The Official May 31, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

k12123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if there's a thread on this but I couldn't find one. If there is, please let me know! Anyway, I took the TBR course from September(ish?)-December and was going to take the exam on January but wasn't ready enough go forward. Anyway I will be starting SN2's 3 month plan either today or tomorrow using the TBR books as well as EKs with TBR, TPR, and AAMC FLs. So who's with me??

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I'm a longtime lurker of this thread. I'm a post bac and retook the MCAT on May 31 after scoring a dismal 21 on my first try last year. Here are my stats for the May 31 test:
Test Date: 5/31/14
FL AAMC Average: 32
Post-test expected score: 25
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 29. 9/9/11

Not a stellar score by any means, but hopefully it gets me in somewhere. I have a 4.0 GPA, but I had no choice but to work full-time while studying for this beast of an exam. Overall I'm happy with the improvement and hopeful that everything works out. Now I can finally hit that submit button on my app....

I really appreciate your post :) I feel like maybe my post bac program will help my situation as well :) Congrats on your score! That's great :)

8/9/9.. I'm not happy... I know PS was hard... but neither my Bio or verbal score should have been that low...

If I could estimate my average I'm sure it was around a 27.. I was just hoping for a miracle..and I scored well on the last few practice tests I took... honestly I think it comes down to test day jitters...
but now I have to go back to the drawing board and start from scratch...especially because the test is changing again.

Well... if it helps any... you're a very pretty gal and that score don't mean ssssssshhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiz now! Congrats on getting this far! :) Keep ur head up champ! Everything will fall in place!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well... if it helps any... you're a very pretty gal and that score don't mean ssssssshhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiz now! Congrats on getting this far! :) Keep ur head up champ! Everything will fall in place!

Lol thank you :) And thank you for the encouragement :) I definitely will just have to keep pushing.

Reactions: 1 user
8/9/9.. I'm not happy... I know PS was hard... but neither my Bio or verbal score should have been that low...

If I could estimate my average I'm sure it was around a 27.. I was just hoping for a miracle..and I scored well on the last few practice tests I took... honestly I think it comes down to test day jitters...
but now I have to go back to the drawing board and start from scratch...especially because the test is changing again.
Same score different break down 9/9/8, super bummed

I really appreciate your post :) I feel like maybe my post bac program will help my situation as well :) Congrats on your score! That's great :)

Thank you! Just try as best you can to learn from your mistakes and to maintain a positive attitude. We all realize that this test is an important piece of our application, but it's not everything, so try not to let one bad experience bring you down. Best of luck!

AAMC Average: 33 (lowest 29, highest 36. Rose steadily as I took them)
Post-test expected score: 30-32
Actual Score: 28 (9/9/10) PS/VR/BS

Horrified. I was really ready to be done with this. I did most of the SN2'd guide and felt confident in my abilities. My verbal average was just under 12. I can't believe my best section tanked me. I expected the 9 in PS after how horrible it went and BS was about what I was doing on the AAMCs.

The next date available is 7/12. The unfortunate thing is that I have a summer course starting 7/14 lasting through the end of August. I don't want to rush too much and take it immediately on the 12th, but I don't want to be extraordinarily late with my app. Alternatively, if I don't get my score up 30+, I'm tanked regardless. The summer class is M-Th in the mornings. I could take the Th 24th afternoon administration or F 25th morning administration.

Thoughts? My cGPA is 3.7 and sGPA is 3.5 with pure upward trend ending in several consecutive 4.0s.

I'm pretty freaked out and not sure what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you very much.

Anyone else care to comment? Thanks!

I'm applying only DO but wanted at least a 27

Don't worry I'm sure after work I will be chiming in with a score far lower than yours... I will literally fall on the floor and die with happiness if I get anything higher than a 25

Don't worry I'm sure after work I will be chiming in with a score far lower than yours... I will literally fall on the floor and die with happiness if I get anything higher than a 25
Whatever score you get you will survive, it hurts to see a low number, but it's already getting easier...

Members don't see this ad :)
Test Date: 5/31
AAMC Average: 28 (9, 9, 10), last tw0 tests were 30s
Prediction: 26 (9, 11, 6)

PS: Expected a 9, received a 10.

