*** The Official Maryland Class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

First post here. I am lucky to have been accepted to UMB! I visited in the fall and did not have a chance to check out the neighborhood or places to live. Any suggestions? Can anyone speak to the safety of the area and whether there are places in the neighborhood to get provisions like milk, eggs etc. thanks!

First post here. I am lucky to have been accepted to UMB! I visited in the fall and did not have a chance to check out the neighborhood or places to live. Any suggestions? Can anyone speak to the safety of the area and whether there are places in the neighborhood to get provisions like milk, eggs etc. thanks!
Safety is a big issue so at night try to walk with a friend or in a group. There are not many places out here by the school that have groceries. There is a rite aid not far from the school but the area it is in is crime central. I suggest carpooling with a friend for groceries to outside the area (it's also cheaper too because prices can be a bit pricey around here I noticed).

Members don't see this ad :)
Safety is a big issue so at night try to walk with a friend or in a group. There are not many places out here by the school that have groceries. There is a rite aid not far from the school but the area it is in is crime central. I suggest carpooling with a friend for groceries to outside the area (it's also cheaper too because prices can be a bit pricey around here I noticed).

Agreed. You wont be safe walking around the campus or surrounding area at night. I grew up in Baltimore. You should have a car if you plan on living in the city just to get around with ease and not to have to walk or do public transit (check that out thats not even safe).

I'm moving from where I live currently but will still be in the burbs. I cant stomach safety issues of living in the city. Everyone in my family has had their cars robbed parked in the city at some point. My cousin even had her car stolen!

It's quiet today!!!!! I wonder if they released any acceptances today?????

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know what the total CoA comes out to if you change your residency to In-state after 2 years? or if your lucky enough to change it after the first year?

Does anyone know the statistics of those that interview and then are accepted? Is it relatively high? I have an interview on Tuesday, and was wondering how many seats were still left as well?

Just received a call saying they had an interview opening, I turned it down but this is the first I have heard from them since submitting my supplemental back at the beginning of September! Don't lose hope!

Reactions: 2 users
Wonder when we'll hear back after our interviews? Was there tuesday, hopefully in the next couple weeks?

Just received a call saying they had an interview opening, I turned it down but this is the first I have heard from them since submitting my supplemental back at the beginning of September! Don't lose hope!

Was the interview in February?

So.... is it safe to say I'm rejected since I never received a supplemental?
3.71 GPA, 21 DAT, OOS if y'all are wondering...

Members don't see this ad :)
So.... is it safe to say I'm rejected since I never received a supplemental?
3.71 GPA, 21 DAT, OOS if y'all are wondering...

I think I saw earlier someone posted that they got a supp and interview back to back (versus people who got supps earlier last year) so I wouldn't give up yet! Maybe call and show interest?

Hello everyone, I accepted my offer for UMD in January, and my wife and I just moved into the city to settle down before school starts. Some people were asking about places to live, and I just wanted to put in my two cents. We are living in the Franklin Square neighborhood, which is not a place that you would call "safe" (in terms of suburb community "safety"). However, it all has to do with what your comfort level with city living is. My wife and I love this area because rent is cheap, it's close to the school and the hospital where my wife will be working, and parking is easy and free! We are getting to know our neighbors and the community and we don't feel threatened here. Some more precautions might need to be taken here, but for us it is definitely worth it.

There's a top floor 1 BR available in our building, if anyone is interested send me a PM and i'll connect you with the craigslist ad. Also, if anyone wants to stop by and get to know us (or crash on our floor) when you are in town, you are welcome.

So, it might not be for everyone, but I would recommend checking out the Franklin Square/Union Square/Hollins Market neighborhoods.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
For those who accepted Maryland's offer, did you get anything besides the email saying thank you for accepting?

For those who accepted Maryland's offer, did you get anything besides the email saying thank you for accepting?

Nope, would really like a packet talking about required immunizations and supplies and stuff like that though!

Interviewing next Tuesday! Anyone have advice to give? Really hoping for an acceptance here. Submitted my app late (October) which is why I'm assuming I wasn't even under review until like 1/15.

To those who received their acceptance, how long did you have to wait after the interview before getting the call/email?

Have they sent any rejections for post-December interviews yet?

Is it safe to say that I'm rejected from Umd if I have not heard back from them since my interview in September. I have been emailing them about updates to my current activities and even called them 2x to ask about any status changes but they tend to seem to give me the generic answer of "it's an ongoing process we are not sure yet.":(:(:(

Is it safe to say that I'm rejected from Umd if I have not heard back from them since my interview in September. I have been emailing them about updates to my current activities and even called them 2x to ask about any status changes but they tend to seem to give me the generic answer of "it's an ongoing process we are not sure yet.":(:(:(
What are your stats?

If they have maybe one interview day left, it is smart for them to finish out the interview cycle, review the interviewees from the recent interviews then go to the "waitlist". I am expecting silence for a few more weeks, so anything before that would be a blessing. I would not assume a rejection until you are notified.

I interviewed in November and I still haven't gotten any news. I called Tuesday and they said next week is their last week of interviews so they expect some movement after that.

For us who haven't heard back yet, I think we may hear back the first week of March.

At this point, if I haven't heard back since my application sent out in June are my chances at an interview now 0%?

I interviewed in November and I still haven't gotten any news. I called Tuesday and they said next week is their last week of interviews so they expect some movement after that.

For us who haven't heard back yet, I think we may hear back the first week of March.
Same here. I don't even care anymore considering I put down my deposit elsewhere. Pretty rude to be honest.

