The Official May 22, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fenderboi930

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think many of you will agree that today is a great day to officially prepare for the May 22nd MCAT!!!

I was against the April 2015 MCAT because a typical 3 month schedule doesn't seem to work for
students and/or working test takers. With a little over 4 months of preparation we can go in with confidence!
It's all new and really scary--so let's kick MCAT butt together!!

I was also wondering, wouldn't many professional MCAT test takers and tutors want to take the MCAT 2015 as soon
as possible (April MCAT) so they can better they're material or teaching? Wouldn't that just destroy the curve?

Members don't see this ad.

#bestboyfriendever

8e87f108ad403fbaf3d603a3f1e2d0a5.png

Out of curiosity, how do you think all of your grades are going to turn out this semester and next? If accepted somewhere, does senior year GPA really matter as long as it's not all C's or B's?

yea they specifically say no one from admissions is there so I'm just like... can I chill and finish this pizza/ continue to freak out in peace...

ugh but I know I'll end up going lol

@flyer04 did you just go in jeans? I mean I don't really have an option but if everyone's going to be wearing frilly dresses and khakis then I'm staying home

I, as a guy, went business casual. Just some grey dress pants and a light blue shirt. But there was a variety. There were people with ties, girls in skirts, girls and guys in jeans and everything in between. If it says casual it really does mean casual. I felt fine with how I dressed, but I was definitely over dressed. Lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I, as a guy, went business casual. Just some grey dress pants and a light blue shirt. But there was a variety. There were people with ties, girls in skirts, girls and guys in jeans and everything in between. If it says casual it really does mean casual. I felt fine with how I dressed, but I was definitely over dressed. Lol.
I as a girl ended up falling asleep bc I was so tired. Ah well better focus for tomorrow!

Woohoo, another II! Hoping to get a third cause of that whole "3 makes an MD" statistics lesson. But also just hoping to get an Oct 15th acceptance after my interview this month and then be all "1 makes an MD" suckas!!!!! :zip::banana::zip::banana::zip:

Reactions: 4 users
Woohoo, another II! Hoping to get a third cause of that whole "3 makes an MD" statistics lesson. But also just hoping to get an Oct 15th acceptance after my interview this month and then be all "1 makes an MD" suckas!!!!! :zip::banana::zip::banana::zip:

Nice! Hoping for an early acceptance myself to be done with this anxiety! Where is your second interview at?

Yeah really hoping for an October 15 acceptance too that would be a massive weight off

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Jeeze, I think I'd cry if I got in half way through this semester. Too bad one school I'm interviewing at isn't rolling, haha

Does MSAR say if they are rolling? The only one I know that is non-rolling is Yale and I'm sure I have already been silently rejected there haha.

Ah, I didn't apply to Pitt. I hate that there are so many schools that don't reject until like March.

What is this 3 makes an MD stats lesson?! I searched it but didn't' find anything.

I don't know if you guys even remember me or not but I entirely went AWOL because I hated my MCAT score. I applied to 26 schools. 12 MD, 14 Do. Absolutely NOTHING from DO schools but I have 3 MD II. Strange right??

Anyway.. I am digging the 3 MD stat. I am intrigued.

It has something to do with the probably of getting into any one school with an II. I think it's like, if the probability of getting into a med school is 1/3 with an II, than the probability of getting into one medical school given three IIs is 3(1/3)-3(1/9)+(1/27)=.70, so you have a 70% chance with 3 schools all with 1/3 acceptance rates of IIs. Obviously we're making some assumptions here, but that's the general layout.

I just like to look at the chart on WAMC and believe in my corresponding percentage because it gives me hope, haha

Ahhhh. So many exams before my interview. Really hoping I don't get stumped on a strange, non-ethics related MMI question

Just got my fourth rejection, from Boston. Really starting to get bummed out by this constant stream of rejections with only one II. =/

Just got my fourth rejection, from Boston. Really starting to get bummed out by this constant stream of rejections with only one II. =/
You're gonna get there, for sure. Keep your chin up! Plus you're going to rock the Case interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an interview at Iowa. I am actually pretty excited by this one. Best thing, it is on my fall break, so I don't have to miss any school.

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry for bringing up the MCAT, especially since you guys are way past that, but I had to ask here since you all have finished it.

Would you recommend doing the Khan Academy passages? I plan on doing the biology and psych/soc passages since I hear they are good. I'm wondering if you guys felt the Physics/Chem ones were useful as well? Any insight would be appreciated. Also did anyone use TPR science workbook and/or TBR passages? Thanks

Sorry for bringing up the MCAT, especially since you guys are way past that, but I had to ask here since you all have finished it.

Would you recommend doing the Khan Academy passages? I plan on doing the biology and psych/soc passages since I hear they are good. I'm wondering if you guys felt the Physics/Chem ones were useful as well? Any insight would be appreciated. Also did anyone use TPR science workbook and/or TBR passages? Thanks
yes, I did a ton of khan academy passages and I thought they were extremely helpful

yes, I did a ton of khan academy passages and I thought they were extremely helpful

Thank you. I really appreciate it. Plan on doing all of them now. Was somewhat apprehensive about doing the Chem/Physics ones since I hear mixed things, but might as well do them. I'm definitely going to do the Psych/Soc + Bio ones. Did you do passages for all these different sections or did you focus on a few sections in particular?

