*** The Official LECOM Dental Class of 2019 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

Hi everyone,
I was wondering what time do you recommend to arrive at the school if the scheduled interview is for 9?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
I was wondering what time do you recommend to arrive at the school if the scheduled interview is for 9?
I would say 7:45 am-8ish is your best bet! I got there at 7:45 am on the dot and there were already other interviewees there. It gives you time to get to know each other and relax a little before the day starts. Also, they have drinks and granola bars :)

Hi everyone,

I got there at 8:45 am, they were like "wow, perfect timing!" They started the day as soon as I sat down.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I got there around 8:40 and there were about 8 others that were there before me. That was plenty of time to get to know other people and chit chat.

Reactions: 1 user
What was everyone's impression with the school? I'm weighing the pros and cons

I thought the school was very nice, especially their clinic. The number of clinic hours they say you'll get is ridiculous. Also loved that the students start hands-on projects 6 months into D1. I'm not looking to specialize so pass/fall is nice. Also it seems to be one of the cheapest private schools. Bradenton area is really nice and it's only 45min from Tampa. I would say the only con for me is moving away for D4 but it's not much of a con since you'll be somewhat in charge of your own underserved clinic.

Reactions: 1 users
Besides moving, we're there any other negatives? I'll be interviewing soon and am researching the school

Besides moving, we're there any other negatives? I'll be interviewing soon and am researching the school

Only other thing I can think of is not as much time off as other schools. Pretty much 4 weeks off a year and everyday is just about 7a-5p. That's how you get so many clinic hours.

What was everyone's impression with the school? I'm weighing the pros and cons
Just interviewed today.
Pros:
Clinic is beautiful. D3s get their own chair (virtually their own office). They claim you will get so many clinic hours that D4 year is essentially a 5th year (GPR/AEGD). Building is immaculate (better be, it's only 2 years old!) Bradenton is pretty nice. Significantly cheaper than other private schools (tuition is $48,480).

Cons:
Brand new so they're still working a few kinks out. Have to move to DeFuniak Springs, FL or Erie, PA your D4 year.

Overall I was impressed with the school. I liked a lot more than I thought I would. Would be pleased to go to school here.

Also, I understand their PBL a bit better. I think I would like it, though I get why others may not like it. Students seemed happy with their decision.

Also, I understand their PBL a bit better. I think I would like it, though I get why others may not like it. Students seemed happy with their decision.

The students that participated in our interview and tour really seemed to love it there. One turned down an in-state school to attend LECOM. I think I would love it there. The cost (not that high compared to other private schools) wouldn't be that bad since my fiance would be able to pay for living expenses.

Got an interview for LECOM in a couple days. Can someone shed some insight on their interview? Thanks!

Got an interview for LECOM in a couple days. Can someone shed some insight on their interview? Thanks!
Group interview. 6 candidates and 2 adcom. They ask normal questions and are super friendly. They really just want to get to know you.

Members don't see this ad :)
My LECOM portal still shows "No folder items which meet the requirements have been received." in the required letters and credits folder. My app was mailed to them on 9/26/2014 (which I know is very late). Does anyone else still have that message under their required letters and credits section? Thanks!

I had a lot of reservations about this school before my interview but after interviewing and meeting the students at LECOM, this turned out into a really great experience. Let me address some of the reservations I had and how they were answered at the interview.

1. The dreaded PBL system: Doesn't seem that bad at all. You are assigned readings from the textbook every week, then you are in a group of 6 people with one facilitator and you guys meet up 3 times a week to brainstorm solutions on the case study questions the facilitator gives you. The facilitator has a Masters in Edu. and is only there as a guide. You still have lecture classes BTW so it's not a full PBL system. Dr. Ward, the director of the PBL program seems very nice and genuine. He emphasizes that that the exam questions are designed to mimic NDBE 1 questions and the first class of students that took their board had a 97% pass rate. I'm not going to lie, I think that there is going to be a learning curve if you've never been exposed to PBL before but the general consensus from the students has been positive.

2. Clinic: The clinic was state of the art and gorgeous. There are 10 "offices" each with 10 operatories so that means each 3rd year student is guaranteed their own chair. It is set up just like a private practice so you can get exposure to that once you go out into the real world. The part I didn't like is how you have to move to either DeFuniak Springs, FL or Erie, PA your 4th year. For your 4th year you'll either get the morning shift 7AM-1PM or afternoon (1PM-7PM). They claim students will rack up 1600 clinical hours their 3rd year and 1800 hours their 4th year which is amazing but then again that's their claim and their first graduating class is still in their first semester of D3. D1s get to create full dentures for the homeless community which is neat since you are thrown in clinicals really early.

