The Official June 21, 2014 MCAT thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saxappeal1

M.D.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey so I know a lot of us were posting on June MCAT'ers unite, but I want to get to know the progress of all of us 6/21'ers in particular. Let's do it.

Members don't see this ad.

It's against the SDN terms of service to post false messages about scores being up.
Correct.

Please do not do this. It is disrespectful and unkind to your fellow users, and it is a violation of the TOS you all agreed to follow when you joined our site. For these reasons, as explained in the sticky at the top of the forum, false "scores up" posts will result in your account being placed on hold for one week, even for a first offense.

Edit: And best of luck to everyone waiting on scores. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
My score: 33 (12/11/10)
AAMC Average: 31-33, not sure...
Predicted: 29-31 (9/10/10)

No retake, at least :)

Reactions: 2 users
test date june 21/14
fl aamc avg. 32 with high of 40
my actual score. is. 37
12/11/14. edit correction. 11/12 verbal/14. but still a 37 total

with my 4.0 gpa looks like i got a great shot to get in, i want md/phd program, and i have the time since i am a 17 yo Senior

9/8/10=27

Not retaking because I've taken this damn test too many times, not pleased but hoping for the best. Avg was around 31.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got a 29 but so unbalanced.... 12 PS, 7 V, 10 BS

Gonna apply ED to state school..MCAT requirement is 27 composite. Last MCAT a year ago I did get an 8

Eff verbal -_-

Reactions: 1 users
I got a 6 in verbal . Better than my averages for physics and bio. I need at least a 7 in verbal to apply to my schools. I thought I did well on verbal and bombed physics but turned out the other way around. Clearly I suck at predicting my score. Speachless. Super happy for everyone who did so well!

Test Date: 6/21/2014
FL AAMC Average: 33
Post-test expected score: 33
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 34 (14/10/10)
Comments: Excited! My verbal score was higher than usual...I was hoping it would be too. I felt comfortable with it for the first time when I was taking it. My bio is lower than usual but the section was killer on this day. Oh well! Time to celebrate!

I got a 6 in verbal . Better than my averages for physics and bio. I need at least a 7 in verbal to apply to my schools. I thought I did well on verbal and bombed physics but turned out the other way around. Clearly I suck at predicting my score. Speachless. Super happy for everyone who did so well!

Damn girl...that's tough. Keep your spirits up, though!! :) ()()

FL AAMC Average: N/A
Post-test expected score: 26-30
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS): 12/11/11
Comments: I am so pleased right now! Of the pre-reqs, I've only taken the physics courses, and the last time I had chemistry was in highschool, same for biology. So I was self taught for the entire BS section. I was hoping for a bit higher on PS, since I majored in maths and physics, but overall I can't complain. I am so relieved!

I've been reading through this thread for a while, decided to post and see what you nice people have to say. Also, congrats to everyone who is getting the score they'd hoped for or better!

Test Date:
6/21/2014
FL AAMC Average: 31.333
Post-test expected score: 28-30
Actual Score ( PS / V / BS): 31 (13/10/8)
Comments: Not sure how to feel...
2011 score: 27 (10/6/11)
2012 score: 27 (9/6/12)

Happy to have gotten a 31, as 4 points is a pretty decent jump from my last two MCAT exams from three and two years ago, and the only reason I was retaking was because of my super low verbal score, which has finally reached double digits (woo!)...but extremely disappointed in my bio score...I had been averaging 11-12 on my AAMC practice exams...and I've taught physiology for the past two years...I know my bio, I swear! I wonder how badly this will reflect on my overall application.

After many test day technical difficulties I am pleased to have gotten a 30! Congrats to everyone for all their hard work.

FL AAMC Average: 31
Post-test expected score: 25-35 (I really had no clue)
Actual Score: 29 (PS/V/BS) (11/9/9)
Comments: I'm a little disappointed that I didn't score a 30 but I'm perfectly content with it. Phys and Verb are right around what they usually are, but my bio is down a little...those f'n organic passages. At the end of the day though I believe this score will get me into a Med School somewhere! :)

11 Ps 7 vr 10 bs 28 total. Really happy and not retaking. Wish my verbal was higher but oh well I hit my average and I like my science scores.

