*** The Official LECOM Dental Class of 2018 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

Just declined my interview, hope one of you SDNers get that spot!

Members don't see this ad.

During my interview day I asked one of the D2's and they said they don't get white coats :S but mabe they meant not yet bc I know some schools get them after they complete boards part 1.

There will never be a white coat ceremony for any of the classes...the dean is totally against it

I'm an OOS student and have an interview on February 6th. If anyone is welling to spilt a room PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
There will never be a white coat ceremony for any of the classes...the dean is totally against it

Why is the dean against a white coat ceremony? We all know that coat will just hang up in your closet after the event, but hey, it's a nice occasion to bring out your family and celebrate your accomplishments! Why deny that lol?

Reactions: 3 users
just for that i will be declining my interview... i want my white coat, da**it!

Reactions: 1 user
I am so excited guys. I got an interview call for next thursday (1/23/2014). I am also nervous. I have so much stuff to do since i am out of state student. Does anyone know the cheapest way to travel there? I am from Michigan. I have to worry about flights, transportation, and expenses.

Why is the dean against a white coat ceremony? We all know that coat will just hang up in your closet after the event, but hey, it's a nice occasion to bring out your family and celebrate your accomplishments! Why deny that lol?
I was told he takes offense to anything that's white, even his skin color... because he's either color blinded or wanted to be black, I don't quiet remember.

I was told he takes offense to anything that's white, even his skin color... because he's either color blinded or wanted to be black, I don't quiet remember.

Haha... Don't know how to respond to this except laugh! sounds like he wouldn't like sterile lights

That's what the scrub ceremony was for, it was practically the same thing. Families were there, they called all of our names in order, we walked up, shook hands with the dean, he handed our scrubs wrapped in a nice lavender bow, and boom we were officially dental students! But really, once you start you won't care about coats and prestige.

anybody know when the first day of class at LECOM is?

No love for the Asian males at Texas schools!

Reactions: 1 users
They don't love us middle Eastern either!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone on here interviewing 1/30???

I have an interview here in a week.

Is the school really that bad?

What do you mean by 'that bad'?
Im preparing for the interview by reading the forums and surveys. People keep hinting that there is something off about the place that they didnt like. Some people even regretted spending money to go there for interview. Im just wondering what theyre talking about.

Im preparing for the interview by reading the forums and surveys. People keep hinting that there is something off about the place that they didnt like. Some people even regretted spending money to go there for interview. Im just wondering what theyre talking about.

The school itself is nice. The area is fantastic along with its amazing weather. However, I think most people are against the fact that the school use PBL. They are not fully accredited and have yet to graduate a class. They don't use cadaver for anatomy and no waxing.

The school itself is nice. The area is fantastic along with its amazing weather. However, I think most people are against the fact that the school use PBL. They are not fully accredited and have yet to graduate a class. They don't use cadaver for anatomy and no waxing.
What's PBL?

What's PBL?

Problem Based Learning.
No traditional lectures for basic sciences(biochem, microbio, histology, physiology ) and instead you are learning them through given cases by researching the answers outside of class. You'll have a lot more free time since meetings are only 3 times a week for a few hours.

At your interview at lecom, you won't be given any cases. However, when I interviewed at USC, we were given an actual case and worked as a team. I absolutely hated it and knew I would be miserable learning that way.

Problem Based Learning.
No traditional lectures for basic sciences(biochem, microbio, histology, physiology ) and instead you are learning them through given cases by researching the answers outside of class. You'll have a lot more free time since meetings are only 3 times a week for a few hours.

At your interview at lecom, you won't be given any cases. However, when I interviewed at USC, we were given an actual case and worked as a team. I absolutely hated it and knew I would be miserable learning that way.
So theyll give you a problem to take home and solve using the textbook that's assigned with the class? If its like that it doesnt sound so bad.

So theyll give you a problem to take home and solve using the textbook that's assigned with the class? If its like that it doesnt sound so bad.

Essentially yes. A case normally involves a patient who is suffering from some type of disease and you are encouraged to come up with diagnosis based on the symptoms the patient is experiencing. You have to research on your own and come up with possible explanations as to why this patient is having this problem. Then you will present your work in each meeting.

So they say through researching and solving these cases you are also 'learning' the basic sciences you need.

The 'classes' are these meetings

Essentially yes. A case normally involves a patient who is suffering from some type of disease and you are encouraged to come up with diagnosis based on the symptoms the patient is experiencing. You have to research on your own and come up with possible explanations as to why this patient is having this problem. Then you will present your work in each meeting.

