The Official May 31, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

k12123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if there's a thread on this but I couldn't find one. If there is, please let me know! Anyway, I took the TBR course from September(ish?)-December and was going to take the exam on January but wasn't ready enough go forward. Anyway I will be starting SN2's 3 month plan either today or tomorrow using the TBR books as well as EKs with TBR, TPR, and AAMC FLs. So who's with me??

Members don't see this ad.

Another first time commenter. I just want to congratulate everyone that received the scores they hoped for and provide hope for those who didn't do as well as they hoped. If you are committed and dedicated you will become a doctor one day, don't lose hope. All the best to everyone and wherever life takes them!

Test Date: 5/31/14
FL AAMC Average: 29.2
Post-test expected score: 29
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 31. 10/10/11
Comments: Happy.

(PS/VR/BS) - COMPOSITE

AAMC 3 10/9/11 - 30

AAMC 4 10/9/8 - 27

AAMC 5 9/8/11 - 28

AAMC 7 9/9/10 - 28

AAMC 8 12/6/11 - 29

AAMC 9 13/9/11 - 33

AAMC 10 9/9/11 - 29

AAMC 11 11/8/10 - 29

AVERAGE 10.4/8.4/10.4 - 29.2

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
...and to honestly slightly rant, I get tired of this obsession with MCAT scores, and especially the people. I hate seeing those who complain that their 30+ scores aren't good enough and tell other people that their X number isn't good enough for such and such school, or in general. There are other factors that play in to your application. Something I heard at a seminar was there are too many students with X gap, X MCAT, x hours shadowing, and x hours researching, trying to check off every mark that entails your typical application. Everyone is so concerned with that a med school application should look like and have on it, rather than the foundation of what the experience is truly trying to encompass.

you my friend will make it VERY far in life. Good for you. I can sleep tonight knowing there is still good in the world.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
FL AAMC Average: Only took 1 and it was a 21
Post-test expected score: 25-30
Actual Score: 28 ( PS / V / BS) 09/10/09

Comments: That darn VR! How did i manage to do better on the section i thought was the hardest?!? Overall I am ok with my score. 2 more points and I would have felt way better.

I am AA, female and non traditional. With great EC's, 3.6 sgpa 3.5 cgpa, shadowing, research, summer medical programs, medical missionary abroad program, 2 jobs while taking full time course undergrad. Hopefully a school will see my determination and give me a shot.

FL AAMC Average: Only took 1 and it was a 21
Post-test expected score: 25-30
Actual Score: 28 ( PS / V / BS) 09/10/09

Comments: That darn VR! How did i manage to do better on the section i thought was the hardest?!? Overall I am ok with my score. 2 more points and I would have felt way better.

I am AA, female and non traditional. With great EC's, 3.6 sgpa 3.5 cgpa, shadowing, research, summer medical programs, medical missionary abroad program, 2 jobs while taking full time course undergrad. Hopefully a school will see my determination and give me a shot.
Historically ~85% of similar applicants received at least one acceptance.

Sent from my neural implant using SDN Mobile

FL AAMC Average: ~33 (30 to 37)
Post-test expected score: PS: 12, VR: 5-8, BS: 13
Actual Score: 31 (12 / 7 / 12)
Comments:
I felt terrible about VR which is by far my weakest section. I have a 4.0 GPA, relatively strong ECs and strong LORs but I will applying as an international student to U.S. .. I will be retaking the MCAT in August (not sure if I should apply this cycle at all - any advice would be much appreciated).

Hey, sorry about the VR score--but your science scores are excellent!! How did you prepare for them if you dont mind?Thanks

I did a lot better than expected but I think that is because we had a good scale on physical! Verbal raped me so I will be re-taking the test August 27th. Moral of the story: better to have a hard test with a forgiving scale than an easy test with crappy scale.

Are you applying this cycle? I'm on the same boat as you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I didn't get my score back yet (took June 5) but dying of anxiety. It seems like most of you did great though (congratulations)!!
.... did ANY of you feel like you failed post-exam?

Hi everyone! I didn't get my score back yet (took June 5) but dying of anxiety. It seems like most of you did great though (congratulations)!!

Hey, YES I was depressed for a while because I was convinced I completely bombed the physical sciences section and I mean 6/7 range...I ended up with a 10. I'm sure this was due to a lenient curve so don't let those feelings bum you out too much! Chances are, you will do better than you think :)

Yay thank you I just need to survive for the new few days!! Also nice screen name!!

