The Official March 22, 2014 MCAT Thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am registered for this date as well!
I'll be using BR for content review, PR and EK for extra practice.

Thanks for the video beachblondie. It provided some much needed motivation. :)

Signed up! Now it is real 0_0. Praying for lots of orgo, physics 1 material, lots of anatomy/ physio (not so much genetics :p ) and that the verbal reasoning passages are doable. Hi everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Last couple of nights I've been constantly having dreams where I'm arguing about different physics concepts with my friends. Stuff like Newtons laws and dynamics. It's definitely going to be an interesting ride until March 22

I'm signed up for this date as well. I decided to cave in and get the TPR online class. Working full time and trying to study by myself wasn't working to well.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm also registered on this date! It will be a re-take for me. I hope to start studying sometime this week.

What are you going to do different this time around and what prep materials are you going to use?
I voided my Sept exam, and I will start studying Nov 3 for March 22nd, but I am trying to see which materials I should use this time around

Anybody else taking classes next semester while studying for it? Still have orgo 2 and calc to take while studying!

Hi guys. I have also signed up and have begun physics revision today...eeeekkk....going through nova physics book. So far so good, really impressed with how good the questions are. I'm non trad and have a lot to catch up on but hopefully it will work itself out. It's taken me longer than I expected to finish this chapter. But as its day one I'm still smiling, no crying....yet.

hey guys I dont know if this is the right place to post this sort of question but i need to know
I plan on taking the re-taking the MCAT because i got a 22 the first time....I took kaplan the first time and I think i've exhausted all the AAMC Full length exams....where could i possibly obtain more practice material?
I currently have princeton review books for bio, o-chem, physics, and gen chem
please help

Thanks and good luck on yalls studying!

Anybody else taking classes next semester while studying for it? Still have orgo 2 and calc to take while studying!

Still debating whether or not to take Genetics Spring 2013. My GPA isn't so pretty, so my MCAT needs to be my main focus. I've tried to study for it this semester while taking Biochem and I laugh now thinking I could do all 3 while working 40+ hours/week. I've heard even a job is too much to add while studying for it, so...*$&@%! Most likely going to begin the serious studying mid-December after finals. Good luck to us!

I am ! Hopefully, I made the right decision because I am taking 20 credits while studying for the MCAT. But 4 of those credits are research. I am slowly studying now, doing content review. Going to study 8/hrs a day during winter break. And practice questions all the way leading to the Exam. GOODLUCK to everyone.

So yesterday I slipped up and didn't do any nova physics, -*bad reasoning75*- face in palm. However the catch up begins as that means I now have to get through 2 chapters today. As yesterday was a Saturday I realise that I need more self discipline on the weekends. The quicker I can get through all of the nova physics the quicker I can start berekely review.

Members don't see this ad :)
What review books is everybody using? Going to buy mine this week, so far just have Examkrackers 1001 series

What review books is everybody using? Going to buy mine this week, so far just have Examkrackers 1001 series
I am just using Examkrackers content review books so far. I also have the kaplan books but since they are more detailed I am leaving them for the winter break since I won't have any classes at that time. I also have the 1001 series but I will start those after I do all the content review leading up to the exam.

Not going to take the exam till the 21st of June, but I wish you the best of luck. Godspeed to all of you.

Hello guys,
It will be my second time taking MCAT! I got 28 12/6/10 first time and i took TBR. This time im going with SN2ed schedule! I am always lagging behind! I would appreciate any further advice for MCAT studying schedule and improving my verbal score!
BTW i am taking it in san jose, ca!
Good luck everyone!

WOw great MCAT score. But I don't think there is a way to improve your verbal score besides a lot of practice passages. GOODLUCK

WOw great MCAT score. But I don't think there is a way to improve your verbal score besides a lot of practice passages. GOODLUCK
Thanks i hope i do better this time! Yeah i m trying to read a lot to improve that part....

Hi everyone!!! I am a sophomore preparing to take the MCAT March 22, 2014. I am using the Exam Krackers content review and several MCAT study sites. I am also taking 17 credit hours next semester among other things. If anyone has any study advice or advice on a study schedule, I would be very grateful. Good luck, everyone!

Have you taken all of the pre reqs? That is my first question
Hi everyone!!! I am a sophomore preparing to take the MCAT March 22, 2014. I am using the Exam Krackers content review and several MCAT study sites. I am also taking 17 credit hours next semester among other things. If anyone has any study advice or advice on a study schedule, I would be very grateful. Good luck, everyone!

This is my tentative date. I haven't officially signed up yet, though.
I am already feeling discouraged, I am so bad with physics.

