*The Official May 6th, 2016 MCAT Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DannySCR

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to see who's with me in fighting this beast on May 6th. This could be a great place to help each other out, be it through study tips, mnemonics, or simply relieving stress. Nice to meet you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
For those of you who thought CARS was long, how much longer did it take you to read through the passages vs. score/unscored FL?

Usually finish w/ 15-20? Had around 10-15 minutes, I would say. Tbh, I didn't think they were substantially longer, but I might have been happy since I was out of disaster zone (C/P) and onto greener pastures.

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you who thought CARS was long, how much longer did it take you to read through the passages vs. score/unscored FL?

I'm not sure - once I realized it's long I started to speed up. Every passage was 600+ words at least

I honestly don't think they were longer. I finished with the same amount of time left that I did in practice FLs. The font is much bigger which made it seem longer since you had to scroll down a bit more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chem/Phys: usually my worst section. Thought it was really hard. Lots of math, very little dedicated ochem/physics. Kinda nervous about this section.
CARS: Absolute breeze. I hope I didn't fall into a MCAT trap here but this felt like the easiest CARS I had ever done before.
Bio: Felt comparable to scored sample test. Somewhere in difficulty between the Qpacks and Section Bank. Think I did pretty well.
Psych: 2nd hardest after chem for me. Lots of seemingly easy questions with not so intuitive answer choices. Hard than the scored sample test for sure.

While it didn't bother me because I finished with spare time, I also noticed the CARS passages were significantly longer than practice tests I've done

Ok psych was nothing like I've seen before. 80%+ usually on practices. But today... I hope I got 60%. I really hope I don't have to take this hell of an exam again

Ok psych was nothing like I've seen before. 80%+ usually on practices. But today... I hope I got 60%. I really hope I don't have to take this hell of an exam again
Feels right here

Members don't see this ad :)
That icky feeling when you realize you made a dumb mistake :( :( :(

I made a reeaaaaaally dumb mistake.... I knew right when I got to the question, "crap, this should be free points, but I don't remember" :( Thought I figured it out, but looking it up now I see that I was wrong. At least that was the only gimmie I can think of that I missed.

C/P: Had to rush on 2 passages, but didn't find the overall section too difficult. I think I was just being a bit too careful with my answer choices and lost track of time. :/
CARS: 2 passages threw me off a bit, but the rest were fairly straight forward.
B/B: Reminded me of SB but with a lot of gimme questions. Pretty easy to follow but I too realized I made a mistake on an answer and I want to bash my head into a wall for it.
P/S: Yup, this one had some really convoluted questions and some long passages. Probably the hardest P/S I've taken so.... I guess I should hope it was difficult for everyone so I can retain my relatively high score in that section?

Meh. And of course I get stuck in 1.5 hours of rain and traffic afterwards. I think I'm just going to sleep until Sunday.

That was brutal.

C/P: Actually easier than I had expected.
CARS: More straight forward but I ran out of time. Very frustrating.
Bio: Hard.
P/S: One weird passage I didn't fully understand and unexpected terms here and there but nothing unexpected.

Reactions: 1 users
Holy s**t. I'm so glad to be done with that. My CARS was insanely difficult, and that's been my best section. C/P was as expected; it's my worst section but it was definitely fair. I felt like my B/B was pretty tough as well; several passages that reminded me of the SB. I thought P/S was the easiest, which was welcome because I didn't sleep too well and my mind was definitely wandering by the last section. Can't tell if I broke 500 or got 510+, but I feel like it was fair overall.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Think we may have had the same test.

Man I'm not sure if I royally ****ed up, if that's how you're supposed to feel, or what.

My C/P caught me off guard. I really suck at physics lol.
CARS was fair.
B/B went pretty smoothly, although there were a few topics I should have brushed up on.
P/S I was getting burnt out by the end. It was typical, a few terms I didn't know.

Got a 507 on FL scored for comparison.

We had the same exam 100%. If I stop being neurotic, I come to same conclusions as you. I finished a little slower than you as well.

I think we got the same. At least others thought C P was not easy.

That was much harder than the AAMC practice exam. I got a 516 on the practice but I'm thinking ridiculously below that for this.

C/P: Actually not so bad for me but I'm more of a Chem person than a Bio person. They even gave a few decently easy questions to maybe say sorry for the P/S about to come.

CARS: Not too bad. Harder than the AAMC practice exam but on par with the CARS pack, imo, since some of those passages in the pack are longer than the U.S. Constitution to prepare you for the long ones in the actual exam. Some really did feel like the scrolling would never stop. Skimming helped a lot.

B/B: There was more rote memorization expected from Biochem than I thought. As I said, I'm not so much a Bio person (I know, I know, weird for a pre-med) so this section was harder for me than C/P but not hellish. Just made me slightly sadder for my score.

