*The Official May 6th, 2016 MCAT Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DannySCR

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to see who's with me in fighting this beast on May 6th. This could be a great place to help each other out, be it through study tips, mnemonics, or simply relieving stress. Nice to meet you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Quiet place, do 2 section at a time, then do review about why I missed stuff.

I did that for a few tests, but I started doing FL all the way through to help with stamina. When you say quiet, is it in isolation? I used to do FLs in a quiet study room, but even that was distracting since people were coming in and out. What's your actual strategy per section? I'm probing you because I think the majority of the test reasoning skills so maybe you can have a big jump once things just click.

I did that for a few tests, but I started doing FL all the way through to help with stamina. When you say quiet, is it in isolation? I used to do FLs in a quiet study room, but even that was distracting since people were coming in and out. What's your actual strategy per section? I'm probing you because I think the majority of the test reasoning skills so maybe you can have a big jump once things just click.

No, your not probing at all, I appreciate the feedback.

I did Exam Krackers (EK) and they did the whole content review, which was great, but there is just so much material, it is hard to cram everything in your head. I made notecards on all the subjects, and I have been reviewing them. Really helps on the Behavioral Science Section, but not much else.

I started out just doing exam krackers, and I must say, the EK tests are a lot easier than the AAMC. I started out at overall 30%, 40%, and now I'm pulling 50%. Its still not enough tho. Just did AAMC and the scores were 492.

I do my tests in a quiet study area at the library, and yeah, people come and go. I don't know where I could find isolated study rooms, Im not in school right now.

Currently, my strategy For each section is:

Chem/Phys: I nail each and every single Organic Chem question (Got an A in the class, really clicked for me), Gen Chem is a bit harder and anything with equations needed I just cut my losses. Im usually able to pull around the 124 range just on my Organic Chem knowledge about reactions and guessing on physics thing.

CARS: This one is always roller coster- my highest has been 125, lowest 120. Ive gotten a bit better at it, use to run out of time. Now, I take only 10 mins for each passage. I have trouble assimilating information into my brain without first writing things down, and then breaking up the info into notecard form. Something about breaking apart the info into my own words helps me to remember it, but I can't do that on a time constraint.

Bio/Biochem: I used to be terrible on this one, could only reach the 120 range. Ive bumped it up a bit to 123-124, but that is still too low. One thing I have found out to be helpful is to write down all the acronyms that they give you on the scratch paper as well as the relationships between different things. Example: Glucose going down decreases insulin. The thing tripping me up right now is amino acids, but I haven't memorized all of them yet. I can easily do that in the next two days however,

Behavioral: This is almost all Vocab terms. Luckily for me, these are prime targets for notecards, and I have had anywhere from 125-127 in this section.

If you have any advice, tips or tricks, please let me know! I really only need to crack 500, which I think is doable if I can just push my limits.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, your not probing at all, I appreciate the feedback.

I did Exam Krackers (EK) and they did the whole content review, which was great, but there is just so much material, it is hard to cram everything in your head. I made notecards on all the subjects, and I have been reviewing them. Really helps on the Behavioral Science Section, but not much else.

I started out just doing exam krackers, and I must say, the EK tests are a lot easier than the AAMC. I started out at overall 30%, 40%, and now I'm pulling 50%. Its still not enough tho. Just did AAMC and the scores were 492.

I do my tests in a quiet study area at the library, and yeah, people come and go. I don't know where I could find isolated study rooms, Im not in school right now.

Currently, my strategy For each section is:

Chem/Phys: I nail each and every single Organic Chem question (Got an A in the class, really clicked for me), Gen Chem is a bit harder and anything with equations needed I just cut my losses. Im usually able to pull around the 124 range just on my Organic Chem knowledge about reactions and guessing on physics thing.

CARS: This one is always roller coster- my highest has been 125, lowest 120. Ive gotten a bit better at it, use to run out of time. Now, I take only 10 mins for each passage. I have trouble assimilating information into my brain without first writing things down, and then breaking up the info into notecard form. Something about breaking apart the info into my own words helps me to remember it, but I can't do that on a time constraint.

Bio/Biochem: I used to be terrible on this one, could only reach the 120 range. Ive bumped it up a bit to 123-124, but that is still too low. One thing I have found out to be helpful is to write down all the acronyms that they give you on the scratch paper as well as the relationships between different things. Example: Glucose going down decreases insulin. The thing tripping me up right now is amino acids, but I haven't memorized all of them yet. I can easily do that in the next two days however,

Behavioral: This is almost all Vocab terms. Luckily for me, these are prime targets for notecards, and I have had anywhere from 125-127 in this section.

If you have any advice, tips or tricks, please let me know! I really only need to crack 500, which I think is doable if I can just push my limits.
I started with a diagnostic of 484 so I get your situation. What made me get to the 500+ range was primarily heavy content review. With a strong content background you can make that leap on a test date further out. After you have your content fairly down, you can focus on tweaking your strategy. Take it with a grain of salt, its just my take on it. You'll make it

What's your strategy for each section? Are you doing tests in a quiet environment completely free of distractions?
I started with a diagnostic of 484 so I get your situation. What made me get to the 500+ range was primarily heavy content review. With a strong content background you can make that leap on a test date further out. After you have your content fairly down, you can focus on tweaking your strategy. Take it with a grain of salt, its just my take on it. You'll make it

How did you cram all the content into your brain? What material and method did you use?

