The Official May 8, 2014 MCAT thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southpawcannon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yep, that just happened. And no, I'm not studying tonight. Are you cray cray? Just watching college football and opening my box from Berkeley Review that finally arrived. Prep commences tomorrow!

Members don't see this ad.

Test Date: 5/8/14
AAMC Average: ~32
Post-test expected score: 31-38
Actual Score: 33 (12/9/12)
Comments: I guess I can't feel too sad or happy about the score. I thought I did better though. That verballlllll though. ugh. Honestly thinking of retaking since later AAMCs were higher and wanting to go to a CA school. Thoughts?

Should I just give up!!!
There is no hope for me!!!!
P/V/B ==> 7/6/6 (19) ... I have no idea why I got a 6 in BS ... I've NEVER scored below an 8 in BS & my average was ~9 .. no clue what happened ... there is no hope for me to be a doctor .. I'm 100% sure I will be a great neurosurgeon that will make a difference in medicine, yet, I will never be given the opportunity because ...

I remember that question. This brings back those memories. dang it... By the way, you might want to edit your post because that was too specific of the test material.

Should I just give up!!!
P/V/B ==> 7/6/6 (19) ... I have no idea why I got a 6 in BS ... I've NEVER scored below an 8 in BS & my average was ~9 .. no clue what happened ... there is no hope for me to be a doctor .. I'm 100% sure I will be a great neurosurgeon that will make a difference in medicine, yet, I will never be given the opportunity because I don't know how to measure the Human retina by knowing the diameter of the moon!
Three things mate.
1. Dont give up.. a 19 can be improved more easily than you think
2. The MCAT isnt a trivial test, it tests important thinking skills that med schools want in their students
3. How would you know youd make a good neurosurgeon? your 10+years away from being one..

Just dont give up and keep trying

Members don't see this ad :)
AAMC Average: low 30s
Post-test expected score: 25-30
Actual Score: 37 (12 / 12 / 13)
Comments:
Holy mother of ****!!!!! I'm having heart attack right now. I just gave a homeless man $60 and i'm dying. Idk if they mixed my exam up but OMG OMGOMGGG

Yeah baby

Hey everyone. First time poster. I found this thread after taking my MCAT (googled the test date to see if anyone else had thought the PS was ridiculous) and kept an eye on it to know when scores were out. I figured I would weigh in as well:
AAMC Average: 38 (36-41)
Post-test expected score: 37-39
Actual Score: 38 (14 PS/11 VR/13 BS)
Comments: I'll definitely be canceling my July signup. It's my first and only time taking the MCAT. I'm a little disappointed because I thought I aced the BS and would've liked to have gotten a 40+, but I'm happy with how the PS turned out in the end. Best of luck to everyone retaking! Time to finish up my primary apps.

Last edited:
Good job all of you! Can you post your thoughts in the 30+ study habits when you get the chance it would be super helpful :)

AAMC Average: ~32
Post-test expected score: 31-38
Actual Score: 33 (12/9/12)
Comments: I guess I can't feel too sad or happy about the score. I thought I did better though. That verballlllll though. ugh. Honestly thinking of retaking since later AAMCs were higher and wanting to go to a CA school. Thoughts?
Forget you ever had that thought

Reactions: 2 users
Test date: 5/8/14
AAMC average: 32
Post test expected score: 26-27
Actual score:29 (10PS, 9 VR, 10BS)

Would like some advice about retaking. This is my second time taking the test (my first time was June 2013 and I scored 28: 9PS 9VR 9BS).

I have a 3.7 gpa. I had hoped to apply this cycle, but I think I may hold off. I was thinking of retaking sometime at the end of July or beginning of August while most of the material is still fresh in my mind. I'm starting a master's program this fall. What should I do????

I was aiming for state schools (new york) as well as some private schools (particularly GWU). It seems like these options are out of reach with my borderline score.

I have a great deal of research experience including two posters at international conferences….research is pretty much the strongest thing going for me right now. I have a moderate amount of clinical shadowing/volunteering (~80-100).

Test Date: May 8th, 2014
AAMC Average: 27
Post-test expected score: 26
Actual Score: 8/11/8 - 27
Comments: I am not disappointed just strictly because I didn't bomb the PS section. I thought I got a 6 on PS for sure. At least 8's in both PS and BS is balanced and I can improve them for a late July retake. MD/DO applicant so I should be set for DO, so I am happy about that!

