The Official May 8, 2014 MCAT thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southpawcannon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yep, that just happened. And no, I'm not studying tonight. Are you cray cray? Just watching college football and opening my box from Berkeley Review that finally arrived. Prep commences tomorrow!

Members don't see this ad.

Test Date: May 8th, 2014

AAMC Average: 30

Post-test expected score: 27

Actual Score: 27

Comments: **** this. Love you guys, thanks for being so supportive of each other. On to the re-take.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Test Date: May 08
AAMC Average: 38
Post-test expected score: 39
Actual Score: 37 (11/12/14) (v/p/b)

Comments:
damn that verbal section.

Test Date: 5/8/14
AAMC Average: 35
Post-test expected score: 28-32
Actual Score: 30 (9 / 10 / 11)
Comments:
Lowest PS/VR scores ever. But I won't be reataking. Very shocked about VR, thought I nailed it. Oh well best of luck!
atleast you were in your expected range!

AAMC Average: low 30s
Post-test expected score: 25-30
Actual Score: 37 (12 / 12 / 13)
Comments:
Holy mother of ****!!!!! I'm having heart attack right now. I just gave a homeless man $60 and i'm dying. Idk if they mixed my exam up but OMG OMGOMGGG

Reactions: 32 users
Test date: May 8, 2014

AAMC Avg: 31

Post Test Expectation: 25

Actual Score: 27 (7/10/10)

FML... Back to studying....

Comments:
Holy mother of ****!!!!! I'm having heart attack right now. I just gave a homeless man $60 and i'm dying. Idk if they mixed my exam up but OMG OMGOMGGG

Ayy and u were saying you wouldnt do well

Reactions: 1 users
PS 9 VR 13 BS11 33
AAMC Average 35.
Slightly disappointed, but relieved to be over 30. I am a retaker, previous score was a 29. PS was a real b&% on this one though. Thanks for the support guys, I've been a lurker this whole time. Good luck to you all!!

Reactions: 2 users
AAMC Average: 33
Post-test expected score: 27
Actual Score: 30 9PS 11VR 10BS
Comments: Well....it's better than my last score, and I didn't do as badly as I expected.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm going to admit I'm closely following this thread today even though I was a May 31er. It's making me terribly nervous just to see how you guys scored. I can't imagine what it'll be like Jul 1. But to be honest, the week leading up to the test was actually worse than the day of testing. Hopefully everyone does as well as they set out to do!

I'm nervous too! It sounds like their PS section was just as difficult as ours so I'm curious to see how the scores turn out.
Comments:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! That's amazing!

Comments:

Bro hell yeah! Congrats!!!

AAMC Average: 33
Post-test expected score: 30-34
Actual Score: 30 (08 / 11 / 10)
Comments:
Lowest PS score ever by 2 and about 3 below my AAMC PS average. Hello, July 2.

Congrats to you guys who scored well! Think I'm gonna go check out, take a walk or something. This is miserable.

Comments:

Congrats!!!! :D that's incredible!! I can only hope for that to happen to me too... Wow!!!

Post-test expected score: 26-33
Actual Score: 29 (9/9/11)
Comments: I am honestly incredibly surprised that I scored so low on the biology and the physics. The last three AAMC practice exams I took I got 13,12,14 on the physics so this is honestly a shock....unfortunately I am not gonna take the exam again, this was my third time and I was hoping to rock it...lets hope 29 is good enough

AAMC Average: 37.5
Post-test expected score: 29-35
Actual Score: 36 (12, 10, 14)

Wooooo, super happy about this. Never looking back.

Congrats to you guys who scored well! Think I'm gonna go check out, take a walk or something. This is miserable.

Don't stress out man! This test is a beast; So you didn't get the score you wanted this time, but I'm sure you will next time. Just a little bump in the road; you got this!!!

I just wanna say thanks guys. I'm really in a state of shock right now and feel unbelievable lucky right now. To those who scored below what they expected, keep at it. I'm still hoping they don't make a mistake and change my score on me.

Congrats to all of you! Whether you are happy with your score or not, you did your very best and that is commendable.

AAMC Average: 37.5
Post-test expected score: 29-35
Actual Score: 36 (12, 10, 14)
Wooooo, super happy about this. Never looking back.
now, did you expect to score a 12 on physical sciences?