So they say through researching and solving these cases you are also 'learning' the basic sciences you need.

I learn better reading the textbook alone than in sitting in a class. So this seems like it would be good for me. Though I see where youre coming from and why it can be awful if they spring this on you in the interview.

I learn better reading the textbook alone than in sitting in a class. So this seems like it would be good for me. Though I see where youre coming from and why it can be awful if they spring this on you in the interview.

Yes it definitely only works for some people. You might find it enjoyable and it might fit you perfectly.

I just wish lecom would give actual cases during the interview so students can get a 'feel' of what PBL is like.

That is the theory but here is how it really works. PBL groups are 10 students. We have a case each week, and meet 3 times a week for 2 hours each. We usually get assigned readings for the week after the first day, finish up the case the second day, and compile questions from the readings on Friday. Each student writes a question from each of the assigned chapters, then Friday we pick the 2 best for each chapter. All PBL groups then compile the selected questions, some of which are used by Dr. Ward to make the exam. We have an exam about every month, 3-4 cases/weeks worth of material.

Example, when we got back from break we were assigned two weeks worth of readings. The first case was about a lady with gallstones and pancreatitis and the second case about a guy with Hepatitis B. The readings were from biochem, pathology, physio, and microbial diseases covering the pancreas, liver, erythropoiesis, and lipid transport. 10 chapters total. We just received 4 more chapters for next week (sometimes we get the readings early) and that will be it for the first test.

I would describe the way it works at LECOM as self-study. Everything of importance is learned outside of class in the chapters you read by yourself. It's frustrating at times but we definitely have a lighter schedule than most dental schools. We are also seeing our denture patients now which makes it all worth it, because in the end everyone will pass the first part of the boards (using review books, dental decks, etc), it's the clinical experience that counts. Now let's just hope that works out, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

That is the theory but here is how it really works. PBL groups are 10 students. We have a case each week, and meet 3 times a week for 2 hours each. We usually get assigned readings for the week after the first day, finish up the case the second day, and compile questions from the readings on Friday. Each student writes a question from each of the assigned chapters, then Friday we pick the 2 best for each chapter. All PBL groups then compile the selected questions, some of which are used by Dr. Ward to make the exam. We have an exam about every month, 3-4 cases/weeks worth of material.

Example, when we got back from break we were assigned two weeks worth of readings. The first case was about a lady with gallstones and pancreatitis and the second case about a guy with Hepatitis B. The readings were from biochem, pathology, physio, and microbial diseases covering the pancreas, liver, erythropoiesis, and lipid transport. 10 chapters total. We just received 4 more chapters for next week (sometimes we get the readings early) and that will be it for the first test.

I would describe the way it works at LECOM as self-study. Everything of importance is learned outside of class in the chapters you read by yourself. It's frustrating at times but we definitely have a lighter schedule than most dental schools. We are also seeing our denture patients now which makes it all worth it, because in the end everyone will pass the first part of the boards (using review books, dental decks, etc), it's the clinical experience that counts. Now let's just hope that works out, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

The whole system sounds very intriguing to me. I have a buddy in med school who says that it is really effective, but very dependant on how much you put into it. Personally, I'm game!

For those interviewing....this is something I'm going to tell you:

This is a new school so of course there would be somethings that need to be worked out like PBL and clinical patients. I'm not going to tell you that everything is amazing here because there are a few problems. But this school is always changing and it has been getting better since I've attended here. Plus, no program in the nation is perfect. All will have it's pros and cons.

The reason why I chose LECOM was the early exposure to treating patients and because the professors here really do care about your success. The environment is not cut throat (probably because of no ranking...of course there will always be a few gunners. Be rest assured that that's not how the majority of how people are.) Everyone is helpful. I like how in our fourth year, we get to go into a completely new place for a year to practice so this is good for someone with an adventurous heart. The clinical experience is pretty good and the rotation sites they make you go to is really eye opening. Seeing dentistry in it's different aspects is pretty important. With the schedule we are given, you can have a balanced life of school and being social. To me this important, because I know some of my friends in other schools are in the library 24/7. Here, you can make your own schedule on when to study. So even if we have less breaks....technically there are many weeks we have 3 to 4 day weekends and a lot of half days. So that makes up for not having spring breaks or a one month summer break. I like that LECOM prepares you to be professional. We have to either dress business casual or wear scrubs. I like the option of wearing scrubs especially. I get lazy so I wear that nearly every day. Sucks for the medschool because they have to dress business casual at all times :p

