*** The Official LECOM Dental Class of 2019 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

Is anyone trying to make a decision between LECOM and another school this month? I was recently accepted to both LECOM and ASDOH, and I don't believe it will be an easy decision for me. I am a Florida resident, and I loved both schools, and I love that both provide their students extensive clinical experience. I feel like I may be leaning towards ASDOH because it is older and more established (also loved the faculty and how personalized their interview experience was), but I also like the idea of staying in Florida close to family and friends. While I understand the significance of their group interview, it didn't feel as personal, and I didn't feel like I truly got to know the faculty and vice versa. I think that is part of the reason I am struggling with this decision.

I have definitely heard students are happy and less stressed at both schools. But if any LECOM students are on this thread, could you please offer honest advice on what you might do with this situation?

Or other students facing a decision--why are you choosing LECOM?

I have experience with problem based learning, and while I think it is useful, I worry if LECOM does it too much? Will I miss lecture learning? Do you learn everything on your own? Do you find that the faculty are approachable and available to you?

I'm not a LECOM student, but here's what I gathered from my interview:
1. My student ambassador went to my undergrad, and was pretty straight forward with all of the questions. He emphasized multiple times that he feels that faculty are very approachable and willing to help with questions. He also mentioned that sometimes they stay late to help (but not sure how often this is).

2. PBL is only for basic science, lecture learning is still implemented for the dental courses. Gross anatomy does NOT have cadavers and is a self study course.

3. I don't know the curriculum of ASDOH (I didn't apply there) but I do know LECOM is based for general dentists, if you want to specialize then LECOM is probably not for you.

Bottom line (for me at least), is don't decide on a school that you won't be happy at. I'm also a Florida resident, and I wouldn't stay instate if there was an out of state school that I preferred. You'll be at DENTAL SCHOOL, which means A LOT OF STUDYING!! So the time that you will spend with your friends & family might not be as much as you would like, even if you ARE still in-state (but again, I don't know this 100%). Also remember in the 4th year at LECOM you have to move to Defuniak springs or Erie.

Good luck + Congrats!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Did any alternate already email LECOM about their spot on the alternate list or are you waiting on the letter?

Reactions: 1 user
Did any alternate already email LECOM about their spot on the alternate list or are you waiting on the letter?

I haven't gotten an email, I'm thinking we have to wait on the letter in the mail.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes! I e mailed them the moment I saw my wait list status on aadsas and just got the e mail back today saying she added me to the list and that it's not done by ranking but the committee will keep re reviewing the wait list people each month.

My aadsas still hasn't been updated! Man im getting anxious over here...

What was the email address that you used?
it's given in info section on AADSAS next to waitlisted status for lecom. i think it was the dentalfl one

No mine does not show it yet! Ugh !

Just got off the phone with them.....rejected. Sucks. Good luck to all the waitlisters.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to here that @StumpMT. Don't give up! :thumbup:

I haven't given up yet. There are still 16 schools that I have yet to hear from so I'm not counting myself out yet.

received an offer to interview a few days ago but i declined. Hopefully this opens another spot for someone else to interview. good luck to all of you

Interviewed & rejected via mail

Last edited:
Cancelled my interview for next week! Good luck to whoever gets it!!!

I declined my offer. Best of Luck for those awaiting that call!

I didn't, but she said just put admissions committee

Declined my admissions offer. Fingers crossed for an SDNer!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi !
I have an interview January 8th and am so excited! Good luck to everyone :)

Got my acceptance today! Good luck to everyone else who applied in the second (and first) wave!!

Got my acceptance today! Good luck to everyone else who applied in the second (and first) wave!!

Hey congrats! How did you find out? I was wait listed and told second round was Jan 5th

Hey congrats! How did you find out? I was wait listed and told second round was Jan 5th

They just emailed me this morning and said that my official acceptance letter is in the mail. I was really hoping for a phone call. Hahaha. Check your email!

Last edited:
Was accepted this morning as well. No phone call

I was wait listed and told second round was coming out Jan 4th..which made no sense to me because it is a Sunday lol fingers crossed for more coming these next few days

Same here Nixon I just figured they meant the Monday.. I haven't uncrossed my fingers since June lol

Same here Nixon I just figured they meant the Monday.. I haven't uncrossed my fingers since June lol

Haha me too. I looked at last years thred and they sent out the January batch the Friday after New Years which was on the 3rd... So I guess I'm not surprised to hear that people were getting acceptances yesterday

Hi All,

first time here @ SDN. For those of you that went to the interview, any tips of preparation guides you can recommend? I am going on the 15th and I am really nervous so any tips, guides, techniques would be wonderful.

congrats to all you future dentists that got in!