P/S: This was my nightmare. I swear I marked at least 20-something of these suckers 'cause I didn't know what the heck was going on. I know for sure I got one wrong because I literally thought 'What the...' when I saw the question and was traumatized enough to remember the question and the question options so I searched them on my phone afterwards. Too much rote memorization for me in this section and I suck at that.

Overall, I give the MCAT a 7.3/10. There's definitely room for improvement, AAMC. Making your next practice exam more difficult for future test takers would be a step in the right direction.

Guys, I have just totally messed up my day

I arrived at the center at 7 am but when I start checking in at 7:30, I realized I left my passport in the taxi.......even though I immediately rushed to get it back, it was too late. I was not allowed to take the test.
I feel like it was the worst day ever in my life and I have disappointed everyone who has supported me. All the efforts and passages I have done these few weeks are now for nothing. How can I be so careless and stupid :(

Last edited:
Yeah, I noticed CARS wea
Guys, I am just totally messed up my day

I arrived at the center at 7 am but when I start checking in at 7:30, I realized I left my passport in the taxi.......even though I immediately rushed to get it back, it was too late. I was not allowed to take the test.
I feel like it was the worst day ever in my life and I have disappointed everyone who has supported me. All the efforts and passages I have done these few weeks are now for nothing. How can I be so careless and stupid :(

You can sign up for May 14th date tomorrow, no big deal. That testing center is lame. The one I went to allowed people to take it early or late. I STARTED my test at 0716 today.

Yeah, I noticed CARS wea

You can sign up for May 14th date tomorrow, no big deal. That testing center is lame. The one I went to allowed people to take it early or late. I STARTED my test at 0716 today.
It already passed the silver zone. The earliest one I can sign up for is 2 June. I just hope it won't be too late for the admission cycle. The proctor in my center was very strict about the starting time.

C/P: About on par with some of the easier Kaplan FLs. Felt that I had to do a ton of number crunching, but process of elimination helped a ton when I got a number that did not round perfectly. Not the m0st difficult C/P section I've done, but far from the easiest. Slightly more difficult than the scored FL.

CARS: First time I ever finished this section. Some questions/answers were a bit convoluted and difficult to process, but I think it was easier than the scored FL. What really bummed me out was how boring some of the passages were--nothing tanks my focus more.

B/B: Probably the easiest section for me. A good amount of rote memorization and experimental reasoning, with the tougher questions coming from the latter. About on par with the scored FL.

P/S: I'm not sure how I feel about this section in retrospect. A lot of rote memorization seemed required, but most of the answers choices were easy to eliminate. The passages were longer than expected, with fewer figures than I've encountered in the past. I also felt that the scale teetered towards sociology more so than psychology, so that was new to me. Probably the most difficult P/S section I've encountered, but I generally score well (129-130). More difficult than the scored FL, but on par with most Kaplan exams surprisingly.

Overall: I'm so happy to be done with this exam. I skimmed through the forum, and I don't think I studied as diligently as you all. All I did was read the Kaplan books over the summer, use the MCAT question of the day app on my phone to go through random questions and refresh on topics in my free time, did a good amount of the Khan Academy passages, and took Kaplan FL 1-3 (507/505/506), Next Step Prep FL 1 (513), and the AAMC scored FL (509--scored a 125 on CARS which tanked my score). After it's all said and done, I'm not sure if studying had the biggest impact on my scores. I felt like my performance was determined by the already countless hours I had committed to pre-med courses and the thoughts and conversations I've had with friends, colleagues, professors, etc. To those studying for the MCAT: have faith in yourselves. You've been implicitly preparing for this throughout your studies. You'll reap what you sow. On another note: avoid burn out! I gave myself a few days a week to decompress and let information be integrated into larger semantic networks. I spent the day before the exam sleeping, indulging, and being an absolute sloth--no regrets! All went fine.

Congrats on finishing everyone, and if you're feeling doubtful, this is the interaction I had with my dad after the exam:
Dad: You should be very proud of yourself.
Me: I just don't feel that way. There are so many doubts, so many things ahead.
Dad: Well I bet I'm positive of one thing: You're closer than where you started.

You all are gifted. Let's be honest. If the thought of practicing medicine and changing human lives is what sets your heart on fire, you will find a way to reach your goals. Hoping your futures are filled with those white coats you deserve.

(Also, I'm tipsy, so please forgive the ranting).

Last edited:
C/P: passages were really tough to digest. Typically I finish with plenty of time to review my answers(~15 minutes) but only 2 minutes left.

CARS: somewhat on par with scored FL; some really awful passages in the middle.

B/B: Learning to really analyze/understand the experiments/studies provided has increased my score a tremendous amount. Same here for this section. Also contained a good portion of route memorization information that hit my strong points.

P/S: Has been my lowest score all throughout prep. REALLY buckled down with KA and my TPR book. Felt like I guess a lot. :/

Glad to be done.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Anyone here want to admit to being the guy who rolled in at 0750 with a frappuccinno (and no other food for the day)? Same guy who is asking me if I could explain the structures of amino acids as they are calling me in to check in for my test.
Not trying to be a jerk but you really helped with my anxiety at that point :).

