The Official May 22, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fenderboi930

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think many of you will agree that today is a great day to officially prepare for the May 22nd MCAT!!!

I was against the April 2015 MCAT because a typical 3 month schedule doesn't seem to work for
students and/or working test takers. With a little over 4 months of preparation we can go in with confidence!
It's all new and really scary--so let's kick MCAT butt together!!

I was also wondering, wouldn't many professional MCAT test takers and tutors want to take the MCAT 2015 as soon
as possible (April MCAT) so they can better they're material or teaching? Wouldn't that just destroy the curve?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
But finding STD's on tinder is easy. J.k. A friend of mine at UC Davis SOM told me recently he posted pics on tinder with his white coat and his match rate went up exponentially.

Oh I saw we were talking about puppies. I have none but my parents own a doberman, a ****zu and a boxer.
Because I can't own a dog at the moment I just go to my mothers for my puppy fix.
They had a pug for a while but he passed a couple of years ago. Pugs are cut but our pugs vet bills were like a full year of med school tuition. He was seriously allergic to everything.
Wait we were talking about dogs? My dog is THE BEST. IMG_1995.JPG IMG_2186.JPG IMG_2133.JPG

Edit: Don't worry, she only wore those stupid booties once. My boyfriend is over-protective.

Good luck Lanny.
Pay attention. Its easier to get lost in that building than you would think.

Congrats @Glazedonutlove and go get them Lanny!!!

Sending positive vibes to Lanny right now!

Thanks guys! I think the interviews went very well and I liked the school a lot more than I thought it would. It would be a really hard choice between UIC and Cincinnati.

Are you at home tonight or staying in a hotel?

Home! I decided to stay till Saturday evening and I'm really glad I did cuz I am absolutely exhausted right now.

Reactions: 3 users
Aw I'm sorry. Would you have gone there over Chicago?
Not a chance lol I just like keeping my May 22 fam updated

Also, not that NYU isn't awesome... but this cycle is teaching me so much about accepting things. Like, these schools really are just looking for the right fit. Like, I woulda been surprised that Chicago and Wash U both accepted but not NYU, since I would consider them more competitive (and NYU has a small instate bias). But when you look at their mission statements, I really don't fit in with NYU. Its been a good, learning experience for me. I'm really satisfied with the way everything worked out.

Reactions: 5 users

Also, not that NYU isn't awesome... but this cycle is teaching me so much about accepting things. Like, these schools really are just looking for the right fit. Like, I woulda been surprised that Chicago and Wash U both accepted but not NYU, since I would consider them more competitive (and NYU has a small instate bias). But when you look at their mission statements, I really don't fit in with NYU. Its been a good, learning experience for me. I'm really satisfied with the way everything worked out.
How would you say you liked Wash U? Just curious what other people thought of the school.

Reactions: 1 user

I totally agree with you. Each school is trying to make a cohesive class of students, not just pick a bunch of all stars. You have no idea how they see your application as fitting into that group or not. I hope to sit on an Adcom someday just to see how it all works!

Reactions: 1 users

Totally agree! Although it's probably a lot easier to think this way when you've got a super competitive app and a ton of acceptances, vs just one lol. I'll love any school that accepts me.

Guys I was taking a nap in my childhood bedroom and when I woke up, my parents had taken all the furniture out of my bedroom and sold it to people from Craigslist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Idk between Pitt nyu and northwestern. What do you guys think?
I either haven't heard back from, was rejected at or didn't apply to those schools haha so I don't have much insight. But I have family members who either went to or taught at Northwestern and they really love the school and the area.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I think the interviews went very well and I liked the school a lot more than I thought it would. It would be a really hard choice between UIC and Cincinnati.

Home! I decided to stay till Saturday evening and I'm really glad I did cuz I am absolutely exhausted right now.

Are you staying at that hotel across from Rush?
I stayed there and foo is ridiculously expensive.

How would you say you liked Wash U? Just curious what other people thought of the school.
it was pretty cool! Small tight knit classes. Sort of competitive feel though. St. Louis is sweet. I like Chicago better. The facilities are realllly top notch.

I think you will be fine. The new environment and rush of starting med school will re-energize us.
If that does not work. Getting the first quiz back should do the trick.

Last edited:
I am assuming I am just interviewing at Loyola for the waitlist. Final pooled at Iowa. I am assuming state school for me. It is funny, I thought I interviewed well.

All about fit guys.
If you are fortunate enough to have multiple acceptances than how each school aligns with your career goals should be a major part of the decision process.
@Glazedonutlove if a big part NW's mission is something you have no interest in than you should consider your other choices.
How does Pitt's mission align with the type of doctor you want to be?

Lol guys everyone go to school in Chicago!! It would actually be awesome to start med school already knowing you guys will be there :p we would be the smartest study group ever

About the/mission statements, i feel they are either separated into service or research/leadership so for me personally it doesn't help much in deciding where I want to be. All three are great for research and other opportunities. I'm sort of hoping financial aid will make the decision for me lol.

