The Official May 22, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fenderboi930

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think many of you will agree that today is a great day to officially prepare for the May 22nd MCAT!!!

I was against the April 2015 MCAT because a typical 3 month schedule doesn't seem to work for
students and/or working test takers. With a little over 4 months of preparation we can go in with confidence!
It's all new and really scary--so let's kick MCAT butt together!!

I was also wondering, wouldn't many professional MCAT test takers and tutors want to take the MCAT 2015 as soon
as possible (April MCAT) so they can better they're material or teaching? Wouldn't that just destroy the curve?

Members don't see this ad.

I do not advise taking physical chemistry with little calculus knowledge. Definitely going to get my first C

Physical Chemistry is the reason I am not a chemistry double major. I didn't want to take it, and they require it junior year at my school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Physical Chemistry is the reason I am not a chemistry double major. I didn't want to take it, and they require it junior year at my school.
My school has calc I and II as pre-reqs, but I've only taken calc 1, and the professor was a hack. He'd tell you the questions to every quiz and test ahead of time, and you could then bring in the answers and just write them on the test and get an A. I don't even know what a calculus question looks like. Then I go to p-chem, and its all this super complicated crap. So, gonna watch every calc video on Khan Academy this week

What happens if you get a bad grade after you get accepted?
As in a C in p-chem

You'll definitely be fine with a C. An F might be an issue, but a C won't be.

I am trying to focus on my anatomy reading but there is new dorm construction going on outside my dorm. Yes, there is construction going on at NINE O'CLOCK AT NIGHT. Ughhhh. This nightmare has been going on for four months now. Case needs to get their **** together and finish this dorm, the people who were supposed to live there this semester are living in hotels right now.

Reactions: 1 user
You'll definitely be fine with a C. An F might be an issue, but a C won't be.

I am trying to focus on my anatomy reading but there is new dorm construction going on outside my dorm. Yes, there is construction going on at NINE O'CLOCK AT NIGHT. Ughhhh. This nightmare has been going on for four months now. Case needs to get their **** together and finish this dorm, the people who were supposed to live there this semester are living in hotels right now.
Hahah, my school had people living in hotels for a while at one point as well.

And yeah, I'm just freaking the **** out about this class. The calculus in the class is pretty advanced and I have essentially no calculus foundation. My organic professor/mentor (not the p-chem professor) said she'd tutor me in it if I can't do it, which will help hopefully. Also, just found out my new suite-mate is a math major in calc 3.

Also, I was reading some old threads, and I don't understand why taking hard classes as a senior is looked at as a bad decision. Couldn't it also be looked at as someone trying to challenge themselves? or pursuing a major they enjoy (as is my case)?

Hahah, my school had people living in hotels for a while at one point as well.

And yeah, I'm just freaking the **** out about this class. The calculus in the class is pretty advanced and I have essentially no calculus foundation. My organic professor/mentor (not the p-chem professor) said she'd tutor me in it if I can't do it, which will help hopefully. Also, just found out my new suite-mate is a math major in calc 3.

Also, I was reading some old threads, and I don't understand why taking hard classes as a senior is looked at as a bad decision. Couldn't it also be looked at as someone trying to challenge themselves? or pursuing a major they enjoy (as is my case)?

Calculus really isn't that hard, once you get the hang of it. I didn't take p-chem, what calculus does it involve?
I recommend using Paul's Online Math Notes (http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/), it's a really great resource.

I am literally bouncing with excitement. Tomorrow morning I am going to skip class to go see Hillary Clinton speak, and then in the evening I've got floor seats to a One Direction concert!!! This shall be the best birthday weekend everrrr.

Reactions: 1 users
I am literally bouncing with excitement. Tomorrow morning I am going to skip class to go see Hillary Clinton speak, and then in the evening I've got floor seats to a One Direction concert!!! This shall be the best birthday weekend everrrr.
I thought you were conservative? or do you figure you will just focus your whole night on "entertainment."

I thought you were conservative? or do you figure you will just focus your whole night on "entertainment."

I am! But I still enjoy listening to the opposing side's views :D Hahaha

'Didn't you do something with the Clintons before?

Yeah I volunteered for Clinton Global Initiative America a few summers ago! It was really cool, even though I don't support their political agenda they do good work with their non-profit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yayyy lanny happy birthday! (Early or belated haha)

I'm still on the struggle bus with the class schedule - one of the reasons I hate beginnings of semesters!

