The Official March 22, 2014 MCAT Thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's like a diet.... I keep telling myself I'll start tomorrow

ya me too...i've become very lazy ...its gonna be very hard to get back if i've to retake the beast again....post mcat life is so much better than pre mcat!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
anyone else studying for the retake or are you guys waiting the 12 days?

i started studying for one day by the end of last month and after that i haven't studied after that...i'm scared that it's going to be hard to get back if i've to retake....u started?

The last 2 weeks of this wait is definitely worse than the first 2... Every time I think about writing my PS I get worried about my scores!

11 more days. Can't wait. 6 days until you guys see if you get your super amazing gift cards though :D.

TheNeuroman is right, consensus on that one was much lighter than ours. I think our curve will be MUCH better :) And tman90 not yet, I'm still doing content review... AAMC 10 is scheduled for tuesday. Hey, so I have a question: has anyone done the GS tests and can tell me how they rank with practice tests?

Members don't see this ad :)
TheNeuroman is right, consensus on that one was much lighter than ours. I think our curve will be MUCH better :) And tman90 not yet, I'm still doing content review... AAMC 10 is scheduled for tuesday. Hey, so I have a question: has anyone done the GS tests and can tell me how they rank with practice tests?
Very calculation heavy on the PS makes the mcat ps section on this test look like a child's play. For verbal it's a little too easy, though I never scored higher than a 9. But comparing to the aamc verbal, especially the one we had this time, the passages are definitely shorter and the questions/answer choices easier. BS is roughly about the same with aamc being a little trickier sometimes, mostly when they give obscure passages with exotic experimental techniques.
Overall, do them. If you can score consistently 30+ on the GS (balanced score) you will score well above 32+ on the real thing.

So... 10 more days. Still feels like it is dragging by pretty slowly... i have had a couple of nightmares where I pushed the "don't score" button by accident lol

A friend of mine told me that the curve is set prior to administration of the test. Is this true?

A friend of mine told me that the curve is set prior to administration of the test. Is this true?

My understanding is that they have a "question bank" with performance statistics for every single question. Obviously different administrations of the exam will have a different collection of questions from the "question bank". Thus the difficulty of a specific exam depends on the questions selected. Based on the statistics of each question, the AAMC has a general idea of percentiles.

DISCLAIMER: Take this with a grain of salt. I don't work for the AAMC nor have I heard this from an official member of the AAMC. This information is purely speculative and based on reading various message boards and blogs.

Hi All,
I have been reading SDN for 3 4 months but do not create an account.

As for DO schools, is MCAT of 26 still too low to be considered?

I have research in a bio lab, double major (general Bio and general chem), volunteer and shadow an office of a MD, and work study job in a another bio lab. I still do not think I will get in DO with an MCAT of 26. I am an Asian by the way. I heard many stereotypes about race/ethnicity in the admission process.

I also took the march 22th MCAT, and am nervous too lolz

Thanks

Hi All,

I have research in a bio lab, double major (general Bio and general chem), volunteer and shadow an office of a MD, and work study job in a another bio lab. I still do not think I will get in DO with an MCAT of 26. I am an Asian by the way. I heard many stereotypes about race/ethnicity in the admission process.

Thanks

What's your GPA??

Hi All,

Thanks

Depends on schools.
There's only one DO school in NJ, and the avg MCAT score was 31 last year..

MCAT 26 isn't enough for most DO schools. I took MCAT once and got 29, so I was hoping a 30+ this time. 26 is definitely a nightmare.

MCAT 26 isn't enough for most DO schools. I took MCAT once and got 29, so I was hoping a 30+ this time. 26 is definitely a nightmare.

Same here. 28 the first time, and hoping for at least a 30 (4/5). At this point, I don't really have an idea how it went anymore

Reactions: 1 users
What's your GPA??

My GPA is 3.918 at the moment that is cummulative. Science is probably 3.89 close to 3.9 since i took only 4 GEs at my school the rest is at community college before going. My university is UC Irvine in california by the way if that helps.

Depends on schools.
There's only one DO school in NJ, and the avg MCAT score was 31 last year..

I'm assuming you're talking about Rowan? Where did you find this info? Just tried looking on their website and am curious. That's a surprisingly high average for DO

My GPA is 3.918 at the moment that is cummulative. Science is probably 3.89 close to 3.9 since i took only 4 GEs at my school the rest is at community college before going. My university is UC Irvine in california by the way if that helps.

3.9/26 can definitely get you into DOs

3.9/26 can definitely get you into DOs

lol i was just surprised because like someone above here said 26 is kinda low and my school has the stigma that GPA of below 3.7 and MCat below 30 is going to be cut out from DO school.

THanks for the feedback guys,

Let the nervousness spread

same here with a 29. Logging in and getting a 29 on the day results were released was one of the stressful for days for me in a while. Getting one point off from slightly competitive stats at a mid/low md school really frustrated me. I think a 27-29 for a DO school is doable if your other stats are good, but I'm more focused on MD schools. I'm hoping I got a 30. I'm very confident about both science sections so im just hoping the verbal didn't destroy me, 8 more days >_<

Has anyone's belief about how they did change in the past few weeks?

I didn't. It's better to not think into it too much, unless you can think about it positively. You'll just be more anxious and worried and the day you get it back will be even more frustrating and worrying.

By the way, I'm looking for some good non AAMC review tests, anyone want to send me suggestions? (I only want to purchase the tests, not the courses, textbooks, etc.)