The Official May 22, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fenderboi930

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think many of you will agree that today is a great day to officially prepare for the May 22nd MCAT!!!

I was against the April 2015 MCAT because a typical 3 month schedule doesn't seem to work for
students and/or working test takers. With a little over 4 months of preparation we can go in with confidence!
It's all new and really scary--so let's kick MCAT butt together!!

I was also wondering, wouldn't many professional MCAT test takers and tutors want to take the MCAT 2015 as soon
as possible (April MCAT) so they can better they're material or teaching? Wouldn't that just destroy the curve?

Members don't see this ad.

Sometimes professors mean different things when they say "curve." Does s/he mean that the top person will get 100% and everyone else's grade will be increased as much as theirs was? I only had one exam in one class that was curved like that. For other classes, professors would typically curve the average up to 75%. So if the average grade was 70%, everyone would get 5 percentage points added to their grade. I've never had a prof curve the average down, but one of my friends had a class like that. Other professors would lower the standard for an A (to 87% instead of 93%, for example). Then there is the dreaded bell curve. Depending on the type of "curve," you getting an A might not hurt other people's grade much. If it does, that sucks, but that's why I never tell people my grades IRL. If they ask how you did on an exam, just say, "oh, I did ok" or "I'm happy with it." If outright asked, just say you don't feel comfortable sharing and change the subject.

I had a friend who was curved down. He had a 94 average in the class, but since there were around 500 kids, he ended up getting a B+. Pretty ridiculous

Sometimes professors mean different things when they say "curve." Does s/he mean that the top person will get 100% and everyone else's grade will be increased as much as theirs was? I only had one exam in one class that was curved like that. For other classes, professors would typically curve the average up to 75%. So if the average grade was 70%, everyone would get 5 percentage points added to their grade. I've never had a prof curve the average down, but one of my friends had a class like that. Other professors would lower the standard for an A (to 87% instead of 93%, for example). Then there is the dreaded bell curve. Depending on the type of "curve," you getting an A might not hurt other people's grade much. If it does, that sucks, but that's why I never tell people my grades IRL. If they ask how you did on an exam, just say, "oh, I did ok" or "I'm happy with it." If outright asked, just say you don't feel comfortable sharing and change the subject.
My class has 6 people in it, and they will straight up look at your score. My school's always been like that. Or the professor will say the highest grade and someone will assume you got the highest grade (which was usually true in orgo), so they find out that way. Basically, the science department at my school is small so everyone knows everything about everyone.

I had a friend who was curved down. He had a 94 average in the class, but since there were around 500 kids, he ended up getting a B+. Pretty ridiculous

Yeah, my friend had an A until the curve, which took him down to an A-. Not the end of the world, but definitely frustrating when you think you earned an A!

My class has 6 people in it, and they will straight up look at your score. My school's always been like that. Or the professor will say the highest grade and someone will assume you got the highest grade (which was usually true in orgo), so they find out that way. Basically, the science department at my school is small so everyone knows everything about everyone.

Wow, that really sucks. My high school was like that (with everyone knowing everyone else's grades) and I hated it. I've never had a class smaller than 20-25 people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, that really sucks. My high school was like that (with everyone knowing everyone else's grades) and I hated it. I've never had a class smaller than 20-25 people.
Yeah, it gets pretty annoying. Especially when people try to suggests that you don't have to try. And it's like, excuse me, but I studied my ass off for that A in organic

Yeah, it gets pretty annoying. Especially when people try to suggests that you don't have to try. And it's like, excuse me, but I studied my ass off for that A in organic

Yeah, or suggest that you're some kind of weirdo for scoring well. At least, that was my high school experience.

Reactions: 1 user

That really sucks... I'm pretty sure that's against university policy at my school.

Yeah, or suggest that you're some kind of weirdo for scoring well. At least, that was my high school experience.
Yeah, in high school getting good grades was seen as being a teacher's pet try-hard. I love my undergrad though, everyone here understands that studying is important and won't give you crap for it. I really don't miss high school.

Yeah, in high school getting good grades was seen as being a teacher's pet try-hard. I love my undergrad though, everyone here understands that studying is important and won't give you crap for it. I really don't miss high school.
Lol, wish my undergrad was the same

So, I have a class with two people in it (including myself). I'm supposed to do these readings and problems that will take forever. Unfortunately, I haven't had any time to study for an exam in another class that I will probably do very poorly on if I do that other class' homework. Would you do the homework and do bad on the exam? Or would you study for the exam and look like an ass in that class?

So, I have a class with two people in it (including myself). I'm supposed to do these readings and problems that will take forever. Unfortunately, I haven't had any time to study for an exam in another class that I will probably do very poorly on if I do that other class' homework. Would you do the homework and do bad on the exam? Or would you study for the exam and look like an ass in that class?

Study for the exam and look like an ass!

Reactions: 1 users
Study for the exam and look like an ass!
That's what I've bee thinking, haha. But the professor in the 2-person class is like my pre-med mentor, and I don't want to disappoint them, haha. She'll probably understand though. I think I'll try to go through it real quick so I have some stuff written down at least.