AAMC Average: 37-38
Post-test expected score: 32-35 (I had no idea...and wasn't willing to analyze and narrow it down)
Actual Score: 40 (13/12/15)
Comments: Very shocked. Higher than all my verbal scores and lower than all my PS (expected). I was not expecting anything close to this. Did a modified version of SN2 without the discrete books and a loose adherence to the schedule. Focused on chapters I was less comfortable with towards the end of preparation. Ranged 34-41 on AAMCs

Reactions: 1 users
AAMC Average: 29-31
Post-test expected score: 24-32
Actual Score: 27 (11/6/10)
Comments:
Really disappointed with the 6 in verbal but happy with the PS score. Most definitely retaking since 6 is so low :( Anyone have any tips on how to improve VR? Also would it be too late for this cycle to retake sometime late June/early July?

Thanks.

Should I just give up!!!
P/V/B ==> 7/6/6 (19) ... I have no idea why I got a 6 in BS ... I've NEVER scored below an 8 in BS & my average was ~9 .. no clue what happened ... there is no hope for me to be a doctor .. I'm 100% sure I will be a great neurosurgeon that will make a difference in medicine, yet, I will never be given the opportunity because I don't know the relationship between Human retina the diameter of the moon!
Don't give up! Just sign up for a retake! Take a class if you have the money! Just don't give up! A lot of people have been where you are!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I remember that question. This brings back those memories. dang it... By the way, you might want to edit your post because that was too specific of the test material.

Edited to more vague .. I don't find it specific though but thanks anyways :) ... the PS section made me want to cry & I believe it did had an impact on my performance on the BS ... I wouldn't complain about VR as that was about my average score .. although latest practices were ~8-9 but I started with a 4-5 in VR .. then got 6 in the real one!

Three things mate.
1. Dont give up.. a 19 can be improved more easily than you think
2. The MCAT isnt a trivial test, it tests important thinking skills that med schools want in their students
3. How would you know youd make a good neurosurgeon? your 10+years away from being one..

Just dont give up and keep trying

1) Thanks for the encouragement ... I registered for June 21 ... good there is an available seat in a near testing center in Boston, not the nearest testing center but ~20 min drive .... hope it will be better this time & literarily it will be the last time of my life to go over this s*** .. I can't handle the name MCAT anymore!
2) I honestly disagree with that ... you are not testing knowledge or skills that I would use in medical school ... I've asked physicians & medical students that said you just need it to get into med school, once you are in, its job is over ... I have met some people that pretend to be nerdy who would have a different opinion but to me personally, I could do terrible in a test but still know the material better than someone who got higher score! ... medicine is a practice not a knowledge ... if the MCAT is a practical test, I wouldn't complain about it!
3) I know I'm way away from being a neurosurgeon but I know my real practical skills! I know that I'm passionate about it & will do well on what I like!

AAMC Average: 38 (35-39)
Post-test expected score: 30-33
Actual Score: 39 (14 PS/11 VR/14 BS)
Comments: I've been lurking this thread aggressively since about 5:15 PM on the eighth, you guys all made me feel way less freaked out about how goddamn hard that test was. Congrats to all--the anticipation is over! Have a beer, you deserve it!

Don't give up! Just sign up for a retake! Take a class if you have the money! Just don't give up! A lot of people have been where you are!
Just signed for June 21 ... I'm too old I can't wait for next cycle (just turned 26 last week)! .. If I don't do well ,, Ireland or Poland will be my destination .. I've already applied to Medical University of Warsaw (no MCAT is required) ... waiting if I get into European schools, I will definitely go there & come back to the U.S. for residency ... I know people who got into residency programs coming from Saudi Arabian schools, so coming from European schools is not going to destroy my residency chances ... plus as an international .. chances for residency is HIGHER than medical schools! the only thing that worries me is that transferring my scholarship to Europe instead of the U.S.! if I can't do that, then I'm stuck here :(

AAMC Average: 29-31
Actual Score: 27 (11/6/10)
Comments:
Really disappointed with the 6 in verbal but happy with the PS score. Most definitely retaking since 6 is so low :( Anyone have any tips on how to improve VR? Also would it be too late for this cycle to retake sometime late June/early July?

Thanks.

Verbal sucks! if I could improve my 8 boarderline 9 I would give you better advice but last cycle a friend of mine with MCAT 27 3.8 GPA got verified late Aug due to a late MCAT and is going to be now attending med school. There is hope!!

A big congrats to everyone who got the scores they wanted.