Test Date:6/21/2014
FL AAMC AVG: 27.5
Post-Test Expected Score: 28 (9/11/8)
Actual Score: (PS/VR/BS): 10/11/10
Comments: OH MY FLIPPING GOD I BROKE 30!!!!! The highest I'd ever scored was a 29 and I scored a 28 2 days before the test. This was my third time taking the test the first two were 24 and 25 and this process has been sooooooo stressful. I have been in a constant state of stress this entire month. OMG all I can say is thank you JESUS!! Also when I first logged in I saw my first score (24) and dang near died then I realized it was the old one lol. I felt H O R R I B L E after the exam and cried the whole way home. Trust in your abilities and trust in God!!!

Reactions: 7 users
I've been reading through this thread for a while, decided to post and see what you nice people have to say. Also, congrats to everyone who is getting the score they'd hoped for or better!
FL AAMC Average: 31.333
Post-test expected score: 28-30
Actual Score ( PS / V / BS): 31
(13/10/8)
Comments: Not sure how to feel...
2011 score: 27 (10/6/11)
2012 score: 27 (9/6/12)

Happy to have gotten a 31, as 4 points is a pretty decent jump from my last two MCAT exams from three and two years ago, and the only reason I was retaking was because of my super low verbal score, which has finally reached double digits (woo!)...but extremely disappointed in my bio score...I had been averaging 11-12 on my AAMC practice exams...and I've taught physiology for the past two years...I know my bio, I swear! I wonder how badly this will reflect on my overall application.

From my understanding some schools take the highest in each section from each MCAT. Which would be a 35 for you, which is really solid.

Need some advice guys:

I'm content with my score, and I understand it is not high: 26 (10/9/7 (Expected a lower Bio it was tough))

I have a 4.0 AO GPA and a 3.9 SCI GPA with great clinical experience (with lost of patient contact), lots of meaningful leadership, teacher assistant positions, and strong letters. I feel that I am very well rounded but this MCAT is killing me. I know MCAT isn't the only thing schools look at. Is it wrong for me to think I will get in keeping this MCAT score?

AAMC Average: 33
Post-test expected score: 27 =(
Actual Score: (PS/V/BS): 34 (12/10/12)
Comments: It was such a huge relief to see my score! Followed by happiness! Although I thought I did better on VR than usual-- and it turned out exactly the same as my average. Then again, I also thought I did worse (A LOT WORSE) on BS and PS than usual-- and turned out just around my average again. SO, I have to agree that your practice test scores are really the very best predictor.

I am signed up for the test on 8/7. I haven't decided if I will actually take it, though. Thoughts?

got 12/10/12 = 34
kaplan (took the first 5) and AAMC (took 8 of these) average = 36.75

12 is exactly what i expected from PS. i knew i missed a couple but i also knew my floor was pretty high.

kind of disappointed with a 10 in verbal. i felt pretty good after that one, but i do understand that it's an easier section for everyone and the scale is harsher, plus fewer questions means getting one wrong (or right) can swing your score more sharply

very pleased with a 12 in bio, given the difficulty of the passages. obviously there was a very generous scale on this section, because i ran out of time and had to educated-guess on several. i was getting consistent 12s and 13s on the practice tests, so i wouldn't have been thrilled with a 12 a month ago, but considering how i felt after the test i'll take it

overall not thrilled with the score but it's still pretty good, and i won't retake. i signed up for thursday's (7/24) immediately after the test because i knew my score would be on the lower end of my range. i got a 40 and a 39 on the two AAMCs i took this past week in preparation for having to retake, but i think with a 34 the chances are too great that i'd post a score within a couple points of that, so it's not worth it. i was hoping for a 36+, but i can live with a 34

Need some advice guys:

I'm content with my score, and I understand it is not high: 26 (10/9/7 (Expected a lower Bio it was tough))

I have a 4.0 AO GPA and a 3.9 SCI GPA with great clinical experience (with lost of patient contact), lots of meaningful leadership, teacher assistant positions, and strong letters. I feel that I am very well rounded but this MCAT is killing me. I know MCAT isn't the only thing schools look at. Is it wrong for me to think I will get in keeping this MCAT score?

The 7 might really hurt you. You can apply and retake.