Hi All,

first time here @ SDN. For those of you that went to the interview, any tips of preparation guides you can recommend? I am going on the 15th and I am really nervous so any tips, guides, techniques would be wonderful.

congrats to all you future dentists that got in!

Don't be nervous, there's your first tip. That's easier said than done-- you know yourself better than I do, but I find that exercise and some controlled breathing help me to be less anxious in any setting.

The group interview was WAY more laid back than it was hyped up to be, IMO. You'll get a list of who you're going in with at the beginning of the day--get on a first name basis and do some chatting with your future co-interviewees if you get an extra moment by the water fountain. Don't be awkward about it, just crack jokes about making each other look good and not letting you talk the whole time. It will pay off to have an ally (even one you've known for twenty minutes) when you hit the conference room for the group interview.

Finally, if you struggle with giving succinct answers to the most common interview questions, practice that with a close friend or family. Pick somebody who isn't afraid to yell "boring!" at you or tell you that you're rambling. Say a lot in a few words, and get good at listening to the responses of others. My impression was that you want to tie your answer into the conversation. Listen to other students. Don't be afraid to answer first or last. When you answer first, be confident and open-minded. When you answer last, talk about what you liked of the others' responses. This school is built on student discussion--prove that you're capable of that, and that you'd be a valuable asset to the team.

This is all just the conjecture of a guy who just got in (I interviewed on Dec 18th). Grain of salt, etc. etc. Go get em, tiger, and I'll see you next summer!

Please shoot me a message on here or at my SDN name [(at) gmail (dot) com if you're looking for a D1 roommate starting in 2015! I'm trying to find an affordable, fun living situation.

Accepted!!! Found out via email at 11am :) congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far and for those of you that are still waiting, don't give up hope!!! Can't wait to see everyone in July :)

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats !
Any portal status changes for those of you who have received recent acceptance?!

Congrats !
Any portal status changes for those of you who have received recent acceptance?!

Yes, LECOM portal changed to committee has reached a decision.. You will be notified within 30 days. AADSAS portal changed to offer made. Both of these changes occurred after email of acceptance.

Yes, LECOM portal changed to committee has reached a decision.. You will be notified within 30 days. AADSAS portal changed to offer made. Both of these changes occurred after email of acceptance.

Congrats Nixon!! Glad one of us slid off the limbo list

I did, I think the day after... So disappointing, but not giving up hope until July lol

Okay that's good... Maybe send them an email of academic update info and whatever you're doing now like volunteering, working, taking more classes, etc. and maybe emphasize that you are very interested. That's exactly what I was going to do but luckily got an email before I got the chance. Fingers crossed for Feb for you if not sooner!!

Four weeks to my interview. I am so pumped for this school, I have heard such awesome things about it!!

Don't be nervous, there's your first tip. That's easier said than done-- you know yourself better than I do, but I find that exercise and some controlled breathing help me to be less anxious in any setting.

The group interview was WAY more laid back than it was hyped up to be, IMO. You'll get a list of who you're going in with at the beginning of the day--get on a first name basis and do some chatting with your future co-interviewees if you get an extra moment by the water fountain. Don't be awkward about it, just crack jokes about making each other look good and not letting you talk the whole time. It will pay off to have an ally (even one you've known for twenty minutes) when you hit the conference room for the group interview.

Finally, if you struggle with giving succinct answers to the most common interview questions, practice that with a close friend or family. Pick somebody who isn't afraid to yell "boring!" at you or tell you that you're rambling. Say a lot in a few words, and get good at listening to the responses of others. My impression was that you want to tie your answer into the conversation. Listen to other students. Don't be afraid to answer first or last. When you answer first, be confident and open-minded. When you answer last, talk about what you liked of the others' responses. This school is built on student discussion--prove that you're capable of that, and that you'd be a valuable asset to the team.

This is all just the conjecture of a guy who just got in (I interviewed on Dec 18th). Grain of salt, etc. etc. Go get em, tiger, and I'll see you next summer!

Thanks!!!!

my friend and I will be withdrawing our interview spots that were in late Jan/early Feb.

Just withdrew from late January interview. Hopefully it goes to one of you deserving souls.