The Official May 22, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fenderboi930

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think many of you will agree that today is a great day to officially prepare for the May 22nd MCAT!!!

I was against the April 2015 MCAT because a typical 3 month schedule doesn't seem to work for
students and/or working test takers. With a little over 4 months of preparation we can go in with confidence!
It's all new and really scary--so let's kick MCAT butt together!!

I was also wondering, wouldn't many professional MCAT test takers and tutors want to take the MCAT 2015 as soon
as possible (April MCAT) so they can better they're material or teaching? Wouldn't that just destroy the curve?

Members don't see this ad.

Prelim ranges: 90-100%, with 85-100% sections except for C/P, which was 74-89%.

C/P: 127 (79%)
CARS: 131 (99%)
BIO: 130 (97%)
PSYCH: 132 (98%)
Total: 519 (98%)

So happy! Also, after reading through 8 pages of freak-out on this thread, I'm really glad I was at work all day and only now checked my scores.
So jealous of your CARS score, good job!

Reactions: 1 user
So I don't think I will be applying to my super reach schools, but I am happy'
130-Chem 97% (13)
128 CARS 87% ( 10-11)
129 Bio 93% (11-12)
129 Psych 93%
516, 95th 34-35
Prelims were 85-100 in all sections except CARS, which was 82-97.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I don't think I will be applying to my super reach schools, but I am happy'
130-Chem 97% (13)
128 CARS 87% ( 10-11)
129 Bio 93% (11-12)
129 Psych 93%
516, 95th 34-35
Prelims were 85-100 in all sections except CARS, which was 82-97.

Killed it! You could probably apply to some reach schools with a 36 average if you wanted, depending on your GPA.

Hey guys! Awesome job everyone. Congrats! :)

C/P: 129 (93%)
CARS: 130 (97%)
BIO: 132 (100%)
PSYCH: 130 (97%)
Total: 521 (99%) !!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 13 users
I let myself have about 30 minutes of relaxation after I got my score. Now I'm working on secondaries. I've started the secondaries for 16 of my schools, and have rough drafts of ~20 essays. I think that's pretty good. I just really need to think of something to write about for the secondaries that ask me how I overcame a difficult situation. I already wrote my adversity essay about how I came to accept having caused my sister's disability, but I feel like this one wants a more specific situation:

"Tell us about a difficult or challenging situation you have encountered and how you dealt with it. In your response, identify both the coping skills you called upon to resolve the dilemma, and the support person(s) from whom you sought advice. We suggest that you limit your essay to about 400 words" (U of Chicago)

Do you guys think I could use the adversity essay for this prompt, or should I come up with something more concrete?

I let myself have about 30 minutes of relaxation after I got my score. Now I'm working on secondaries. I've started the secondaries for 16 of my schools, and have rough drafts of ~20 essays. I think that's pretty good. I just really need to think of something to write about for the secondaries that ask me how I overcame a difficult situation. I already wrote my adversity essay about how I came to accept having caused my sister's disability, but I feel like this one wants a more specific situation:

"Tell us about a difficult or challenging situation you have encountered and how you dealt with it. In your response, identify both the coping skills you called upon to resolve the dilemma, and the support person(s) from whom you sought advice. We suggest that you limit your essay to about 400 words" (U of Chicago)

Do you guys think I could use the adversity essay for this prompt, or should I come up with something more concrete?

How do you have that much motivation! I feel lazy now.

Want to add some super reach schools. 510, 3.3, masters degree and great ECs and LORs, not sure where to add. Probably only 3 or 4 more to bring my list to 25. I

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay now back to business with secondaries!

@Lannister i think you're good using the adversity prompt for the Chicago secondary. That's what I'm doing!

Okay now back to business with secondaries!

@Lannister i think you're good using the adversity prompt for the Chicago secondary. That's what I'm doing!

Okay awesome! I only have to cut it down like 100 words too, not that bad!
I do need to think of a stressful situation I overcame though, because U of I definitely wants something more specific: "Describe a situation in which you were really stressed. Tell us how you dealt with it. Please detail your reaction(s), and how it affected you. If this situation, or a similar one, were to happen again, how would you handle it?"

Okay awesome! I only have to cut it down like 100 words too, not that bad!
I do need to think of a stressful situation I overcame though, because U of I definitely wants something more specific: "Describe a situation in which you were really stressed. Tell us how you dealt with it. Please detail your reaction(s), and how it affected you. If this situation, or a similar one, were to happen again, how would you handle it?"

Gotcha. Hm that is a little different, yeah. Was there a time when you were abroad that you felt stressed? Culture shock? That definitely happened to me!

Well done everyone! Here are my scores.

Chem/Phys: 128 (87%)

CARS: 126 (70%)

Bio: 130 (97%)

Psych/Soc: 130 (97%)

Overall: 514 (91%)

Not happy with CARS. But pretty content overall!

