The Official March 22, 2014 MCAT Thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
65% correct on Trial Section, top quartile. I attribute the high score to having lots of Psychology passages.

But hopefully this is a good sign for the real score on Tuesday!

I think this is hilarious. I scored 40% and was in the BOTTOM half of test takers on the trial. I remember looking that the trial section (all psychology) and not knowing a single darn thing about what anything was talking about, but I guess others had a little background in the subject if 40% is in the bottom half. I definitely guessed on every single question and somehow got 40% correct. And I still received my gift card!!

Fannnnnn-tastic. What I thought was a good faith effort on my part was not deemed so by AAMC.
This does not bode well.

Hahaha 38% correct which put me in the bottom half. I wonder if anybody actually takes these scores seriously?

Reactions: 2 users
I didn't get any email, then again I was like "screw this" and bolted instead of doing the trial section :D.

Jeez those poor 2015 people....
I think they're deliberately making the questions extremely difficult to get some good data on where the difficulty should be capped. I took the biochem trial last summer, and even after my 400 level biochem, I burned out about half way through and put random answers for everything (though I still ended up with 47% right, so maybe I knew more than I realized). AAMC claims that you'll only need introductory material for the new sections, and there's just no way with the trial sections I had

Reactions: 1 user
Haha, 44% in psych. I had no idea what was going on lol. I would've been really annoyed if I hadn't gotten my card. I finished the trial section with about 20 minutes to spare, so I don't know how they decide what constitutes a good faith effort...

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder how people do so damn well on those trial sections, any ideas? the one in january i took was positively horrific and you guys sound like you had similar experiences.

i didnt get any email! it makes no sense! i spent 80% of the time for trail section with 5-10 mins to spare! which should be good faith effort..screw you aamc!

How long did it take you to complete the section?
I finished with 15-20 minutes left on the trial section. I didn't read any of the passages. I skimmed most of the questions and answer choices and picked what immediately seemed to be the best answers, without thinking hard about any of them.

Now that I say that out loud, it doesn't sound like a good-faith effort anymore.

*edited for grammar

Reactions: 1 users
56%, top quarter somehow. Really hoping I do well this time around because I do NOT want to have to take the version with those psych passages from the trial section... I already spent my gift card. I'm a big impulse shopper. Oops.

how do you check if you got the giftcard or not?....i did not receive any email so I guess I wont get it?

5 days people....how we all feeling?

I'm feeling a little nervous. Whatever my score is I'm probably going to peace out from this site forever, aside from just looking at the school specific forum to look at secondary essay questions. I have a full year to work on my PS, which was pretty much done last year already (lawls), and secondaries I can find from this site, which don't seem to change TOO drastically from year to year. I'm probably the most lax person when it comes to medical school admissions :\ (except for the MCAT.... s.o.b......)

I am currently shadowing a chief of cardiothoracic surgery and he told me that personal statements are barely even looked at by the admission staff. According to him, admission staff just skims through to find whether there are something outstanding like "I was a gold medalist in the last Olympics, etc". Not sure if I should take this with a grain of salt or not lol.

I am currently shadowing a chief of cardiothoracic surgery and he told me that personal statements are barely even looked at by the admission staff. According to him, admission staff just skims through to find whether there are something outstanding like "I was a gold medalist in the last Olympics, etc". Not sure if I should take this with a grain of salt or not lol.

would a second author in a research publication in mid tier journal be fill the category?

would a second author in a research publication in mid tier journal be fill the category?

I dont think so. Research experience + publication are not really unique.

BUT I am talking about personal statement, not extracurricular activities in general.
He said they look at GPA, MCAT, and extracurricular activities first, and then consider PS only if something REALLY unique is mentioned in it.

I think it kinda makes sense if I think in the position of the admission staff. I have thousands of applications with these boring PS on my desk. Would I read all of them?

BUT I am talking about personal statement, not extracurricular activities in general.
He said they look at GPA, MCAT, and extracurricular activities first, and then consider PS only if something REALLY unique is mentioned in it.

I think it kinda makes sense if I think in the position of the admission staff. I have thousands of applications with these boring PS on my desk. Would I read all of them?

i agree about the unique thing...but i'm quite sure they would read all the personal statement for the people who are invited to interview....they aren't gonna read it if the stats (initial computerized screen) for people not competitive for the school....

when that doctor was talking about unique accomplishment, that may not necessarily be mentioned in PS cuz that may not necessarily be in sync with the general theme of PS which is why someone wants be a doctor...

Here is my question: Would the admission people be impressed with unique circumstances/experiences (not accomplishment) that is genuine that lead someone to pursue this career? Because if I mention that accomplishment which is like repetition unless that activity involved in that accomplishment lead one to pursue this career...what i'm saying is that PS serves a different purpose and they read it to make sure if our heart is the right place and our ambitions are genuine.

guys i was reading the jan exam thread and i found this which made me hopeful....the person had some good luck, hopefully we all have that too!!