Absolutely!! After my BS section, I just sat there thinking about all the dumb questions I got wrong for no reason plus the questions that I pretty much blatantly guessed on (a few which I knew I got wrong after googling the question once I got home). I ended up with an 11. Don't trust the post-test feelings :) Only a few more days! Good luck!

Definitely! I walked out of my testing center almost in tears because I thought PS destroyed me. I also blatantly guessed on the last 3 VR questions because I ran out of time. I ended up getting 11s on both of those sections with a 36 overall (2 points higher than my AAMC average). I know it's hard, but try not to stress out too much because curves are different for each exam, and there's no real way to predict your score.

FL AAMC Average: ~33 (30 to 37)
Post-test expected score: PS: 12, VR: 5-8, BS: 13
Actual Score: 31 (12 / 7 / 12)
Comments:
I felt terrible about VR which is by far my weakest section. I have a 4.0 GPA, relatively strong ECs and strong LORs but I will applying as an international student to U.S. .. I will be retaking the MCAT in August (not sure if I should apply this cycle at all - any advice would be much appreciated).
Definitely still apply. You WILL get in somewhere if you apply to realistic schools.

Definitely still apply. You WILL get in somewhere if you apply to realistic schools.

Thanks for your input. Dont you think studying and retaking it in August and applying with a more balanced score, though late, will put me in a relatively better position?

Thanks for your input. Dont you think studying and retaking it in August and applying with a more balanced score, though late, will put me in a relatively better position?
I would apply now with your score rather than wait and retake. If you don't retake until August, no med school will read your application until September. By that time most of the seats will be taken because of rolling admissions. I'd say apply now, or if you retake, take a year off.

I would apply now with your score rather than wait and retake. If you don't retake until August, no med school will read your application until September. By that time most of the seats will be taken because of rolling admissions. I'd say apply now, or if you retake, take a year off.

Thanks a lot. The thing is that I have to retake to bring up my VR anyways so Im not sure if spending time on my applications rather than focusing on MCAT might be the right move considering MCAT is changing next year.... Sigh

If it were me, I would apply with the score you have and take my chances. Yeah it'll cost you $1,000 - $2,00o to apply, but a year of your life is worth a lot more than $2,000 if you get in and don't have to spend ANOTHER year studying for the MCAT and yadda yadda yadda. Especially with a 31 and a 4.0, you're probably fine. Especially with a good personal statement, ECs, and letters.

Thanks a lot. The thing is that I have to retake to bring up my VR anyways so Im not sure if spending time on my applications rather than focusing on MCAT might be the right move considering MCAT is changing next year.... Sigh

kinda shows you how crappy this process is when 2-3 more verbal questions right and you'd be a fairly strong applicant. is that point going to determine what kind of doctor you become? dumb.

Reactions: 1 users
kinda shows you how crappy this process is when 2-3 more verbal questions right and you'd be a fairly strong applicant. is that point going to determine what kind of doctor you become? dumb.

Now imagine how stupid it can get if I give up only because of VR. Ive spent months and months trying to improve my verbal and seeing my score after all the time Ive spent working through those hundreds and hundreds verbal passages just makes me feel sick of it.

Now imagine how stupid it can get if I give up only because of VR. Ive spent months and months trying to improve my verbal and seeing my score after all the time Ive spent working through those hundreds and hundreds verbal passages just makes me feel sick of it.

it's rough man but don't give up. keep chugging along, whatever it takes. you'll be a much more appreciative doctor someday because of it.

There have been studies that have shown that as long as you get a 24, you're just as likely as someone with a higher score to succeed in medical school. The fact that someone can be screened for a low verbal score is just ridiculous. Hang in there man.

it's rough man but don't give up. keep chugging along, whatever it takes. you'll be a much more appreciative doctor someday because of it.

There have been studies that have shown that as long as you get a 24, you're just as likely as someone with a higher score to succeed in medical school. The fact that someone can be screened for a low verbal score is just ridiculous. Hang in there man.

Thank you for your kind words guys, I really appreciate it, you guys are awesome

I'm in the same boat. My breakdown is 13/9/11 and we have the same total score.

English is my second language so I hope they have a bit leniency on my low verbal score. I did 20+ full-length passages in addition to the AAMC practice tests and some short passages and I was still not able to raise the score.

