The Official May 22, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fenderboi930

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think many of you will agree that today is a great day to officially prepare for the May 22nd MCAT!!!

I was against the April 2015 MCAT because a typical 3 month schedule doesn't seem to work for
students and/or working test takers. With a little over 4 months of preparation we can go in with confidence!
It's all new and really scary--so let's kick MCAT butt together!!

I was also wondering, wouldn't many professional MCAT test takers and tutors want to take the MCAT 2015 as soon
as possible (April MCAT) so they can better they're material or teaching? Wouldn't that just destroy the curve?

Members don't see this ad.

July scores don't come out until August 18th, and by that point I wonder if this cycle is a write-off. Maybe I should just schedule a later retake, study harder, and assume I'm taking it for next year -___-
Did you already submit your application? If not, I would wait until next year to submit. Take at least a couple of months to really study.

Members don't see this ad :)
so when submitting a photo is optional do we need to do it? I don't have recent professional looking photos...
I've been struggling with this on LinkedIn recently, I don't have any good recent photos of myself where I'm dressed up.

Reactions: 1 user
so when submitting a photo is optional do we need to do it? I don't have recent professional looking photos...

Do you have any photographer friends that could come over and do a headshot? I think it'd be beneficial for adcoms to have a name to the face.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so struggling to answer about a "time I failed" and not making myself look bad
Oh my God I am having issues with this one. I've never really "failed" at stuff so much as I've tripped over myself consistently until things just turned out alright. The only thing I can think of is when I tried to do a PE course with a "recommended preliminary requirement" of "previous competitive experience" and almost passed out in the first class...that and my first MCAT attempt, but seriously, who even wants to hear about the latter? Would the former be an OK topic? lol.

Oh my God I am having issues with this one. I've never really "failed" at stuff so much as I've tripped over myself consistently until things just turned out alright. The only thing I can think of is when I tried to do a PE course with a "recommended preliminary requirement" of "previous competitive experience" and almost passed out in the first class...that and my first MCAT attempt, but seriously, who even wants to hear about the latter? Would the former be an OK topic? lol.
sorry I loled at the first one...if you can spin it in a significant way why not!

I feel like the answer can be super insignificant like not getting a scholarship or something or very serious. idk..

sorry I loled at the first one...if you can spin it in a significant way why not!
The problem was that it didn't require proof and just let you sign up for it. It's funny because I was late to register for classes and it was, like, 10/20 full and I thought "why aren't people signing up for this, it sounds like fun!" *signs up* Nope.... Things I learned: 1) Respect for student athletes. 2) Learn to read.

The problem was that it didn't require proof and just let you sign up for it. It's funny because I was late to register for classes and it was, like, 10/20 full and I thought "why aren't people signing up for this, it sounds like fun!" *signs up* Nope.... Things I learned: 1) Respect for student athletes. 2) Learn to read.
adcoms may appreciate the humor lol

The universe let me be happy and stress free for one day. Then I knelt down on the forest floor, right in a huge patch of poison ivy. WHY.

Reactions: 2 users

I feel like the answer can be super insignificant like not getting a scholarship or something or very serious. idk..

I think they are looking for an example of what you learnd from the failure, rather than the failure itself. So if you learned from the gym class thing, go for it, otherwise I'd pick something else (it can still be funny!). I would probably be careful with the scholarship thing for the same reason. Not much you can learn from not winning a scholarship, other than that you weren't good enough... lol. Unless its something crazy like Rhodes or Truman where you got to interview and learn from other students.

I'll probably write about a time when I failed to be a good friend because I got wrapped up in my own world and was too busy, and what I learned from it.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll probably write about a time when I failed to be a good friend because I got wrapped up in my own world and was too busy, and what I learned from it.
Well thanks for making me feel shallow!! lol. But no that's a really great idea...I got too caught up in external failures rather than something internal. That opens up more possibilities!

its more comfortable posting questions here than in other threads lol
Yeah cuz other people on SDN are meannnn

Everyone: I give you full license to ask the most ******* questions you can think of on this thread, and I won't judge and/or cyber-bully you. :biglove:

Reactions: 3 users
My own stupid question: does anyone know how to pick appropriate schools for our gpa and mcat (for those without 4.0s and 525s :p)? Should we look through MSAR and find something where our stats are around the middle?