Lol guys everyone go to school in Chicago!! It would actually be awesome to start med school already knowing you guys will be there :p we would be the smartest study group ever

About the/mission statements, i feel they are either separated into service or research/leadership so for me personally it doesn't help much in deciding where I want to be. All three are great for research and other opportunities. I'm sort of hoping financial aid will make the decision for me lol.

Yeah the finical part is important too. I just forget about because both my acceptances are to really expensive schools (not that I am complaining)

However, sticker price will favor heavy into my decision should I get off the UC Davis wait list.

Definitely financial aid comes into play for me. I would lovee to go to Wash U or one of the other private schools I've interviewed at, but those tuition rates are painful to look at :eek:

Last edited:
What kind of not so great things if you don't mind?
I've heard that the medical students are treated really poorly in the hospitals/not valued as a member of the team. I've heard there is a lot of "busy work" during the pre-clinical years. A lot of unhappiness overall, and that there is just a bad, unsupportive attitude in the hospitals. This was just the opinion of two people, granted they did not know each other. Definitely go to a second look weekend or something to gauge that yourself!

I've heard that the medical students are treated really poorly in the hospitals/not valued as a member of the team. I've heard there is a lot of "busy work" during the pre-clinical years. A lot of unhappiness overall, and that there is just a bad, unsupportive attitude in the hospitals. This was just the opinion of two people, granted they did not know each other. Definitely go to a second look weekend or something to gauge that yourself!
Thanks for telling me this. I have also heard about the busy work in the school specific thread but I will go to second look so I can get a first hand take on it all

I'm sitting in O'Hare and this lady behind me was talking on the phone and she was listing all the schools she was considering attending and she was basically listing off the top 20 med schools and I was sitting here like holy crud I'm so inferior. But then I realized she was talking about grad programs lol.

Seriously tho... I'm 21... and this will be my first time living alone/away from home. I'm kind of nervous tbh.

Seriously tho... I'm 21... and this will be my first time living alone/away from home. I'm kind of nervous tbh.

Well congrats!
My advice is to keep in mind that nothing gets done by itself.
This includes Laundry, cooking, cleaning, and bill paying.
One last little tidbit, Too much fast food will catch you eventually.

Reactions: 2 users
Well congrats!
My advice is to keep in mind that nothing gets done by itself.
This includes Laundry, cooking, cleaning, and bill paying.
One last little tidbit, Too much fast food will catch you eventually.

Ditto on the cleaning. Especially if you want to catch some ladies. Do your dishes after you eat the meal. It's crazy how fast dishes can pile up. Make yourself do laundry once a week, even if it's just a small load. It's always cheaper to cook your own meals than fast food. You might have higher over-head costs with things like spices, cooking oil, etc, but it all evens out. When I was living alone I used to make a big pot of soup that would last me through a lot of the week, that was helpful. A slow-cooker is good too. You'll kill it, FBC!

My crockpot is a life saver! Also just hang all your shirts right out of the drier so no ironing is needed.

Well, after speaking with both my undergrad and grad school advisors, I think I have my plan for next year if this cycle ends up being unsuccessful! Even though it is just a plan, it helps to have one and lifts a lot of stress off of me even though this cycle is still going on.

Well, after speaking with both my undergrad and grad school advisors, I think I have my plan for next year if this cycle ends up being unsuccessful! Even though it is just a plan, it helps to have one and lifts a lot of stress off of me even though this cycle is still going on.

I'm glad to hear that! What's the plan, if you don't mind me asking?

What you speak is the absolute truth. It is good to have a plan mapped out (although i have a good feeling for you this cycle). I am right there with Lanny. I would like to know as well if you don't mind?

I'm glad to hear that! What's the plan, if you don't mind me asking?
Well if you remember, when I was previously mentioning it in the thread, you noticed that I really didn't have a lot of credit hours. So I did some calculations and I am going to start this semester by taking a cell bio class at one of the colleges around here, take A&P 1 and 2 over the summer, and then 2 courses in the next fall and spring and then apply for the next cycle after that. If I get As in the 28-30 credits (which I am confident on at this point), that will bring my uGPA and sGPA up to right around 3.5 which I definitely think will help my application next time around with the experiences that I have. During this, I am going to see if I cannot be a TA in some upper level bio courses that my Masters degree covers and work at a restaurant again or something to make money for the courses and living.
It is a lot to do, but seeing as I really think my issue is my GPA, it is what I gotta do! And financially I cannot handle an SMP as I have already tossed out a ton of money for my graduate degree from Hopkins.

Reactions: 2 users
What you speak is the absolute truth. It is good to have a plan mapped out (although i have a good feeling for you this cycle). I am right there with Lanny. I would like to know as well if you don't mind?
I still am optimistic about my chances at my state schools as well as the possibility of receiving at least one more II, even if it is later on. So we will see!

Mheard honestly your drive and motivation is inspiring. Hope it works out for you this cycle and if not then the next one

Reactions: 3 users