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Anyone here want to admit to being the guy who rolled in at 0750 with a frappuccinno (and no other food for the day)? Same guy who is asking me if I could explain the structures of amino acids as they are calling me in to check in for my test.

What a legend

Reactions: 7 users

they probably got 528

Woke up this morning realizing I had missed at least 2 more easy questions... It's gonna be a long month until 6/7!

As I was sitting waiting to check in, I thought about how statistically, half the people around me would score less than 500... SDN makes you forget about those people.

Reactions: 3 users

Did he at least look cool?

Had some Clary sage & lavender strips in my locker; definitely helped relieve my anxiety on breaks.

Is anyone else going to continue studying in case they have to retake? I really want to apply this cycle. I'm non-trad and can't stand the thought of waiting any longer.

Is anyone else going to continue studying in case they have to retake? I really want to apply this cycle. I'm non-trad and can't stand the thought of waiting any longer.
I'm submitting my app; requesting all my transcripts this week. Should do the same-takes about 4-6 weeks (so I've read) to verify that information.

Was just talking to my wife about this...my brain can't move on until I know I do or don't have to retake. Going to take a week break and start reading my behavioural sciences book again.

Last edited:
Can someone quickly explain the application process to me?

So we can fill out our amcas application now and submit it on June 7th or so? Then we have to wait about 4-6 weeks until schools give us their secondary applications? Additionally, can we upload our transcripts directly onto the amcas or do we have to send it to each individual school?

As I was sitting waiting to check in, I thought about how statistically, half the people around me would score less than 500... SDN makes you forget about those people.

Just keep reminding yourself that people who do badly tend to not want to talk about it while people who do well tend to not want to stop talking about it. That's what I say to myself, anyway, as I cry myself to sleep thinking about that dang P/S section. It would seriously suck to have to apply next cycle since I heard you have to re-submit letters of recommendation and I couldn't imagine my professors wanting to recommend someone again after they apparently failed once.

It's been one day and not only do I vividly remember several questions but I have been all over the place as to how I think I did.

Has anyone paid for a retake just as a precaution? If I remember you could get half a refund bit that's it if you decide not to actually write it...

It's been one day and not only do I vividly remember several questions but I have been all over the place as to how I think I did.

Has anyone paid for a retake just as a precaution? If I remember you could get half a refund bit that's it if you decide not to actually write it...

I 100% agree. That being said, I'm not going to pay for a retake until I get my scores. I'll probably go back through Khan in my weak areas, but I'll wait for the final score report before I lose any more expendable income.

I 100% agree. That being said, I'm not going to pay for a retake until I get my scores. I'll probably go back through Khan in my weak areas, but I'll wait for the final score report before I lose any more expendable income.

I totally agree. I am concerned though if seats will be taken up by 6/7 for August seats. I live in a fairly metropolitan area.

I did the worst in chem physics and I think maybe one thing I can do that is not intellectually difficult is to memorize physics equations? What do others recommend to do that is not too tasking regarding the Chem and physics section? God I don't even want to think about it and I am half believing I won't need it but I would feel pretty crappie if I just waste an entire month.....

Last edited:
I totally agree. I am concerned though if seats will be taken up by 6/7 for August seats. I live in a fairly metropolitan area.

I did the worst in chem physics and I think maybe one thing I can do that is not intellectually difficult is to memorize physics equations? What do others recommend to do that is not too tasking regarding the Chem and physics section? God I don't even want to think about it and I am half believing I won't need it but I would feel pretty crappie if I just waste an entire month.....

Yeah I'm going to study as if I'm going to retake but not spend the money to register until I know for sure. I'm in a metro area as well but I think it's easy enough to find seats; I'd be willing to drive to another nearby testing center if I had to.

Same. I'm going to keep studying casually until the scores come out then see if I really have to kick it up a notch or settle down and be happy. But I'm probably going to just register for the July exam to be safe. I REALLY don't want to apply next cycle... I seriously think this month is going to make me even more stressed than last month... I don't understand why scoring has to take a month!!

Yeah I'm going to study as if I'm going to retake but not spend the money to register until I know for sure. I'm in a metro area as well but I think it's easy enough to find seats; I'd be willing to drive to another nearby testing center if I had to.

Somewhat surprising; seemed like there were only 2 other people at my center taking the MCAT.

Do they pretty much scatter test dates all summer?

Same. I'm going to keep studying casually until the scores come out then see if I really have to kick it up a notch or settle down and be happy. But I'm probably going to just register for the July exam to be safe. I REALLY don't want to apply next cycle... I seriously think this month is going to make me even more stressed than last month... I don't understand why scoring has to take a month!!
July exam then the result will be released in August. Would it be too late for next cycle? I am also struggling for this. Planning to register June 2nd