Reactions: 1 users
Gotcha. Hm that is a little different, yeah. Was there a time when you were abroad that you felt stressed? Culture shock? That definitely happened to me!

Hmm yeah maybe I will talk about having to adjust to cultural differences, like being kissed on the cheek by complete strangers lol.

Congrats! Can you share your AAMC practice test scores?
yeah but they are invalid, you'll see why

Taken in December before Kaplan/any studying:
P/C=66% (hadn't taken physics 2 yet)
CARS=89%
BIO=83%
psy/soc=78%

Again in May after kaplan/right before exam (never looked over aamc from december, juts the once right after it)
P/C=97%
CARS=96%
BIO=98%
Psy/soc=88%

For kaplan's I was averaging like... around 505. psy/soc was ALWAYS my worst. don't ask where the 132 came from

yeah but they are invalid, you'll see why

Taken in December before Kaplan/any studying:
P/C=66% (hadn't taken physics 2 yet)
CARS=89%
BIO=83%
psy/soc=78%

Again in May after kaplan/right before exam (never looked over aamc from december, juts the once right after it)
P/C=97%
CARS=96%
BIO=98%
Psy/soc=88%

For kaplan's I was averaging like... around 505. psy/soc was ALWAYS my worst. don't ask where the 132 came from
I have no idea how much of that increase was due to remembering passages. sorry

Just curious, How many of you would attribute your PSYCH/SOC score to taking a formal introductory psych/soc class? or would you just recommending self studying ?

Just curious, How many of you would attribute your PSYCH/SOC score to taking a formal introductory psych/soc class? or would you just recommending self studying ?

I got 97th percentile on psych and it'd attribute it mostly to common sense and the Khan Academy videos. I took psych 101 three years ago and didn't really remember much. Honestly I think people just over think it, the answers are usually super obvious.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, a little advice please.

I got P/S 128, CARS 127, B/B 129, and Psych 125. Overall 509. my scores are really good, except psych which is pulling down my overall score. I got 77-87 prelim and am really blown to be sitting at 80%. Do you guys think 509 is good enough for MD? my resident school is UMD, and im sitting at a 3.3 cGPa, 3.2 sGPA, but a 3.75 post bacc/smp GPA from johns hopkins. with an upward trend from my junior year onward.

I also have really good ECs, but no lab research.

I really feel like I should retake, but idk if it is worth it. Do you guys think I a chance of getting in to maryland?

I got P/S 128, CARS 127, B/B 129, and Psych 125. Overall 509. my scores are really good, except psych which is pulling down my overall score. I got 77-87 prelim and am really blown to be sitting at 80%. Do you guys think 509 is good enough for MD? my resident school is UMD, and im sitting at a 3.3 cGPa, 3.2 sGPA, but a 3.75 post bacc/smp GPA from johns hopkins. with an upward trend from my junior year onward.

I really feel like I should retake, but idk if it is worth it. Do you guys think I a chance of getting in to maryland?

I am not familiar with UMD but anything above a 508 is generally accepted as "good" I believe. People have been quoting 508/509 as the "new 30." You are definitely good enough for MD, I just can't comment on UMD specifically. So long as you aren't shooting for crazy high reaches (e.g. top 20), I think you're fine to not retake.

We are both very similar with our situation. Which program at Hopkins did you do?

I am not familiar with UMD but anything above a 508 is generally accepted as "good" I believe. People have been quoting 508/509 as the "new 30." You are definitely good enough for MD, I just can't comment on UMD specifically. So long as you aren't shooting for crazy high reaches (e.g. top 20), I think you're fine to not retake.
I know maryland's median is a 33. I thought a 509 would be on par with a 31, since both are 80%. I just really hope they dont consider Psych too much, because section by section, I did farely well compared to 2014 test takers.

So I don't think this got picked up last time I mentioned but looking at scores it seem to hold true for all, but the 85-100% prediction sections, is it a trend that they just added +5% up from lower limit of the predicted individual scores? Just thinking for the people currently with preliminary scores.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh I gotcha. Very cool. I have heard good things about that program. I did the Master of Health Science program at Bloomberg.

But I got a 510: 128, 127, 130, and 125.
3.3 GPA as well.

Just applied to 25 schools.

Just realized WashUSTL has its secondary open since a week ago+ and it can be sent in first thing tomorrow - no prewriting done on my part...

Hi all. I just received my scores...it seems I didn't perform well...not even adequate enough to apply to low tier medical schools right? :(

123, 124, 123, 123

Total 493

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-30 at 4.54.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-06-30 at 4.54.45 PM.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 161
Just applied to 25 schools.

Just realized WashUSTL has its secondary open since a week ago+ and it can be sent in first thing tomorrow - no prewriting done on my part...

Oh shoot is this a common thing, where they just post them on their websites? I assumed they would all be emailed to me!