The Official May 31, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

k12123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if there's a thread on this but I couldn't find one. If there is, please let me know! Anyway, I took the TBR course from September(ish?)-December and was going to take the exam on January but wasn't ready enough go forward. Anyway I will be starting SN2's 3 month plan either today or tomorrow using the TBR books as well as EKs with TBR, TPR, and AAMC FLs. So who's with me??

Members don't see this ad.

AAMC Average: 34
Post-test expected score: 25-27
Actual Score: 29 (11/08/10)

Comments: I'm somewhat relieved that it's higher than I was expecting, but I can't decide whether or not to retake it. I was really hoping for a score of 30+. I have a cGPA 3.63 and a sGPA 3.57, decent shadowing and clinical work, 3 semesters of neuropsychological research, and excellent volunteer experiences. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Test Date: 5/31/14
FL AAMC Average: 40 (average of 8, 9, 10)
Post-test expected score: 32
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 36. 13/11/12
Comments:
I was feeling terrible after the test because of a few stupid mistakes I realized I made during. I didn't do as bad as I thought I did, but not quite my AAMC average. Overall I guess I'm satisfied as I can't complain with a 36, but at the same time, I know I could have done better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to all the people who got their desired scores, unfortunately I wasn't one of them. Yet not giving up,retaking and hoping second time will be a charm...

Reactions: 6 users
Overall I guess I'm satisfied as I can't complain with a 36, but at the same time, I know I could have done better.
This is where I'm at. Definitely not worth $275 and another couple months of test stress to do better, but every practice test I got a 13+ on VR. At least I did better on BS than any practice test I took.

Holy **** I never thought my verbal score would be so low... I'm crushed. 11-6-11... 28... I don't want to go through that process again. FML. Congrats to everyone who did well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
^I completely agree. I felt like I aced verbal and got my lowest ever score of a 10.

Retaking, unsure when I will be able to.
All the (Kaplan) practice tests I took, the first 3 or 4 tiers were 1 point per question, and a lot of people said they felt like there were a pretty good number of ambiguous answers.

Nice to see that, for all the complaining about how hard the PS section was, we mostly did pretty well.

AAMC Average:
28 (SD:2)
Post-test expected score: 25-31
Actual Score: 30 (10/9/11) PS/VR/BS

Comments: I am somewhat surprised! I honestly expected a 27..... because PS I felt very very very poorly about. This is primarily because I felt the content was presented in a different manner than I was used to from other AAMC's etc. Also the topics covered were my weak areas! I also thought it was ambiguously worded. I expected a curve...but not a large one. So I can say I am surprised with my performance with PS. However, I did make many educated guesses on some qualitative ones...so perhaps that is where the 10 comes from! VR I felt very good about...but VR was always my weak area so I am not surprised with the 9. BS I averaged 11-12's on AAMC's and scored a 10 on AAMC 11. This one's difficulty felt on par with AAMC 11...so I expected a 10. However, I did make several educated guesses on BS which perhaps paid off an extra point. All in all, my message is this: the human brain can generate emotions which can cloud judgment...mix that with environmental forces and no one can accurately predict their MCAT score. If you find yourself unsure and making educated guesses on test day...then that is a huge variable which cannot be quantified for significance into score influence. So no prediction you make can be accurate with these unknown variables...the message: trust in AAMC averages and the standard deviations! People always post about it but no one ever believes it! Statistics are a powerful thing and don't feel your test performance is except from them! I am a first time poster and am so thankful to everyone on this forum for keeping me sane while waiting for my score! Good luck to everyone :)

This was my second MCAT:
1st: 9 PS, 10 VR, 9 BS (28)
2nd: 11 PS, 8 VR, 10 BS (29)

Is it bad that I only went up one point?? Also will schools take my initial 10 in verbal into account?

[Sorry for reposting :/ ]

This was my second MCAT:
1st: 9 PS, 10 VR, 9 BS (28)
2nd: 11 PS, 8 VR, 10 BS (29)

Is it bad that I only went up one point?? Also will schools take my initial 10 in verbal into account?

[Sorry for reposting :/ ]

I had a friend get into GWU with a 28. Granted she didn't retake, but both your scores are balanced! Apply!

I had a friend get into GWU with a 28. Granted she didn't retake, but both your scores are balanced! Apply!

Thanks! I mean I'm bummed about the 8 but happy about the PS/BS improvement (albeit slight). Just wanted to crack 30 but I guess all we can do is take what we get. Thanks again!

AAMC Average: 34 (11/10/13)

Post-test expected score: 33 (10/10/13)
Actual Score: 36 (11/11/14) PS/VR/BS

Comments: So unbelievably happy right now! This matched my highest practice test score :). I thought I did terribly on the PS section, and an 11 was the highest I've ever gotten on VR. Thanks to everyone on this forum. You guys have made this waiting game so much easier because I knew I wasn't the only one going through the agonizing wait.

