The Official May 8, 2014 MCAT thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southpawcannon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yep, that just happened. And no, I'm not studying tonight. Are you cray cray? Just watching college football and opening my box from Berkeley Review that finally arrived. Prep commences tomorrow!

Members don't see this ad.

you probably already know this... but i JUST realized this on the AAMC site they have a list of topics for orgo....
Thats how im organizing my orgo stuff. I just go down the list and if I can know the reaction I'm fine..
Its actually helped organize me mentally for orgo cuz usually it seems like so much random reactions and info!
My orgo score went up alot after i did that (only got one wrong on AAMC FL 7)
I see what ur saying! I think I'll make some flash cards based on that. Thanks!

Finally finished Periodic waves/Motion + Sound waves this morning and I realized that it was the easiest chapter of physics so far. I wanted to go ahead and dive into light optics but I might as well knock off the last 2 chapters I have left in orgo today. Had to abandon nova physics and decided to finish out with kaplan physics because halfway through nova I realized that their book should only be used as a supplement, not a primary source. It was VERY helpful for kinematics, momentum, laws of motion and the likes, but the chapters after those are just too vague for the MCAT. GREAT for question practice though, although their passage based questions are like baby versions of the real thing. Anywho, this is my last few days left in content review!;)

Spot opened in Grand Rapids now I don't have to go all the way to Illinois. Coincidentally the same place I took it last year, REDEMPTION!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well my hopes of finishing content review by Thursday is so far not going well since physics E&M Is stalling me. I can't seem for the life of me to understand Farraday and Lenz's law. And by experience, there is a question on that on the MCAT. Anyone have an easy way to understand this?

I'm having trouble with lenses, converging/diverging, convex/concave and most impotently focal point. Anyone any help?

I'm having trouble with lenses, converging/diverging, convex/concave and most impotently focal point. Anyone any help?

If you're looking to memorize their characteristics, I would just go flash cards, along with drawing pictures of them.

Does anyone know if the sciences in the real MCAT are more passage comprehension or do they try to test on most of the outlined topics in a way that requires in depth recollection of details?

Does anyone know if the sciences in the real MCAT are more passage comprehension or do they try to test on most of the outlined topics in a way that requires in depth recollection of details?
I took it in September and most of the bio passages were passage comprehension but you need to know your stuff to comprehend the passage. They were all experiments with graphs and tables

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. Is it true that they are really different from early AAMCs 3,4,5 & 6?
Also, not that I want to intrude or anything but do you mind sharing your scores?

Thanks for the reply. Is it true that they are really different from early AAMCs 3,4,5 & 6?
Also, not that I want to intrude or anything but do you mind sharing your scores?
It was more along the lines of the later AAMC exams I would say, but they were all helpful in my opinion.

I got a 31 PS=12, VR= 9, BS= 10.

Omfg still got 3 chapters of G chem of content review...

How's everyone else doing

Not bad man. You can wrap that up in a couple days.

I have 2 chapters of Ochem and 2 chapters of bio left and I'll be done with content review. Hoping to finish this weekend but my sisters wedding is Saturday in Georgia and I live in Texas. So I'm just hoping I find some time this weekend to wrap it up.

Almost to the finish line guys. Keep pushing through the grind.

Can't believe we only about about 1 monthish til our exam date! Have you guys done lot of practice passages?

I've taken kaplan 1-5 (started like end of february) and my scores for those were 34, 34, 34, 33, 35. I've also taken AAMC 3 and 4 and got a 30 and 31 (both of which should have EASILY been 34 or 35, had I not changed like 4 answers from right to wrong at the last minute). The AAMC's are just more difficult because you can't get nearly as many wrong as you can for Kaplan. Multiple points can be gained or lost very easily by making simple careless mistakes.

Reactions: 1 user
I've taken kaplan 1-5 (started like end of february) and my scores for those were 34, 34, 34, 33, 35. I've also taken AAMC 3 and 4 and got a 30 and 31 (both of which should have EASILY been 34 or 35, had I not changed like 4 answers from right to wrong at the last minute). The AAMC's are just more difficult because you can't get nearly as many wrong as you can for Kaplan. Multiple points can be gained or lost very easily by making simple careless mistakes.

wow nice job ! well done

I only took kaplan 1 so far

finished with g chem and physics review. using ek bio and still have 5 chapters left.

using tbr ek for physical sciences. using ek for biological.

tprh for verbal

No matter what, I'm finishing content review today. We are 39 days out, it's time to just do practice :(

No matter what, I'm finishing content review today. We are 39 days out, it's time to just do practice :(
You'll be fine man. You got a 31 the first time, which is relatively a decent score. I have a bio thermodynamics test wednesday so little mcat practice for me till then.

You'll be fine man. You got a 31 the first time, which is relatively a decent score. I have a bio thermodynamics test wednesday so little mcat practice for me till then.
Well at least you'll have thermo down for the MCAT

Alright doing first FL on Wednesday. I better get 30+ or I'm postponing to August lol

Quick question regarding purchasing AAMC exams. Did you guys purchase them separately, or purchased all exams at once (they offer any discount by bulk-shopping)? Also, how long do you have access to them?

Thanks guys.