AM Average: took 3...
not much better than my actual score...
Actual Score: ugh....17....
Comments: I hoped I'd be at least high 20's. This is an embarrassment....I made a 3 on Bio!!! Wtf?!? And Bio is my strongest area!!! Two days after the exam, I scheduled a retake for a July 24. I started studying from scratch about two weeks ago. Now, I'm thinking I'd be better off to postpone the retake for August or September, and apply next summer. With work, taking on a research internship August to September and 8 hours grad school this fall, I'm afraid of creating a plan that will once again set me up for failure. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

AAMC Average: 32
Post-test expected score:28-32
Actual Score: 30 (11 / 11 / 08)
Comments:
This was my third time taking the MCAT. I took the test twice two years ago and scored a 27(7 PS/9 V/11 BS) and then a 28(9PS/ 8 V/ 11BS). My application is pretty good other than my MCAT,

This MCAT was extremely frustrating during the test because I thought I had failed the PS and was absolutely lost on so many of the PS questions and passages. I was honestly expecting an 8 in PS and an 11 in BS. I have no idea how I scored an 8 in BS when it was my best section on my previous exams and in practice tests. I worked my tail off for 4 months and I feel like that Physical Science section was part of the reason I did so poorly in BS. By the time I was taking the BS, I was sick to my stomach and my head was pounding from the stress of thinking I had bombed the PS. I hope schools will appreciate my improvements in the first two sections and they will see that I scored 11's in the Bio in both of my first two MCATS. I don't know what an adcom will think of my strange MCAT breakdowns.

Once again, after getting my score, I feel frustrated that I came so close to a great MCAT score, yet relieved that I finally scored a 30.

Last edited:
AAMC Average: 31-37
Post-test expected score: 27-34
Actual Score: 31 (09/11/11)
Comments: I wish that there was some sort of flag for awful MCATs. If the guy who guesses on half the PS does better than those who thought about it, that's kinda sad. That PS was a ridiculous mess though, the "curve" must have been realy dumb.Cheers to you though, man! I just hope this and my 3.8 GPA and app will be enough to get me a TX school. I don't think I'll be retaking.

Just signed for June 21 ... I'm too old I can't wait for next cycle (just turned 26 last week)! .. If I don't do well ,, Ireland or Poland will be my destination .. I've already applied to Medical University of Warsaw (no MCAT is required) ... waiting if I get into European schools, I will definitely go there & come back to the U.S. for residency ... I know people who got into residency programs coming from Saudi Arabian schools, so coming from European schools is not going to destroy my residency chances ... plus as an international .. chances for residency is HIGHER than medical schools! the only thing that worries me is that transferring my scholarship to Europe instead of the U.S.! if I can't do that, then I'm stuck here :(
Do you think you'll be ready by June 21st? The last thing you want to do is waste another $200 ! Please don't get upset by reading this, but I think you're lacking content knowledge and it's wise to study hardcore for at least -1-2 months to improve your score otherwise you'll get a score around what you have now! Princeton review books are awesome for content review!
But do you really want to move to another country for medical school? Have faith in yourself, it's not that hard to improve your 19! It's not the end of the world :)and btw 26 is not that old, people are getting Into med school I their thirties! I suggest you find a well paying job for this coming year so you can support yourself and apply next year!

Comments: I hoped I'd be at least high 20's. This is an embarrassment....I made a 3 on Bio!!! Wtf?!? And Bio is my strongest area!!! Two days after the exam, I scheduled a retake for a July 24. I started studying from scratch about two weeks ago. Now, I'm thinking I'd be better off to postpone the retake for August or September, and apply next summer. With work, taking on a research internship August to September and 8 hours grad school this fall, I'm afraid of creating a plan that will once again set me up for failure. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I got 19 (7/6/6) .. I started with 8 in BS & never scored below that ... my avg. was about 9 but expected to get higher than a 6! I'm so embarrassed to tell my parents & siblings about it ... I'm afraid that people will ask me how I did & I don't know what to say to my friends, professors! I expected at least a score in the low 20's as my AAMC avg. but I got lower than that!
If you can't live a day without thinking of medical school ... European schools may be your second choice ... I've already applied to MUW in Poland & if I get in & everything works fine with my scholarship, I won't waste my time & be a medical student!

