**** The Official LECOM Bradenton Class of 2017 Interview/Acceptance Thread ****

In-State or Out-of-State, New or Re-applicant

• In-state

Votes: 33 19.8%
  • Out-of-State

Votes: 112 67.1%
  • New Applicant

Votes: 68 40.7%
  • Re-applicant

Votes: 36 21.6%

• Total voters
Hi all,

I have an interview on 12/5. I hope to fly out after my interview and was wondering if there is some place to store my carry on at the school during the interview? (NYU let us use a coat closet)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I have an interview on 12/5. I hope to fly out after my interview and was wondering if there is some place to store my carry on at the school during the interview? (NYU let us use a coat closet)

Thanks!
Sugarland, congrats! When did your app go out and when did u get your confirmation email?

Hi all,

Thanks!

yes, they have a security desk where you sign in first thing in the morning and they will hold it

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

Thanks!

Sugarland, my interview is on 12/5 also... maybe we can meet up on 12/4 :). I will have a rental car, so I am gonna just put my carry on in the car.

Question. Does everyone that applies to LECOM get asked to do a supplemental application? And for those that have gotten interviews...how long after you completed the supplemental application was the interview invitation extended?

Thanks

Question. Does everyone that applies to LECOM get asked to do a supplemental application? And for those that have gotten interviews...how long after you completed the supplemental application was the interview invitation extended?

Thanks

it really depends how early you applied. I completed my supplemental on the same day that was given (7/13). got invite on 8/30

Weird, I'm second batch, and I just go the email from LECOM today stating that the adcom has process my supp application and now I can check the status of it... Looks like they will just start reviewing my application. -____-. I guess unless I have bomb stats, I get reviewed later on, like now, in the cycle.

LOL, me too! I had completely forgot about LECOM until they randomly sent me this email a few days ago. Had I known it was going to take this long to process my supplemental application, I wouldn't have spent money to apply there to begin with.

Weird, I'm second batch, and I just go the email from LECOM today stating that the adcom has process my supp application and now I can check the status of it... Looks like they will just start reviewing my application. -____-. I guess unless I have bomb stats, I get reviewed later on, like now, in the cycle.

LOL, me too! I had completely forgot about LECOM until they randomly sent me this email a few days ago. Had I known it was going to take this long to process my supplemental application, I wouldn't have spent money to apply there to begin with.

Hi all,

Thanks!

You can ask the security person to put it up for you when you sign in. Thats what I did.

During the interview, they said over 2500 apply and about 2200 complete the supplemental. I'm assuming everyone fills out the supplemental. They interview around 500 and accept 100

In my group interview,they asked about how we felt about PBL, why LECOM, how we felt about using Vitasource (the electronic textbook), and our shadowing experience. It was straight forward. I'm not too keen on PBL but that's my opinion.

Anyone else have an interview on Dec. 14?

Last edited:
I interviewed at LECOM around september...i never filled out a secondary app i dont think. Was it generic questions or short answer?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we need to prepare questions for the interviewers at the end of the group interview?

No you don't have to.. But if you genuinely have a question ask away :)
They are super nice an want to answer all questions

No you don't have to.. But if you genuinely have a question ask away :)
They are super nice an want to answer all questions

Thank you 15960. R they 100% ebook?

yea so the dental school doesn't look like an airport as compared to the medical school lmao. They have suitcases and crates to carry their books around and the dental students just smile while they carry the slim 3.5 lbs laptop with an entire library of 100ish books. Also, new development is that the PBL is no longer with the medical students.

Thank you 15960. R they 100% ebook?

They are but you have the option to buy the textbook if you feel like you need the hardback. the ebooks are already paid for in your tuition :)
so you have to pay if you want the hardback version

Email received today @8am EST: "The Admissions Committee has reviewed your file and a decision has not yet been made regarding an interview."

...(Just checked the portal and this is what it says): "Your file will be re-reviewed by the Admissions Committee in 60 days."

Soft rejection?

I got the same message. I met with a rep that came out to our school last week, and he said that it was good since they hadnt rejected us yet, but in all reality, there are waiting to see if anyone better applies :( Good Luck! Has anyone else had any experience in this situation?

Also, new development is that the PBL is no longer with the medical students.

when did that happen? it was still with the med students when i interviewed not too long ago...

