for the MCAT on and off. I did not start doing practice tests fully until May 2015. On my practice tests, I was scoring between 122-125 on each section and was aiming to score at least a 500 on the new MCAT. I took the MCAT on July 18th, 2015 and got my scores yesterday only scoring a 491 which was in the 23% percentile compared to those who took the exam in April and May of this year. I have opted not to retake and just continue with my application process. My common applications have been submitted and processed with all my transcripts, scores and letters and now I am completing 20 secondary applications. 5 of the 20 secondary applications I have submitted. What do you guys think of my situation? The last day to retake for the current year is September 23, 2015 and I do not want to delay my application. I don't like my score but I am just crossing my fingers and praying to God that my academic background and experiences help me get admitted into medical school.

Hello Everyone,

My name is Chinelo and I am applying for the Fall 2016 Cycle to 23 MD Programs ONLY- 9 in Texas and 14 outside of Texas. I am a Registered Nurse by profession and a graduate of Texas Woman's University- College of Nursing in Houston, Texas with Bachelor of Science in Nursing in May 2014 ( 3.48 cumulative GPA). I currently work for 2 home health agencies part-time. On top of that, I am attending graduate school full-time at UT School of Public Health in Houston since August 2014. I am getting my Masters in Public Health in Community Health Practice. My Graduate GPA is a 3.68 as of the Spring 2015 semester. During the Spring, I worked 6-7 weeks with the City of Houston Department of Health & Human Services on their STRYVE Project, a CDC National initiative striving to reduce youth violence. This summer I have spent 3 months working with Texas Children's Hospital and Baylor College of Medicine doing Public Health Research about Food Allergies in Schools via an Online Educational Tool. Since August 2014, I have been self-studying for the MCAT on and off. I did not start doing practice tests fully until May 2015. On my practice tests, I was scoring between 122-125 on each section and was aiming to score at least a 500 on the new MCAT. I took the MCAT on July 18th, 2015 and got my scores yesterday only scoring a 491 which was in the 23% percentile compared to those who took the exam in April and May of this year. I have opted not to retake and just continue with my application process. My common applications have been submitted and processed with all my transcripts, scores and letters and now I am completing 20 secondary applications. 5 of the 20 secondary applications I have submitted. What do you guys think of my situation? The last day to retake for the current year is September 23, 2015 and I do not want to delay my application. I don't like my score but I am just crossing my fingers and praying to God that my academic background and experiences help me get admitted into medical school.

I don't know of a circumstance where that score will gain admission. I'm sorry. I would not spend the additional money on secondaries and consider your strategy for a retake.

I don't know of a circumstance where that score will gain admission. I'm sorry. I would not spend the additional money on secondaries and consider your strategy for a retake.

Thanks for the advice. I will think about retaking for September and see. I juggle multiple things work and school at the same time so my studying has been on and off. I know that MCAT and USMLE scores have a correlation but I strongly believe they are not causation, just because you end up with a high MCAT Score does not necessarily mean that you will make it all thru medical school but if thats the case. Thanks for the advice!! Ill think about the retake!!

Thanks for the advice. I will think about retaking for September and see. I juggle multiple things work and school at the same time so my studying has been on and off. I know that MCAT and USMLE scores have a correlation but I strongly believe they are not causation, just because you end up with a high MCAT Score does not necessarily mean that you will make it all thru medical school but if thats the case. Thanks for the advice!! Ill think about the retake!!

If you want to attend med school, you'll need to place it (and the respective hurdles like the MCAT) front and center. As much of a "giving" person schools say they want, there's an element of selfishness in what happens along the path... You need to prove you can pass the exam (whatever other burdens you have) because there are dozens of tests, licensing exams, etc ahead. Schools have no need or reason to believe you'd be able to commit more focus in med school, so you need to do whatever you can to do well enough on the exam now. Whether it's more study time (go part time at work? I did.), new strategy, etc.

Truthfully, I would not test in September. You need a major recovery, and 1-2 months while juggling work is not going to cut it in 99% of these cases. You need to consider your options for next year (in my opinion).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

You're 100% right that its correlation not causation. But unfortunately, that's the best they've got. I think the point of having Extra Curricular activities is to prove that med students can juggle many things at once. This is exactly what you'll be doing for the rest of your career as a physician. When I took the MCAT, I was working, going to school full time, doing research, doing clinical and non-clinical volunteering, got married, only had time to study hard for the new MCAT for about 1.5 months total and ended up in the 93%tile. The point of that was not to brag (I'm still worried about whether or not I'll get in), but to point out that most MD applicants are juggling lots of things at once, and unfortunately, it won't be enough to compensate for a low score. Lots of people have some kind of background, and diverse personal experiences that help them get in, but pretty much everyone needs a competitive MCAT score and good grades.