It is disappointing to think that the majority of applicants have done a lot better than me in verbal. I totally feel your pain.

Last edited:
9 is a good verbal score! It's much better than an 8.

And a 33 is a great overall score!

Last edited:
This. So much this.
The "requirements" are there because they are looking for applicants who are dedicated and have seriously considered what they are getting themselves into. Students failing to complete the program is seriously bad for business if you're a medical school, so they look for applicants with strong academic records (i.e., the ability to complete the coursework), and a demonstrated dedication to, and understanding of, the medical profession. What makes a student with a strong record and a broad array of ECs "fake"?

I'm a non-traditional (27 y/o undergrad), and I do sometimes feel like I'm checking boxes, but my EC experience, without exception, represents the things I'm truly interested in, and the reasons I want to go into medicine.

The "requirements" are there because they are looking for applicants who are dedicated and have seriously considered what they are getting themselves into. Students failing to complete the program is seriously bad for business if you're a medical school, so they look for applicants with strong academic records (i.e., the ability to complete the coursework), and a demonstrated dedication to, and understanding of, the medical profession. What makes a student with a strong record and a broad array of ECs "fake"?

I'm a non-traditional (27 y/o undergrad), and I do sometimes feel like I'm checking boxes, but my EC experience, without exception, represents the things I'm truly interested in, and the reasons I want to go into medicine.

But as you just said, you feel as though you're just "checking boxes" at times. That means you're doing things you probably have no interest in / feel aren't necessary. That's all they're referring to. No one is going to be 100% honest on their application / in their interview. We're all going to elevate our experiences, avoid talking about previous perhaps undocumented mistakes in the past, etc.

None of us will be completely honest, that's all. We're pretty much all fake in that regard. ^_*

But as you just said, you feel as though you're just "checking boxes" at times. That means you're doing things you probably have no interest in / feel aren't necessary. That's all they're referring to. No one is going to be 100% honest on their application / in their interview. We're all going to elevate our experiences, avoid talking about previous perhaps undocumented mistakes in the past, etc.

None of us will be completely honest, that's all. We're pretty much all fake in that regard. ^_*
*Cue Morpheus*

"Welcome to the real world, Neo.."

^ yeah... pretty sure people do that in their facebook profiles, while dating, to their kids... [that's life].

i'm sure they'll ask me during my interview why i'm applying later in life and what i've been doing inbetween, and i'm going to be honest with them, regardless of how it's perceived - i got live out a dream of mine traveling the world and occasionally DJing. as much as i want to be a doctor for the rest of my life, it wasn't the only thing i ever wanted to do period. i've been able to check a lot of those personal life goal boxes off in my 20's. my EC's are obviously going to be very different from the norm, but i've been to 70 countries - wouldn't trade for anything. an acceptance is something you earn, not the end product of having a X.X gpa and 3X mcat - plenty of people with great stats don't get in, whether it's their fault for applying too high or the system's fault for not judging them as potential real world physicians isn't the same in all cases. just worry about what you can control and what you want out of life, not just in terms of medical school or career, and let it all play out.

Reactions: 1 users
So, I took almost 20 full length verbal tests and my aamc average for verbal was 9.5 (highest 13, lowest 8). That being said, i somehow made a 6 in verbal on the actual mcat. Any guesses as to why this happened? Also, any advice on how to study again, as I will be retaking again solely due to verbal?

So, I took almost 20 full length verbal tests and my aamc average for verbal was 9.5 (highest 13, lowest 8). That being said, i somehow made a 6 in verbal on the actual mcat. Any guesses as to why this happened? Also, any advice on how to study again, as I will be retaking again solely due to verbal?
That's what happened to me. I was so shocked to receive a 6. But then, I did run out of time and had to randomly guess on so many questions. Did you run out of time? I re-took the MCAT for verbal, and this time I tried to do at least one verbal passage everyday. It helped me keep the momentum, and I think I did way better this time.

That's what happened to me. I was so shocked to receive a 6. But then, I did run out of time and had to randomly guess on so many questions. Did you run out of time? I re-took the MCAT for verbal, and this time I tried to do at least one verbal passage everyday. It helped me keep the momentum, and I think I did way better this time.
Yes, time was an issue. I spent wayyy too long on the first passage and that put me behind for the rest of the test. The more i think about it, i think my physical was soo hard that it threw me off my game in verbal (ironically, i did well in physical). I am retaking sept 18 and hope to make around what i was averaging. How did your second go around turn out? Did you study differently?

