The Official May 22, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fenderboi930

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think many of you will agree that today is a great day to officially prepare for the May 22nd MCAT!!!

I was against the April 2015 MCAT because a typical 3 month schedule doesn't seem to work for
students and/or working test takers. With a little over 4 months of preparation we can go in with confidence!
It's all new and really scary--so let's kick MCAT butt together!!

I was also wondering, wouldn't many professional MCAT test takers and tutors want to take the MCAT 2015 as soon
as possible (April MCAT) so they can better they're material or teaching? Wouldn't that just destroy the curve?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure the curve doesn't work that way

I am taking in May :)

April test takers get $150, we get nothing :(

Reactions: 1 users
Question, does receiving the score June 30th put us at a significant disadvantage when application time comes?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope. The primary application only opens up May 1st and it only opens for submission on June 3rd. According to AAMC, the initial transmission of application to medical schools will only take place June 27. So at most we are at a 3 day disadvantage (pretty much none) because our scores will be automatically submitted as long as we have submitted our primaries by then.

Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone bought the NextStep strategy/practice or content books? Can someone share how many passages/practice sections are included in each practice book? Are they sorted by chapter?

If someone could comment on their quality compared to the old MCAT books (ex TBR, TPR), that would be great.

Nope. The primary application only opens up May 1st and it only opens for submission on June 3rd. According to AAMC, the initial transmission of application to medical schools will only take place June 27. So at most we are at a 3 day disadvantage (pretty much none) because our scores will be automatically submitted as long as we have submitted our primaries by then.

exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much.

Do you guys think there is a huge advantage of taking the test in june instead of may or not really?
It's so dumb the june test takers get their score only 20 days after us :mad:

Hey! I will also be taking this test. What is everyone thinking in terms of study strategy? I think I'm going to buy Princeton's books and online program.

I am thinking of taking it either this day or in June. Haven't started studying as I am waiting for my books to come in (should be coming in today/tomorrow). I will be using Princeton books for Biology&Biochemistry, the sociology/psych section, and the CARS section, I have both the old berkeley review books, the old EK books, and the old princeton books for the rest of the sections (physics, gen chem, orgo). Does anyone have a study schedule set up yet btw??

Reactions: 1 user
Officially checking in!

Not sure about a schedule, the one up in this forum is not updated to add the new subjects. But it's probably still the best out there if we just add in the new psych/biochem sections.

Any ideas about using TBR Bio 1 and 2 for the new BS section? I hear TBR Bio 2 is pretty thorough with biochem and has some hard passages.

Any ideas about using TBR Bio 1 and 2 for the new BS section? I hear TBR Bio 2 is pretty thorough with biochem and has some hard passages.

I would definitely use those for practice! I'm going to be studying TPR biology and biochemistry review and then probably using TBR for practice problems/passages :) If I find that I am lacking in content for that section I may read over TBR

Aiming to make a new schedule using SN2ed's by filling in biochem where the physics content was cut (this is proving difficult). Then I'm adding psych/sociology in as needed (psych minor, woo)

Using old BR and EK materials, but I did buy the new guide. Also bought TPR biochem and TPR soc/psych (as both come with 3 full length practice exams, apparently).

Members don't see this ad :)
Aiming to make a new schedule using SN2ed's by filling in biochem where the physics content was cut (this is proving difficult). Then I'm adding psych/sociology in as needed (psych minor, woo)

Using old BR and EK materials, but I did buy the new guide. Also bought TPR biochem and TPR soc/psych (as both come with 3 full length practice exams, apparently).

Do you mind sending me your schedule please? I also bought TPR biochem and TPR soc/pscyh. Do you know if they are the same three tests or if we got 6 tests?

Probably going to test this day but I have no idea how to approach studying for this. I bought the Kaplan books, anyone else? I tried watching the Khan Academy videos but I was bored out of my mind after like 3. Anyone have any suggestions or a study schedule?

What materials are you guys using? And what's your schedule look like. I have to teach myself psych/sociology because I've never taken these courses before. Somewhat worried.

Anyone going to take a review course? @nolookpass, I've heard that the Khan academy videos are really great for learning that material quickly.

Hey guys,

I'm going to be taking a Kaplan course and might use some BR materials from the past as well. Is it worth it to buy any additional practice material in addition to the material we get with the Kaplan course? Also, what is the best course of study for the May 22 MCAT? Any study plans or guides available on SDN?