So here's my two cents:
I agree with everything that @NonTrad16 said, and would just that In your situation, both your GPAs are pretty low for most MD schools. But it looks like you have great clinical and volunteer experience. I wouldn't waste the time/money for the non-Texas schools, but If I were you I would probably do all the Texas secondaries (they're usually much cheaper than other schools, favor their IS students, and you already submitted the primary). Then, you ABSOLUTELY have to increase your MCAT score. And I'd do whatever it takes to make sure that happens ie. quit your job (if your financial situation allows for that), not volunteer as much, take an expensive prep course/tutoring if you think it'll help etc. Give yourself plenty of time for this.

Then, I'd maybe consider DO schools too. Your GPA would be much closer to their ranges, and even if you can improve your MCAT to 50%tile, it would match up much better to DO schools. Most MDs try to score around 80%tile to feel "safe" (30ish old test, 508ish on the new test), but thats usually with a much higher GPA. If you just want to become a doctor, then DO is fine. They can do all the same things, similar salary/opportunities.

Finally, just do what you think is right. Everyone on SDN will give their opinion as to what's best, but in the end, you have to decide for yourself. Sorry this ended up being longer than I had hoped. GOOD LUCK and never give up.

You're 100% right that its correlation not causation. But unfortunately, that's the best they've got. I think the point of having Extra Curricular activities is to prove that med students can juggle many things at once. This is exactly what you'll be doing for the rest of your career as a physician. When I took the MCAT, I was working, going to school full time, doing research, doing clinical and non-clinical volunteering, got married, only had time to study hard for the new MCAT for about 1.5 months total and ended up in the 93%tile. The point of that was not to brag (I'm still worried about whether or not I'll get in), but to point out that most MD applicants are juggling lots of things at once, and unfortunately, it won't be enough to compensate for a low score. Lots of people have some kind of background, and diverse personal experiences that help them get in, but pretty much everyone needs a competitive MCAT score and good grades.

So here's my two cents:
I agree with everything that @NonTrad16 said, and would just that In your situation, both your GPAs are pretty low for most MD schools. But it looks like you have great clinical and volunteer experience. I wouldn't waste the time/money for the non-Texas schools, but If I were you I would probably do all the Texas secondaries (they're usually much cheaper than other schools, favor their IS students, and you already submitted the primary). Then, you ABSOLUTELY have to increase your MCAT score. And I'd do whatever it takes to make sure that happens ie. quit your job (if your financial situation allows for that), not volunteer as much, take an expensive prep course/tutoring if you think it'll help etc. Give yourself plenty of time for this.

Then, I'd maybe consider DO schools too. Your GPA would be much closer to their ranges, and even if you can improve your MCAT to 50%tile, it would match up much better to DO schools. Most MDs try to score around 80%tile to feel "safe" (30ish old test, 508ish on the new test), but thats usually with a much higher GPA. If you just want to become a doctor, then DO is fine. They can do all the same things, similar salary/opportunities.

Finally, just do what you think is right. Everyone on SDN will give their opinion as to what's best, but in the end, you have to decide for yourself. Sorry this ended up being longer than I had hoped. GOOD LUCK and never give up.

I have decided to continue with all my secondary applications since my common applications have been transmitted to schools. If I do not gain admission for Fall 2016, I will reapply for Fall 2017 next year and then I will retake the MCAT in April/ May or June 2016 to gain admission for Fall 2017. This is my Plan B. Thanks for the advice everyone and keep me posted on your progress. Good Luck!!

Reactions: 1 users
Make sure to take it by May for the next cycle. Having an early score and applying early makes a big difference.

I have decided to continue with all my secondary applications since my common applications have been transmitted to schools. If I do not gain admission for Fall 2016, I will reapply for Fall 2017 next year and then I will retake the MCAT in April/ May or June 2016 to gain admission for Fall 2017. This is my Plan B. Thanks for the advice everyone and keep me posted on your progress. Good Luck!!
Just be cognizant that if you're a reapplicant you'll have to SIGNIFICANTLY improve your application the next time you apply. You'll be scrutinized much more for being a reapplicant (from what I've learned)

Just be cognizant that if you're a reapplicant you'll have to SIGNIFICANTLY improve your application the next time you apply. You'll be scrutinized much more for being a reapplicant (from what I've learned)

What happened with you exactly? Be more specific. If you do not feel comfortable speaking about it here, then, email me at [email protected]

Also, several ADCOMs have mentioned that at least 25% of each cycle are reapplicants; however, re applicants are accepted at a lower rate than new applicants due to the additional scrutiny. Significant improvement means going from a 40th percentile to a 70th percentile minimum. Also, may need to improve that GPA. I think you have a lot to offer, but your numbers as is will not pass most schools' preliminary look.

