**The Official Marquette University School of Dentistry Class of 2019 Interview/Acceptance Thread**

Does Marquette favor Illinois residents over other OOS students?

Members don't see this ad.

A great majority of the OOS students was from Illinois. So yeah. And I'm talking about the incoming class

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not in-state and haven't heard from the school yet.. Am I not going to get it?

Unfortunately most likely yes. They send out all interview invites at the same time and if people decide not to attend the interview only then will they send out more but they are interviewing 224 OOS this year. I have heard they do occasionally have post-December interviews but those are really rare.

Last edited:
Unfortunately most likely yes. They send out all interview invites at the same time and if people decide not to attend the interview only then will they send out more but they are only interviewing 224 OOS this year. I have heard they do occasionally have post-December interviews but those are really rare.

Interviewing 224 OOS people is a lot.

True alright I removed the only. But to put it in perspective last year they interviewed 192 and accepted 98 for a space of 50 students so it was over a 50% acceptance rate. This is coming from the 2014 ADEA offical dental school guide.

I don't think they favor Illinois residents so much as the applicants willing to take their offer of admission tend to be from Illinois.
Marquette is just a short jaunt up from Chicago, so a lot of Illinois students apply there because it's close.

If you're from a state on the East or West coast, on the other hand, you are less likely to want to end up going to Marquette because it's "just another" private dental school (in the Midwest, no less), and you're shopping around at USC, NYU, Tufts, your state school, &c.

When I interviewed there, they said they have an issue filling their OOS class (they take 50 WI and 50 OOS) because they aren't necessarily going to be an OOS student's top choice.

Marquette seemed to be a great school and I would have no shame in going there... the reason I say that is it seems like some people are too picky about their dental schools. Also, it just seems like there isn't a lot of info out there about Marquette. They've got a great new facility, a large patient base from all around Wisconsin (because the WisconSIN BADgers don't have a dental school), a respectable price for a private school, and are committed to educating clinically competent dentists who are focused on strengthening communities (their outreach programs impressed me a lot).

So, to those applying to Marquette: If you want to go to Marquette--like, if it's on your shortlist and you didn't apply because it's "just another" dental school--LET THEM KNOW. Be able to articulate why Marquette. They're really friendly and want to convince you to pick them! They want to accept good students who will ultimately take their offer of admission. Students/faculty/staff all said they burn through a large stack of acceptees before they fill the 50 OOS spots.

Reactions: 3 users
For those who interviewed at Marquette already, how was it? Im having my interview in a week there and I am so excited for it!!

For those who interviewed at Marquette already, how was it? Im having my interview in a week there and I am so excited for it!!

It was an amazing experience. Completely exceeded my expectations. Marquette became one of my top choices after visiting and I'm OOS.
There will be 16 people and they split you into four groups of four to go on a tour, speak with students, talk with financial aid, and have the MMI. Everything is super relaxed! The faculty and students are genuinely interactive with each other and you can tell they truly love Marquette.

It was an amazing experience. Completely exceeded my expectations. Marquette became one of my top choices after visiting and I'm OOS.
There will be 16 people and they split you into four groups of four to go on a tour, speak with students, talk with financial aid, and have the MMI. Everything is super relaxed! The faculty and students are genuinely interactive with each other and you can tell they truly love Marquette.
That's great to hear, I just got in town today for my interview tomorrow morning! Really excited!

the interview style is MMI? what is the best way to prepare for that? did they ask you a lot of ethical questions or questions that require you to think on your feet? thanks again!

Reactions: 1 user
the interview style is MMI? what is the best way to prepare for that? did they ask you a lot of ethical questions or questions that require you to think on your feet? thanks again!
I felt like they asked a good mix of the both. There were definitely some question that you would need to think on your feet!

Members don't see this ad :)

I would say 75% were asking you to talk about yourself. They have set questions they ask you but the interview is more conversational and flows better than it sounds. I was intimated by the MMI but I really liked it! If you don't exactly hit it off with one person then you're given the chance to start over new with the next! You talk to four different faculty for 10 minutes each. It flew by!!

I don't think it's a "true" MMI. Definitely set up as MMI, but the questions aren't completely random. Like @student4144 said, a LOT of the questions ask about you and your interest and hobbies. Some questions, of course, are meant to make you think on spot for a solution or assess a situation and how to handle it.

PM me if you have more questions!

31/100 kids from my class are from IL.

Idk about favoring, but I think just more people apply from that area, and less people are applying from elsewhere. Haha.

Anyone staying at milwaukee airport inn tonight and wanna share a cab ride to marquette tmr morning? Lemme know :)

Unfortunately most likely yes. They send out all interview invites at the same time and if people decide not to attend the interview only then will they send out more but they are interviewing 224 OOS this year. I have heard they do occasionally have post-December interviews but those are really rare.

Y1DB4h.jpg

Well there will be one spot opening up from Friday because I can't go!

Wow, so for OOS, it's over? :( My application wasn't even complete with them until September...
Pretty much. They like early applicants. I believe they sent all invites the week of 09/14. Dont quote me on that though

Did anyone else have a heart attack after getting the thank you email? I was thinking, no! It's too early! Haha phew!

Reactions: 2 users
Definitely sounded like a rejection letter at first

I read this before checking my email so I was prepared

Did anyone else have a heart attack after getting the thank you email? I was thinking, no! It's too early! Haha phew!
Omg omg. Holy cow. I almost had a heart attack too. The thank you sounded at first like a "thank you for interviewing , but......" I was relived after reading through it.

I really hope to hear good news from Brian on Dec 1st.

Btw. Brian sometimes calls the night before December 1st, according to past years threads. Can someone please she ld some light about this ?

Reactions: 1 users
Omg omg. Holy cow. I almost had a heart attack too. The thank you sounded at first like a "thank you for interviewing , but......" I was relived after reading through it.

Btw. Brian sometimes calls the night before December 1st, according to past years threads. Can someone please she ld some light about this ?

I'm pretty sure he only did that last year because December 1st fell on a Sunday

Yep, Marquette definitely caused a few minor heart attacks today... myself included!

Reactions: 1 users
I began crying at work... Then I laughed hysterically when I finished reading it. Then I was banned from checking my e-mail at work. And I thought I was going to be as cool as a cucumber on December 1st. :whistle:

Reactions: 3 users

Yep! I was one of those people that got the phone call Sunday night!

So close! Hang in there guys!

Did you also get the Thank you email prior to the phone call? :) :D

Yes I did, and I had the exact same freak out that everyone on this thread had haha.

I feel the pain, guys

Just A FEW MORE DAYS!

Has anyone's status changed at all ?

All quiet on the OOS front! Talked to a friend today and his has not changed either.

Last edited:
Status changed this morning. I'm IS. Doesn't mean anything though, statuses changed for everyone who interviewed last year.

Last edited:
Status changed for me as well! Let's hope that means good news! :)

Omg mine too. I will love Brian forever if he calls me on Monday.

Reactions: 2 users
My status changed!! OOS We don't know what this means right!? hahaha Three more days!

Ahhh offer made shown on the mobile portal!! Yay!!!!

Congrats you guys! I got wait listed. Keep your chins up everyone who got wait listed our day will come! Now time to go kill that academic update!

Waitlisted at Marquette via AADSAS

Also waitlisted, unfortunate, I was expecting more, but keep the heads up!