I guess me and you are on the same boat. I am like really really bad at physics. Even the basics. I find it boring maybe thats why but I just can grasp a lot of it. But none the less I just plan on practicing and taking it. Hoping basic physics shows up rather than physics 2.

I was so much better with physics II. I don't get it.

I am struggling with kinematics (TBR physics Ch1). I feel rushed to memorize all them stupid equations and under the time constraints, I blank.
Hopefully doing a million kinematic problems will help with my memory, we'll see.

I am dreading, DREADING Newton. I don't know why forces and stuff are so over my head, but they are.

Im registered for this date! Im using TPRH.
I tried BR this summer and hated it! I got so far behind because I was driven mad with how dense the material was. And they'd chime in about a topic and not explain it fully until later on.

Im having a lot of trouble forcing myself to study. I am 4 year out of undergraduate. In college I would study only at night and procrastinate like a pro. Now that Im trying to study months in advance my body just wont concentrate.

Any tips for keeping on track?

Have you taken all of the pre reqs? That is my first question
I have taken bio I, gen chemI & II, orgo I, and physics I. I will be taking part II of bio, orgo, and physics next semester. I haven't completed registration yet, so I may change my date to May 17, which was the original date I had set.

I guess I can't help. But if it helps youre not the only one out there. I am still in undergrad taking a full load. I get home around 6 most days but i cant get my self to study until 12 then i sleep at 3 most days sometimes at 4 and then wake up at 8:30. But atleast I get studying done. I guess I work better under time constraints.

But for suggestion I recommend just maybe try studying in the library. Because when you are at home you can easily get distracted, tv, family, COMPUTER, etc. At the library you cant do any of those things. Well phones are a big distraction now days so possible turn your phone off. What I do is I turn on this special feature on my phone that only lets calls come in from people that i choose (ex family). So i think give the library a shot.

I have taken bio I, gen chemI & II, orgo I, and physics I. I will be taking part II of bio, orgo, and physics next semester. I haven't completed registration yet, so I may change my date to May 17, which was the original date I had set.

Yes. I was concerned that you didnt have all your pre reqs completed. But may sounds like a better plan. All the content will be fresh in your mind which is good especially for those stinking physics 2 equations.

Yes. I was concerned that you didnt have all your pre reqs completed. But may sounds like a better plan. All the content will be fresh in your mind which is good especially for those stinking physics 2 equations.
Thanks. I think May will be better as well. I want to take it while orgo and physics are still fresh and won't have to go through this all over again. Plus, I want to avoid the 2015 exam and I will be interning this summer.

yay I'm signed up for this date! count me in for this thread lol.

I've had all my books since last year, was going to take it in September but decided against it. Now here I am! my plan is to get the majority of content done over my winter break so I can focus on finishing content and then problem solving from say mid Feb until test day. anxiety already, feel like my life truly rides on this test.

Procrastination is a huge problem of mine too. really need to figure out a way to stay on track here. during break plan on waking up early everyday to do content and problems. hopefully a goal of a chapter a day will keep me on track! good luck to all, lets help each other through this!

Thanks. I think May will be better as well. I want to take it while orgo and physics are still fresh and won't have to go through this all over again. Plus, I want to avoid the 2015 exam and I will be interning this summer.

I see. A lot of people are trying to avoid the test I feel. Some people are probably hating this fact because the seats are filling up so quick for the people that want to actually marticulate next year, but I could care less lol who wants to take a 6 hour exam anyways. good choice on your part. but I am not sure how the med school committes will view that come application time for you when the 2015 test will be in full swing. Who knows lol GOODLuck studying, and interning and studying is not as hard as taking a full course load ans studying IMO.

I have decided to sign up for this date. Anyone started their prep yet? What are your goals in terms of review (ie. when do you plan to start/finish content review and emphasize on practice exams/problems).

I also am thinking of using Nova as a retaker. I did Berkeley Review the first time and I know it gets great reviews but it wasn't detailed enough for me.
I'm gonna 2nd this lol. I think Physics is a great book, but my NOVA book has collected dust and it's a really great book. This is a re-take for me and while I liked TBR Physics, I think this time around I'll give NOVA a chance.

What are you going to do different this time around and what prep materials are you going to use?
I voided my Sept exam, and I will start studying Nov 3 for March 22nd, but I am trying to see which materials I should use this time around
This is what I'll be using:

Physics: NOVA + (TBR as supplement)
General Chemistry: TBR
Verbal: EK 101 + TPRH
Biology: EK + (Genetics & A&P TB's as supplements)
Organic: TBR + (Organic TB as supplement)

I work full-time so I started studying now. It's so mentally draining though to work MF 10am to 7pm EST and then come home and study from 9pm to 12am.