Good luck this cycle too if you are applying and same to everyone else.

I found the bio passages really helpful and I think they improved my score a lot. But for chem/physics, I was getting almost every question on the Khan passages correct, and then totally bombed that section of the MCAT, so I dunno how helpful they are.

I used the EK question books and read the TPR books. TPR had some passages at the ends of the chapters that were 100x more difficult than the MCAT. They're FL practice tests were good though, and some books come with codes to get those online. I really liked the EK Bio book (about 50:50 passages and free-standing) and the EK Verbal book. The Chemistry and physics books were okay. The physics book had no passages. I don't recall if the chem ones had passages or not. But they were useful for practicing concepts after readings. Make sure to do the biochem stuff on khan academy to refresh yourself. Get all AAMC practice material, but don't do them until your done with all the readings/studying.

Thank you. I really appreciate it. Plan on doing all of them now. Was somewhat apprehensive about doing the Chem/Physics ones since I hear mixed things, but might as well do them. I'm definitely going to do the Psych/Soc + Bio ones. Did you do passages for all these different sections or did you focus on a few sections in particular?

Good luck this cycle too if you are applying and same to everyone else.
The biochem were what helped me the most. I didn't look at psych/soc as much, but I used to be a psych nurse so I didn't feel I needed to. You have to focus on your own weakness.

Have any of you guys read the worst interview answers thread? Some of them are hilarious! And actually kind of decent interview prep.

Reactions: 2 users
that thread was my mcat study breaks lol

also I know we all say we will fail this semester but is anyone else actually thinking it's a real possibility

that thread was my mcat study breaks lol

also I know we all say we will fail this semester but is anyone else actually thinking it's a real possibility
I have one professor who just told everyone that "we probably won't get the grades were used to in this class." Exam is on Wednesday, and my available studying time has not been ideal. He also said that we'd have a curve at the end though, so I have no idea what to expect. I'll feel bad for anyone who actually gets in A on an exam in in this class. I've gotten a lot of crap for "ruining the curve" in classes that don't actually curve, so I'd hate to see people's reactions when the curve is real.

Fortunately, he did tell me and one other student that we shouldn't get a C (which would ruin her scholarship and possibly result in rescinding an admission for me), and my organic professor/mentor told me that I should get an A. So yeah. I have no clue what will happen, and the professor being new this year doesn't help.

Last edited:
Professors/classes like that are bizarre. There is just no way to guess how you're doing. I try to always expect no curve then be pleasantly surprised if one shows up. That saved me in Gen Chem freshman year! :D

Professors/classes like that are bizarre. There is just no way to guess how you're doing. I try to always expect no curve then be pleasantly surprised if one shows up. That saved me in Gen Chem freshman year! :D
Haha, this will be my first curved class, so I have no clue what to expect. If one person, including myself, gets an A, it can ruin it for others. That isn't to say people shouldn't try for an A, if they can, then good for them. I'll still try my best, obviously. But the professor made it pretty explicit that no one should get an A.

I don't even know what a curved class really is. I've had classes where an 85 was an A and people call that a curve. I've had classes where only 15% of the class gets an A and people call that a curve too.

I don't even know what a curved class really is. I've had classes where an 85 was an A and people call that a curve. I've had classes where only 15% of the class gets an A and people call that a curve too.
Haha, the latter sounds like a bad curve (unless it's expected that most people will do bad)

Haha, the latter sounds like a bad curve (unless it's expected that most people will do bad)

I had two classes like that, ochem 1 and one of my required writing seminars.
For ochem, I was getting like 20% on most of the exams and I got a B in the class lol.

I had two classes like that, ochem 1 and one of my required writing seminars.
For ochem, I was getting like 20% on most of the exams and I got a B in the class lol.
That's exactly how the other ochem class at my school was. I took it with the other professor thankfully. Such unneeded stress in an already stressful class!

Haha, this will be my first curved class, so I have no clue what to expect. If one person, including myself, gets an A, it can ruin it for others. That isn't to say people shouldn't try for an A, if they can, then good for them. I'll still try my best, obviously. But the professor made it pretty explicit that no one should get an A.

Sometimes professors mean different things when they say "curve." Does s/he mean that the top person will get 100% and everyone else's grade will be increased as much as theirs was? I only had one exam in one class that was curved like that. For other classes, professors would typically curve the average up to 75%. So if the average grade was 70%, everyone would get 5 percentage points added to their grade. I've never had a prof curve the average down, but one of my friends had a class like that. Other professors would lower the standard for an A (to 87% instead of 93%, for example). Then there is the dreaded bell curve. Depending on the type of "curve," you getting an A might not hurt other people's grade much. If it does, that sucks, but that's why I never tell people my grades IRL. If they ask how you did on an exam, just say, "oh, I did ok" or "I'm happy with it." If outright asked, just say you don't feel comfortable sharing and change the subject.