Yes, time was an issue. I spent wayyy too long on the first passage and that put me behind for the rest of the test. The more i think about it, i think my physical was soo hard that it threw me off my game in verbal (ironically, i did well in physical). I am retaking sept 18 and hope to make around what i was averaging. How did your second go around turn out? Did you study differently?
Same here! I spent so much time on the first one. I still remember what the passage was about...-__- There was one question that seemed easy but was actually confusing. I haven't received my score yet, but I could answer more questions the second time. I had to guess on 3 questions b/c I had just enough time to read half the passage. It sucks...b/c the passage was actually easy and interesting. I cannot emphasize more how important it is to just make an educated guess and move on.
I just focused on timing when I prepared for the second test. I made sure I had enough time left when I did EK101. I got 12's on those...but as you know, the real AAMC passages are longer...so I don't know if I actually got a 12 on mine.

Same here! I spent so much time on the first one. I still remember what the passage was about...-__- There was one question that seemed easy but was actually confusing. I haven't received my score yet, but I could answer more questions the second time. I had to guess on 3 questions b/c I had just enough time to read half the passage. It sucks...b/c the passage was actually easy and interesting. I cannot emphasize more how important it is to just make an educated guess and move on.
I just focused on timing when I prepared for the second test. I made sure I had enough time left when I did EK101. I got 12's on those...but as you know, the real AAMC passages are longer...so I don't know if I actually got a 12 on mine.
I gotcha, how did you feel in the sciences? like did you study them much?

I just went over the questions that I remembered from the last MCAT. I focused on those just in case.......but they were not on the test, except one. I went over all the practice tests again (not the bio passages), bought the self-assessment packet, and practice #4. i also did practice tests in a kaplan prep book for chemistry and physics. i wanted to go over my tprh science book that i did last year but didn't have time for it since i was working in a lab and had to spend a lot of time on my project. i recommend the sa verbal questions. nothing can beat the aamc materials.
i realized that it doesn't matter if i did well on the practice tests or not. your condition and/or mindset on the test day determines your performance. it sucks in a way b/c you're supposed to show how well you can do by doing 52 questions in a short period. oh, btw, i drank a 5-hr energy drink, and it worked. i didn't drink coffee last time b/c i thought it would make me take a bathroom break; however, that was a big mistake. from my experiences, i figured out that i do a lot better when i have caffeine in my system. i drank a 5-hr energy drink one hour before my test, and then i drank gatorade. voila! i didn't have to take a bathroom break during the whole test (including the trial section). if you don't regularly drink coffee, i don't recommend it.

Retook the 26 I received on May 31 on August 15 and raised it to a 30. went from 9,9,8 to 9,11,10. So excited :)

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats on the score, Jaspy. Mind sharing what your plan--Did you do anything differently in your studies? Did you take new practice FL's or retake the AAMC's?

Congrats on the score, Jaspy. Mind sharing what your plan--Did you do anything differently in your studies? Did you take new practice FL's or retake the AAMC's?

Most of my studying was done before my first test.
The First time:
Physics and GenChem- The Berkeley review books (basically SN2ed method)
Chads MCAT videos
A little bit of wikipremed

Verbal- passages from a few verbal books but I really didn't prep for verbal much

Bio- EK Bio, I just read it through about 2x, I didn't like any of the problems I found so I didn't do many

OChem- The Berkeley review and Chad

I also did all the AAMC practice tests, in order, under real test conditions

Second time-
I was ok with my PS score but knew I could do better on VR and BS. I did not employ my VR strategy during the test so I didn't take any more time to study, just remembered to use my strategy (super engaged reading, making comments to myself to get excited about the text even if its boring, literally sitting on the edge of my seat like I couldn't wait to read more).

For PS and BS I used the hyperlinks workbook and did as many passages as possible. I did not do any stand alone. I also read and took notes on the entire MCATREVIEW.ORG guide, which I think helped a lot. The week before the test I watched a ton of Chad.

I had already taken all of the AAMCs and didn't think it would be worth it to use another companies test, so I re did some of the AAMC section by section (skipping verbal) and then redid one under timed conditions.

I gotcha, how did you feel in the sciences? like did you study them much?
I retook the MCAT in August. My verbal score went up from 6 to 9. I think I could've done better if I had more time to do the last 3 questions. I think the key is to pick the best possible answer and move on.