Reactions: 4 users
AAMC Average: 34 (11/10/13)
Post-test expected score: 33 (10/10/13)
Actual Score:
36 (11/11/14) PS/VR/BS

Comments: So unbelievably happy right now! This matched my highest practice test score :). I thought I did terribly on the PS section, and an 11 was the highest I've ever gotten on VR. Thanks to everyone on this forum. You guys have made this waiting game so much easier because I knew I wasn't the only one going through the agonizing wait.

Congratulations! You deserve it! Hello Med School.

Reactions: 1 users
AAMC Average: 30.5

Post-test expected score: 21-25
Actual Score: 30 (11/8/11) PS/VR/BS

Comments: Even though this may not be the best score possible, but I am really happy with this score. I am not sure if I will rewrite but this has given me a great sense of confidence. I thought I bombed the VR. I usually scored between a 5-7, and only scored 8 once. I came out of the exam, thinking I was wrecked by all three sections. I was so disheartened by verbal. I agree with a poster above, its truly difficult to predict the score you'll get BUT a somewhat good predictor is the AAMC averages. I want to thank God, and this community for helping me in all aspects of the exam. For the people that didnt get the score they wanted, don't give up...just trust yourself and you'll be unstoppable.

Test Date: 5/ 31/14
AAMC Average: 30 (9/10/11)
Post-test expected score: 27 (7/10/10)
Actual Score: 30 (11/8/11)

Super bummed about verbal, usually got 9's or 10's on practice. I think during the exam, I thought I bombed PS, I mean guessed for a whole passage and tons of FSQ's, and it kind of messed me up for the rest of the test. Was very surprised about actual PS score. Just goes to show you…even if you think you bombed a section, keep your chin up and bust through the rest of the test. You don't want it to affect your other sections.

I'm keeping my score. Can't go through this again.

Happy for everyone who got what they wanted! :)

AAMC Average: 34.5
Post-test expected score: ~30
Actual Score:
33 (13/09/11) PS/VR/BS

Comments: This is my first post on the SDN. I figured that since I've been reading this post since I took the test, I should probably give some feedback. I admit that I bombed the BS. My practice test range was from 11-14 for BS and I completely blanked out for around 15 mins during the test due to anxiety. I was very nervous throughout the test. I honestly think I could have done better with BS if I was a bit more confident during the test. But I think I'll take this score, although it's not superb. My VR score is mediocre, but it has always been (English is my second language and I've only lived in the U.S. as a permanent resident for 2 years). I wish I could have performed better but this isn't too bad.

I'm thankful that the whole process of preparing for the test and waiting for the score is over. Not the best I've ever taken, but it's partially my fault. I definitely have to learn to be more confident and focused in the future.

I retook my Jan 23 test score of 25 [8/8/9] on May 31 expecting to get a higher score. I wasn't understanding why I did so poorly because I was averaging 31s on FL. I was hoping my performance would match my practice score to this new score. However I got a 24! :( [8/8/8] Do I still have a chance for DO?? My science GPA is 3.3 and overall 3.5

30 is the median score of admitted MD students, which means PLENTY of people get in with a lower score.
Not to nitpick but it's actually 31.
FL AAMC Average: 40
Post-test expected score: 32
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 36. 13/11/12
Comments:
I was feeling terrible after the test because of a few stupid mistakes I realized I made during. I didn't do as bad as I thought I did, but not quite my AAMC average. Overall I guess I'm satisfied as I can't complain with a 36, but at the same time, I know I could have done better.
Is that AAMC average over all 8 FL's?

AAMC Average: 28 (lowest 23, highest 30)

Post-test expected score: 18-29 (Honestly had no idea)
Actual Score: 25 (9/8/8) PS/VR/BS

Comments:
Long time lurker, first time poster. I too thought I did ABSOLUTELY terrible on the PS. I struggled on three of the passages and it seemed like it alternated between easy, hard, easy, hard all the way until the end. This was annoying because I kept losing my rhythm. Going in to the test I was really hoping for a 12 on PS since that was my average, but after leaving I would have given my soul for an 8. A 9 is alright, but I feel like with one more question I could be at a 10. Some of those passages were really difficult to get down.

Verbal was around where I expected it to be. Only hit a 10 once on any of the practice AAMCs. Thought all of the passages were incredibly easy to read, but I really struggled on a lot of the questions. I was in between two for a lot of them so no surprise there.

As for BS, I know everybody was talking about how easy it was but it seemed like genetics was almost 1/4 to 1/3 of that section and I definitely didn't prepare well enough for that, which ended up becoming my downfall. I also know I screwed up on the ochem passage. Looking back now it was pretty easy, but my mind was so frantic at that point I just couldn't think.