Taking the may exam. Using ek books with supplements from various other sources to get their FL test. namely TPR psych/social, Kaplan 528, and next step test.

Im taking the may exam as well, I have the kaplan self study plus a bunch of older random books. Hopefully kaplan gets the Qbank up soon, for more question practice, but the review books are pretty decent, although some of the calculation practice problems are quite difficult to do without a calculator.

Do we need to know the actual sturcture of the amino acids or is just knowing whether knowing they are hydrophillic.hydrophobic is enough?

Is anyone kind of worried about how the chem and physics stuff is going to be extremely biology/living organism centered? How do we prep for that?

Is anyone kind of worried about how the chem and physics stuff is going to be extremely biology/living organism centered? How do we prep for that?

Just know the underlying concepts for the chem and physics, while the context will be biology based, the concepts will remain the same. Instead of calculating flow for a garden hose, it would be a vein etc.

Just know the underlying concepts for the chem and physics, while the context will be biology based, the concepts will remain the same. Instead of calculating flow for a garden hose, it would be a vein etc.

Got it. Thanks. Hopefully it's that straightforward. The recent MCAT (now considered old) did this already so it shouldn't be anything too new.

How is psychology and sociology for you guys? I have never taken any course for either subject and will be learning it all on my own.

Last edited:
Got it. Thanks. Hopefully it's that straightforward. The recent MCAT (now considered old) did this already so it shouldn't be anything too new.

How is psychology and sociology for you guys? I have never taken any course for either subject and will be learning it all on my own.

I took psych 101 my freshman year, so like 6 years ago, and I have never taken a sociology class so I'm basically in the same boat. I'm assuming sociology will be a lot of common sense (hopefully). What materials are you using?

I took psych 101 my freshman year, so like 6 years ago, and I have never taken a sociology class so I'm basically in the same boat. I'm assuming sociology will be a lot of common sense (hopefully). What materials are you using?

Open to any suggestions on what to use, but this is my plan

Psychology/Sociology TPR Book + Khan videos (Where should we get questions from other than the Khan questions?)

Biochem - Kaplan Book + Khan (Where should we get questions from other than the Khan questions? I hear TBR bio questions are enough biochemistry for the new exam, correct me if I'm wrong. If that's the case I feel fine.)

Bio/Orgo/Physics/Chem - The older TBR books

Open to any suggestions on what to use, but this is my plan

Psychology/Sociology TPR Book + Khan videos (Where should we get questions from other than the Khan questions?)

Biochem - Kaplan Book + Khan (Where should we get questions from other than the Khan questions? I hear TBR bio questions are enough biochemistry for the new exam, correct me if I'm wrong. If that's the case I feel fine.)

Bio/Orgo/Physics/Chem - The older TBR books

I bought the Kaplan 2015 set so I registered my books online so I could get access to more passages and they have videos but they don't have everything uploaded for some reason. I plan to use the Khan videos as well too I just hate listening to some of the instructors on there but it seems to be a good resource.

I have the TPR science workbook so I'm going to use that as more practice. I also have TBR gen chem and physics so I'll use those if I feel I need to.

I'm just worried about practice exams. I've already exhausted all the AAMC exams since I'm a re-taker. I think I'm going to purchase the new SAs when they come out in February and the Official Guide to the MCAT as well. I'm not sure where to find more questions on psych/soc besides the new AAMC stuff that is coming out next month.

I bought the Kaplan 2015 set so I registered my books online so I could get access to more passages and they have videos but they don't have everything uploaded for some reason. I plan to use the Khan videos as well too I just hate listening to some of the instructors on there but it seems to be a good resource.

I have the TPR science workbook so I'm going to use that as more practice. I also have TBR gen chem and physics so I'll use those if I feel I need to.

I'm just worried about practice exams. I've already exhausted all the AAMC exams since I'm a re-taker. I think I'm going to purchase the new SAs when they come out in February and the Official Guide to the MCAT as well. I'm not sure where to find more questions on psych/soc besides the new AAMC stuff that is coming out next month.
Are you sure there will be new self assessments out in feb??

No problem. I'm hoping they won't be much more than the old MCAT SA's, but I wouldn't be surprised if they jack up the prices.

Oh yea totally forgot. I also will be purchasing that 10 dollar set. They have questions for all sections correct?