Read this my friend.. it will be very helpful

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-i-improved-from-22-to-32-on-retake.967311/

YOU CAN DO IT!!! :)

Do you think you'll be ready by June 21st? The last thing you want to do is waste another $200 ! Please don't get upset by reading this, but I think you're lacking content knowledge and it's wise to study hardcore for at least -1-2 months to improve your score otherwise you'll get a score around what you have now! Princeton review books are awesome for content review!
But do you really want to move to another country for medical school? Have faith in yourself, it's not that hard to improve your 19! It's not the end of the world :)and btw 26 is not that old, people are getting Into med school I their thirties! I suggest you find a well paying job for this coming year so you can support yourself and apply next year!

your comment made me smile :)
I'm already in a different country .. I'm an international student (Saudi Arabia). I got my undergrad here & almost done with my masters from BU .. so, yes no problem with me going to a different country as I'm already not home!
I have a B.S. in biology .. I'm not the only one who thought content review was a complete waste of time! It was more experimental & if you look at the latest AAMC practice, you will notice even if you have the book with you in the test, you will NOT answer the questions ... I'm a re-taker already .. took the test in 2012 & it was mush easier in my opinion .. it's now more of a test taking skill than any knowledge skill! I truly believe that LUCK plays a major role in standardized tests + test taking skills! I don't advise anyone to focus on content, practice your reading & test taking skills!

11/10/9
(P/V/B)
overall: 30
pretty bummed about the Bio...considering i am a bio major? ew. unfortunate how 1 or 2 more points could have made me more competitive. but i hate this test and the wait was agonizing. i am applying from a top 10 university, with an average-ish GPA from my school, and wonderful extracurriculars and letters.
yeah i probably wont get into a top 10 med school and maybe not even top 20. but i am going to for sure get in somewhere and i am going to be a wonderful physician and make my dreams come true, and i hope you all do too.
first and last time i am taking this test. harvard is overrated anyways ;)

For anyone retaking.. Keep your head up! I had to put off my test last year because my first two practice scores were 19/22 on aamc 3/4.. Keep at it!!!! I know coming a dude only getting a 30 compared to the beast-er scores up here is annoying, but i'd be happy to share any knowledge in terms of resources (trust me used every. single. one. ever....ever-ever.) , study plan, and anything else.. Anyways, thank you again everyone! Lastly a special congrats to the 30+ people... Honestly mates that's some elite stuff you should be so proud!

Also for anyone potentially wondering.. posted this previous but... AAMC avg ~29 ( low 26? high 35), Kaplan FL avg 33-- only took 3 due to outrageous curves... PS chads videos GOAT MCAT review resource.

AAMC Average: 35
Post-test expected score: 34
Actual Score: 30 (10 / 8 / 12)
Comments:
confused and disappointed

AAMC Average: ~29
Post-test expected score: 25-31
Actual Score: 30 (8 /11 / 11)
Comments:
holy **** still shaking from the excitement! I'm a retaker from 1/25/14 when i got a 23 (7/10/6) so those of you who need to retake dont feel too discouraged, its definitely possible to improve in a short time. i knew bio and verbal went pretty well and thought id get a 5 or 6 on PS haha. 8 definitely isnt great especially since i was averaging 10-12 on the practice but ill take it and be done with this God-forsaken test. good luck to future test takers!

AAMC Average: 34
Actual Score: 29 (08 / 09 / 12)
Comments:
I'm not really surprised but I am definitely disappointed... I am going to retake it for sure, but I have a 4.0 and I don't know if I should apply to my in-state school anyways just to see if I have a shot. I never got below an 11 on PS, and below a 12 on Verbal so honestly even if I retake I'm not sure what I will have to change to make sure this doesn't happen again.

You guys have honestly been the best :) please don't let this get you down, even though this sucks as much as I thought it would. I am really miserable but we have to get ourselves together and think about this logically instead of emotionally. You have been a great bunch of people and I am proud of you all regardless... 5/8 Never forget: assume g=10 m/s^2

Bahaha. We have the exact same score. Funny thing is, I thought VR was a little tough. Wish I could have made a 10 on that beastly PS, but OH WELL!!! ON TO DRINKS!
Hahaha thats funny! mcat twins lol. I was pretty confident about the verbal actually... the hardest part was ignoring how ****ty i felt about ps. I guess for me how i felt was pretty accurate haha. are you planning on retaking? I'm applying next round so I have time luckily.

AAMC Average: 34
Post-test expected score: 32-33
Actual Score:
36 PS/VR/BS: 11/13/12
Comments: This is notable for me because I am 35 years old and graduated college in 2003. I took the MCAT in 2002 and scored a 29. I'm still crying.

