The Official May 31, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

k12123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if there's a thread on this but I couldn't find one. If there is, please let me know! Anyway, I took the TBR course from September(ish?)-December and was going to take the exam on January but wasn't ready enough go forward. Anyway I will be starting SN2's 3 month plan either today or tomorrow using the TBR books as well as EKs with TBR, TPR, and AAMC FLs. So who's with me??

Members don't see this ad.

I have class until 1:15 PST. So I won't be able to check for at least an hour after they are posted. And then I have a three hour class after. So I won't even be able to celebrate.

Guys, I just realized I can't even drink tonight to celebrate/drown my sorrows because I'm on call :( sad realization.....

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a feeling that this is what it feels like to be led to the gallows..

Reactions: 8 users
That's the great thing about public forums- nobody has to ask me. Also, "Wikipedia isn't an accurate source!" is generally the argument of someone with no evidence for their position, though I'm certainly willing to hear any that exists (provided we all agree that the plural of "anecdote" is not "data"). As a matter of fact, the accuracy of Wikipedia has been studied in depth and found to be very similar to the Encyclopedia Britannica. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4530930.stm

With respect to orgone energy, Wilhelm Reich (the person who proposed it), like so many others touting pseudoscientific ideas, was trying to make money. His supposed discovery was examined by scientists including Einstein and found to have no basis whatsoever in reality. His mental health was in question by the end of his life; he was diagnosed as paranoid and became convinced that aliens were trying to destroy the planet by flying UFOs into our atmosphere and leaving deadly trails of dark orgone energy. He died in jail because he refused to stop selling quack medical devices rejected by the FDA that supposedly channeled this unobservable energy to cure literally any medical condition. Any. Which is the absolute most obvious hallmark of a scam artist (or, perhaps more charitably, someone who has very large gaps in scientific knowledge), as it has been through hundreds of years of people claiming that their untestable, unverifiable idea really works even though there's not a shred of evidence to support it.

That's why as future scientists and physicians, we hold the peer-review process in such high regard. That's the one thing that differentiates people with legitimate scientific ideas from people who are either just trying to scam you, or (e.g. in the case of Linus Pauling obsessed with the idea that Vitamin C megadoses cure cancer) have good intentions but who hold ideas that simply don't stand up under scientific scrutiny. That's why it's so important that we be willing to change our opinions, even if deeply held, when presented with new evidence and information. Can you imagine how primitive the field of medicine would be if we didn't have scientists and doctors willing to do that?

Now, more on point, that's not to say that I don't agree that positive visualization can help. I think you are probably more likely to do well on your MCAT because you practiced positive visualization. And that's great! Maybe the average MCAT score would even rise if more people practiced that. I agree that it can help, and I encourage you to continue. However, any benefit beyond chance isn't due to an unobservable, undetectable, magical "force" or "energy." It's due to extremely well-known, well-studied psychological phenomena.

Stay skeptical, my friends. (Said in the Dos Equis voice.)

I'm sorry, but I have to comment on this. I don't think I've ever posted on this forum before, but I wanted to correct an error that you (I'm sure quite innocently) have ended up repeating.

Linus Pauling did not advocate that massive dosages of ascorbic acid would cure cancer: he advocated intravenous administration of it. That is a subtle but obviously very important difference. I don't think I need to say to anyone here who is interested in medicine that the route of administration is very important and that it can have different effects based upon this (acidic environment, first pass metabolism, et cetera).

And Linus Pauling's theory concerning that does have some validity. There is a very interesting article about this here, and it is written by an allopathic doctor: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/12154.php .

Also, the Linus Pauling Institute has good information on this: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminC/ .

Orthomolecular medicine in general is also unfortunately a school that has received a great deal of propaganda, like the Eclectics. Consider the issue of histadelia. Here is an article noting the existence of histamine receptors in the brain, and some of their effects: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301008200000393 . And here is an article showing the detailed mapping of H3 receptors in--albeit, a rat brain--: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306452202001355 .