Lol I doubt it. The old sa were like a 100

Oh wow that'd be awesome. Let's hope!

Is this what you guys are talking about?

The Online Practice Questions from The Official Guide to the MCAT® Exam (MCAT2015), Fourth Edition

The 120 questions from The Official Guide to the MCAT® Exam (MCAT2015), Fourth Edition are also available for purchase in an online format so you can practice answering the questions in the same format as the actual exam. You can purchase the online questions alone for $10 or bundled with the book for $35.

https://members.aamc.org/eweb/DynamicPage.aspx?Action=Add&ObjectKeyFrom=1A83491A-9853-4C87-86A4-F7D95601C2E2&WebCode=PubDetailAdd&DoNotSave=yes&ParentObject=CentralizedOrderEntry&ParentDataObject=Invoice Detail&ivd_formkey=69202792-63d7-4ba2-bf4e-a0da41270555&ivd_prc_prd_key=17A020B5-2B7E-40F4-8434-036FA0209897

The book is basically explaining the exam. I haven't purchased it/don't plan to because I thought the outline was good enough. If you guys (anyone with the book) feel like the book is really good let me know.

Dangggg no. Look at my post above with the link. Each section has 120 questions or something. 700+ total practice questions.

Gotcha. I did sign up for that email reminder just totally forgot I did. Wonder how much those are. What is the 120 question pack then? Even more additional questions?

Why is there no new AAMC SA being released for the psych/soci section?? I feel like that's the most important one needed.

Here are the resources I think I am going to be using in order of importance; hope it helps you all get more organized too! This is obviously in addition to the AAMC tests and SA's and whatever else they end up releasing. I think I will be using the Khan Academy videos more as a review; it doesn't seem very comprehensive as to covering everything listed on the new outline. I have bolded and underlined the materials I am considering getting but am still unsure about.

Biology:
-Content: 1) TBR Part 1 & 2, 2) TPR (old), 3) Khan Academy Vids
-Passages: 1) TBR, 2) TPRH Science Workbook, 3) AAMC Bio SA (old), 4) Khan

Biochemistry:
-Content: 1) TBR Part 2, 2) Kaplan Biochemistry, 3) Lehninger
-Passages: 1) TBR, 2) NextStep Strategy and Practice, 3) TPRH Science Workbook, 4) Khan

General Chemistry:
-Content: 1) TBR, 2) Khan Academy Vids
-Passages: 1) TBR, 2) TPRH Science Workbook, 3) AAMC GC SA (old), 4) Khan

Organic Chemistry:
-Passages: 1) TBR, 2) TPRH Science Workbook, 3) AAMC Organic SA (old), 4) Khan

Physics:
-Passages: 1) TBR, 2) TPRH Science Workbook, 3) AAMC Physics SA (old), 4) Khan

Psychology & Sociology:
-Content: 1) Kaplan Behavioral Sciences, 2) Khan Academy Vids
-Passages: ???? Not sure about this 1) NextStep Strategy and Practice, 2) Khan

CARS/Verbal:
-Passages: 1) TPRH Verbal (old), 2) EK 101, 3) NextStep CARS, 3) AAMC Verbal SA, 4) TBR Verbal??

Practice Tests:
-Old AAMC's 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
-3 Kaplan Tests
-4 Princeton Review Tests
-NextStep if necessary? Anyone recommend these?

If anyone has ideas about what passages to do for the Psych section (feedback on NextStep strategy books?), I would appreciate it! Also, can anyone speak to how many passages are in each new EK book as well? Worth considering?

Last edited:
Hey guys. I have 2 copies of the AAMC official guide, 1 of which hasn't even been opened-- if anyone is interested in buying this for a discounted amount via paypal transfer, I'd really like to sell it to someone. Message me for info! :)

Gotcha. I did sign up for that email reminder just totally forgot I did. Wonder how much those are. What is the 120 question pack then? Even more additional questions?
Yeah just more questions I guess. Still pretty useful I would imagine.

Why is there no new AAMC SA being released for the psych/soci section?? I feel like that's the most important one needed.
I'm hoping they will incorporate some psych questions in one of the bio questions packs seeing as there are 2 of them. No clue about sociology though...total bummer since I could really use the practice.

Wow no Psych passages. Seems like they're just gonna recycle what they currently have/get rid of the stuff that's not relevant anymore.

Only 120 passages too.. from ~330+ passages from aamc exams + aamc self assessments.