Also, several ADCOMs have mentioned that at least 25% of each cycle are reapplicants; however, re applicants are accepted at a lower rate than new applicants due to the additional scrutiny. Significant improvement means going from a 40th percentile to a 70th percentile minimum. Also, may need to improve that GPA. I think you have a lot to offer, but your numbers as is will not pass most schools' preliminary look.

I am already done with undergrad and that was my cumulative GPA. This is my breakdown according to AMCAS and TMDSAS.

Overall GPA: 3.49
Overall BCPM GPA: 3.89
Undergrad GPA: 3.47
Undergrad BCPM GPA: 3.88
Undergrad Non-BCPM GPA: 3.23
Graduate Total GPA: 3.68
Graduate BCPM GPA: 4.00
Graduate Non-BCPM GPA: 3.60

Undergrad Major: Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Profession: Registered Nurse- works 2 jobs, conducts research with BCM and TCH, Intern with Houston Health Department
Graduate Major: Masters in Public Health- Community Health Practice Major

I am already done with undergrad and that was my cumulative GPA. This is my breakdown according to AMCAS and TMDSAS.

Overall GPA: 3.49
Overall BCPM GPA: 3.89
Undergrad GPA: 3.47
Undergrad BCPM GPA: 3.88
Undergrad Non-BCPM GPA: 3.23
Graduate Total GPA: 3.68
Graduate BCPM GPA: 4.00
Graduate Non-BCPM GPA: 3.60

Undergrad Major: Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Profession: Registered Nurse- works 2 jobs, conducts research with BCM and TCH, Intern with Houston Health Department
Graduate Major: Masters in Public Health- Community Health Practice Major

I think you will be absolute golden if you can pull up your MCAT for next cycle!

Thanks! Are you applying this cycle? Have you gotten admitted?

No, I am applying this cycle. Much of my recommendations are based of what some of the more respected members and ADCOMS say here on SDN. If I were you, I would as Goro, gyngyn, gonniff, and LizzyM for advice in the future.

I understand and that is one of the reasons I do not want to retake and reapply because you have to make a significantly big improvement. I know who I am inside and I have always struggled with standardized test, I will go the extra mile by making high enough gpas, doing activities, research and etc but when it comes to test taking I am not that great at it. My only fear is retaking MCAT multiple times and not making that big of an improvement, then, its like how can you get out of this situation and even get into medical school. Is it the fact that I can never be a doctor or what???

I understand and that is one of the reasons I do not want to retake and reapply because you have to make a significantly big improvement. I know who I am inside and I have always struggled with standardized test, I will go the extra mile by making high enough gpas, doing activities, research and etc but when it comes to test taking I am not that great at it. My only fear is retaking MCAT multiple times and not making that big of an improvement, then, its like how can you get out of this situation and even get into medical school. Is it the fact that I can never be a doctor or what???

You just need to get a good enough mcat score and you will be good based on the other parts of the application. Break a 60% and you will be great. You just have to dedicate all of your time to studying and testing because test taking is a big part of becoming a doctor. Take a few months off or reduce your hours at work. Focus on the MCAT because it is your ticket. Take a lot of practice exams and build your stamina. Take a test prep course if that is the only way you can give yourself structure. If you break a 60% the next time you take it, then apply broadly to DO schools, your state MD, and lower tier MDs and you will get in somewhere. But the MCAT is very important because it is the only thing the ADCOMS can use to compare your intellect and mastery of material with that of the other 50,000 applicants.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the tips. I am aiming for the 50-60th% percentiles or the highest I can achieve. I will try to retake and reapply for next year cuz I know I will not be able to make it this application cycle from what people are saying and there experiences.

He meant that you need to make a significantly big improvement on your ENTIRE application if you are a reapplicant to med school. It is easier to just worry about retaking the MCAT and trying to significantly just raise just that one aspect of your application. A lot of people retake the MCAT. It sounds like you are over committed with a lot of stuff. I would focus strictly on the MCAT full time for 3 months and nothing else. Not everyone is capable of taking classes, juggling work, and research and studying for the test at the same time (I personally wouldn't be able to do all that). Bottom line the most important aspect of your application with be GPA and MCAT scores. And to be honest, saying that you struggle with standardized tests is not a good reason because in med school you will be taking tons of tests, including standardized licensing exams throughout your career. The tests and material will only get harder.