Things like niacin and methionine can cure histamine excess and there is nothing surprising about that if you understand biochemical pathways. What orthomolecular medicine does is to utilize these pathways and they use the fuel for these processes to upregulate and inhibit them: minerals, vitamins, proteins, and fats. There is no pseudo-science to this: it relies upon scientific studies and a good practitioner needs to have a very detailed understanding about what these various compounds do.

And concerning the propaganda that has been put out to serve economic interests, consider the case of Wilk v AMA: http://openjurist.org/635/f2d/1295/wilk-v-american-medical-association .

That really says it all. But I will close with a quote from the case:

Massive discovery had taken place in Wilk by the time New York had been filed. Upward of 100,000 documents had been filed and over 100 persons deposed. The bulk of these materials approximately 80-90 percent was not available to New York State or to anyone else, however, for they were covered by a protective order issued by the Wilk district court. This order, entered February 23, 1977, was issued on motion of the Wilk defendants and apparently was not opposed by plaintiffs. Among other things, it prohibits plaintiffs' counsel from revealing any document provided by defendants through discovery, forbids them to divulge even the content of discovery documents if stamped "confidential" by defendants, permits defendants to classify any deposition as "confidential," and provides a procedure for the sealing of documents and other materials.

In summary, it is quite useful to look at the sources themselves. Herbs, orthomolecular, Linus Pauling, etc, these aren't pseudoscience. I've read plenty of medical research articles on them and they have plenty of evidence. The problem with things like coconut oil is that they lack industrial concerns and, like powerful social lobbyists groups versus unorganized people, they tend to fall victim to propaganda.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, since I've been following this thread all morning, might as well chime in and say good luck to everybody! I'm getting more and more nervous as the time goes by, but trying to take my mind off of it as much as possible.

My prediction, once again.

Worst case: 8 PS, 9 VR, 9 BS = 26
Best case: 11 PS, 12 VR, 11 BS = 34

Predicted average: 9 PS, 10 VR, 10 BS = 29. FML.

Maybe predictions will help everyone pass the time?! :)

Currently feeling like it will be a 25,2 points lower than my lowest practice test. Hope I'm wrong..

I took # 10 FL as my diagnostic and got a 26. Hoping I at least did better than that! I heard the results weren't coming out until after 2 pm EST?

Hang in there everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry, but I have to comment on this. I don't think I've ever posted on this forum before, but I wanted to correct an error that you (I'm sure quite innocently) have ended up repeating.

Linus Pauling did not advocate that massive dosages of ascorbic acid would cure cancer: he advocated intravenous administration of it. That is a subtle but obviously very important difference. I don't think I need to say to anyone here who is interested in medicine that the route of administration is very important and that it can have different effects based upon this (acidic environment, first pass metabolism, et cetera).

And Linus Pauling's theory concerning that does have some validity. There is a very interesting article about this here, and it is written by an allopathic doctor: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/12154.php .

Also, the Linus Pauling Institute has good information on this: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminC/ .

Orthomolecular medicine in general is also unfortunately a school that has received a great deal of propaganda, like the Eclectics. Consider the issue of histadelia. Here is an article noting the existence of histamine receptors in the brain, and some of their effects: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301008200000393 . And here is an article showing the detailed mapping of H3 receptors in--albeit, a rat brain--: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306452202001355 .

Things like niacin and methionine can cure histamine excess and there is nothing surprising about that if you understand biochemical pathways. What orthomolecular medicine does is to utilize these pathways and they use the fuel for these processes to upregulate and inhibit them: minerals, vitamins, proteins, and fats. There is no pseudo-science to this: it relies upon scientific studies and a good practitioner needs to have a very detailed understanding about what these various compounds do.

And concerning the propaganda that has been put out to serve economic interests, consider the case of Wilk v AMA: http://openjurist.org/635/f2d/1295/wilk-v-american-medical-association .

That really says it all. But I will close with a quote from the case:

Massive discovery had taken place in Wilk by the time New York had been filed. Upward of 100,000 documents had been filed and over 100 persons deposed. The bulk of these materials approximately 80-90 percent was not available to New York State or to anyone else, however, for they were covered by a protective order issued by the Wilk district court. This order, entered February 23, 1977, was issued on motion of the Wilk defendants and apparently was not opposed by plaintiffs. Among other things, it prohibits plaintiffs' counsel from revealing any document provided by defendants through discovery, forbids them to divulge even the content of discovery documents if stamped "confidential" by defendants, permits defendants to classify any deposition as "confidential," and provides a procedure for the sealing of documents and other materials.