How did you cram all the content into your brain? What material and method did you use?
Well, I just read. You don't need to have every miniscule detail down, you just have to understand the concept broadly enough to use it in different contexts

IMO if you're scoring <500 it's a content issue not a test taking issue.

See what content you're weak on and re-read those chapters, watch khan videos, search google etc.

I'm taking this test on the 14th. So far, my scores have been NS 1 505, NS 2 501, NS 3 501, NS 4 500, EK 1 53%, and unscored 36%, 74%, 59%, and 66% (while ago). At this point, I'm just going to take it and pray to get into a low tier DO school. Do you guys have any idea what kind of score this can realistically translate to? Will take the scored this weekend.

I'm taking this test on the 14th. So far, my scores have been NS 1 505, NS 2 501, NS 3 501, NS 4 500, EK 1 53%, and unscored 36%, 74%, 59%, and 66% (while ago). At this point, I'm just going to take it and pray to get into a low tier DO school. Do you guys have any idea what kind of score this can realistically translate to? Will take the scored this weekend.

I believe people on the forum have said that Next Step is notorious for being very easy. I know first hand after taking the official AAMC test, Exam Krackers tests are also pretty easy compared to the AAMC.

I believe people on the forum have said that Next Step is notorious for being very easy. I know first hand after taking the official AAMC test, Exam Krackers tests are also pretty easy compared to the AAMC.
Really? I've always heard the opposite, or that the more recent MCATs are at a similar level of difficulty to NS and EK.

Same with me. Now, I'm scared.

They are definitely not easier than AAMC exams. That being said, I think people think the curve for Next Step exams is too generous. This has not been my case, but perhaps it varies. I've heard the real MCAT is on par w/ Next Step exams, but remember AAMC has their own style as per the Section Banks.

They are definitely not easier than AAMC exams. That being said, I think people think the curve for Next Step exams is too generous. This has not been my case, but perhaps it varies. I've heard the real MCAT is on par w/ Next Step exams, but remember AAMC has their own style as per the Section Banks.

So if I average a 501 on NS, then that may be my AAMC test score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? I've always heard the opposite, or that the more recent MCATs are at a similar level of difficulty to NS and EK.

Different folks n strokes. I just took the AAMC and thought it was harder than EK. Take with a grain of salt. Your mileage may vary.

I feel, as a general rule, test prep companies FLs are harder than the real thing.

Unfortunately the 4/23 test was abit harder than scored and closer to NS

I'm in a rut, I know. I'm going to take the MCAT next week, and just hope for the best.

Not to scare you, but you might be looking at sub 500. ~55% on EK is not where you want to be (I'm disregarding NS since their lower end score is too generous). I would suggest you cancel or sit and void unless you're set on applying this upcoming cycle.

Did anyone thinks CARS on the Scored FL was a *****, I got a 123, lowest score yet :(, don't know if this is an outlier or if I should be worried.........

How are you making it to the 500 mark? Thats all I want to do, but it seems that I can't break through. Do you have any trouble focusing on the passages when you read them, I know I do. My stamina just isn't there.
500 based on what test? Most test company's test are not reliable use AAMC scored as an indicator

Did anyone thinks CARS on the Scored FL was a *****, I got a 123, lowest score yet :(, don't know if this is an outlier or if I should be worried.........

I got the same score and yea it sucked. Not sure what to expect on the real thing either. I think I've gotten worse at cars the more I've practiced.

I got the same score and yea it sucked. Not sure what to expect on the real thing either. I think I've gotten worse at cars the more I've practiced.

ME too. uggh, my baseline was a 126. i just wanted to bring it up 1 point, but went down 3, how does that make sense?

My NS was on par with my scored full length

Mine too! On the higher end of my range, but definitely within the range, no surprise there.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes the passages were awful! Hoping we get passages that are more interesting and easier to follow on Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

And apparently its easier than the actual. Was the scored a tough curve for cars or pretty standard? I refuse to fall below 50% percentile in cars!!

I thought the scored CARS was easy.... WTT CARS points at 1:2 for somebody's C/P and B/B points please.

I thought the scored CARS was easy.... WTT CARS points at 1:2 for somebody's C/P and B/B points please.

WTT 45 mins from Psych/Soc and allocate 15 mins each to C/P, CARS, and B/B. That would honestly do wonders for me.

Crying about everything I don't know. Praying for minimal physics because at this point I'm just a lost cause. Metabolic & bio review sheets & practicing my cheat sheet.
lie_down__try_not_to_cry__cry_a_lot_combo_by_badflippy-d5t596e-630x322.jpg

For real though, just light review, and probably more time reviewing the AAMC scored.

