The Official May 22, 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fenderboi930

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think many of you will agree that today is a great day to officially prepare for the May 22nd MCAT!!!

I was against the April 2015 MCAT because a typical 3 month schedule doesn't seem to work for
students and/or working test takers. With a little over 4 months of preparation we can go in with confidence!
It's all new and really scary--so let's kick MCAT butt together!!

I was also wondering, wouldn't many professional MCAT test takers and tutors want to take the MCAT 2015 as soon
as possible (April MCAT) so they can better they're material or teaching? Wouldn't that just destroy the curve?

Members don't see this ad.

You are not doing anything wrong, they just ran out of seats for now. I am checking all the time throughout the days until someone decides that they want to reschedule or cancel.
It says it is available then when I register for it then it's all gone. I think there is a problem with their site

It says it is available then when I register for it then it's all gone. I think there is a problem with their site
This happened to me too when i signed up. First time it told me that seats were available but then when i clicked it said that everything was full. Almost had a heart attack +pissed+. But then i tried the same location again and it went through just fine. Keep trying im guessing too many are trying to use the website and it's glitchy.

It is glitchy again this morning. I woke up early to try and they tricked me with my state showing, but no seats available.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to literally check every 10 minutes. Seats will open up. Probably not now since people just signed up, but give it a month and lots of seats will open. If you have the chance to check every 5 to 10 minutes do it haha. Seats do open though. Would taking in June really hinder people? I feel like medical schools will be understanding this time around.

Reactions: 1 user
I may be applying EDP, so I really needed the May date to decide. If it doesn't change soon, I may just drive to Canada after all.

I may be applying EDP, so I really needed the May date to decide. If it doesn't change soon, I may just drive to Canada after all.

What makes you want to apply EDP? I was thinking about it too but I just want to hear other people's reasons for doing it.

I got one in Alaska, but I really want one in Seattle tho. This is very annoying. I couldn't really focus on study because I was like checking every other 5 mins.

What makes you want to apply EDP? I was thinking about it too but I just want to hear other people's reasons for doing it.

My in-state option has a very high admit (between 75-90% acceptance most years) and they allow EDP to pick their campus instead of using the lottery. I am also not wealthy and it would save me thousands of dollars and a lot of stress. I don't recommend it for everyone. If my scores are a lot higher than the cut-off point for EDP, I will probably apply broadly and see what I can get though. I like so many schools it wouldn't hurt to try if I end up with a high MCAT.

If I decided to take the test in June instead of May (right now May's my goal), would that hinder the amount of time it takes for scores to be sent to schools? My understanding is no as long as all the other materials are sent, but I still feel June's really late.

Members don't see this ad :)
If everything else is verified then it won't really be that late. You just won't be in that first batch that is sent to the schools. Pre-write your secondaries so that you can be complete at schools quicker.

Registered for may 22nd in Chicago.
Anyone following the next step schedule and want to start a study group?

I'm kinda following the Next Step schedule too! Minus the new EK material cuz I'm using mostly old MCAT prep. Interested in joining an e-study group as well to keep me focused.

I think there will be a chance for you all to register for this date if you're patient and just keep checking. I had to do the same for the old MCAT. Although, there was a huge rush to take the test in Jan. so I had to travel to another state and ended up voiding my score. Kind of a waste but at least I got a fun trip with old friends out of it. This time I mean business.

@LikeSpinningPlates yeah I'm using old MCAT books as well. I have all TPR books, sci workbook, and hyper learning verbal. And some old EK books.
Also, I literally did the same thing as you in January! Had to travel to my exam and ended up voiding.
Let's get down to business and keep up the motivation :D

Here are the resources I think I am going to be using in order of importance; hope it helps you all get more organized too! This is obviously in addition to the AAMC tests and SA's and whatever else they end up releasing. I think I will be using the Khan Academy videos more as a review; it doesn't seem very comprehensive as to covering everything listed on the new outline. I have bolded and underlined the materials I am considering getting but am still unsure about.

