The Official June 21, 2014 MCAT thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saxappeal1

M.D.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey so I know a lot of us were posting on June MCAT'ers unite, but I want to get to know the progress of all of us 6/21'ers in particular. Let's do it.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I'll join (although I wasn't part of the June MCAT'ers unite crew). :hello:

I'm a non-trad, finished with coursework, currently working full time (well, more like 3/4 time these days...), so I've been studying for the MCAT for quite awhile due to my schedule. Did a modified SN2 for content review from early February through mid-April, and then have switched to the Spinach Dip 2-month schedule for 4/21-6/21 to get as much practice in as possible. Just took AAMC 3 yesterday and got a 34 (12/12/10). I'm cautiously optimistic at this point--I know that AAMC 3 is notoriously the easiest FL practice test, so I'm still trying to keep my head down and work, work, work!

Happy to have a group to check in with to keep me motivated and focused in the final stretch!

Reactions: 1 user
Ah, no way--30 is a great score for AAMC 3! Sounds like you are well on your way. How are you planning to tackle the next <2 months before the real deal?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
BACK TO THIS AGAIN!!!
i haven't confirmed...but am looking towards JUNE 21ST.

Content review: CHAD'S VIDEOS
Practice: TPR SWB
FL: Will start around June 1st.

LETS DO THIS!

Wait, UoCfin when did you take?

No! didn't take it last year. I had signed up for about the same date (or was is it June 20th=my birthdate), but i had a heavy course load and therefore didn't do the practice i needed, so i decided to cancel and wait till this year. I have to say i've have once again had a busy year, but this time around not as bad...so i will take another shot at it.

Hey, I've decided not to take the MCAT and I have all my books to sell. I literally have everything you need for SN2ed. All TBR, TPR, EK, 35 different FL's from all the companies, and so much more. Email me at: [email protected]. If you guys wanna buy it. Good luck to all of you!

BACK TO THIS AGAIN!!!
i haven't confirmed...but am looking towards JUNE 21ST.

Content review: CHAD'S VIDEOS
Practice: TPR SWB
FL: Will start around June 1st.

LETS DO THIS!

How are you liking Chad's videos? I was actually lucky enough to go to ASU, where he works, and that guy seriously has a gift for simplifying chemistry topics. I used some of his MCAT-specific videos during my content review, and they also seemed pretty good--definitely did a better job of holding my attention than my TBR books when I was tired or unmotivated to study.

I'm not sure if Chad's videos are enough to score well enough. If you want a 30, his videos are enough, but if you want a 35+, TBR + chad's video is really helpful. His Orgo/G-Chem is amazing, his physics and bio are mediocre.

How are you liking Chad's videos? I was actually lucky enough to go to ASU, where he works, and that guy seriously has a gift for simplifying chemistry topics. I used some of his MCAT-specific videos during my content review, and they also seemed pretty good--definitely did a better job of holding my attention than my TBR books when I was tired or unmotivated to study.

POINT BLANK= LOVE THE GUY...LOVE THE VIDEOS...like i have said before...I sat in a 3hr class/lecture (O-Chem)...couldn't understand what in the world was going on; 5 min or less with chad on the same topic...I understand the whole entire topic and then some. Amazing results is all i can say.

@broski123 *+1

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone take any tests recently? I took AAMC 5 and got a 28, 10-9-9
I recenty took AAMC 3 and got a 29 11-8-10... hopin to improve verbal and maybe jump my sciences a point or two for a score of 33-35ish... idk if i should be worried because it was my first test and i was so out of it did not think i got a 29 while taking it... at the same time i heard aamc 3 was the easiest and the new tests are way harder... ooh well just gonna do spinach method and BR passages at night

Hi, can someone explain what we need to know about the 3 portal systems in the circulatory system ( hypophyseal system, hepatic portal system, renal system)-
I know that a portal system is when a capillary bed pools into another capillary bed via veins ( and thus, NOT going through the heart first) . whats the overall functional significance of such a system and is there anything further we need to know about each one?

Basically portal systems allow direct communication between organs. Usually blood vessels go through one capillary bed but in portals they go through two so substances in blood can be exchanged by two organs

ex. small intestine portal to liver allows nutrients to go straight to the liver for processing

Rescheduled to June 21 so I will start here.

Using Chad's Videos for Gen Chem and O-Chem. Also using with Physics but I just finished Physics so it is fresh in my mind.
Biology is MCAT-Review. Remember, biology is like VR now. Know your stuff but be able to decipher a passage.
Practice problems are all TPR SWB 2013 edition

Practice tests start June 1st.

Good luck!

How are your guys AAMC scores looking so far.. people say the later the number the harder the AAMC but ive been improving
AAMC 3-29 11-8-10
AAMC 4 33 12-11-10
AAMC 5 34 12-9-13
You guys should check out spinach method.

Hello all- most likely pushing from June 5th to this date. Are you guys/gals planning on submitting the AMCAS early or waiting until we get scores in July?

Hello all- most likely pushing from June 5th to this date. Are you guys/gals planning on submitting the AMCAS early or waiting until we get scores in July?

I'm going to submit AMCAS early … It doesn't hurt to get verified while waiting for our scores. If you aren't confident with your performance on the exam and would consider reapplying in the next cycle, then hold off on submitting AMCAS, or just add one school until you get the score back.