He meant that you need to make a significantly big improvement on your ENTIRE application if you are a reapplicant to med school. It is easier to just worry about retaking the MCAT and trying to significantly just raise just that one aspect of your application. A lot of people retake the MCAT. It sounds like you are over committed with a lot of stuff. I would focus strictly on the MCAT full time for 3 months and nothing else. Not everyone is capable of taking classes, juggling work, and research and studying for the test at the same time (I personally wouldn't be able to do all that). Bottom line the most important aspect of your application with be GPA and MCAT scores. And to be honest, saying that you struggle with standardized tests is not a good reason because in med school you will be taking tons of tests, including standardized licensing exams throughout your career. The tests and material will only get harder.

I actually took off 10 months to retake the MCAT (twice), after not having studied for it in 4 years (old 2010 test, a '30', had expired). I spent 5.5 months on the first test in Jan, only to get hammered on the verbal(ended up with another '30'), and then then another 4.5 months for the new 2015 MCAT in June. Devoting myself full-time to the exam definitely paid off! I was thrilled with my recent score!! I went up 5 points (base score of 35)!!

Hildace,

Personally, I feel like you have worked extremely hard and should be rewarded for your hardwork and effort. I don't think I would see myself coming back to MCAT after 7 years. I am honored by your words of Wisdom ad advice to never give up. I will continue to think about your struggles as I move forward with this experience of MCAT Troubles. If I do not get in this cycle, I will retake the exam by May 2016 to reapply for 2017. However, I am going to be cautious because this new MCAT has limits meaning you can not take it more than 7 times in a lifetime. Thanks for the tips. Keep us posted on your progress. I look forward to hearing from you.

Just wanted to post some encouragement for all you June MCAT takers, 2 acceptances with a 502 MCAT. So for all you readers out there, don't get discouraged. Anything is possible.

Reactions: 7 users
Man I remember spending hours in this thread lol. Ended up w a 516. 2 acceptances, 10 rejections/Silence, and waiting to hear from 5 more post-interview.

I used Altius's MCAT Everywhere online program. It's the online materials I used other than the AAMC FL and the AAMC Official Guide, which are both part of Altius's program. Never opened a textbook or any class notes, just studied straight from their prep materials and did what they said to do.

As far as how I felt leaving the test, I honestly strongly considered voiding it (glad I didn't! haha) because I thought I had bombed everything but CAR, which is ironic given that CAR was my worst section.

Hey scoops. Congratulations on your MCAT score. I just found out about another Altius SDN'er like two minutes ago who also scored above 520. That's pretty exciting. Anyway, I'll ask you the same thing I asked him/her, have you applied to be a tutor? I highly recommend it because they treat us like gold and you can not only do it now, but keep a few students for extra cash throughout med school. I can PM you an application link if you want. I know that we really need MCAT Everywhere tutors.

Hate to be a debbie downer, but applicants with <506 and success usually fall into 1 out of 3 categories (or multiple out of the 3)
1) URM status
2) Military experience
3) Combination of great state of residence + truly unique ECs (honestly not sure what these are, but that's why they are TRULY unique)

Hate to be a debbie downer, but applicants with <506 and success usually fall into 1 out of 3 categories (or multiple out of the 3)
1) URM status
2) Military experience
3) Combination of great state of residence + truly unique ECs (honestly not sure what these are, but that's why they are TRULY unique)

I will say that there is some truth to this statement, (I am an AA female, but I have a 3.99GPA, pretty nice ECs, and live in a state with two mid-tier state schools) but with this newer MCAT, schools were forced to view students more holistically. There is no documentation that says that a person with a 512 will do better in medical school/residency than a person with a 502. There just isn't. You have to be very smart about how you apply, but there are risks and exceptions that come with playing the game. I was waitlisted at my state school that my MCAT fell perfectly in-line with (even if I was an ORM!) but accepted at another school (more competitive, but still in-state) that would have considered my score low. The point is that everyone has cards that they play (whether they are aware of them or not); there are advantages and disadvantages that apply to just about everyone. The important thing is to recognize them and move forward. I wish everyone who is applying good luck!

I will say that there is some truth to this statement, (I am an AA female, but I have a 3.99GPA, pretty nice ECs, and live in a state with two mid-tier state schools) but with this newer MCAT, schools were forced to view students more holistically. There is no documentation that says that a person with a 512 will do better in medical school/residency than a person with a 502. There just isn't. You have to be very smart about how you apply, but there are risks and exceptions that come with playing the game. I was waitlisted at my state school that my MCAT fell perfectly in-line with (even if I was an ORM!) but accepted at another school (more competitive, but still in-state) that would have considered my score low. The point is that everyone has cards that they play (whether they are aware of them or not); there are advantages and disadvantages that apply to just about everyone. The important thing is to recognize them and move forward. I wish everyone who is applying good luck!