In summary, it is quite useful to look at the sources themselves. Herbs, orthomolecular, Linus Pauling, etc, these aren't pseudoscience. I've read plenty of medical research articles on them and they have plenty of evidence. The problem with things like coconut oil is that they lack industrial concerns and, like powerful social lobbyists groups versus unorganized people, they tend to fall victim to propaganda.

I get so tired of the argument of industrial conspiracies. You are trying to tell me that a whole group of people, many of whom went into medicine to help people, willing allow people to die so they can make money. Not buying it. Research is about 10 times harder and 20 times less definite than 98% of people realize.

Reactions: 1 users
Best of luck to everyone, I hope everyone hits their target score!!!

Already know of 4 that I have missed in physics and ran out of time on last verbal passage so just marked C on every answer. Hope my score doesn't suffer. Good Luck Everyone

Work is dead.... Ughhhh. I just need to do something for 4 hours!!!! Gonna watch the US vs Belgium game to attempt to distract myself

AAMC has posted when the scores are released for the last two test dates on their Facebook site. The scores came out 3:15 pm and 3:13 pm EST.

AAMC average: 38.4
AAMC 9, 10, 11: 38, 41, 38
Actual: 36
Comments: A bit disappointed because it is lower than I was hoping for especially because my last two practice tests were 41's. But it is above my retake value so I suppose I will be happy after a bit and realizing I don't have to retake:)

Last edited:
Test Date: 5/31/14
FL AAMC Average: 32.4
Post-test expected score: 29
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 32. 11/9/12
Comments:
I had never scored below an 11 on VR but I am happy with this score. I shall not be retaking. Glad I didn't bomb the physical science.

AAMC Average: 32

Post-test expected score: 29

Actual Score: 31 (10/10/11)

Comments: This is my first post on SDN, I have been watching this thread like a hawk though. I'm happy with the results and I hope everyone else gets what they were shooting for!

AAMC Average: 28
Post-test: 25
Actual: 27 (10/8/9)
I'm okay with this,not happy but not sad. According to others I should be ok to still get in with this score.

Reactions: 1 users
4 hours? Less than that, man. More like 1 hour, most likely. Unless you can't check at work...

I don't want to check at work... I will probably cry if I do bad and I don't want to cry in front of all the firefighters I work with haha. It's hard enough being a woman in this line of work! Can't. Show. Weakness. Also I don't want to be distracted while I'm with a patient. I don't think my patient care would suffer too much but you never know. I'm not expecting the best score....

Reactions: 3 users
This was my second MCAT:

1st: 9 PS, 10 VR, 9 BS (28)
2nd: 11 PS, 8 VR, 10 BS (29)

Is it bad that I only went up one point?? Also will schools take my initial 10 in verbal into account?

AAMC Average: 28
Post-test: 25
Actual: 27 (10/8/9)
I'm okay with this,not happy but not sad. According to others I should be ok to still get in with this score.
30 is the median score of admitted MD students, which means PLENTY of people get in with a lower score.

AAMC Average: 33-34

Post-test: had no clue, was extremely worried.

Actual: 34 (10VR, 11PS, 13BS)

Comments: This was my cutoff score. I guess I'm submitting my app. I'm relieved, but shocked that my verbal was so low--I was averaging a 12 with my practice tests, and I thought I bombed PS.

Someone please tell me I won't get screened out of MSTPs?

Test Date: 5/31/14
FL AAMC Average: 34
Post-test expected score: 28-33
Actual Score: 32 (PS / VR / BS) 13 /8 / 11
Comments:
A couple points below my average, and on par with my lowest AAMC practice. Not super pumped about it, but relieved to have this exam behind me. I am pretty shocked how poorly I did on VR, I felt great about this section. I'm thrilled about BS considering I could probably name 10 questions I know I got wrong. The MCAT gods work in mysterious ways.