Biology:
-Content: 1) TBR Part 1 & 2, 2) TPR (old), 3) Khan Academy Vids
-Passages: 1) TBR, 2) TPRH Science Workbook, 3) AAMC Bio SA (old), 4) Khan

Biochemistry:
-Content: 1) TBR Part 2, 2) Kaplan Biochemistry, 3) Lehninger
-Passages: 1) TBR, 2) NextStep Strategy and Practice, 3) TPRH Science Workbook, 4) Khan

General Chemistry:
-Content: 1) TBR, 2) Khan Academy Vids
-Passages: 1) TBR, 2) TPRH Science Workbook, 3) AAMC GC SA (old), 4) Khan

Organic Chemistry:
-Passages: 1) TBR, 2) TPRH Science Workbook, 3) AAMC Organic SA (old), 4) Khan

Physics:
-Passages: 1) TBR, 2) TPRH Science Workbook, 3) AAMC Physics SA (old), 4) Khan

Psychology & Sociology:
-Content: 1) Kaplan Behavioral Sciences, 2) Khan Academy Vids
-Passages: ???? Not sure about this 1) NextStep Strategy and Practice, 2) Khan

CARS/Verbal:
-Passages: 1) TPRH Verbal (old), 2) EK 101, 3) NextStep CARS, 3) AAMC Verbal SA, 4) TBR Verbal??

Practice Tests:
-Old AAMC's 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
-3 Kaplan Tests
-4 Princeton Review Tests
-NextStep if necessary? Anyone recommend these?

If anyone has ideas about what passages to do for the Psych section (feedback on NextStep strategy books?), I would appreciate it! Also, can anyone speak to how many passages are in each new EK book as well? Worth considering?
How did you get 3 Kaplan tests? I know 1 is available online or free on their website. How did u get the other two?

***There is hope!!!***

(I've been having a pretty rough week so I'm psyched that there are seats anywhere. Now just waiting for something near my hometown...)

On a serious note, I just ordered an Examkrackers set--anyone who has used them found them helpful? The passages looked great on the whole although I haven't started looking at them yet. Also, any suggestions for any books with practice problems? I'm finding content review to be rather pitiful...useful but I'm finding that I need to do more work under pressure.

Checking in. Got my Vegas location, luckily. Some friends have to go to Arizona... Feeling good after a first diagnostic!

Does anyone know how much physics will be de-emphasized? Particularly the topics covered in 4A of the AAMC outline. It looks to me like everything is reduced significantly on MCAT2015 compared to old MCATs. For example, the outline does not even mention that we need to know things like circular motion or projectile motion, and the bullet points underneath the headings are so vague.

I'm trying to make sure that I'm only studying what is needed in the Physics category. The outline makes it seem as though we only need a rudimentary knowledge of physics concepts that were tested heavily on the old MCATs, but I also don't want to study too little..

Does anyone know how much physics will be de-emphasized? Particularly the topics covered in 4A of the AAMC outline. It looks to me like everything is reduced significantly on MCAT2015 compared to old MCATs. For example, the outline does not even mention that we need to know things like circular motion or projectile motion, and the bullet points underneath the headings are so vague.

I'm trying to make sure that I'm only studying what is needed in the Physics category. The outline makes it seem as though we only need a rudimentary knowledge of physics concepts that were tested heavily on the old MCATs, but I also don't want to study too little..
Im pretty sure I saw projectile motion?

I know the next step guy posted a "transition guide", where they edited the old aamc study guide to taylor the new study guide

I'd suggest you read the 2015 AAMC Guide.
I've linked it here http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-mcat-2015-100-days-to-mcat-success.1101251/
The OP in this link, uploaded it on their post. Read the guide thoroughly, it'll answer all you need to know about the exam.

I know the next step guy posted a "transition guide", where they edited the old aamc study guide to taylor the new study guide

Yeah I just posted the link to that thread

I'd suggest you read the 2015 AAMC Guide.
I've linked it here http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...e-mcat-2015-100-days-to-mcat-success.1101251/
The OP in this link, uploaded it on their post. Read the guide thoroughly, it'll answer all you need to know about the exam.

The thing is, I still can't discern how tricky the MCAT writers can be and how much they can stretch what is covered on the AAMC outline. For example, under translational motion the ONLY thing it includes is: units, vectors, speed, velocity, acceleration. Even a sixth grader knows what this stuff is. How in depth do they expect us to know?, i.e. should we memorize and/or know how to use the kinematic equations, including projectile motion and free fall? (They aren't explicitly listed, so one could argue that we don't have to know them. But the MCAT writers could argue otherwise).

Same line of thinking applies for the other physics concepts like force, work, etc. The AAMC outline is very, very vague when it comes to physics concepts that we need to know.

Honestly, none of us will really know how AAMC plans to incorporate physics into this new MCAT. What we DO KNOW is that this one of the new changes to this exam is the biological context attached to ALL science sections. So basically, I feel like your content review will need to be adjusted to include APPLICATION of physics (chemistry and organic chemistry as well) to a biological background. For example, when learning fluids (including equations) use the information to help you understand blood flow and vessel size, etc.