To be honest, the argument for a 512 vs. 502 has never been about whether or not students will succeed in medical school. In fact, the latest data showed above a 27, the likelihood was comparable all the way up to the 40s. The unfortunate truth is, medical school IS a numbers game, and by that I mean, schools like to have higher stats. Obviously, if 2 candidates are equal or close to equal in all facets non-academic (ECs, LORs, etc.), the candidate with a higher MCAT + GPA total is going to be admitted as long as he/she doesn't blow the interview. I don't think people realize how many competitive candidates there are for a select few seats, and with so many students with similar ECs, it's become even more difficult to distinguish candidates. As far as reasoning for wanting a 512 over a 502 from the school's perspective, I'd imagine schools justify this desire with a key assumption: 1) A higher matriculant MCAT average will look better and attract more competitive candidates long term.

http://www.savvypremed.com/savvy-pr...matters-to-med-schools-its-not-what-you-think

Obviously not the best source, but the ideas put forth do make sense and could potentially justify schools emphasizing higher scores; when in reality, higher scores correlate similarly with average ones in terms of medical school success.

Last edited:
To be honest, the argument for a 512 vs. 502 has never been about whether or not students will succeed in medical school. In fact, the latest data showed above a 27, the likelihood was comparable all the way up to the 40s. The unfortunate truth is, medical school IS a numbers game, and by that I mean, schools like to have higher stats. Obviously, if 2 candidates are equal or close to equal in all facets non-academic (ECs, LORs, etc.), the candidate with a higher MCAT + GPA total is going to be admitted as long as he/she doesn't blow the interview. I don't think people realize how many competitive candidates there are for a select few seats, and with so many students with similar ECs, it's become even more difficult to distinguish candidates. As far as reasoning for wanting a 512 over a 502 from the school's perspective, I'd imagine schools justify this desire with a key assumption: 1) A higher matriculant MCAT average will look better and attract more competitive candidates long term.

http://www.savvypremed.com/savvy-pr...matters-to-med-schools-its-not-what-you-think

Obviously not the best source, but the ideas put forth do make sense and could potentially justify schools emphasizing higher scores; when in reality, higher scores correlate similarly with average ones in terms of medical school success.

Very true statement. Numbers get you in the door, and then ECs help distinguish you from other applicants. I saw somewhere (perhaps that AMCAS website) that applicants that score within the 50-60th percentile are shown to perform just as well in medical school as students who scored higher with similar GPAs/ECs. There are a lot of competitive applicants, but at the same time it is also important to have a diverse class, which gives URMs/military/non-trad/disadvantaged a bit of a fighting chance. I don't know what will make the process more fair other than adding more seats, but I love discussions about this process.

Adding more seats is the only available option IMO (but this will ultimately be useless without increasing residency slots, which is already an issue). Another potential option would be limiting race and only allowing one to disclose financial information on AMCAS, giving an advantage to those who grew up with less (but not giving an advantage to an URM with an affluent upbringing). However, one could argue that diversity in race is just as important in medicine as physicians with experienced insight into poverty. Nonetheless, the system is constructed the way it is, and we're the players.

1) URM status
2) Military experience
I am a white male, from a small town. My LORs were average, no military experience, live in minnesota, and have a 3.75 overall GPA (3.8 science). Not too unique, but it worked for me.

I am a white male, from a small town. My LORs were average, no military experience, live in minnesota, and have a 3.75 overall GPA (3.8 science). Not too unique, but it worked for me.

Minnesota applicants = 899
Minnesota matriculants = 393
For a 44% acceptance rate.

For a small comparison,
California applicants = 6520
California matriculants = 2438
For a 37% acceptance rate.

Only better states than Minnesota are adjacent ones, namely South Dakota (46%) and North Dakota (48%).

Not saying your acceptance wasn't earned, simply pointing out that not all states are created equal. Your GPA is excellent btw, which definitely helped compensate the MCAT! (average matriculant science and non-science are 3.64 and 3.77 respectively, for a cumulative of 3.70- though science is definitely weighted more)

Last edited:
Took the June 2015 MCAT and just applied to med schools but I'm questioning whether I should have retaken the MCAT. I thought I had a good score.. In my mind, it was like a 30 on the old test, and I had this idea that that was the number I needed to reach to have a chance at an acceptance, yet everyone else seems to have much higher scores. :( Any advice?

Chem/Phys: 127
CARS: 124
Bio/BioChem: 130
Psych: 127

MCAT: 508
GPA: 3.8