Overall, not thrilled I got only a 25, but it beats the <20 I got in January so I am not too disappointed. Congratulations to everybody who got what they wanted! And to those who are retaking, best of luck! Keep your head up! We'll all be where we need to be eventually! I'm applying broadly - lots of DO schools and with my decent GPA I'm sure I'll have a shot somewhere as long as my apps get verified soon. Probably going to sign up for a retake, but hopefully this will be enough for interviews.

LONG time lurker here. Took the May 31st test and scored 32. (11/10/11)

AAMC Average: 30.7
Post-test expected score: 29, but I knew that I really had no clue
Actual Score: 32 (11/10/11)

Here are my AAMC practices:

3: 13/9/11
4: 12/8/8
5: 11/9/11
7: 12/7/10
8: 12/8/12
9: 11/8/12
10: skipped
11: 12/7/10

Materials used:

Genchem: TBR
Ochem: Princeton and Kaplan
Physics: Nova

2 Kaplan FL's from a book I got at the library, scored:
26 (10/7/9)
28 (12/7/9)

Last edited:
FL AAMC Average: 42
Post-test expected score: No idea
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 38. 13/12/13
Comments:
I'm a little disappointed because I could have done better but I really can't complain.

Reactions: 1 users
AAMC Average: 33 (lowest 29, highest 36. Rose steadily as I took them)

Post-test expected score: 30-32
Actual Score: 28 (9/9/10) PS/VR/BS

Horrified. I was really ready to be done with this. I did most of the SN2'd guide and felt confident in my abilities. My verbal average was just under 12. I can't believe my best section tanked me. I expected the 9 in PS after how horrible it went and BS was about what I was doing on the AAMCs.

The next date available is 7/12. The unfortunate thing is that I have a summer course starting 7/14 lasting through the end of August. I don't want to rush too much and take it immediately on the 12th, but I don't want to be extraordinarily late with my app. Alternatively, if I don't get my score up 30+, I'm tanked regardless. The summer class is M-Th in the mornings. I could take the Th 24th afternoon administration or F 25th morning administration.

Thoughts? My cGPA is 3.7 and sGPA is 3.5 with pure upward trend ending in several consecutive 4.0s.

I'm pretty freaked out and not sure what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you very much.

had to take 36 hours to recover from that physical science section before I could post.. literally the worst physical I've ever seen. The passages were more difficult than anything seen on the aamc practice exams. I don't understand why they cannot give us more recent tests to use for practice. I mean I'm not even asking for a test from 2013.. just anything a little more recent than 2005. The verbal passages were not super convoluted but the questions were iffy
How did you end up doing on it? This sounds like how I felt after the 6/13 PS section. To me, it felt like Rocket Scientist physics, not anything for prep for med school and the other AAMCs practice exams were like 50% easier.

Thought I would post my AAMC practice tests and my actual score since I really appreciated it when I was lurking on other threads

Actual: (36)

4: 14/12/15 (41)
5: 13/12/11 (36)
8: 13/10/13 (36)
9: 15/11/12 (38)
10: 14/13/14 (41)
11: 12/12/14 (38)

Average: 13.5/11.7/13.2 (38.4)

Took two before studying in October and December
7: 11/9/12 (32)
3: 11/11/12 (34)

Last edited:
AAMC Average: 33 (lowest 29, highest 36. Rose steadily as I took them)
Post-test expected score: 30-32
Actual Score: 28 (9/9/10) PS/VR/BS

Horrified. I was really ready to be done with this. I did most of the SN2'd guide and felt confident in my abilities. My verbal average was just under 12. I can't believe my best section tanked me. I expected the 9 in PS after how horrible it went and BS was about what I was doing on the AAMCs.

The next date available is 7/12. The unfortunate thing is that I have a summer course starting 7/14 lasting through the end of August. I don't want to rush too much and take it immediately on the 12th, but I don't want to be extraordinarily late with my app. Alternatively, if I don't get my score up 30+, I'm tanked regardless. The summer class is M-Th in the mornings. I could take the Th 24th afternoon administration or F 25th morning administration.

Thoughts? My cGPA is 3.7 and sGPA is 3.5 with pure upward trend ending in several consecutive 4.0s.

I'm pretty freaked out and not sure what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you very much.
Definitely still apply to schools with the 28. You might end up being totally fine, depending on your extracurrics etc. Just don't apply to like the crazy top schools. I have a friend who got a 28, went to University of Galveston TX MD, kicked ASS on the boards, and is now going into dermatology...