I'm going to submit AMCAS early … It doesn't hurt to get verified while waiting for our scores. If you aren't confident with your performance on the exam and would consider reapplying in the next cycle, then hold off on submitting AMCAS, or just add one school until you get the score back.

Yeah that's what I was planning on doing with the one school, submitting by June 10th.

...waiting until I get the score, I'm not risking it....

You can just add one school until you get the score back.

Joining the club.
score last july: 9/9/8

want mid-30s this year
reviewing content with Chad for the next two weeks, combined with EK 1001.
Took a bunch of upper level bio classes since last year so hopefully that pays off

Wait a sec... Totally thought I had already posted here. Hi all! Hope your studying is going well.

I've been fluctuating around 30 for the last four tests. Shooting for a 34-36. Do you guys think that's doable in the next 4 (!) weeks?

Also, does anyone know how long these scores will last? I know most schools do 2-3 years, but I know of one that's apparently only accepting them for this cycle, then switching to the 2015 test starting next cycle.

med candidate how were you doing on your practice scores before you took the July exam?
Im scoring between 32-35 but my greatest fear is the real deal will by much harder and drop my score by like 5 points :0 loll

Rescheduled to June 21 so I will start here.

Using Chad's Videos for Gen Chem and O-Chem. Also using with Physics but I just finished Physics so it is fresh in my mind.
Biology is MCAT-Review. Remember, biology is like VR now. Know your stuff but be able to decipher a passage.
Practice problems are all TPR SWB 2013 edition

Practice tests start June 1st.

Good luck!
I'll start taking practice tests on June 1st as well ;)

So where do you guys all stand on the whole " earlier AAMCs are easier" I think that isnt necessarily true, my scores have been shooting up since AAMC 3 which is supposedly the easiest one and havent done much but taking tests and reviewing old concepts.

Joining the club guys I took a TPR class and did content review over the semester and Im doing pretty well on AAMCs
AAMC 3 30
AAMC 4 33
AAMC 5 34
AAMC7 35(should be a 37 because computer lagged and dropped my P.S score 2 points)

Hey guys 3rd time retaker here. I have all the AAMCs and TPRs, but I want new material to practice with, anyone know where I can find/buy other new practices mcats?

Ayyy! Just popping my head in here... mostly to vent.
I'm following the 3-month schedule, and I'm a bit behind, which freaks me out because it might mean sacrificing a practice test, which could potentially be what hinders my potential score. I really don't want to postpone at this point, but I also don't want to risk having to retake if my score is unsatisfactory.

I'm doing well in my TBR science passages and my performance in passages from TPR are improving. My AAMC #3 score sucked majorrrr, but I'm going to blame it on psyching myself way too much, because nearly all of my mistakes were due to not paying attention because of my nerves. I rushed through too many easy problems and let the tricky questions consume too much of my time. I'll be taking another tomorrow and I'm hoping that my score will go up just out of familiarity with the format.

med candidate how were you doing on your practice scores before you took the July exam?
Im scoring between 32-35 but my greatest fear is the real deal will by much harder and drop my score by like 5 points :0 loll
Hey guys,
last year I spent a majority of my time reviewing content and did not get nearly enough practice.
Between now and then, I have taken more upper level bio courses and practiced with 1001 EK for PS. Also I've developed a habit of reading obscure news articles for fun.
I barely reviewed orgo last year bc I ran out of time. Def covering all my blindspots this year

To be well-prepared, I think you need to have familiarity with upper level classes. But know the aamc list cold.
I'm a perfectionist and I tend to get very anxious every time i come across a concept I'm uncomfortable with. As such, It's hard for me to practice without reviewing all the material first. Half way thru chem and orgo tho, hopefully will finish review in the next week.

Took AAMC #3 over spring break for a 10/10/11

Last edited:
being a retaker, my motivation has been at an all time low even tho I should be much more equipped this year.

Happy to be a part of this motivation fest; here's to killing this ish once and for all

Last edited:
SaxAppeal do you find most of your mistakes are due to content or silly mistakes? AAMC 7 had quite a few curveballs lol

I decided to skip AAMC 4 and 5 and went straight to # 7. My total score actually jumped 7 points since last time. Quite thrilled.
I made a very dumb mistake and ran out of time to finish the last few discretes in the PS because I assumed the last passage was the end of the section, so I had to randomly click for the last few questions before time ran out. Ugh, I was so mad at myself. Still got a satisfactory score on the section, so I can only imagine what I would've gotten had I spaced out my time better. Oh well.

Hey guys I was wondering how you guys are going about improving verbal

Literally for the last month i scored straight 9s and the occasional 10 and 11. I really want an 11 I think that's reachable but I always manage to miss 11 questions. Whether the passage felt easy or hard. Like dam this thing really is standardized.

I'm just doing more verbal passages and trying various strategies to see how they work for me and if I can incorporate them into my own method. I've been doing that whole "read the intro, skim the body, read the conclusion" method and it honestly has improved my score by a lot, but I still feel very frazzled when I have to go back and forth to seek out details from the text, which might be my downfall. I suppose it just means I need to practice more.