This test may appear daunting, but honestly the only thing we can do is overdose on content & application of concepts. Good luck! :)

Hey guys! Officially registered in Arkansas! I live in Tennessee but its a short two hour drive! How are retakers studying? I self-studied the first time and I'm doing a Kaplan course this time! Praying for the best!

I paid for the June exam couple days ago and now so many seats are open for the May date. If I change then I will lose $70!!!
F*** AAMC:mad:

Can anyone with TPR psych book and Kaplan's biochem book tell me how many chapters are in each book? And typically how long is each chapter in each book? I appreciate it. Thanks

Last edited:
TPR has 8 chapters with 6 devoted to actual content and the other 2 chapters serving as introduction to 2015 MCAT & a few strategies.

Last edited:
TPR has 8 chapters with 6 devoted to actual content and the other 2 chapters serving as introduction to 2015 MCAT & a few strategies.

Really appreciate it. How long is each chapter? How long do you take to do one chapter of content. I'm going to purchase the book soon, and want to finish the content ASAP.

Hi everyone!

Just went through this thread and I might have missed this but does anyone have a good schedule to follow? Kind of like the SN2ed schedule?
I'm just trying to figure out how to break all these new sections down and figure out which books and when to use them.:shrug: Idk how useful my old books are now as well...:(

How did you get 3 Kaplan tests? I know 1 is available online or free on their website. How did u get the other two?

If you buy any of their content review books you get 3 FLs.

Can anyone with TPR psych book and Kaplan's biochem book tell me how many chapters are in each book? And typically how long is each chapter in each book? I appreciate it. Thanks

Kaplan's biochem has 12 chapters and are 15-30 pages long. :)
Hi everyone!

Just went through this thread and I might have missed this but does anyone have a good schedule to follow? Kind of like the SN2ed schedule?
I'm just trying to figure out how to break all these new sections down and figure out which books and when to use them.:shrug: Idk how useful my old books are now as well...:(

EK offers a sample home study schedule on their website! But personally, I have 3 sets of books: Kaplan, EK, and the old TBR. I'm going through my Kaplan books one chapter at a time in this order: Physics --> Bio --> Gen Chem --> Biochem --> Orgo --> Psych/Soc. I 've created an Excel sheet where I matched up TBR and EK sections to my Kaplan chapters because TBR has so many passages, so I read the relevant TBR section and complete a few passages after finishing the Kaplan chapter. After I read a certain number of Kaplan chapters that correspond to an EK 30 minute exam, I take one of those those to assess my progress, and go back and read an EK chapter if necessary for a quick refresher. After that's done, I'll take on FLs. And interspersed throughout content review are CARS passages, which I'm currently not focusing on because it's my strongest section.

Make sense? :p

Really appreciate it. How long is each chapter? How long do you take to do one chapter of content. I'm going to purchase the book soon, and want to finish the content ASAP.

Each chapter is variable in number of pages. It can range anywhere from 35-49 pgs. So yeahhhhh...each chapter is pretty lengthy compared to EK. I haven't started psych/socio content but I am most likely gonna break the chapters up so I read about 15-20 pgs a day.

Got a seat (YAAAAAAAAHHH...)
1.25 hours away from home, but still...pretty darn happy.

this is just so frustrating - aamc opened up a seat closer to me AFTER i payed my 70 to reschedule to may.
a part of me wants to reschedule to the closer testing center again, but email them to see if i can get money back after doing it.

god ... the aamc. smh.
it seems unlikely that they will let u get the money back.

Hi everyone!

I created my own based on 2015 MCAT guidelines, starting from the easiest topics. I give 1 - 3 days on different sections, depending on the length of that section. I don't spilt subjects (Bio, Chem, Biochem, etc). If the guidelines say this section involves bio and biochem, I study from both. I use new Kaplan books and new EK books. Hope it helps!

Anyone taking an MCAT prep class? I'm doing a Kaplan class going from 3/4 - 4/22. So one whole month after the class to eat, sleep and breathe FLs.

Hey do you guys know how much detail we have to know for the biochem section? Like do we have to know B-bulge, Ramachandran angles,reverse turns, etc...

Last edited:
So how deep are all of you into your MCAT prep?

I'm roughly halfway through the EK set...I find I have already forgotten some things though. May need to go through the set twice.

I don't know if I'm behind or not. How much studying are you all doing per day?

My plan is to shoot for ~10 hrs/week (much more than that over spring break and after finals). I'm in school full time and working part time. I haven't gotten very "deep" yet into my studying, but I have set up a study schedule that will allow me to finish content review a month before the MCAT. I am using Kaplan's 7-book set and the 7th ed. EK set. I also plan on purchasing NS's 5 FLs.