VR: There was definitely a tough scale for verbal since it was fairly easy. I thought it was the easiest verbal section I've done. Expected an 11. received a 9.

BS: Ran out of time in this section for the first time ever since I was stuck on one passage for way too long. Had to guess on the last 8 or so questions. Thought it was much more difficult than usual. Tough orgo questions. Expected a 6, received a 9.

Actual Score: 28 (10, 9, 9)

FL AAMC Average: 30
Post-test expected score: 24-27
Actual Score: 27 (PS / VR / BS) 9/8/10

Comments: Been looking at this page all day, and finally got the courage to look at my score. Not thrilled with it, but definitely better than I thought it might have been. It seems like I'm going to be right on the edge of getting in anywhere. I have a 3.8 GPA and pretty good extracurriculars. Would you guys still recommend applying to MD schools? I know it will be an uphill battle, but I just want to figure out if it's a battle worth fighting or if I likely won't get in anywhere.

Thanks, and congrats to everyone who got their desired score!!

FL AAMC average 31.3 (27,29,29,29,31,36,35,35)

Predicted score 28-35

Actual score 10/11/10

Kind of surprised, I did well on PS, normal on VR, and low on BS.

FL AAMC Average: 30
Post-test expected score: 29-32
Actual Score: 26 (PS / VR / BS) 9/7/10

Holy $%&$ I was not expecting that at all. The test felt hard, but so did all of the practice tests and I had NO IDEA it would be that bad :'''((( Just signed up for July 25, my advisor says that it will be considered still for this cycle, though I know it slows me down a lot. I have an early assurance acceptance to a low-tier MD school so I'm very fortunate that I do have a back up plan because they don't care about my MCAT score at all.. but I really don't want to end up there and really want options - especially since I've come this far by spending so much on my application. Honestly, I am just shocked. I got a 27 on the first AAMC I ever took without studying anything at all, never even dreamed my score would get below that.

Would you guys agree if I say that 90% of people here scored lower than their AAMC average?

Reactions: 2 users
FL AAMC Average: ~33 (30 to 37)
Post-test expected score: PS: 12, VR: 5-8, BS: 13
Actual Score: 31 (12 / 7 / 12)

Comments:
I felt terrible about VR which is by far my weakest section. I have a 4.0 GPA, relatively strong ECs and strong LORs but I will applying as an international student to U.S. .. I will be retaking the MCAT in August (not sure if I should apply this cycle at all - any advice would be much appreciated).

Comments:
I felt terrible about VR which is by far my weakest section. I have a 4.0 GPA, relatively strong ECs and strong LORs but I will applying as an international student to U.S. .. I will be retaking the MCAT in August (not sure if I should apply this cycle at all - any advice would be much appreciated).
I would probably apply. I would imagine that an admission committee would take into account that you are an international student when looking at your verbal score. A 12 in both of the science sections is really good. I'm not really familiar with how international students are viewed by med schools, but with that GPA and good ECs I think you have a decent shot at an interview.

FL AAMC Average: 36-37
(13ish, 10-11, 13)
Post-test expected score: expected a 29 (9/9/11)
Actual Score: 34 (13/9/12)

I thought I got absolutely destroyed in PS because I completely guessed on a couple of discretes and thought that the feel of the section was different from the AAMCs. Was happily surprised to see I scored my average! I scored on the low end for VS, which was expected because I found the passages to be easy and suspect that my low score came from a harsher curve. Scored a point lower in BS than usual, which I'm expecting was due to some organic chem and a couple of stand alones that I knew I got wrong after walking out of the center.

Overall satisfied with my score, but wish that I had performed to my greatest potential.

How many AAMC FL's was this over?

Ah yeah that's all understandable.

5 (41), 7 (40), 8 (39), 9 (41), 10 (43), 11 (45).

I took 3 as an assessment prior to studying (got a 33) and worked my way through 5 - 11 as I was studying. I took 11 the week of the MCAT after I finished studying so I was pretty confident... oh well.

I took 3 as an assessment prior to studying (got a 33) and worked my way through 5 - 11 as I was studying. I took 11 the week of the MCAT after I finished studying so I was pretty confident... oh well.

