**The Official Marquette University School of Dentistry Class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread**

does everyone who hasnt gotten an interview get a hold email

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody have information on the actual waitlist? Have we been given a position on it and they go from that order, or are we in a big pool?
What they will tell you is that you are a big pool. There is no order. They have to reevaluate the entire waitlist every time someone does not accept a spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
What they will tell you is that you are a big pool. There is no order. They have to reevaluate the entire waitlist every time someone does not accept a spot.

Actually, now I am not sure if that is correct. Because the terminology that they used was "alternate pool member" and not "wait list" but I assumed that was the same thing answering the above question. Anyway here is some info about "alternate pool" status although I cannot say if that is the same as "wait listed."

ALTERNATE POOL FAQ’s

1. What is the alternate pool? How is it different from being on “hold”?

Marquette has 100 spaces in its incoming dental class. Each one of those spaces has now been reserved by a student via a nonrefundable deposit. Should one of those paid students choose to decline their space, the Admissions Committee will turn to the alternate pool to find another candidate to fill that vacancy. This is different than being on “hold”. If you are informed that you are still on “hold”, that means that the Admissions Committee has not yet made a final decision on your file, but will do so in a subsequent meeting. This final decision could be an acceptance, rejection, or invitation to be in the alternate pool.

2. What is my rank in the alternate pool?

The alternate pool is an unranked pool of candidates. If/when a vacancy occurs, the Admissions Committee will reconvene and determine which candidate they would like to invite into the class.

3. Can I send updates to my credential file? Is there anything I can do to improve my chances of getting in?

At any time, you can send in updates to your record and we will place them in your file. If you would like to send in additional letters of recommendation, updated transcripts, new DAT scores, or other supporting documentation, we will see that it is placed in your file.

4. How many students are in the pool?

There are generally at least 75 candidates in the alternate pool. There is both a resident and a non-resident alternate pool. Should we lose a resident, we will take a resident alternate; should we lose a non-resident, we will take a non-resident alternate.

5. How many people get pulled from the alternate pool into the class?

There is no way of knowing how many students will be taken from the alternate pool in any given year. In recent years, it has been anywhere from zero to ten candidates.

6. What is the selection process if a space in the class opens?

If a vacancy occurs in the class, the Admissions Committee will convene and review files of everyone in the alternate pool. Once a candidate is selected, he/she will initially be contacted by phone. The candidate will have the opportunity to accept or decline the offer at that time. Should the candidate decline the space, his/her check will be returned. If the candidate chooses to accept the space, he/she will be sent a contract to sign and return. When Marquette University School of Dentistry receives the candidate’s signed contract, we will process their check and it will become their $1,000 nonrefundable deposit, which will be applied toward their first term’s tuition.

7. When will these vacancies occur?

Vacancies can occur anytime between the creation of the alternate pool and the first day of Orientation, generally the last week in August.

8. When will my check be cashed?

If there are no vacancies in the class, or if you are not selected for acceptance, your check will never be cashed. It will remain in your file until September, at which time we will return it to you. If you decline a space in the class, or at any time no longer wish to be a part of the alternate pool, we will return your check immediately upon your request. The only circumstance under which your check will be cashed is if you return a signed contract indicating your intent to become a member of the incoming class.

9. What if I still have questions?

Please feel free to contact us at (414) 288-3532, (800) 445-5385, or [email protected].

Actually, now I am not sure if that is correct. Because the terminology that they used was "alternate pool member" and not "wait list" but I assumed that was the same thing answering the above question. Anyway here is some info about "alternate pool" status although I cannot say if that is the same as "wait listed."

ALTERNATE POOL FAQ’s

Marquette has 100 spaces in its incoming dental class. Each one of those spaces has now been reserved by a student via a nonrefundable deposit. Should one of those paid students choose to decline their space, the Admissions Committee will turn to the alternate pool to find another candidate to fill that vacancy. This is different than being on “hold”. If you are informed that you are still on “hold”, that means that the Admissions Committee has not yet made a final decision on your file, but will do so in a subsequent meeting. This final decision could be an acceptance, rejection, or invitation to be in the alternate pool.

The alternate pool is an unranked pool of candidates. If/when a vacancy occurs, the Admissions Committee will reconvene and determine which candidate they would like to invite into the class.

3. Can I send updates to my credential file? Is there anything I can do to improve my chances of getting in?

At any time, you can send in updates to your record and we will place them in your file. If you would like to send in additional letters of recommendation, updated transcripts, new DAT scores, or other supporting documentation, we will see that it is placed in your file.

There are generally at least 75 candidates in the alternate pool. There is both a resident and a non-resident alternate pool. Should we lose a resident, we will take a resident alternate; should we lose a non-resident, we will take a non-resident alternate.

There is no way of knowing how many students will be taken from the alternate pool in any given year. In recent years, it has been anywhere from zero to ten candidates.

If a vacancy occurs in the class, the Admissions Committee will convene and review files of everyone in the alternate pool. Once a candidate is selected, he/she will initially be contacted by phone. The candidate will have the opportunity to accept or decline the offer at that time. Should the candidate decline the space, his/her check will be returned. If the candidate chooses to accept the space, he/she will be sent a contract to sign and return. When Marquette University School of Dentistry receives the candidate’s signed contract, we will process their check and it will become their $1,000 nonrefundable deposit, which will be applied toward their first term’s tuition.