Calculus really isn't that hard, once you get the hang of it. I didn't take p-chem, what calculus does it involve?
I recommend using Paul's Online Math Notes (http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/), it's a really great resource.
So fat, derivatives, partial derivatives, and integrals. I'm going to try to put a lot of work into learning it on my own in the next couple weeks

So fat, derivatives, partial derivatives, and integrals. I'm going to try to put a lot of work into learning it on my own in the next couple weeks

Yeah you should be able to learn that stuff on your own! Once you get derivatives down, partial derivatives are super easy. I have faith in you :D

Edit: And if you ever need help, let me know! I took calc 1-3 and TA'd Calc I for a year.

What happens if you get a bad grade after you get accepted?
As in a C in p-chem

I was in a class last year with a guy who got accepted to medical school. He said they just require that you get at least a C+ (or something like that) in every class and they wont take back your acceptance

Yeah you should be able to learn that stuff on your own! Once you get derivatives down, partial derivatives are super easy. I have faith in you :D

Edit: And if you ever need help, let me know! I took calc 1-3 and TA'd Calc I for a year.
Thanks! I had a math major explain some stuff to me and it wasn't too bad. I understand basic derivatives, partials, integrals, and the chain rule now. All the online stuff I looked at made it way too complicated. The difficult part now is learning how to apply it all to physics and chemistry topics. My professor says that some problems will take up to 8 hours :/

I was in a class last year with a guy who got accepted to medical school. He said they just require that you get at least a C+ (or something like that) in every class and they wont take back your acceptance
I'm praying for a C, haha. I think most places will be pretty lenient with one C. lower than that, maybe not

So if there was one where I could use to describe the entire day, it was relaxed. I never really felt that I was under the gun at any point, and most of the interviews felt like very good conversations. Ultimately, I got the impression that both the faculty, students, and staff are really in to the mission of the school and very passionate about it. I also really enjoyed how all of the applicants were very friendly and got to know each other, it was really good to have that experience!

@Glazedonutlove

Reactions: 3 users
So if there was one where I could use to describe the entire day, it was relaxed. I never really felt that I was under the gun at any point, and most of the interviews felt like very good conversations. Ultimately, I got the impression that both the faculty, students, and staff are really in to the mission of the school and very passionate about it. I also really enjoyed how all of the applicants were very friendly and got to know each other, it was really good to have that experience!

@Glazedonutlove
Happy it went so well!! Mines coming up soon...:scared:

What job???

I've only gotten to squeeze that breathing bag thing.
I work for a skin cancer surgeon. We do a special technique for Basal Cell and Squamous Cell Skin Cancers.

meep unless you're a nurse (EDIT: or EMT? Maybe?) I wouldn't want to be that patient... don't tell anyone about this during interviews ever lol
Well...I wasn't suturing per se, but I did sew in a bandage that we put in whenever we use a skin graft for the repair.
Exciting regardless.

@panda16 are you updating schools on schedule changes?

Also all Indiana people! @Flashfan (and others) - do you not get to choose an interview date for IU before submitting supplementary?

Last edited:
I chose when I got the two emails I believe. One had a portal to choose the location and the other linked the graduate school application. I submitted them both at the same time.

I interviewed at SIU earlier today. I was really impressed; it looks like an awesome school.

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed at SIU earlier today. I was really impressed; it looks like an awesome school.
Are you from Southern Illinois? It seems like a great school, but since it wants a specific type, it is not well-known.

Are you from Southern Illinois? It seems like a great school, but since it wants a specific type, it is not well-known.
Yep, from around the STL area. SIU is super super big on PBL alongside week 1 clinical experiences, plus an abundance of research opportunities starting the summer after year 1. They've got it all! But yeah, if you're not from Southern Illinois, I think it's really hard to get a secondary and then an interview.

Case just sent me ANOTHER anesthesia assistant email. I GET IT, CASE. I DIDN'T EVEN APPLY TO YOU LEAVEMEALONE. lol

Reactions: 7 users
Case just sent me ANOTHER anesthesia assistant email. I GET IT, CASE. I DIDN'T EVEN APPLY TO YOU LEAVEMEALONE. lol

Haha. Just got the same one again too.

Also, got my first II last night! Interviewing on September 12 at the UofA. Super stoked.

Reactions: 6 users