AAMC Average 31
Post test expected score 26-28
Actual 30(10/9/11).. I followed this thread for awhile just never made a name... Appreciate everyone who contributes to these it helped so much with the wait.

AAMC Average: 32.75 (range 28-38 with the last three 34,38,36)
Post-test expected score: 31-34
Actual Score: 33 (9/13/11)
Comments: Sort of disappointed about that PS... was hoping to be above 10 for all three. Definitely pleased with verbal, but it was always my strongest. Have a low gpa (~3.3) that I need to offset so I was aiming for a 36 (12s across). I am taking post-grad courses over the next year to boost my gpa a bit. Not sure whether I should retake or not.... any advice?

And congrats to everyone on at least being done waiting :)

Congrats to everyone who exceeded their expectations! I'm taking June 21 and you guys have really reassured me! Did you guys feel that AAMC average was indicative of your scores? I've averaged about a 36 but I've been very concerned with these super hard PS sections I've been hearing about.

To those that didn't get what they were wanting/needing: Don't let it get you down! Take the day off and buckle down starting tomorrow! You guys can do it!!!

AAMC Average: 31.8
Post-test expected score: 28
Actual Score: 34 (VR 10/ PS 12/ BS 12)
Comments: I guess they do take difficulty into consideration when grading. Holy...I thought I bombed that PS section completely. I'm a bit saddened by verbal, it was always my best section. But I'll take it! Run through the tape guys; whatever you do in life, run through the tape!

Last edited:
AAMC Average: ~37
Post-test expected score: 34 (10 PS, 11 VR, 13 BS)
Actual Score: 36 (12 PS, 10 VR, 14 BS)
Comments: I took the test April 2012 for the first time, and got a 31 (9 PS, 11 VR, 11 BS). Absolutely ecstatic that I improved by this much. The verbal I wanted at least an 11 (to prevent a drop), but whatever I got double digits on VR, I'm happy at the end of the day. VR is seriously a crapshoot. The funny thing is, AMC 11 is like really accurate of how you'll do I think (based on anecdotal evidence). My brother got a 31 on 11, and got a 31 on the real thing. I got a 36 on that one and a 36 on the real thing.

Time to polish up my PS, experiences, pick schools and pull the trigger. Hoping to submit by tonight, thought I might have to submit tomorrow.

Here's the hard copy of my score report. As it turns out, I did both good and bad.
image.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Post test prediction: PS/VR/BS: 8/7/10 (TOTAL:25)

Actual Score: 29 plus minus 1

Not gonna retake

To those of you who are retaking, GOODLUCK :) YOU CAN DO THIS:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
AAMC Average: i'm not sure exactly, since i never took a full length all at once, but i think it would have been between 30-33
Post-test expected score: 25-35, i had NOOOOOO idea, seriously, no f'in idea.
Actual Score: 32 (11/11/10)
Comments: dude.... WHAT?@?@?!!!! i guessed on SO MANY of the PS, how the hell did i get an 11? they must have been experimental or lucky guesses. and that bio, i thought i did amaaazing, and only got a 10, which is below my bio average. i can't emphasize this enough.... HOW YOU FEEL YOU DID, including how much you guessed, has NO BEARING, NONE, WHATSOEVER, on how you actually do

AAMC Average: ~37
Post-test expected score: 34 (10 PS, 11 VR, 13 BS)
Actual Score: 36 (12 PS, 10 VR, 14 BS)
Comments: I took the test April 2012 for the first time, and got a 31 (9 PS, 11 VR, 11 BS). Absolutely ecstatic that I improved by this much. The verbal I wanted at least an 11 (to prevent a drop), but whatever I got double digits on VR, I'm happy at the end of the day. VR is seriously a crapshoot. The funny thing is, AMC 11 is like really accurate of how you'll do I think (based on anecdotal evidence). My brother got a 31 on 11, and got a 31 on the real thing. I got a 36 on that one and a 36 on the real thing.

Time to polish up my PS, experiences, pick schools and pull the trigger. Hoping to submit by tonight, thought I might have to submit tomorrow.