Vacancies can occur anytime between the creation of the alternate pool and the first day of Orientation, generally the last week in August.

If there are no vacancies in the class, or if you are not selected for acceptance, your check will never be cashed. It will remain in your file until September, at which time we will return it to you. If you decline a space in the class, or at any time no longer wish to be a part of the alternate pool, we will return your check immediately upon your request. The only circumstance under which your check will be cashed is if you return a signed contract indicating your intent to become a member of the incoming class.

Please feel free to contact us at (414) 288-3532, (800) 445-5385, or [email protected].

Are you sure the alternate pool is the same thing as the wait list? Because my email never said anything about turning in a check.

Hey guys I will be giving up my seat at Marquette OOS! Good luck to you guys I hope one of you gets my spot! Look for more acceptances going out mid-January once they have seen how many people reject their offer. I also have a friend that got accepted that will most likely not go so 2 spots opening up for you OOS people. And in the 2014 ADEA guide I think they accepted 102 people 50 spots so their are still many acceptances to be had. Good luck you all! @Confused1617 I'm rooting for you! Any acceptances and how many interviews so far?

Also I was waitlisted and then alternate pooled last year if anyone has any questions shoot me a PM

Hey guys I will be giving up my seat at Marquette OOS! Good luck to you guys I hope one of you gets my spot! Look for more acceptances going out mid-January once they have seen how many people reject their offer. I also have a friend that got accepted that will most likely not go so 2 spots opening up for you OOS people. And in the 2014 ADEA guide I think they accepted 102 people 50 spots so their are still many acceptances to be had. Good luck you all! @Confused1617 I'm rooting for you! Any acceptances and how many interviews so far?
Thank you!!
I've gotten 3 acceptances to UIC, Pitt and Buffalo.

Reactions: 1 users
Any in state residents who have been given offers, and know they will be giving up their spot? Not to sound desperate, but Marquette is and always has been my number one, and I'm completely crushed at being wait listed

Reactions: 1 user
Are you sure the alternate pool is the same thing as the wait list? Because my email never said anything about turning in a check.

That is what I just wrote. -_- That I am not certain "alternate pool" is the same thing as "wait listed." However I posted the "alternate pool" information up because I wanted to suggest that maybe it is similar in how they approach wait listers this early in the game.

The check thing comes later on when you are officially accepted into the alternate pool come spring time.

Last edited:
Has anyone made a Marquette University School of Dentistry Class of 2020 Facebook page yet??

That is what I just wrote. -_- That I am not certain "alternate pool" is the same thing as "wait listed." However I posted the "alternate pool" information up because I wanted to suggest that maybe it is similar in how they approach wait listers this early in the game.

The check thing comes later on when you are officially accepted into the alternate pool come spring time.
The alternate list comes later (I was notified in March) they have you send a check at that point but they DO NOT cash it. They do this so if they call you and offer they have your money immediately should you say yes. I think its kind of a weird way of holding your alternate but they don't cash it so it doesn't really matter. And they end up sending the check back if you don't get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who got in, what is your deadline to commit to Marquette?

I got the acceptance call but has anyone gotten an acceptance email from Marquette yet?

I got the acceptance call but has anyone gotten an acceptance email from Marquette yet?
Nope! We are supposed to be getting an acceptance packet in the mail to your permanent address though. Has anyone received that yet??

Has anyone made a Marquette University School of Dentistry Class of 2020 Facebook page yet??

Yeah there's one out there now just search Marquette University School of Dentistry class of 2020 and someone will accept you

Yeah there's one out there now just search Marquette University School of Dentistry class of 2020 and someone will accept you
Would you be able to copy and paste the link? It is not showing up for me for some reason!

upload_2015-12-4_11-12-38.png

Would you be able to copy and paste the link? It is not showing up for me for some reason!

helpful. i tried (and failed) to post a screenshot.
search "Marquette University School of Dentistry class of 2020" and then filter by groups. it probably won't show up in the top results unless you filter by groups.

Can't tell if you are trying to be jerk or trying to be helpful. Either way nothing comes up. I don't think a group has been made yet.

helpful. i tried (and failed) to post a screenshot.
search "Marquette University School of Dentistry class of 2020" and then filter by groups. it probably won't show up in the top results unless you filter by groups.
Okay I wasn't quite sure! And yeah I ran into the same issue @chasing72 did.

ALTERNATE POOL FAQ’s

ALTERNATE POOL FAQ’s

Where did you get this info from??

Any word on when there will be another round of acceptances??

Any word on when there will be another round of acceptances??
From admission, "We do not anticipate additional offers of admission will be extended before the second week of January."

I spoke with admissions today. The committee will be meeting towards the end of the week, or next. Looks like we will have to wait a little while longer.

Thank you! I got the call around 3 today but my portal hasn't changed yet

Maybe they started today. Just reporting what I was told. Who knows.

Awesome. So which of the five schools that accepted you will be fortunate enough to have you as a student?

I'm debating between UIC and Marquette...I declined the other schools :/

I actually called yesterday too and they told me they'll make a decision sometime next week so I was really surprised about the call too

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard if any in state spots opened up?? Or if any in state applicants have been pulled off the waitlist?

I just contacted the admissions office. She said that the second round of offers has been made but she didn't know if they were all in state, out of state, or a combination