The Official May 22, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fenderboi930

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think many of you will agree that today is a great day to officially prepare for the May 22nd MCAT!!!

I was against the April 2015 MCAT because a typical 3 month schedule doesn't seem to work for
students and/or working test takers. With a little over 4 months of preparation we can go in with confidence!
It's all new and really scary--so let's kick MCAT butt together!!

I was also wondering, wouldn't many professional MCAT test takers and tutors want to take the MCAT 2015 as soon
as possible (April MCAT) so they can better they're material or teaching? Wouldn't that just destroy the curve?

Members don't see this ad.

after so much hard work, I would take the rest of the weekend off
I think I will in a bit. I am going to a friendsgiving in a few hours, so that will be a good time. Currently looking up volunteer opportunities in Baltimore, trying to bolster my volunteer hours if I do have to do that reapp.

I think I will in a bit. I am going to a friendsgiving in a few hours, so that will be a good time. Currently looking up volunteer opportunities in Baltimore, trying to bolster my volunteer hours if I do have to do that reapp.
we are doing that too before everyone goes home! do you volunteer at the jhu hospital?

we are doing that too before everyone goes home! do you volunteer at the jhu hospital?
Before I started grad school last year, I went through the application process to become one and then wasn't able to do it because grad school got so heavy so quickly. So I am looking in to see if they still have my application and go from there. I think I am going to look into applying to Big Brothers Big Sisters in Baltimore. I am torn between trying to increase my clinical volunteering or straight up doing community service. Because I work so much during the week, it will have to be on the weekends.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I finally snapped and told my loud suite mates to shut the **** up. Why does being a bad person feel so good sometimes?

Reactions: 1 users
:claps:
being assertive and have boundaries =/= bad
being a doormat =/= good

True.
Lol I walked out of my room naked to ask them to stop yelling, not realizing they were with their boyfriends. But that's just icing on the cake.

icing for you or for them? :p

For me Hahaha. I don't care if they see me naked but I feel like they're very immature and it would probably make them super uncomfortable.

Although I feel kinda bad, one of their boyfriends is actually a super nice dude, even if he does leave pubic hair all over my shower.

TMI :slap:
For me Hahaha. I don't care if they see me naked but I feel like they're very immature and it would probably make them super uncomfortable.

Although I feel kinda bad, one of their boyfriends is actually a super nice dude, even if he does leave pubic hair all over my shower.

Oh an F#&% Wake I really despise schools that do not accept community college transfers because that policy is based on such B.S. logic.
It also discriminates against many disadvantaged students and applicants that need to take the community college route.
but some md and almost all do schools accept them right

Members don't see this ad :)
but some md and almost all do schools accept them right
Yes the vast majority including Stanford and most Ivy's do accept CC credits while not viewing them as a disadvantage . Actually, all schools will technically accept CC credits, but some schools like Wake and North Western have language in their admissions policy that say something to effect of "We recommend all pre-recs be taken at a four year institution in order to make your application as competitive as possible."
Wake's explains this policy by with this statement "We cannot verify the quality of the instruction at these institutions" However, this is B.S. because CC's go through the exact same accreditation process as all four year schools, CC students also take the same upper division classes once they transfer and take the same MCAT exam. Also how does Wake plan on verifying the quality of the instruction at the several thousand four year institutions in the U.S.?
That being said. Attending a community college will not keep you from going to medical school. However, there are a few schools that have a very ignorant and elitist view when it comes to community college.

I took a couple summer class at a cc that my school didn't offer, and an older faculty member I interviewed with seemed offended by it.

Last night, a 1st year PA student told me she knew as much as a 3rd year medical student because they have to learn in 2 years what a med student does in 4...

Not trying to bash mid levels, just her

Last night, a 1st year PA student told me she knew as much as a 3rd year medical student because they have to learn in 2 years what a med student does in 4...

Not trying to bash mid levels, just her

That's absolutely absurd. Haha. I know there are great PAs and nurse practitioners, but most tend to rub me the wrong way. Especially those undergrad students that are Pre PA and only want to do it because it's shorter and easier. Their goals are so short sighted. Lol

Last edited:
some premeds took and did not so well on the mcat and now they are pre-pa. Most of them are wonderful people, but a couple gloat about how they will have such a better family life and a good pay compared to us premeds :rolleyes:
I am surrounded by pr-DO students that ridicule me for my "outdated" methods that I will be learning. :boom:

Do any of you talk about this group? I caught myself saying how sad I was that someone had been put on hold, and everyone assumed it was a friend from high school. I didn't tell them that you were my internet friends.

Reactions: 2 users
I am surrounded by pr-DO students that ridicule me for my "outdated" methods that I will be learning. :boom:
nm
Really?
There are some great DO schools and I know some DO's that are great doctors but that crap is just petty.

Do any of you talk about this group? I caught myself saying how sad I was that someone had been put on hold, and everyone assumed it was a friend from high school. I didn't tell them that you were my internet friends.
lol I have too and then I realized..
idk something about being able to whine anonymously to people who are going through the same thing has its appeal

Reactions: 3 users
My state just opened a new DO school a couple of years ago. I like DO myself and would have applied next year if I hadn't gotten in, but some have really tasted the Kool-Aid. The rep from the new school has come to our pre-med meetings four times in the last two years.

Oh I have absolutely done this. I have no regrets about it either!

Starting to get frustrated with this process! Still deferred at Umich, although they're accepting way less IS applicants at this point than they have in past years so hopefully there will be more deferred students accepted this year. I have a total of 5 interviews, 4 of them done and 1 in January. Still nothing! I just really hope I'm not that person who has 5 interviews and 0 acceptances!

Starting to get frustrated with this process! Still deferred at Umich, although they're accepting way less IS applicants at this point than they have in past years so hopefully there will be more deferred students accepted this year. I have a total of 5 interviews, 4 of them done and 1 in January. Still nothing! I just really hope I'm not that person who has 5 interviews and 0 acceptances!
when are you supposed to hear back from those 4 schools?

For schools with non rolling admissions, are people who interview later in the cycle still at a slight disadvantage?

Ahh I was curious because I have to reschedule one of my interviews at a non rolling school and would kinda suck to be at a slight disadvantage because of rescheduling it at the end of the interview cycle.

Well I'm about to make the 12 hour drive home for thanksgiving! It's going to be fun tonight. Any suggestions for podcasts or audiobooks?

@raiderette yep Radiolab is awesome! Thanks for the suggestions. It's a broad range of topics so it has kept my interest the entire drive. 4 more hours!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, and safe travels!
My flight is in four hours, I'm so excited to go home.