Quick question regarding purchasing AAMC exams. Did you guys purchase them separately, or purchased all exams at once (they offer any discount by bulk-shopping)? Also, how long do you have access to them?

Thanks guys.

I havent purchased them from AAMC but i know that they give you access for one year, in this case until current MCAT is administeted

Thanks guys.
I got them with the prep class I took last summer, they are valid for 1 year from the second u activate them

Organic Chemistry assessment score 91%
General chemistry assessment 85%
Physics assessment 75%. I thought the physics assessment was difficult compared to the others.

I still need 5 chapters of EK bio before I do the bio assessment.
I'm finished with everything else content wise

This May 8th date is slowly creeping up on us

Hey guys! I've been creeping on here since I registered for this date back in February and thought I better reach out for a little encouragement before I decide to give up on studying all together...I finished my content review in March but am now finding it extremely difficult to get in the mood to study any further. I had my study plan all mapped out with the last six weeks reserved for doing practice questions and FL tests, but now we're only 5 weeks from our test date, and I can't force myself to even look at my books! My major problem is not the material, but rather the act of studying--can anyone help me???
I'm a nontrad and took the MCAT in 2011, scored a 31, and never actually applied to med school. Stupid, I know...at that time, my studying simply consisted of reading/taking notes from the EK subject books. I never did a single FL practice test, even the one that was included in my EK package. Since I'm hoping to do better this time, I bought books of practice questions and FL tests from multiple sources, but now I can't seem to focus and my procrastination skills are getting the best of me...It's been a week since I last studied and I NEED to get back on track. So I guess what I'm really wondering is: Beyond the obvious "dream job" notion, what's motivating you to push through these last 5 weeks until test day?

Hey guys! I've been creeping on here since I registered for this date back in February and thought I better reach out for a little encouragement before I decide to give up on studying all together...I finished my content review in March but am now finding it extremely difficult to get in the mood to study any further. I had my study plan all mapped out with the last six weeks reserved for doing practice questions and FL tests, but now we're only 5 weeks from our test date, and I can't force myself to even look at my books! My major problem is not the material, but rather the act of studying--can anyone help me???
I'm a nontrad and took the MCAT in 2011, scored a 31, and never actually applied to med school. Stupid, I know...at that time, my studying simply consisted of reading/taking notes from the EK subject books. I never did a single FL practice test, even the one that was included in my EK package. Since I'm hoping to do better this time, I bought books of practice questions and FL tests from multiple sources, but now I can't seem to focus and my procrastination skills are getting the best of me...It's been a week since I last studied and I NEED to get back on track. So I guess what I'm really wondering is: Beyond the obvious "dream job" notion, what's motivating you to push through these last 5 weeks until test day?

First of all kudos to you for getting a 31 on the MCAT,and just because u wasted a week doesn't mean the end of the world.U still have a month,4 weeks,24hrs a days, u have plenty of time.So,now forget eveything and only focus getting a good grade on the MCAT :D :D :D
Think of the moment when your name will be called during the white coat ceremony, think of all the lives you'll save,and if that's not enough then have faith on yourself. If u have done it once you can do it again!!!
GoOd LuCk :) :) :)

My biothermodynamics comprehensive final is set on May 7. I talked to the class and the prof. today so that may be they could consider moving it a little earlier but the prof said it would be hard cause you need to reserve a room and get approval from the dean. He then said I can give you an oral comprehensive exam and if you fail you fail. I agreed and everyone was just like this is not a good idea. My life is just amazing. It's not like I'm doing well in the MCAT anyways.

Hey guys, can someone explain what I'm doing wrong here. I posted the ques and my working. The answer is D but I get that both cases are the same speed. Someone plz help quick. I think I totally misinterpreted the question.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 55
Hey guys, can someone explain what I'm doing wrong here. I posted the ques and my working. The answer is D but I get that both cases are the same speed. Someone plz help quick. I think I totally misinterpreted the question.View attachment 180190
So the easiest way to find the speed at the end is to use energy Conservation.

The first one has a height of 0.5m by using 1m x sin30, the second one has a height of 1 m.

So if we do Ep=Ek and isolate v, we get v=sqrt(2gh)

So the second one will have a final speed of sqrt(2) greater than the first one, which equals 1.4 times greater.

I think your mistake was that you misinterpreted the length of the plank as being the height.

So the easiest way to find the speed at the end is to use energy Conservation.

The first one has a height of 0.5m by using 1m x sin30, the second one has a height of 1 m.

So if we do Ep=Ek and isolate v, we get v=sqrt(2gh)

So the second one will have a final speed of sqrt(2) greater than the first one, which equals 1.4 times greater.

I think your mistake was that you misinterpreted the length of the plank as being the height.

You are right. Thanks for the quick response. How is your prep going so far?

You are right. Thanks for the quick response. How is your prep going so far?
Umm soso, I'm getting kind of busy with my tutoring I'm doing and the cancer research lab, so I'm thinking of maybe postponing to August and just studying lightly until then. Depends how my next few practice exams go.

Hey man, could you please explain question 53? Sorry for bugging you but you've been helpful.
Anyone any help? I've been talking to myself in this forum. I'm also doing the MCAT on May 8 and it's freaking me out.