3. Specializing & Research: This is not a research school by any stretch of the imagination lol. There are also no specialty residents. The vibe I got is that they are really focusing on creating General Practitioners so if you know for a fact 100% that you want to specialize this might not be the place for you. Also grading is pass/fail, you must get a minimum of 75% to earn a passing mark. Again, probably not the best place for someone who wants to specialize.

4. Student Life: All the students seemed chill and happy, one girl even turned down Temple and NYU for LECOM. I probably asked almost every single D1 I saw how they felt about the PBL system and majority said it was fine. As you can see I was also very worried about PBL. Theres a beach within an arm's reach and the campus itself is very pleasing to the eyes.

All in all, don't knock a school off just because of negative things said on this site. I almost let that happen but I'm really glad I went and saw for myself how the school was.

Reactions: 3 users
I was also super impressed with the school. My only reservation is having to move my D4 year. With wife and kids in tow, a 1-year move is a super pain in ass.

I had a lot of reservations about this school before my interview but after interviewing and meeting the students at LECOM, this turned out into a really great experience. Let me address some of the reservations I had and how they were answered at the interview.

1. The dreaded PBL system: Doesn't seem that bad at all. You are assigned readings from the textbook every week, then you are in a group of 6 people with one facilitator and you guys meet up 3 times a week to brainstorm solutions on the case study questions the facilitator gives you. The facilitator has a Masters in Edu. and is only there as a guide. You still have lecture classes BTW so it's not a full PBL system. Dr. Ward, the director of the PBL program seems very nice and genuine. He emphasizes that that the exam questions are designed to mimic NDBE 1 questions and the first class of students that took their board had a 97% pass rate. I'm not going to lie, I think that there is going to be a learning curve if you've never been exposed to PBL before but the general consensus from the students has been positive.

2. Clinic: The clinic was state of the art and gorgeous. There are 10 "offices" each with 10 operatories so that means each 3rd year student is guaranteed their own chair. It is set up just like a private practice so you can get exposure to that once you go out into the real world. The part I didn't like is how you have to move to either DeFuniak Springs, FL or Erie, PA your 4th year. For your 4th year you'll either get the morning shift 7AM-1PM or afternoon (1PM-7PM). They claim students will rack up 1600 clinical hours their 3rd year and 1800 hours their 4th year which is amazing but then again that's their claim and their first graduating class is still in their first semester of D3. D1s get to create full dentures for the homeless community which is neat since you are thrown in clinicals really early.

3. Specializing & Research: This is not a research school by any stretch of the imagination lol. There are also no specialty residents. The vibe I got is that they are really focusing on creating General Practitioners so if you know for a fact 100% that you want to specialize this might not be the place for you. Also grading is pass/fail, you must get a minimum of 75% to earn a passing mark. Again, probably not the best place for someone who wants to specialize.

4. Student Life: All the students seemed chill and happy, one girl even turned down Temple and NYU for LECOM. I probably asked almost every single D1 I saw how they felt about the PBL system and majority said it was fine. As you can see I was also very worried about PBL. Theres a beach within an arm's reach and the campus itself is very pleasing to the eyes.

All in all, don't knock a school off just because of negative things said on this site. I almost let that happen but I'm really glad I went and saw for myself how the school was.

Thank you so much for your post! I'm interviewing tomorrow and can relate to the reservations you previously had. Before reading this, I had already decided that I'm going to completely disregard the negative until I see the school for myself because I want to give it a fair chance. LECOM looks like it has a good system for being such a new school (based on what I read), and I'm really excited to interview there :)

So, those who interviewed at LECOM; it is not on your AADSAS portal status yet right guys?

So, those who interviewed at LECOM; it is not on your AADSAS portal status yet right guys?
LECOM doesn't use AADSAS - they use their own portal. Checking it now, it appears to have gone back to the same it was before I was invited for interview.

LECOM doesn't use AADSAS - they use their own portal. Checking it now, it appears to have gone back to the same it was before I was invited for interview.
According to last year's thread, people were saying it appeared on AADSAS around this time, so I was wondering whether LECOM is doing the same thing this year.

Eight more days folks!!

Reactions: 1 users
I just found out about the letter of intent in one of the above posts. As far as I know it was never mentioned in my interview. I am so confused because I know it's too late to write one at this point.

I wonder if it really makes a difference. Also for those of you who sent one, who did you address it to?

I wonder if writing a letter of intent will make a difference if you end up being wait listed on Dec 1st.