I was so much better with physics II. I don't get it.

I am struggling with kinematics (TBR physics Ch1). I feel rushed to memorize all them stupid equations and under the time constraints, I blank.
Hopefully doing a million kinematic problems will help with my memory, we'll see.

I am dreading, DREADING Newton. I don't know why forces and stuff are so over my head, but they are.
It's been long forgotten now, but there's a conceptual way I use to approach kinematics that made those problems a breeze.

This is what I vaguely remember since 2011: Say someone is throwing a ball up and then waits for it to fall back down before catching it. It's trajectory goes straight up and straight back down vertically until it falls back to it's initial starting point (your hand).

Initially the velocity at which you threw the ball is 50 m/s (you got strong arms). It will slow down until it hits its peak height, at which its final velocity will be 0 m/s. You can easily find out more information based on what you know, specifically the total time and distance (height). We know acceleration due to gravity is 10 m/s^2 (for MCAT purposes), acting downwards. This basically means that every second, the velocity will decrease by 10m/s (when opposing gravity -- in this case, traveling up) and increase by 10 m/s (when traveling with gravity -- travelling down).... [remember, these components are vectors]. Therefore, for a ball traveling initially at 50m/s, it will take a total of 5 seconds for it to reach it's peak height.

Keep in mind the reverse is identical (just opposite direction of travel): Let's look at this separately for a moment. Once the ball is at it's peak it begins to fall (initially) at 0m/s and accelerates to 50m/s at which point it slams back into your hand. This too takes 5 seconds. Therefore we know the total time of travel is 10 seconds. Here's the other cool thing. This equation is probably the only one I truly have in my head of the 4-5: Distance = Vavg x total time. The average velocity going from it's initial point to its final point (let's call it the mid-point), is 25 m/s (for Vavg, only consider one direction: going up or going down -- not both). The total time however is 10 seconds. Therefore, according to that handy dandy equation, the total distance is 250m.

This is probably a really straight forward example, but the same concept can be applied to those car type problems when the acceleration (working with or against the car) determines the distance traveled and how long it takes to get there, to even those newton problems that ask you the final velocity of a crate sliding down an incline. Obviously the latter will be a little more challenging, but the same basic concepts apply.

It's been nearly 2.5 years since I looked at this stuff, but conceptually that's how I'm able to remember it. I know there's other nitty gritty stuff for certain situations that need to be memorized (ie. Vx=constant for those "cannonball" type questions ... those circular (centripetal) motion problems ... knowing cosine and sine values for common angles, etc) but most of the time those can be thought of conceptually too. Vx is constant in those types of projectile problems because no horizontal acceleration is acting on the object. Centripetal Velocity's magnitude is constantly zero because acceleration acts perpendicular to it. In fact, memorizing things with little conceptual consideration might do more to hurt you. Most people make the mistake of assuming centripetal velocity is "constant" but it's not because it's direction is constantly changing. It's magnitude however is constantly zero. This is one of those types of problems trip people up.

What you'll find is that if you can approach problems conceptually and have a deep understanding of what each component means: acceleration, velocity, average velocity, it will make things considerably easier for you. ;)

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I guess I can't help. But if it helps youre not the only one out there. I am still in undergrad taking a full load. I get home around 6 most days but i cant get my self to study until 12 then i sleep at 3 most days sometimes at 4 and then wake up at 8:30. But atleast I get studying done. I guess I work better under time constraints.

But for suggestion I recommend just maybe try studying in the library. Because when you are at home you can easily get distracted, tv, family, COMPUTER, etc. At the library you cant do any of those things. Well phones are a big distraction now days so possible turn your phone off. What I do is I turn on this special feature on my phone that only lets calls come in from people that i choose (ex family). So i think give the library a shot.

Im glad to know I am not the only one. It also makes me feel my excuse of being out of school is a total cope out! Gotta get that out of my head. I just moved and looked up the closest library and it looks amazing! I am going to check it out next week with my phone on sleep mode.

---
Also for memorizing the Trig Functions. I have never had luck memorizing them. And in less than an hour with the hand trick, Ive got it down. Even months later I have automatically remembered :)
I just memorized the decimal of sq(3)/2 and sq(2)/2 to quickly use in problems.

http://squarerootofnegativeoneteachmath.blogspot.com/2013/05/trig-hand.html

Reactions: 1 users
Amazing way to remember. Although on the mcat the values are usually given. This is an amazing method none the less

I see everyone using Nova. physics is by far my weakest subject. I planned on using the TBR books, but should I consider nova?