AAMC Average: 34
Post-test expected score: 25-27
Actual Score: 29 (11/08/10)

Comments: I'm somewhat relieved that it's higher than I was expecting, but I can't decide whether or not to retake it. I was really hoping for a score of 30+. I have a cGPA 3.63 and a sGPA 3.57, decent shadowing and clinical work, 3 semesters of neuropsychological research, and excellent volunteer experiences. Any thoughts?
Definitely still apply with a 29... LOTs of people get in with scores lower than 30. Just not to harvard etc...

Not to nitpick but it's actually 31.

Is that AAMC average over all 8 FL's?

It's over 8, 9, and 10, I'll add an edit to my post to include that. I don't quite remember, but I think my PS ranged from 13-15, VR from 10-13, and BS from 12-15 in those three FL's. I took 11 as well, but it was when I was about 50% done with reviewing content, so I didn't include it in the average. I didn't take 1-7 because I heard they weren't as good at predicting score, although in hindsight I should have spent some money for some extra practice.

Anyways, I think the discrepancy can just be attributed primarily to test jitters causing a bunch of dumb little mistakes, as well as the content of the actual MCAT not being what I "liked" or was good at compared to the practice exams.

Thought I would post my AAMC practice tests and my actual score since I really appreciated it when I was lurking on other threads

Actual: 13/11/12 (36) [p/v/b]

4: 14/12/15 (41)
5: 13/12/11 (36)
8: 13/10/13 (36)
9: 15/11/12 (38)
10: 14/13/14 (41)
11: 12/12/14 (38)

Average: 13.5/11.7/13.2 (38.4)

Took two before studying in October and December
7: 11/9/12 (32)
3: 11/11/12 (34)

Hey! Identical scores high five. We both got a bit lower than our averages, but a 36 isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things I guess. :)

To all those retaking: good luck, and I truly wish you the best. Hopefully the next time's the charm.

Last edited:
Test date: 5/31/14
AAMC Average: 32.5 (I only took AAMC's 3 and 4 though, and got 33 and 32, respectively).
Post-test expected score: Idk... I think I mentally prepared myself for almost every possible score combo lol.
Actual score: 32 (10 PS, 11 VR, 11 BS)
Comments: Satisfied, considering I really only did less than a month of hardcore prep, between finals and May 31st. (I mean, I studied before that, too, but I wouldn't really consider reading one gen chem review chapter every three weeks as "hardcore prep" =P Congrats to everyone who got what they wanted, good luck to those retesting. =)

What happens if you apply with a scheduled retake? I am 1 point below my goal (DO only) and would like to get my apps in then update scores later but I don't if they set your app aside if you have a planned retake...

FL AAMC Average: 42
How many AAMC FL's was this over?
It's over 8, 9, and 10, I'll add an edit to my post to include that. I don't quite remember, but I think my PS ranged from 13-15, VR from 10-13, and BS from 12-15 in those three FL's. I took 11 as well, but it was when I was about 50% done with reviewing content, so I didn't include it in the average. I didn't take 1-7 because I heard they weren't as good at predicting score, although in hindsight I should have spent some money for some extra practice.

Anyways, I think the discrepancy can just be attributed primarily to test jitters causing a bunch of dumb little mistakes, as well as the content of the actual MCAT not being what I "liked" or was good at compared to the practice exams.
Ah yeah that's all understandable.

Alright y'all I need some advice.

Overall: 32 (7/13/12)

Super happy with the overall score, but the 7 is really pissing me off. Not sure if I should retake it or not. Any help is appreciated.

Hey, I bet you did fine. The initial shock is probably enough to make anyone that didn't get a 35+ to want to cry. Hang in there!
@NettleHead

Thanks guys... I just feel super ****ty only because I know now I have to postpone another year. And I've put so much effort into it. I've gotta find another way to study for this test.. I hope everyone else got the score they wanted :) Guess I just have to hop back on the horse... and try again.

How'd you do if you do not mind me asking?

8/9/9.. I'm not happy... I know PS was hard... but neither my Bio or verbal score should have been that low...

If I could estimate my average I'm sure it was around a 27.. I was just hoping for a miracle..and I scored well on the last few practice tests I took... honestly I think it comes down to test day jitters...
but now I have to go back to the drawing board and start from scratch...especially because the test is changing again.

Hey guys, I'm a longtime lurker of this thread. I'm a post bac and retook the MCAT on May 31 after scoring a dismal 21 on my first try last year. Here are my stats for the May 31 test:
FL AAMC Average: 32
Post-test expected score: 25
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 29. 9/9/11

Not a stellar score by any means, but hopefully it gets me in somewhere. I have a 4.0 GPA, but I had no choice but to work full-time while studying for this beast of an exam. Overall I'm happy with the improvement and hopeful that everything works out. Now I can finally hit that submit button on my app....