I have a feeling that they mentioned the letter of intent at the later interviews, let's say november interviews, cause they probably have most of the spots filled already from the earlier interviews! But that's just my guess.

I have a feeling that they mentioned the letter of intent at the later interviews, let's say november interviews, cause they probably have most of the spots filled already from the earlier interviews! But that's just my guess.

I recently interviewed, and it they said it was one of the last interviews that they would be considering for the December 1st decision. At the very end we were told to write a letter of intent if LECOM is our #1, I believe its because they truly want students that are interested in their program, and not attend as a backup. They said multiple times throughout the day that PBL may not be for some people and LECOM may not be the best place for people that want to specialize, so students need to be honest with themselves if they decide to choose to attend LECOM. For those reasons, I think they are trying to focus on people who will be successful with their PBL and only want to do general dentistry. Plus, they probably know that they've interviewed people that have interviewed at other places this late in the game, so they don't want to use an acceptance on them come Dec 1 if those people are interested in attending other schools But this is just my opinion! Good luck everyone, 1 week to go

Nope. I interviewed early September and it was mentioned.

Did anyone else get an email a few minutes ago asking for updated grades? Is this a soft waitlist notification, pending academic update? Do they send this to everyone? My classes aren't over this semester - exam week is 2nd week of December.

Definitely did not get that email. I'm taking biochemistry this semester, which is required by LECOM, and another grad-level bio. Sooooo would not getting an email asking for updated grades be a sign of rejection come Dec 1? My finals are December 16 and 17 so grades won't be updated for a while :/

I'm not sure. I called immediately and was told that the adcom wanted to know what my grades were from the 2nd half of the summer. They were curious about biochem as well, but I don't have a grade for that because I'm not taking it until the spring.

Did anyone else get an email a few minutes ago asking for updated grades? Is this a soft waitlist notification, pending academic update? Do they send this to everyone? My classes aren't over this semester - exam week is 2nd week of December.
Did you interview at Lecom?? because I did not receive such email either

Did you interview at Lecom?? because I did not receive such email either
I interviewed back on 11/13. I was not trying to worry all of you! I was concerned for my own self that I was getting waitlisted until after the academic update. I think all of you are probably fine.

Yeah, it would've been hard to miss because it was on the last slide of the final part. I believe the same slide that says to update about completed courses after applying

I interviewed in the end of August. I feel like I couldn't have missed something as big as that. Oh well, they've probably already made their decision.

Hopefully it works out for the best !

I interviewed in early October and they brought up the letter of intent. I believe you are supposed to e-mail it to the same e-mail that sent the invitation because Lisa is in charge of that one and attaching that letter to your application. Also, haven't gotten an e mail regarding updated grades and I graduate in December.

I just found out about the letter of intent in one of the above posts. As far as I know it was never mentioned in my interview. I am so confused because I know it's too late to write one at this point.

During my interview session, the lady mentioned that letter of intent is recommended when you get waitlisted (and as far as I remember, the 'letter of intent' topic was on the powerpoint slide about Wait list or After Dec 1). And one interviewee asked whether he could send it before Dec. 1 and the lady added "Oh, actually you CAN and I will put it in your file." That being said, I don't believe the letter of intent makes a huge difference (or rather it has the power to get you accepted unless you are waitlisted). It's just another letter that adds to your file, and I am pretty sure the admissions committee makes their decisions on the day of the interview. And, let's face it, who wouldn't be dying to go to LECOM if s/he already spent hundreds of dollars already just for the interview? I hope and believe that the committee knows that if you went to the interview, you are interested and want to go to LECOM.

Reactions: 2 users

I did not get that email either, but I am currently taking some classes this semester and wrote an email to LECOM few days ago to update any coursework in progress. And the lady responded that she would put that information to my file.. And, you know we are all sensitive to everything during this time of the year, and does that mean I am currently not accepted since that information can be still added to my file? or am I just overanalyzing it? haha

I did not get that email either, but I am currently taking some classes this semester and wrote an email to LECOM few days ago to update any coursework in progress. And the lady responded that she would put that information to my file.. And, you know we are all sensitive to everything during this time of the year, and does that mean I am currently not accepted since that information can be still added to my file? or am I just overanalyzing it? haha
Yeah. There's a high probability that I'm overanalyzing.

LECOM showed up in my AADSAS portal today. It says "Check back on 12/1." Interviewed 10/16

Appeared on mine as well. Interviewed 11/20.

"Check back on Dec. 1st..." Appeared on AADSAS for me as well. Interviewed 11/13

Check Back on Dec 1st- Interviewed 11/06.
I didn't write a letter of intent so this could be a rejection.