Comments: It was such a huge relief to see my score! Followed by happiness! Although I thought I did better on VR than usual-- and it turned out exactly the same as my average. Then again, I also thought I did worse (A LOT WORSE) on BS and PS than usual-- and turned out just around my average again. SO, I have to agree that your practice test scores are really the very best predictor.

I am signed up for the test on 8/7. I haven't decided if I will actually take it, though. Thoughts?

No. Don't. Not at all.

Average: 36 (12 12 12)
Actual: 37 (14 ps 12 bio 11 vr)

Nothing amazing, but pretty good. Im satisfied. Hard to feel to happy about this after someone I know got a 43

I'm in the same boat, I scored higher on my practice. I don't know if I should either.

got 12/10/12 = 34
kaplan (took the first 5) and AAMC (took 8 of these) average = 36.75

12 is exactly what i expected from PS. i knew i missed a couple but i also knew my floor was pretty high.

kind of disappointed with a 10 in verbal. i felt pretty good after that one, but i do understand that it's an easier section for everyone and the scale is harsher, plus fewer questions means getting one wrong (or right) can swing your score more sharply

very pleased with a 12 in bio, given the difficulty of the passages. obviously there was a very generous scale on this section, because i ran out of time and had to educated-guess on several. i was getting consistent 12s and 13s on the practice tests, so i wouldn't have been thrilled with a 12 a month ago, but considering how i felt after the test i'll take it

overall not thrilled with the score but it's still pretty good, and i won't retake. i signed up for thursday's (7/24) immediately after the test because i knew my score would be on the lower end of my range. i got a 40 and a 39 on the two AAMCs i took this past week in preparation for having to retake, but i think with a 34 the chances are too great that i'd post a score within a couple points of that, so it's not worth it. i was hoping for a 36+, but i can live with a 34

How many questions do you think you guessed on? I had the same issue on the 7/12 exam, I ran out of time on Bio and did lots of guessing. I was averaging 12-13 on AAMCs.

The 7 might really hurt you. You can apply and retake.

Would it matter if on the last MCAT (my computer shut down twice during the exam and I had to leave the test site for 30 min during the verbal section lol) I scored an 8 on bio? Do most schools look at the highest score of each section among all the tests you taken?

FL AAMC Average: 29
Post-test expected score: 27-30
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 30 (11/09/10)
Comments: I'm so happy, I screamed. I'm so relieved! I studied for a long time and worked very hard, and even though some luck may have been involved, I'm so glad to be done! And what a great balance! I can now apply to my dream school. I actually semi-cried when I saw it. YAY!!!! :highfive: Congratulations to everyone who got their score! And, for those that didn't, use me as an example. I got a 23 (9/7/7) the first time around. I worked hard and hung in there and I am so happy to see the results! Don't give up!!!

Reactions: 25 users
AAMC Average: 35
Post-test expected score: NO idea
Actual Score: (PS/V/BS): 34 (11/11/12)
Comments: Really surprised with the distribution... honestly thought I killed PS and got killed by verbal and BS. Overall, I am happy and relieved! Done with this crap!!

FL AAMC Average: 29
Post-test expected score: 27-30
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 30
(11/09/10)
Comments: I'm so happy, I screamed. I'm so relieved! I studied for a long time and worked very hard, and even though some luck may have been involved, I'm so glad to be done! And what a great balance! I can now apply to my dream school. I actually semi-cried when I saw it. YAY!!!! :highfive: Congratulations to everyone who got their score! And, for those that didn't, use me as an example. I got a 23 (9/7/7) the first time around. I worked hard and hung in there and I am so happy to see the results! Don't give up!!!

I was a March 22 taker and have been rooting for you the whole time! Good job! Nice improvement!

FL AAMC Average: 32
Post-test expected score: 28-31
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 33 (11/10/12)
Comments: OMG! So happy! I was so nervous, and I was reading this thread addictively since taking the test. I got more and more worried as this day came closer, not really remembering anything from my test (like I blacked out or something). I'm definitely happy with my score and not having to retake. Hopefully this will be enough to get me in this time around (last applied during the 2012-2013 cycle). Improved on my MCAT (32 last score) and my EC's. I wish everyone applying for this cycle good luck and I hope we can all get in somewhere!

From my understanding some schools take the highest in each section from each MCAT. Which would be a 35 for you, which is really solid.