45 on 11?! Jesus lmao. that's crazy

Comments:

damn, that's disappointing. you clearly know your stuff and you deserve this. work as hard as you can, get that verbal up a touch, and you'll get there. you got this.

Well dang, I don't know what to tell you. Did you feel the exam exposed weak areas in terms of your comfort or skill with particular areas of content?

FL AAMC Average: 31

Post-test expected score: 26-32
Actual Score: 30 (11/10/9)

By far the lowest I have ever scored on BS... I am planning to apply MD and also DO... Do I have any shot at MD? cumulative GPA :3.84 science:3.83 NY res

Thanks everyone and just congrats to everyone for making it through that extremely difficult exam.

FL AAMC Average: 32.5
Post-test expected score: 28-32
Actual Score: 34 (12/11/11)
Comments: Way better than I expected! Super excited!! Thought I got destroyed by the orgo on my BS section.

FL AAMC Average: 35
Post-test expected score: 28-30
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 37. 13/10/14
Comments: Iwotm8?

Reactions: 5 users
Gonna crack a beer before I hit my 4 hour limit before being on call and check this thing

PS 7/VR 8/BS 8 = 23

Well well well... Best PS score yet, and worst VR which is weird bc I thought I did so well on the VR and so terrible on the PS.

FL AAMC Average:
~29
Post-test expected score:
24 (7/7/10)
Actual Score:
26 (10/6/10)

Well I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised at my PS score. I thought it was insane so I'm very happy to see I got a 10 (although my PS average was a 11). That verbal though...verbal has always been a weakness of mine but WOW. I never thought I'd score that low. Will that 6 screen me out of MD schools? :(

FL AAMC Average: ~29
Post-test expected score: 24 (7/7/10)
Actual Score: 26 (10/6/10)

Well I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised at my PS score. I thought it was insane so I'm very happy to see I got a 10 (although my PS average was a 11). That verbal though...verbal has always been a weakness of mine but WOW. I never thought I'd score that low. Will that 6 screen me out of MD schools? :(

Unfortunately, yeah, a 7 or below can certainly disqualify you. I am in the exact same boat. I knew that VR was never going to be great, but I had my practice scores up to a 10 and ended up with a 7. womp. not sure how on earth it got that bad... retaking late july in hopes of reviving my app. :(

I'm planning on retaking. I bombed the PS section but did all right otherwise.

Question... If I retake the MCAT August 7th will it be beneficial to this cycle? or is that too late to make a difference?

Hey guys how does it work... If we submit our application with an MCAT score we are not proud of, but indicate that we are signed up to take another MCAT in August do schools who have a minimum MCAT score already screen you out even though you indicate you are taking another MCAT?

Hey guys how does it work... If we submit our application with an MCAT score we are not proud of, but indicate that we are signed up to take another MCAT in August do schools who have a minimum MCAT score already screen you out even though you indicate you are taking another MCAT?
I think schools just won't review your app until your new MCAT comes out.

...and to honestly slightly rant, I get tired of this obsession with MCAT scores, and especially the people. I hate seeing those who complain that their 30+ scores aren't good enough and tell other people that their X number isn't good enough for such and such school, or in general. There are other factors that play in to your application. Something I heard at a seminar was there are too many students with X gap, X MCAT, x hours shadowing, and x hours researching, trying to check off every mark that entails your typical application. Everyone is so concerned with that a med school application should look like and have on it, rather than the foundation of what the experience is truly trying to encompass.

Yeah I'm thinking about applying... I don't know... I have really strong and unique ECs as well, and I truly want to be a doctor. I know a few people who got into a DO school that is near me with lower than a 23. It is just a total crapshoot though

Unfortunately, yeah, a 7 or below can certainly disqualify you. I am in the exact same boat. I knew that VR was never going to be great, but I had my practice scores up to a 10 and ended up with a 7. womp. not sure how on earth it got that bad... retaking late july in hopes of reviving my app. :(

Damn I already submitted my application. Well, I have heard of some people getting in with a 6 in verbal, but it seems to be extremely rare. I'll go ahead and apply since I've already submitted, but I won't be expecting acceptances. I'll probably go ahead and retake the MCAT in January and prepare to apply for the next cycle. That way, if I do get rejected, I'll be prepared for the next cycle and if by some miracle I get an acceptance, then awesome!