My own stupid question: does anyone know how to pick appropriate schools for our gpa and mcat (for those without 4.0s and 525s :p)? Should we look through MSAR and find something where your stats are around the middle?
That is the way I started. I then looked at the schools websites and read WAMC threads with similar stats on what I though I would have. Goro has pretty good standard lists to start if you want to check WAMC.

Hey could you guys help me with my WAMC thread? Really stuck on what schools to apply to. My app was verified today.

Finally verified. My grades and my transcript got messed up in AMCAS and had to submit a change request. BRB going to my dying hole.

Finally submitted for verification. Had to get a transcript exempt thing for my community college as either AMCAS lost the transcript or it never arrived. The community college is supposedly cross registered with my state college (I believe all Vermont state and community colleges are). So hopefully they don't kick it back asking for the transcript anyways. Requested a 2nd transcript already just in case.

Edit: Does anyone think that only being able to submit now will significantly hurt my chances of getting in?

Last edited:
What Happened?

I don't have many classes in my freshman year because they were petitioned off.
They started categorizing some of my SO year as my FR and then some of my JR ended up as my SR and it is really odd and inaccurate.

I don't have many classes in my freshman year because they were petitioned off.
They started categorizing some of my SO year as my FR and then some of my JR ended up as my SR and it is really odd and inaccurate.

Do you think that could be because your FR were petitioned off and they had to consider you a early graduate? If you look at the AMCAS guide, students who graduate within 3 years have to classify courses in a nontraditional manner. Also, why were you classes petitioned off?

Do you think that could be because your FR were petitioned off and they had to consider you a early graduate? If you look at the AMCAS guide, students who graduate within 3 years have to classify courses in a nontraditional manner. Also, why were you classes petitioned off?

I graduated in 5 years. My first year was a mess (personal issues).

In the handbook it says the 4th and 5th year, in my case, are both SR years apparently?

O.k I know this is not the thread for this, but I like the people on this thread so I figured I would ask here.
Word is saying Im under 5300 characters with spaces but when I paste it to a text document and paste into the AMCAS it says Im over. Does anyone know what the problem is? I know Im under 5300 characters.

O.k I know this is not the thread for this, but I like the people on this thread so I figured I would ask here.
Word is saying Im under 5300 characters with spaces but when I paste it to a text document and paste into the AMCAS it says Im over. Does anyone know what the problem is? I know Im under 5300 characters.

I think different systems must count characters differently or something. I typed some of my secondary essays in Word and it said they were like 900 characters, but then when I pasted them into the actual secondary application box, they were only 700. I think you'll just have to shorten it a bit.

I think different systems must count characters differently or something. I typed some of my secondary essays in Word and it said they were like 900 characters, but then when I pasted them into the actual secondary application box, they were only 700. I think you'll just have to shorten it a bit.
dinguses!! (Not you Lannister the AAMC)

I've gotten four secondaries today (Rochester, GWU, Georgetown, MCW), and none of them were ones I had pre-written. Make it stop. This is so overwhelming.

I put them both as sr.

I had the same issue as I transferred colleges after my sophomore year. When I transferred I was put back a semester due to differences in course credit calculations (mostly due to labs...), so on AMCAS I have 3 senior semesters even though technically I had 3 sophomore semesters. I called AMCAS and they were sortof wishy washy but I think that what I did is correct. They told me that it was something they could fix when they review your app, though, so I wouldn't get too caught up about it.

is anyone interested in selling there study materials? specifically practice exams. Could you inbox me please with details, Thanks.