Obvious cons would be if you want to specialize, it might be a bit tough in this school. It's not that no one will stop you from doing it (not even the dean...no matter what he says on your interview date), it's just that you may have to work harder to find a doctor to shadow and to fulfill requirements. Also if you want to do some research, there is nothing here for research. Traveling abroad for yearly mission trips is in the works but it is not guaranteed because of funding and some disagreements with the higher ups. PBL is both a pro and a con. A pro because I personally love self studying. A con because since they are still working on the curriculum, it has been very frustrating sometimes because of sudden changes in between tests and readings. Recently, for dentures, there has been a slight shortage because some patients we contacted last semester did not fulfill the requirements the school has given them to be a patient here. So even if we had enough patients, a lot of them didn't followup with certain procedures they had to do before they can get treated here. So their treatment will be delayed and who knows how long it will take them to be ready. Lastly, if you are not happy about how there are barely enough breaks, I don't know what to say because in the real world, this is how it is. No white coat ceremony..but honestly this never really bothered me...if you guys have hope that the school will change their mind, they won't. You do have a scrub ceremony which a scrub is honestly more useful than a white coat.

Realize that since there are still changes going on that you will have to deal with somethings that you might like or dislike. No matter what program you get into, you just have to adapt and make the best of it.

I don't regret choosing this school and I really do love it here.

I hope I can help someone make an informed decision :)

This is a new school so of course there would be somethings that need to be worked out like PBL and clinical patients. I'm not going to tell you that everything is amazing here because there are a few problems. But this school is always changing and it has been getting better since I've attended here. Plus, no program in the nation is perfect. All will have it's pros and cons.

The reason why I chose LECOM was the early exposure to treating patients and because the professors here really do care about your success. The environment is not cut throat (probably because of no ranking...of course there will always be a few gunners. Be rest assured that that's not how the majority of how people are.) Everyone is helpful. I like how in our fourth year, we get to go into a completely new place for a year to practice so this is good for someone with an adventurous heart. The clinical experience is pretty good and the rotation sites they make you go to is really eye opening. Seeing dentistry in it's different aspects is pretty important. With the schedule we are given, you can have a balanced life of school and being social. To me this important, because I know some of my friends in other schools are in the library 24/7. Here, you can make your own schedule on when to study. So even if we have less breaks....technically there are many weeks we have 3 to 4 day weekends and a lot of half days. So that makes up for not having spring breaks or a one month summer break. I like that LECOM prepares you to be professional. We have to either dress business casual or wear scrubs. I like the option of wearing scrubs especially. I get lazy so I wear that nearly every day. Sucks for the medschool because they have to dress business casual at all times :p

Obvious cons would be if you want to specialize, it might be a bit tough in this school. It's not that no one will stop you from doing it (not even the dean...no matter what he says on your interview date), it's just that you may have to work harder to find a doctor to shadow and to fulfill requirements. Also if you want to do some research, there is nothing here for research. Traveling abroad for yearly mission trips is in the works but it is not guaranteed because of funding and some disagreements with the higher ups. PBL is both a pro and a con. A pro because I personally love self studying. A con because since they are still working on the curriculum, it has been very frustrating sometimes because of sudden changes in between tests and readings. Recently, for dentures, there has been a slight shortage because some patients we contacted last semester did not fulfill the requirements the school has given them to be a patient here. So even if we had enough patients, a lot of them didn't followup with certain procedures they had to do before they can get treated here. So their treatment will be delayed and who knows how long it will take them to be ready. Lastly, if you are not happy about how there are barely enough breaks, I don't know what to say because in the real world, this is how it is. No white coat ceremony..but honestly this never really bothered me...if you guys have hope that the school will change their mind, they won't. You do have a scrub ceremony which a scrub is honestly more useful than a white coat.

Realize that since there are still changes going on that you will have to deal with somethings that you might like or dislike. No matter what program you get into, you just have to adapt and make the best of it.

Random question, but how expensive is it to live there?

Thanks for the info! Random question, when do students purchase their dental loupes? Is it through the same company which supplies our equipment?

Thanks!

Does anybody know when we have to submit the background check form and money by?

Do they interview you right away in the morning or do they give you the tour and talk about the school first and then interview you later on in the day?

Do they interview you right away in the morning or do they give you the tour and talk about the school first and then interview you later on in the day?

They give a little presentation about the school and PBL first and break you guys into groups. Then depending on your group, you might tour the school first or head straight for your interviews.

I was curious as to how graduation works. Does everybody return to Bradenton?