Test Date: 1/23
AAMC average scores: Ranged from 30-35, but average was 31.6 with AAMC 10 and 11 being 31 and 30, respectively
Post-Test Expected Score: Maybe 30-32 if I was lucky. I was especially worried about verbal because my VR score ranged 7-11 on AAMC practice tests and I had 4 minutes left to do the last passage!
Actual Score: 12/10/14 = 36
Comments: I only scored a 35 once on AAMC 9 so I wasn't expecting a 36 at all. I had to triple check to make sure I read it correctly haha. I definitely struggled while I was studying because my practice test scores were inconsistent. I kept pushing through though. I was seated near the door during my exam and thought the distractions from the door opening/closing would make me perform worse. After I took the exam, I was hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. I read inspirational posts from previous test takers who had low AAMC practice test scores and scored above their average to keep me motivated until test day. I'm so glad I don't have to retake.

Reactions: 2 users
I didn't get an email from AAMC regarding the trial section either.

I just hope that this has NO BEARINGS on the actual MCAT score.

50% on Sociology trial section. Not too shabby for not trying at all. Sociology is def the easiest part of the new MCATs

I think you'd be surprised at how many medical school applicants actually get published.... Second author? Even less.

Also, I think the weight put on the PS may vary from school to school. For example, schools with a heavy emphasis on community service or serving the disadvantaged might pay more attention to the PS to make sure their students fit their mission.

guys i was reading the jan exam thread and i found this which made me hopeful....the person had some good luck, hopefully we all have that too!!

Test Date: 1/23
AAMC average scores: Ranged from 30-35, but average was 31.6 with AAMC 10 and 11 being 31 and 30, respectively
Post-Test Expected Score: Maybe 30-32 if I was lucky. I was especially worried about verbal because my VR score ranged 7-11 on AAMC practice tests and I had 4 minutes left to do the last passage!
Actual Score: 12/10/14 = 36
Comments: I only scored a 35 once on AAMC 9 so I wasn't expecting a 36 at all. I had to triple check to make sure I read it correctly haha. I definitely struggled while I was studying because my practice test scores were inconsistent. I kept pushing through though. I was seated near the door during my exam and thought the distractions from the door opening/closing would make me perform worse. After I took the exam, I was hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. I read inspirational posts from previous test takers who had low AAMC practice test scores and scored above their average to keep me motivated until test day. I'm so glad I don't have to retake.

I would go absolutely insane if i scored 3-4 HIGHER than my averages... But this example is a big exception to the rule.... I'm definitely expecting to get a score below my average just so the blow won't hurt as bad...

agreed! A second author journal doesn't mean anything unless you can justify why your research is important towards medicine and makes you stand our from everyone else. The quality of journal today is really various. I ve seen many publications have one figure for qPCR, one figure for western blot, one histology figure and some dynamite plunger plots.

It sounds good. When most people have similar stats, e.c.s, mcat scores etc anything you've done that sets you apart is great. Getting a research publication as an undergrad is a major pain in the butt and I can see them liking that. Don't be too discouraged, put it in, and i'm sure you'll be fine. Remember different adcoms do things different ways and there's probably no universal rule. Worse thing you can do is get intimidated, discouraged, and not show what you've got.

Take people's thoughts on this subject (especially if they're negative) with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
agreed! A second author journal doesn't mean anything unless you can justify why your research is important towards medicine and makes you stand our from everyone else. The quality of journal today is really various. I ve seen many publications have one figure for qPCR, one figure for western blot, one histology figure and some dynamite plunger plots.

how many applicants even have publications? we are undergrads, not students working on a PHD thesis. Most of the publication slots go to grad students in the first place, and you have to pull some serious strings to make publications happen as an undergrad. That alone sets you apart from most applicants.

Last edited:
ya me too even though i did put good faith effort....i'm hoping that too...
dont worry, it doesnt

I believe the AAMC website explicitly says that our score on the trial section has no bearing on the actual score.

But I didn't take the trial section seriously at all (finished in under 10 minutes). I hope that people at AAMC don't get pissed and decide to take off 2 points from my actual score as punishment.

I believe the AAMC website explicitly says that our score on the trial section has no bearing on the actual score.

But I didn't take the trial section seriously at all (finished in under 10 minutes). I hope that people at AAMC don't get pissed and decide to take off 2 points from my actual score as punishment.

lol they wont. I didn't even take the trial section this time and I'm one to care about consequential things :p

Not to totally change the subject but I didn't feel like writing a new thread... is anyone else's Health Committee Letter board completely useless??

what's a requirement? a recommendation letter from them?

Yeah. I remember reading "if your undergraduate school has a health committee, a letter from them is required" somewhere. It's different for different schools though.

Yeah. I remember reading "if your undergraduate school has a health committee, a letter from them is required" somewhere. It's different for different schools though.
Yup that's true. I have to get one even though I barely worked with them- it's often the most important letter a medical school gets.