If your VR scores were 10, then I think this may have been a fluke for you. Retaking is unfortunately not an option for me, but I think it's a good idea for you to if you can keep scoring high on VR practice tests consistently.

I know that MD schools will look at a low verbal scores, and then look at english/literature classes to see if it's a fluke or not. I do have an A in all of those classes so I'm hoping that might slightly help. Does anyone know if they look at your personal statement for that too? If you can demonstrate that you have good writing skills, do you think that they may be more open to accepting a sub par verbal score?

Verbal sucks so much. :annoyed:

FL AAMC Average: ~29
Post-test expected score: 24 (7/7/10)
Actual Score: 26 (10/6/10)

I am in almost the same boat as you, I averaged a 9.5 in verbal (lowest-8, highest-12) and somehow wound up with 6 in verbal. My science scores are really good and representative of my AAMCs, but this verbal is just blowing my mind. So, I guess sign up for a retake and hope this was just a fluke?

Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated!

AAMC Average: 39.5

3: 39
4: 38
5: 38
7: 41
8: 41
9: 39
10: 40
11: 40
Post-test expected score: 35-37 (12/9/15)
Actual Score: 39
(14/11/14) PS/VR/BS

Comments: I just skimmed the EK 7th edition textbooks, did the chapter questions, did Kaplan flashcards, did TPR Science Workbook Biological Sciences passages, and did AAMC full-lengths. Really only worked on weekends this semester and the three weeks leading up to the exam. Just FYI, for Verbal I got 13's a couple of times, but I really plateaued at 12 and just stayed there pretty consistently.

Last edited:
Test Date: 05/31/2014
FL AAMC Average: 33
Post-test expected score: 30
Actual Score: 35 - 13 PS, 11 V, 11 BS
Comments: Very happy with 35, which was totally unexpectedly, because I felt horrible the whole month after the test!

The lowest I scored on an AAMC FL was 32, and the highest was 36. Average was 33, so my actual score was really close to my actual score. The breakdown for each section was also very close to my AAMC FL averages. I always did the best on PS, and it turned out to be my highest score.

Like others, I thought I did the worst on PS after the exam, but I ended up with a 13. I'm guessing what happened was that what I knew on the exam, I knew for sure, and the ones I guessed on, I made sound, educated guesses.

Anyway, just trust your AAMC FL scores, because it predicted my total score and my breakdown!

Congratulations to everyone else who doesn't have to retake, and for those who plan on retaking, I highly recommend the 4-month SN2ed schedule! I followed it to a tee (minus the hat trick, EK 1001 questions, and full reread), and it served me well!

I think schools just won't review your app until your new MCAT comes out.
This is correct.
Honestly, I'm applying with my 23. I have a lot of strong EC's, and I'm not going to let a verbal score hinder my career. Its either that or take a 3rd time, which I'm willing to do. If this really is your dream you'll make it work one way or another.
Unfortunately it's not really up to you, you can't will yourself to an acceptance. With a VR score of 5 your chances at a US MD acceptance are literally negligible.
...and to honestly slightly rant, I get tired of this obsession with MCAT scores, and especially the people. I hate seeing those who complain that their 30+ scores aren't good enough and tell other people that their X number isn't good enough for such and such school, or in general. There are other factors that play in to your application. Something I heard at a seminar was there are too many students with X gap, X MCAT, x hours shadowing, and x hours researching, trying to check off every mark that entails your typical application. Everyone is so concerned with that a med school application should look like and have on it, rather than the foundation of what the experience is truly trying to encompass.
Everyone has different goals, a 31 isn't going to get an otherwise traditional non-URM applicant a scholarship, but it can certainly get an acceptance to a strong school. The problem with applicants that appear to be checking boxes is a separate issue, but denial of the reality that there are minimum standards for being qualified is just willful ignorance. You really do need a GPA and MCAT sufficient speak to your academic ability in terms of succeeding in medical school and passing the boards.

Reactions: 6 users