I'm hoping you're right. I got a 33 on AAMC 11, but I feel like on the real deal I was in the 20s :(

AAMC Average: 28
Post-test expected score: 28
Actual Score: 31 (11/8/12)
Comments: I felt really bad after the PS section which hindered my concentration during verbal (my worst section). I guessed, based on how many I marked, on 12 questions in the PS section. I don't know how I got this score. I will say that this is close to my breakdown for AAMC 11. Guys who are planning to take it in the future, ignore the crappy feeling you have after the test. That is not indicative of your score at all. You should really look at you AAMC averages, especially 10 and 11. I have an average GPA, an average MCAT, and average extracurriculars. I think I am going to retake the exam.

Test Date: 5/8/2014
Post-test expected Score: 26
Actual Score: 28 P/V/B - 8/9/11
Comments: I thought I got a 6 on the PS and didn't do that great but still not a 6 (staying positive here). Wish I would have done better on Verbal to bump my score to 30 but oh well.

What does retaking in July do for those of us who have already submitted this cycle? Will schools not extend interviews/secondaries till they come back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was a June 5th test taker and just reading all of this makes me want to vomit everywhere. Happy to hear so many people did better than they expected though! Congrats!

AAMC Average: 32.75 (range 28-38 with the last three 34,38,36)
Post-test expected score: 31-34
Actual Score: 33 (9/13/11)
Comments: Sort of disappointed about that PS... was hoping to be above 10 for all three. Definitely pleased with verbal, but it was always my strongest. Have a low gpa (~3.3) that I need to offset so I was aiming for a 36 (12s across). I am taking post-grad courses over the next year to boost my gpa a bit. Not sure whether I should retake or not.... any advice?

And congrats to everyone on at least being done waiting :)

Bahaha. We have the exact same score. Funny thing is, I thought VR was a little tough. Wish I could have made a 10 on that beastly PS, but OH WELL!!! ON TO DRINKS!

AAMC Average: 31
Post-test expected score: 28-33 (I had no idea...and wasn't willing to analyze and narrow it down)
Actual Score: 32 (11/9/12)
Comments: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSS! I am still at work so I ran to the closest emergency exit, called my family and shed some tears of joy. This is my retake so I am SO SO happy that I can finally get rid of my review books (2 boxes full). I honestly thought I did better in verbal. I remember cruising through that section -- no vague passages, finished with time to spare. Anywho, I prayed hard and I am deeply grateful for all the support everyone has given me in real life and on SDN (that's you guys :) )

For those who are retaking, good luck! I understand the frustration... Make sure you spend time on your weak areas and modify your study techniques. If you put in hard work, you will see an improvement! :luck:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
AAMC Average: 34
Post-test expected score: 32-33
Actual Score: 36 PS/VR/BS: 11/13/12
Comments: This is notable for me because I am 35 years old and graduated college in 2003. I took the MCAT in 2002 and scored a 29. I'm still crying.

Reactions: 22 users
What does retaking in July do for those of us who have already submitted this cycle? Will schools not extend interviews/secondaries till they come back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone told me that you can add a "planned test date" on AMCAS so make sure they don't screen you out based on your current score.

Should I just give up!!!
There is no hope for me!!!!
P/V/B ==> 7/6/6 (19) ... I have no idea why I got a 6 in BS ... I've NEVER scored below an 8 in BS & my average was ~9 .. no clue what happened ... there is no hope for me to be a doctor .. I'm 100% sure I will be a great neurosurgeon that will make a difference in medicine, yet, I will never be given the opportunity because I don't know the relationship between Human retina the diameter of the moon!

Last edited:
AAMC Average: 35
Post-test expected score: 30-34
Actual Score: 38 (14 / 12 / 12)
Comments:
I don't know what to say. I just screamed like a bat**** crazy person for a solid five minutes on campus. I should probably just thank Berkeley Review, as that was all I used for PS and I spent a solid two months on just it.

I honestly wish I could give points to you people, as above a 35 probably makes no difference for me (non-trad, abysmal GPA). You guys have been awesome.

And at long last, I finally learn to NOT TRUST POST-TEST GUT FEELINGS! Honey Boo Boo Manziel I love you!!!

AAMC Average: 35.6
Post-test expected score: 34±2
Actual Score: 34 (9 / 12 / 13)
Comments: Good enough and as expected.