That's what I've bee thinking, haha. But the professor in the 2-person class is like my pre-med mentor, and I don't want to disappoint them, haha. She'll probably understand though. I think I'll try to go through it real quick so I have some stuff written down at least

Yeah just apologize and let them know at the beginning of class that you couldn't spend a lot of time on the readings. It sucks not having readings done though, it's kind of embarrassing. Especially in a two person class Haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah just apologize and let them know at the beginning of class that you couldn't spend a lot of time on the readings. It sucks not having readings done though, it's kind of embarrassing. Especially in a two person class Haha.
Haha I know. I feel kinda bad because I've hardly had time for that class as it is. I'm going to re-read everything and do all the problems again over break to make up for it (and so I actually do well on that exam when it comes, haha).

What I really need to do is not work 18 hours a week on top of all my other stuff, but my job is always understaffed and we have this 2-shift minimum policy thing.

Haha I know. I feel kinda bad because I've hardly had time for that class as it is. I'm going to re-read everything and do all the problems again over break to make up for it (and so I actually do well on that exam when it comes, haha).

What I really need to do is not work 18 hours a week on top of all my other stuff, but my job is always understaffed and we have this 2-shift minimum policy thing.

Yeah ~20 hours of work per week is a lot, as I'm finding out this semester. I'm lucky I have an easy schedule, I don't think I could have handled working this much last year or sophomore year.
What's your job?

Yeah ~20 hours of work per week is a lot, as I'm finding out this semester. I'm lucky I have an easy schedule, I don't think I could have handled working this much last year or sophomore year.
What's your job?
I'm a scribe. I love the hospital and doctors I work with, and they've been super helpful. I don't like the company I work for though (we're contracted employees, not hospital employees). I've worked one day every other week in the past, but it takes a lot of arguing with my boss.

I'm at the point we're I asked to take my birthday off (its on a weekend and I only work Saturday and Sunday) just to have more time to catch up on school work.

Last edited:
I'm a scribe. I love the hospital and doctors I work with, and they've been super helpful. I don't like the company I work for though (we're contracted employees, not hospital employees). I've worked one day every other week in the past, but it takes a lot of arguing with my boss.

I'm at the point we're I asked to take my birthday off (its on a weekend and I only work Saturday and Sunday) just to have more time to catch up on school work.

Aww :( Yeah Scribe jobs sound really time consuming.

Hey guys. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on when it's appropriate to contact a school about silence since completion date. I haven't heard anything from a lot of schools for two months now. Is this normal? Or should I start making some calls?

Hey guys. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on when it's appropriate to contact a school about silence since completion date. I haven't heard anything from a lot of schools for two months now. Is this normal? Or should I start making some calls?

I personally would never contact them about silence, to me that would seem very annoying and neurotic. They'll get to you when they get to you, I guess. And a lot of schools don't reject till next spring and you will hear nothing until then. So I'd say it's normal.

I personally would never contact them about silence, to me that would seem very annoying and neurotic. They'll get to you when they get to you, I guess. And a lot of schools don't reject till next spring and you will hear nothing until then. So I'd say it's normal.

Yeah I'm very skeptical about calling as well. Cuz I don't want to be annoying. I just had a buddy of mine that called one of his schools and it turned out his app got over looked, then they put it back into where it was suppose to be and he got an II shortly after. Probably rare. But was weighing on my mind so I thought I would ask. Haha.

call if it's past the date they said they would get back to you. if they said it would be 4 weeks and it's been like months then yes call lol

Yeah I'm very skeptical about calling as well. Cuz I don't want to be annoying. I just had a buddy of mine that called one of his schools and it turned out his app got over looked, then they put it back into where it was suppose to be and he got an II shortly after. Probably rare. But was weighing on my mind so I thought I would ask. Haha.
yup this happened to me, got the ii the next day

yup this happened to me, got the ii the next day

Yeah. That terrifies me! Haha. What school was it? I doubt I applied to it because we are in completely different statistic zones and your applying to much better schools than I am. But just in case I did. Haha.

Yeah, I was really hoping for some good news this week. At least it was a reach school and not somewhere that I'm more competitive at

Yep. Rejected at Pitt as well. At least I have an answer. Truthfully, I am not surprised nor do I feel bad.

Yeah, I was really hoping for some good news this week. At least it was a reach school and not somewhere that I'm more competitive at

Hopefully we will both hear some good news this week or next week! I know I am definitely in need of some.

Yup, rejected at Pitt, too haha. Also, I told myself I wouldn't do this, but there's one school I'm getting a little too obsessed with and desperately want to get accepted there. Also I'm nervous about the interview because I'm almost too interested in the school :bookworm:

Yup, rejected at Pitt, too haha. Also, I told myself I wouldn't do this, but there's one school I'm getting a little too obsessed with and desperately want to get accepted there. Also I'm nervous about the interview because I'm almost too interested in the school :bookworm:
I'm doing the same thing with a couple schools

Also do u guys feel that you love every school you are interviewing at

I'm doing the same thing with a couple schools

Also do u guys feel that you love every school you are interviewing at
If I get accepted at this school I would lose it :eek: but my second interview recently didn't impress me at all, which was pretty disappointing.

OMG you guyzzz.... 179 pages?! I abandoned ship here after we all got our MCAT scores o_O LUL