...if it is true though, then d students wouldn't have to be business casual to pbl anymore :p

littlebuddy, really? i remember them saying that they're still doing the PBL with the med students for the first year and part of the second year i believe?

i remember that bc they even had "changing rooms" built in the dental school since the dental students had to dress in professional attire when in pbl sessions with med students.

yea this happened on the 12th I believe. They want to have casese more relevant to dentistry instead of a foot for example.

Regarding this group interview thing:

Make sure you walk in confident during your group interview. This is the only school that made me realize just how poor some applicants are, regardless of stats, are at interviewing. I'm not trying to be mean about it, but I had some people in my group that stuttered over the questions "Why PBL? What are the pros and cons you see with a PBL curriculum?"

It's sort of expect that you have a general idea of what they're going to ask and rehearse with some bullet points you want to hit when you present your answer about a minute or so each person. Some of the applicants were very eloquent and just blew the interviewers away. Others? Not so much. I think there's a fear factor involved in this - the applicants who went last were the ones who were afraid to be the first ones to answer, and when their turns inevitably came, I saw some profuse sweating and minutes of aimless rambling with filler words. It's really no laughing matter, but I felt really sorry for them.

In a way group interview can really help you to gauge yourself and see how you are in being precise, concise and eloquent in your answers. It can also break you, if you are easily affected by pressure. I also saw some students there with LECOM as their only interview. It's a good idea to not blow it if it's your only chance. Nobody cares if you're a introvert and just can't do public speaking. Your interview isn't a good time to be all shy. Hopefully this helps some folks out there. The questions I remember from the interview:

1) Tell us about yourself. A few things that'll make us remember who you are.

2) What types of volunteer experiences have you done that involved under served areas and how did you feel interacting with them?

3) Have you had experiences with PBL? If so, like what? We do PBL here and what are some of the pros and cons that you see with PBL?

4) Why do you want dentistry?

Reactions: 1 user
Regarding this group interview thing:

Make sure you walk in confident during your group interview. This is the only school that made me realize just how poor some applicants are, regardless of stats, are at interviewing. I'm not trying to be mean about it, but I had some people in my group that stuttered over the questions "Why PBL? What are the pros and cons you see with a PBL curriculum?"

It's sort of expect that you have a general idea of what they're going to ask and rehearse with some bullet points you want to hit when you present your answer about a minute or so each person. Some of the applicants were very eloquent and just blew the interviewers away. Others? Not so much. I think there's a fear factor involved in this - the applicants who went last were the ones who were afraid to be the first ones to answer, and when their turns inevitably came, I saw some profuse sweating and minutes of aimless rambling with filler words. It's really no laughing matter, but I felt really sorry for them.

In a way group interview can really help you to gauge yourself and see how you are in being precise, concise and eloquent in your answers. It can also break you, if you are easily affected by pressure. I also saw some students there with LECOM as their only interview. It's a good idea to not blow it if it's your only chance. Nobody cares if you're a introvert and just can't do public speaking. Your interview isn't a good time to be all shy. Hopefully this helps some folks out there. The questions I remember from the interview:

1) Tell us about yourself. A few things that'll make us remember who you are.

2) What types of volunteer experiences have you done that involved under served areas and how did you feel interacting with them?

3) Have you had experiences with PBL? If so, like what? We do PBL here and what are some of the pros and cons that you see with PBL?

4) Why do you want dentistry?

Nailed it. I know realize why i was never accepted with my interviews last year because I sounded like those in my group. I think everyone should have a group interview because it is a great way to gauge the interviewers reaction and your own reaction to some of the cookie cutter responses.

Last edited:
i liked LECOM..but im still a bit uneasy with the PBL system?

And i wonder if students will have a problem getting patients in the future?

Well according to them during the interview it is up to them or whoever is head of your pod to find and schedule your patients. Correct me if that is wrong but that will definitely relieve some stress from finding enough to fit the quota.

Well according to them during the interview it is up to them or whoever is head of your pod to find and schedule your patients. Correct me if that is wrong but that will definitely relieve some stress from finding enough to fit the quota.

If I remember correctly they don't have a quota you have to meet. You just have to pass the competency test, which is like part 2 of boards. I might be wrong but if I remember correctly that is what it is.

Partially true- The faculty is responsible for filling the chairs, but the students will have business cards to direct patients that they meet in public to their actual pod. So- you should have patients regardless, and in addition will be able to give treatment to specific patients.