Finally finished crying enough to give my test-day thoughts. I started with a 28 on AAMC 3 and got to 36-37 on the last few after content review. I was feeling pretty confident on test day. Then the PS section slayed me. I seriously repeated WAT THE #*@! through the entire section. I straight up guessed on the long, convoluted, 7-different-topics crazy passage, so it had to be experimental. You know the one. I thought I scored an 8...9 if luck was on my side. At the break I went straight outside, bent over with my hands on my knees repeating WTF in my head for a minute. Then grown-up me kicked in and answered - That was a test to see if you would freak the frack out. There's still 30 points available. Go get them. - I shook it off and buckled down for verbal. Verbal was long, but it was fairly straightforward. I finished just under time when I usually have 3-6 minutes left over. By then I was pretty wiped, so bio just felt rough. I read and write papers all day long, so reading bio research results is pretty standard for me. Very little orgo, thank the jeebus; I haven't seen orgo in 15 years. I know I screwed some of the discrete questions, but I felt ok but not great with bio. I didn't give a thought to voiding after the 6 months I spent studying. I then gave the trial section about 30 seconds of effort and then hit B to the end. Sorry, not sorry. I left thinking I that it didn't kill it and that PS was probably a bomb. After two weeks of PTSD wore off, I gave my self an honest prediction of about a 32 (8/12/12). I'm thrilled with my score. MCAT can suck it.

What also helped me, especially at this stage of my life, was to accept that the MCAT is a test of how hard you are willing to try. No, you don't have to be able to launch a stupid projectile off a stupid cliff or assume that g=10 m/s^2 to get through med school. You just have to sacrifice every bit of your life until you've suceeded.

Reactions: 2 users
AAMC Average: 32?
Post-test expected score: 28-34
Actual Score: 30 (09 / 10 / 11)
Comments:
First and last time taking this bad boy. Was hoping for higher on PS since I'd been scoring 12s but...

DONE

FINITO

HASTA LA VISTA, YOU GOD-FORSAKEN BARRICADE OF DREAMS

Congrats to everyone keeping their scores, and to everyone who is retaking, don't worry--you can do it! I almost had a nervous breakdown during PS (hence the 9), but managed to pull myself together for the rest of it. I also had about 5 nervous breakdowns while studying if that makes you feel any better. Almost all of us have freaked out at some point but we learn to pull it together because we are FUTURE PHYSICIANS/GLADIATORS yeaaaahhh!

AAMC Average: 25
Post-test expected score: 25-28
Actual Score: 24 (08 / 06 / 10)
Comments:
Sigh...back to the books. Gotta work way hard on my verbal now. Genuinely surprised the PS came back that score though. I'm pretty down though...

What also helped me, especially at this stage of my life, was to accept that the MCAT is a test of how hard you are willing to try. No, you don't have to be able to launch a stupid projectile off a stupid cliff or assume that g=10 m/s^2 to get through med school. You just have to sacrifice every bit of your life until you've suceeded.
^Which is really the huge hurdle of getting through med school and residency I assume.

THE CAT IS ALIVE!

AAMC Average: 24
Post-test expected score: 30-33 (Right before the scores were released, I had a nagging feeling I got 27 or 28.)
Actual Score: 31 (11/11/09)
Comments: I had to teach myself the second semesters of Bio and Orgo because I haven't taken them yet. All-in-all, I am relieved that I scored in the 30's.

AAMC Average: 25
Post-test expected score: 25-28
Actual Score: 24 (08 / 06 / 10)
Comments:
Sigh...back to the books. Gotta work way hard on my verbal now. Genuinely surprised the PS came back that score though. I'm pretty down though...
I got that same exact score. =\ When are you planning on re-taking?

I got that same exact score. =\ When are you planning on re-taking?

Looking at the dates now, trying to see when would give adequate time to improve on verbal and go thru all the science again. Probably end of July/beginning of August.

Looking at the dates now, trying to see when would give adequate time to improve on verbal and go thru all the science again. Probably end of July/beginning of August.
Same. Good luck! Is English a second language for you?

You are not the only one ... I feel ******ed as all of them took the same exact test I took!
But whatever ... just made myself a cup of tea & eating chocolate!

Haha yeah. I'm already drunk... So frustrated. I really didn't want to retake.

Congrats to all of those who got the score that they hoped. Can you guys also post what materials and methods you used to study? That would help a lot of us with the test still looming ahead.