How spending tomorrow??
I'm going to force myself to spend less than 2 hours on any sort of last minute review, because deep down, I'm certain having a clear, relaxed mind for Friday is what will determine whether I perform above my avg score or below. Maybe I'll take a walk in the morning, guzzle a green smoothie, pamper myself with a face mask or something, catch up on TV, and get my butt to bed by like 9pm.

Spend tomorrow morning from 8am to 12 or 1pm doing some CARS in order to prime myself for Friday, review my cheat sheet, and perhaps review some oddball topics in chem and physics. I agree with the other poster: I intend to take tomorrow easy in order to build up stamina and proper mentality.

I plan on finishing this great book called the blood of strangers. Highly recommend for others it's fairly short too!

Anyone else realize that if you're on the border of a score (for example 127-128) 4 questions could potentially = a difference in 4 points (1 point each section)

That can either be a really good thing or a bad thing

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have a handy mnemonic or other way to remember products of the various forms of radioactive decay? I can't seem to get them straight!

Does anyone have a handy mnemonic or other way to remember products of the various forms of radioactive decay? I can't seem to get them straight!

not a mnemonic but B- decay is neutron to proton. The - sign in my head looks like an an arrow pointing to the right, so the original element shifts to the right on the periodic table. An electron, also -, and an antineutrino are lost too. Beta + is proton to neutron, its got to be opposite of beta -, so the original elements shifts to left on the table. A positron, also +, and a neutrino are lost. For ALpha decay, ALl that is lost is an ALpha particle, which is just a helium atom. And lastly gamma decay is just a photon because gamma. I'm terrible with mnemonics but my brain is full of way too many ridiculous reasonings for remembering stuff like this.

Last day guys! Finish your last minute studying early, relax, adjust your mindset, and believe in yourself that you'll kill it!

hi quick panic question== so the amine group of the amino acid is protonated right and the carboxy group is deprotonated at a pH of 7. Why on the unscored #47
What is the net charge of both pantothenate and phosphopantothenate in aqueous solution at pH 7?
the amides not protonated? When do you protonate vs not= it's at a ph 7 and in aqueous solution.

Thanks!!

Amides are always neutral. Just like in Asn and Gln, the amide group is uncharged.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

hi quick panic question== so the amine group of the amino acid is protonated right and the carboxy group is deprotonated at a pH of 7. Why on the unscored #47
What is the net charge of both pantothenate and phosphopantothenate in aqueous solution at pH 7?
the amides not protonated? When do you protonate vs not= it's at a ph 7 and in aqueous solution.

Thanks!!
Protonation occurs when the pKa of the functional group >pH of the solution. This means that the functional group is more basic than the solution and thus likely to accept a proton. Deprontonation happens when pH>pKa. This makes sense since when the solution is more basic, it is likely to abstract the proton from the functional group (which is more acidic in this case). In the case of amides, it is not protonated because it has a pKa that is lower than 7. Amides are also known as acid amides so it must have a pKa less than 1. If you don't know that, you can deduce it from its structure. Amides have resonance so it can stabilize the negative charge on its conjugate base. So it is more likely to act as an acid than a base. So when it is in a solution that is more basic than itself, it will more likely to be deprotonated than protonated. Hope this helps. If I am wrong, please correct me.

I'm a ball of nerves today. I'm going to review some flashcards, go over the FL and some of the SB but that's about it for today. I'm going to my favorite italian restaurant tonight for dinner and I'm gonna max on some gnocchi. Going to bed relatively early but probably won't be able to sleep much. Good luck to everyone!! I will give my final thoughts of the exam when I get back Friday. We got this guys!!

Thanks!!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mcat/comments/3hdz5x/aamc_help_question_47_in_pc_involves_charges/

Had the same problem. Very tricky question

Has anyone spent a lot of time/effort to cover Systemic & Pulmonary circulation? Obviously the pathways involving AV node/Vagus nerve/ SA node/Punk fibers are

Thanks!!

Well, The Pantothenate should just be a -1 at pH= 7 due to loss of its' proton in the Carboxylic Acid. The Phosphopantothenate has a phosphate group with two additional hydroxyl groups that can be deprotonated and will likely be a -3 that can be resonance stabilized with the loss of the two protons plus the carboxyl group. The Amide is neutral and not protonated, not the same as an amine (-NH2) seen in basic amino acids.

Has anyone spent a lot of time/effort to cover Systemic & Pulmonary circulation? Obviously the pathways involving AV node/Vagus nerve/ SA node/Punk fibers are

Well, The Pantothenate should just be a -1 at pH= 7 due to loss of its' proton in the Carboxylic Acid. The Phosphopantothenate has a phosphate group with two additional hydroxyl groups that can be deprotonated and will likely be a -3 that can be resonance stabilized with the loss of the two protons plus the carboxyl group. The Amide is neutral and not protonated, not the same as an amine (-NH2) seen in basic amino acids.

How do we know that the phosphate is for sure deprotonated. I get that it is resonance stabilized but w/o the pKa I was unsure...