My flights been cancelled due to freak weather and now I have to call/email them to see if I can interview another day due to my unavoidable circumstances.

Hahaha I think this may be the Dental Gods' way of making sure I dont get accepted here because they know something bad will happen to me if I attend there for 4 years. That, or theyre just being giant a-holes and want me to go through the process of applying again to experience all the alternating moments of excruciating boredom and suspenseful anxiety.

My flights been cancelled due to freak weather and now I have to call/email them to see if I can interview another day due to my unavoidable circumstances.

Hahaha I think this may be the Dental Gods' way of making sure I dont get accepted here because they know something bad will happen to me if I attend there for 4 years. That, or theyre just being giant a-holes and want me to go through the process of applying again to experience all the alternating moments of excruciating boredom and suspenseful anxiety.

I think this time the Dental Gods are on your side, you should pray and sacrifice a chicken for them

I think this time the Dental Gods are on your side, you should pray and sacrifice a chicken for them
Ive been praying to them for almost a year straight and I just dont know how many more chickens I can sacrifice!

But seriously this really sucks.

Edit: what makes you think they were on my side?

Last edited:
Ive been praying to them for almost a year straight and I just dont know how many more chickens I can sacrifice!

Well.. in all honesty, LECOM is my last choice and is to many others. Though there might be lots of issues, my #1 is that it will be extremely difficult to specialize.

Disclaimer: I've been REJECTED by lecom so my opinion might be biased

I was one of the biggest supporters of lecom until I went to the interview, after that I left and I said I will never comeback to this place ever. And here are the reasons:

1. Location, the area (Bradenton,FL) is very undeveloped, which means fewer patients, and the lack of activities to do.

2. PBL, I think pbl is a great thing but the way they are implementing it is very questionable.

3. The Faculty, which I did not meet at the interview.

4. The price tag, which is very overpriced compared to the service they are providing. (and I'm going to an expensive school, but it is worth it)

5. The Dean, I do not agree with his approach or views, he thinks everyone is wrong and he is the Messiah of Dentistry.

6. The interview process, it was the very uncomfortable you get their at 7:45am the earliest between all schools, then you get into a 2 hour lecture of how they do not give lectures. And the cherry on top was the interview itself where you have 6 students meeting 2 faculty member for 30 minutes. and above all that the lunch was terrible.

7. Unhappy students, the girl who was in charge of the tour said "I CAN'T WAIT TO GET OUT OF THIS PLACE" and she was only a D2, same response from other students but they were more subtle about it.

8. The Facilities, while they do have very nice and new equipment, the building felt so depressive, the emptiness and bland colors made me feel like I'm in an insane asylum.

9. Rude staff, while I was applying the did not process my application and I had to call them to do so, then after the processing they sent me a long list of requirements that I've already done all but the did not bother to check the application, and at the interview the young lady who was in charge of the interview (forgot her name) asked as if we have any questions so I asked as if we have any questions so asked if they do take the HSPS, she answred with some serious attitude and said "Huh... yeah, if you care about money!!!" (bitch please I'm paying you $ 360,000 of course I care about my debt)

10. 4th year, I did not like that half of the class have move to an even more terrible place to do year 4.

I apologize from you LECOM students, but as you see these are just personal opinions, and I'm that guy who just doesn't know how to shut the F up.

Reactions: 3 users
Random question, but how expensive is it to live there?

well it depends what state you're from because it could be cheaper than living in the north....however if you are from texas...it is pricier than there so be ready

but honestly....LECOM gives you enough of money to live comfortably. i can easily live off half of what they give me and i live alone.
just as long as you budget and you live like a student you should be fine

Thanks for the info! Random question, when do students purchase their dental loupes? Is it through the same company which supplies our equipment?

Thanks!

It doesn't hurt to start looking into them early...but save your money and buy it around the middle of second year because by then you would know your own working distance and you can gauge what magnification you want. Most start with 2.5 - 3 ...
Don't get it any higher than that because you want to focus in an area...but not too much that you'll ignore the surroundings of the tooth you are operating on.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it now....you're working on dentures first year so there would be no need for loupes since everything is normal sized and not tiny like filling a tooth.

Hope this helps!

Huh? LECOM gives YOU money?

lol financial aid loans....not trying to mislead in anyway haha
there are scholarships offered here...but there's not many
try looking into HSPS or NHSC :)

Last edited:
lol financial aid....not trying to mislead in anyway haha
there scholarships offered here...but there's not many

Haha thanks for clearing that up. I was thinking that it would come from either financial aid or scholarships.