This for me is the biggest issue about attending LECOM. They say they should have a good clinic with a lot of patients but there is no history or dental students to confirm this. I loved the school but when a lot of what they say is "theoretical" then I can't fully put my trust in it. I would certainly go there I'm just saying that no one really knows how good the patient population will be until they have 3rd year dental students.

Stephanie's email this morning made me... worried and excited... at the same time. haha

So it seems to be the trend that anyone who was interviewed last year and put on the wait list hasn't received an interview this year... is that generally correct? :(

I'm hoping with the end of the semester coming and new grades to hand over this will spark interest in my application again and hopefully I'll get a Post-Dec interview!

What do you guys in the same boat think about this? Hopefully we're still in it! :xf:

So it seems to be the trend that anyone who was interviewed last year and put on the wait list hasn't received an interview this year... is that generally correct? :(

I'm hoping with the end of the semester coming and new grades to hand over this will spark interest in my application again and hopefully I'll get a Post-Dec interview!

What do you guys in the same boat think about this? Hopefully we're still in it! :xf:

i was waitlisted and i interviewed this year...idk. they changed the admissions process up this year apparently. gl!

What did it say? I have an interview in January.

The email from Stephanie was describing the way acceptance emails would be sent out. if you are wait-listed then no email only a letter in the mail. Nothing for you to worry about since you have a post December interview. Just do well on the interview. Good luck and hope this helps.

I was wait-listed last year and was interviewed again this year. There is hope.... never give up on your dreams. All you can do is keep trying and one day persistence will prevail.

Keep your head up!!!!

The email from Stephanie was describing the way acceptance emails would be sent out. if you are wait-listed then no email only a letter in the mail. Nothing for you to worry about since you have a post December interview. Just do well on the interview. Good luck and hope this helps.

Thanks, good luck to you too :)

I didn't receive an interview :(. I have yet to hear of any updates from LECOM. Does anyone know if they are done with giving out interview invites? Or, when they are sending rejections for people who weren't even interviewed?

I didn't receive an interview :(. I have yet to hear of any updates from LECOM. Does anyone know if they are done with giving out interview invites? Or, when they are sending rejections for people who weren't even interviewed?

They will continue to send out interview invitations until their class is full, for many schools this process continues into spring

Last edited:
was put on hold by LECOM and it was shown (in LECOM portal... not AADSAS) that your application will be re-reviewed by the committee in 60 days
less than 60 days the status went back to the old status:

Your file is under review by the Admissions Committee. We will notify you as soon as a decision has been made.

for those who have a knowledge about LECOM process... what do you guys think?

I was wait-listed last year and was interviewed again this year. There is hope.... never give up on your dreams. All you can do is keep trying and one day persistence will prevail.

Keep your head up!!!!

Shucks, it seems like I'm one of the few that wasn't interviewed again :(
I did blow the interview... I was super nervous and I think I came off a little full of myself when one of the interviewers complemented me on my smile after hearing my story of why I want to be a dentist.

But thanks a lot, faceplantjae! I plan to do just that, I really hope they give me another shot to prove to them I'd be a fantastic dentist. And there's still hope since I have the 'reviewed in 60 days' status, they're waiting for my grades in my master's program. :)

Good luck everybody and hope you all hear good news Monday! :luck:

was put on hold by LECOM and it was shown (in LECOM portal... not AADSAS) that your application will be re-reviewed by the committee in 60 days
less than 60 days the status went back to the old status:

Your file is under review by the Admissions Committee. We will notify you as soon as a decision has been made.

for those who have a knowledge about LECOM process... what do you guys think?

I think they're doing just that... currently reviewing your application and then it'll be interview invite, put on hold again/review, or rejection. Hopefully an interview! :)

Shucks, it seems like I'm one of the few that wasn't interviewed again :(
I did blow the interview... I was super nervous and I think I came off a little full of myself when one of the interviewers complemented me on my smile after hearing my story of why I want to be a dentist.

But thanks a lot, faceplantjae! I plan to do just that, I really hope they give me another shot to prove to them I'd be a fantastic dentist. And there's still hope since I have the 'reviewed in 60 days' status, they're waiting for my grades in my master's program. :)

Good luck everybody and hope you all hear good news Monday! :luck:

Hey teeths, I hope it goes well for you. If there is anything I can do to help ya out, just let me know. I know what it is like to struggle with this whole process of waiting and being rejected, or even told that I would never get into dental school. I have applied for the last two cycles as a non traditional student with average stats. But, hopefully my persistence and aspirations will pay off tomorrow.