You sure know how to make someone feel better, haha. A cumulative 35 would be amazing...I'm just hoping at least some admissions committees see it that way. I've never scored above 11 on Physical on AAMC, wondering how that happened...

FL AAMC Average: 30
Post-test expected score: 26
Actual Score ( PS / V / BS): 30 (11/10/9)

Comments:
Future MCAT takers and/or score-waiters, do not be discouraged by your post-test feelings. It is very common and completely natural to feel as if you did terrible and think back on the test and ponder what you might have got incorrect. All the worrying, anxiety, and what-if's are only going to hurt you at that point.

My advice. Take a break from studying, even if you feel like you are going to have to retake. I'd say give yourself at least 2 weeks after you take the test. Exercise, watch some TV shows, work on applications, just do something. I realize all of this is easy to say in hindsight after getting the score that I shot for, but it is truly the best thing to do. Relax. It's out of your hands now.

As for test studying specifics, I'd recommend ExamKrackers. I took an online Kaplan course, and it was useful, but EK was much better for me. It got more to the point, and helped me get better at just being able to approach the test. EK was especially great for verbal. I'll preface all of this by saying I'm not MCAT expert. Many of you have higher scores than me. But I picked up on a few things during this journey, and here is some advice for each section:

Physical Sciences - Going into this section, a lot of you are probably going think it will be your worst (because a lot of us are Bio majors). But actually, it can be your best (it ended up being mine, and I felt awful about PS going in. It was my worst section initially). Focus on getting down all the equations and laws. A lot of times, if you know the formula for something, you can get the answer right.

Verbal - This section is arguably the toughest to improve. The key here is to do lots of passages and section tests. Reviewing what you got wrong on verbal is really tough, but its worth the effort. Don't just skim through what you got wrong. Take the time and effort to see why you got a question wrong. As for tackling the passages, don't get too caught up in the details. Focus on the main idea and what the author's opinion or point of view is. Also, pacing is absolutely crucial. Don't spend more than 8.5 minutes on any section. As soon as you spend 9 minutes on a section, best thing to do is make educated guesses and move on to the next one. The VR is designed so its hard to finish - you're most likely going to have to guess on some. Try and get those down to 50/5o shots.

Biological Sciences - The key here is to not get bogged down with all the details. There is so much information about the body systems, specifically. Just pick up on the key points. There are very few questions on the BS, from my experience, that will pin you down and ask you a super specific question. Most of the BS section is being able to comprehend the passage and using your intuition and logic to answer the questions.

Overall advice: Make a specific study schedule and stick to it. No exceptions. Not for anything except emergencies. It's so easy to lose the forest through the trees with this test. Don't get bogged down with all of the tiny details. Know the key concepts really, really well. At least, that's how I got the score I wanted. Granted, it's not a great score, so again, I'm not MCAT expert, but that's what worked for me.

Don't let this test defeat you. After all, it's only 1 test. I know it's a very important test. Believe me, I was having nightmares earlier this month. But all things considered, I made pretty good use of this month in waiting. I appreciate the advice and support of this board! SDN is a great resource. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. Thanks. Good luck to everyone else today!

Average: 36 (12 12 12)
Actual: 37 (14 ps 12 bio 11 vr)

Nothing amazing, but pretty good. Im satisfied. Hard to feel to happy about this after someone I know got a 43
I understand you bro. I was hoping for a glorious 37-39 but who cares our scores are good enough and the real goal is med school not outdoing peoples MCAT scores

Just wondering...how did you guys feel the actual MCAT compared to the AMMC CBTs? Im taking it in a few days and I'm getting the impression that they are shifting focus on the science sections so the practices aren't good ideas of what to actually expect come test day. Thoughts?

AAMC Average: 29
Post-test expected score: No Clue
Actual Score: (PS/V/BS): 33 (12/10/11)
Comments: I'm in complete shock actually. This was my retake (originally a 28) and I did not expect to score this well. I don't think it has actually soaked in yet.

Congrats to everyone on their scores!!!! You all worked so hard!!!
Now let's burn all our MCAT books for good!

Reactions: 5 users
Would it matter if on the last MCAT (my computer shut down twice during the exam and I had to leave the test site for 30 min during the verbal section lol) I scored an 8 on bio? Do most schools look at the highest score of each section among all the tests you taken?

No most I think look at the latest. Some average, few look at highest in each section. I think.