It's been long forgotten now, but there's a conceptual way I use to approach kinematics that made those problems a breeze.

This is what I vaguely remember since 2011: Say someone is throwing a ball up and then waits for it to fall back down before catching it. It's trajectory goes straight up and straight back down vertically until it falls back to it's initial starting point (your hand).

Initially the velocity at which you threw the ball is 50 m/s (you got strong arms). It will slow down until it hits its peak height, at which its final velocity will be 0 m/s. You can easily find out more information based on what you know, specifically the total time and distance (height). We know acceleration due to gravity is 10 m/s^2 (for MCAT purposes), acting downwards. This basically means that every second, the velocity will decrease by 10m/s (when opposing gravity -- in this case, traveling up) and increase by 10 m/s (when traveling with gravity -- travelling down).... [remember, these components are vectors]. Therefore, for a ball traveling initially at 50m/s, it will take a total of 5 seconds for it to reach it's peak height.

Keep in mind the reverse is identical (just opposite direction of travel): Let's look at this separately for a moment. Once the ball is at it's peak it begins to fall (initially) at 0m/s and accelerates to 50m/s at which point it slams back into your hand. This too takes 5 seconds. Therefore we know the total time of travel is 10 seconds. Here's the other cool thing. This equation is probably the only one I truly have in my head of the 4-5: Distance = Vavg x total time. The average velocity going from it's initial point to its final point (let's call it the mid-point), is 25 m/s (for Vavg, only consider one direction: going up or going down -- not both). The total time however is 10 seconds. Therefore, according to that handy dandy equation, the total distance is 250m.

This is probably a really straight forward example, but the same concept can be applied to those car type problems when the acceleration (working with or against the car) determines the distance traveled and how long it takes to get there, to even those newton problems that ask you the final velocity of a crate sliding down an incline. Obviously the latter will be a little more challenging, but the same basic concepts apply.

It's been nearly 2.5 years since I looked at this stuff, but conceptually that's how I'm able to remember it. I know there's other nitty gritty stuff for certain situations that need to be memorized (ie. Vx=constant for those "cannonball" type questions ... those circular (centripetal) motion problems ... knowing cosine and sine values for common angles, etc) but most of the time those can be thought of conceptually too. Vx is constant in those types of projectile problems because no horizontal acceleration is acting on the object. Centripetal Velocity's magnitude is constantly zero because acceleration acts perpendicular to it. In fact, memorizing things with little conceptual consideration might do more to hurt you. Most people make the mistake of assuming centripetal velocity is "constant" but it's not because it's direction is constantly changing. It's magnitude however is constantly zero. This is one of those types of problems trip people up.

What you'll find is that if you can approach problems conceptually and have a deep understanding of what each component means: acceleration, velocity, average velocity, it will make things considerably easier for you. ;)

Hope this helps!

Thanks! This is incredibly useful :)
My problem really isn't the concept of velocity, acceleration, etc. Those "throw the rock off a cliff" questions with x and y components and all that lovely stuff where your starting height isn't the same as your ending, so you have to work with that as well.

welcome to the party! the more the merrier lol. it's only our whole lives riding on one test, lets do this!

I see everyone using Nova. physics is by far my weakest subject. I planned on using the TBR books, but should I consider nova?

I got Nova on amazon because physics is one of my weaker subjects. So far if is too basic to be my only resource. I'm using TPR as my main and using passages from TBR to supplement and get more practice.

I got Nova on amazon because physics is one of my weaker subjects. So far if is too basic to be my only resource. I'm using TPR as my main and using passages from TBR to supplement and get more practice.

How do you like nova?

I have all my review books from Kaplan. Does anyone know how the Kaplan review books compare to EK and TPR?

I have all my review books from Kaplan. Does anyone know how the Kaplan review books compare to EK and TPR?
I think EK books are to the point, condensed and only on a need to know basis for the test compared to Kaplan books. TPR I heard is 125% more materials than needed.

How many final exams do you all have before winter break? My last one, Parasitology, is next week and then it's time to set things straight with the MCAT. Ain't no games to be played round here!

How many final exams do you all have before winter break? My last one, Parasitology, is next week and then it's time to set things straight with the MCAT. Ain't no games to be played round here!
4 finals next weeks, then kicking in high gears for MCAT prep. ! Hopefully not going to lose hope cause march is kinda far. Keeping my goal in site .

lol I actually have 6 next week, have mercy on my soul. then it's time to hit the ground running for this mcat prep!