Same here. I don't even care anymore considering I put down my deposit elsewhere. Pretty rude to be honest.

I totally agree with you. You just feel like you cannot leave someone with no answer for months on end. It's just not right. Especially when people like myself are waiting day by day. An update would suffice, and we don't even get that.

By no means would I say you are rejected. I think you still have a chance.

I totally agree with you. You just feel like you cannot leave someone with no answer for months on end. It's just not right. Especially when people like myself are waiting day by day. An update would suffice, and we don't even get that.

But they say admissions is rolling. They will keep interviewing until they select the people that they want in their class, if you havent heard it may mean that youre not their top choice from the interviews for whatever reason. A lot of schools will waitlist people then keep interviewing more and more and selecting from those interviews.. But you havent been rejected so you're in with a chance still.

At my interview they said please dont call and ask your application status and they seemed pretty firm about that so definitely dont keep calling because it may push you farther downhill. I think they even said that when I first applied in an email.

But they should at least just WL you I guess if its been this long... Im not sure they WL people until they finish interviews though?

But they should at least just WL you I guess if its been this long... Im not sure they WL people until they finish interviews though?

All I'm saying is that to receive SOMETHING sounds rational to me. I'll take anything at this point. I'd be grateful to get an email that says "keep waiting" so I at least know they didn't forget about me.

hey GAdawg94, I appreciate your responses. Thanks.

I do not think it is true rolling admissions. I think they planned to interview until the end of February. I have faith in the people that continued to show interest in Maryland will be rewarded with an acceptance.

Reactions: 2 users
I dont recall them explicitly saying not to call and ask the status of the application. I actually sent them a letter of intent, email to my interviewer, and a phone call. I received my acceptance within the hour from the phone call. I think it actually shows the genuine interest to attend the school.

But they say admissions is rolling. They will keep interviewing until they select the people that they want in their class, if you havent heard it may mean that youre not their top choice from the interviews for whatever reason. A lot of schools will waitlist people then keep interviewing more and more and selecting from those interviews.. But you havent been rejected so you're in with a chance still.

At my interview they said please dont call and ask your application status and they seemed pretty firm about that so definitely dont keep calling because it may push you farther downhill. I think they even said that when I first applied in an email.

I dont recall them explicitly saying not to call and ask the status of the application. I actually sent them a letter of intent, email to my interviewer, and a phone call. I received my acceptance within the hour from the phone call. I think it actually shows the genuine interest to attend the school.

Due to the volume of applications that we receive, we respectfully request that you do not contact our office to check on the status of your application at this time. Our office will contact you if additional information is required.

Who did you call? The school or were you able to get the interviewers phone contact?

Are you instate?

Due to the volume of applications that we receive, we respectfully request that you do not contact our office to check on the status of your application at this time. Our office will contact you if additional information is required.

I received that same email Sept 30th when the application was first being processed and under review(I only mailed my application 9/11). I believe that after you attend an interview, you have every right to follow up on your application and that it shouldn't " push you farther downhill." I could have just gotten lucky receiving my acceptance a few days after mailing a letter of intent and same day of a phone call but who knows...

Who did you call? The school or were you able to get the interviewers phone contact?

Are you instate?

I looked up my interviewer's email at Maryland's website( I forgot to ask him for it on the interview). I mailed a letter of intent to the admissions office and I didn't call anyone in specific, just the admissions office letting them know I sent them my letter and if they received , etc...
No, I'm OOS Florida.

Hi guys! I'm a second year student at UMB SOD. To give you a heads up: second deposits are due April 1st. Some people who paid first deposits may not pay the final deposit, thus freeing up their seat.

Be patient!!! Don't call Admissions every other day to ask your status. It can negatively impact their decision. It can be perceived as annoying; the saying "squeaky wheel gets the oil" does not apply in this situation; it's more "squeaky wheel gets replaced." I being honest and lighthearted. I apologize in advance if it came off as harsh. I do suggest sending ONE e-mail with any updates ASAP if you have not yet done so. This update should allow you to reaffirm your interest in the school and thank them for considering you.

Feel free to ask me anything

Reactions: 3 users
I received that same email Sept 30th when the application was first being processed and under review(I only mailed my application 9/11). I believe that after you attend an interview, you have every right to follow up on your application and that it shouldn't " push you farther downhill." I could have just gotten lucky receiving my acceptance a few days after mailing a letter of intent and same day of a phone call but who knows...

I looked up my interviewer's email at Maryland's website( I forgot to ask him for it on the interview). I mailed a letter of intent to the admissions office and I didn't call anyone in specific, just the admissions office letting them know I sent them my letter and if they received , etc...
No, I'm OOS Florida.

You were lucky but in general it does negatively impact you attending there. I could tell admissions was especially tired of tons of people asking them when they would decide. They made it a point to say look we dont know and be patient.

My interview is next Tuesday Feb 23rd and I am just so thankful that I've got an invitation for an interview at my top choice school, UMB! I was so worried since I submitted my application at the end of Nov. Good luck for everyone, especially for those who are scheduled for the interview on Tues!!!! :highfive:

My interview is next Tuesday Feb 23rd and I am just so thankful that I've got an invitation for an interview at my top choice school, UMB! I was so worried since I submitted my application at the end of Nov. Good luck for everyone, especially for those who are scheduled for the interview on Tues!!!! :highfive:
See you there!

Sitting here just wondering when the next round of acceptances will be o_Oo_Oo_O:eek::dead:

when was the last time they released acceptances?

when was the last time they released acceptances?

It has been a while. Possibly February 1st? I am hoping for some movement by next Friday.