The Official MCAT® Self-Assessment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jon stewart

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if the questions in this assessment are all new and NOT in the aaamc practice exams or the official guide to the mcat?

Members don't see this ad.

They've ranged from 33 to my most recent 39 on AAMC 9. PS, BS scores have been right around 13s consistently but I just need to have a good day on verbal on Friday

Wow great job, how have your FL scores been?

Whoops, missed the quote the first time. They've ranged from 33 to my most recent 39 on AAMC 9. PS, BS scores have been right around 13s consistently but I just need to have a good day on verbal on Friday

Members don't see this ad :)
wish I had this back when I was prepping, nothing is as representative as the material released by the AAMC. Though I haven't seen it my initial action would be to purchase this ASAP and use it, remember that perfect practice makes perfect

Is the entire bundle possible to finish within 2 days? My exam is in 10 days, and I don't want to rush through it and not be able to review afterwards. Also, in comparison to actual AAMC Full Length questions, how does the difficulty rank?

Does anyone know if you can start the exam on paper to print our and then later start on the computer? I read somewhere about someone doing the opposite, where he started on computer and the system wouldn'tlet him start on paper.

I wanted to split up the verbal assessment over the course of a few days but this is really annoying that I won't be able to review my answers until after I'm done (which would be.. a day before my MCAT).

anyone figure out a way around this? I had opened up two windows and just submitted random answers on one but then I wasn't able to proceed to later passages, I got locked out. Emailed AAMC and they reset the test for me..

Okay, print it out (take it as a written form) and then do it online (you can) and just guess on everything.

The n do them on paper and for answers go online and review it

Okay, print it out (take it as a written form) and then do it online (you can) and just guess on everything.

The n do them on paper and for answers go online and review it

So it will allow you to print it first and then take it online?

Got an 85% on the bio section. Missed a couple because of the wording, especially on the action potential ones. Definitely need to go over genetics more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, for those who have done the self assessment. does it give you detailed answer explanations like the other AAMCs? does it give you anything extra? like pinpoint your weakness, extra tips?

For those that have done the assessment, can someone post a screenshot of how it breaks up the results after your done, how does it show you the topics you missed (similar to the aamc FLs? screen that shows up after your done taking it?)

Hey, for those who have done the self assessment. does it give you detailed answer explanations like the other AAMCs? does it give you anything extra? like pinpoint your weakness, extra tips?

Yes, it will show solutions like the AAMC exams.

For those that have done the assessment, can someone post a screenshot of how it breaks up the results after your done, how does it show you the topics you missed (similar to the aamc FLs? screen that shows up after your done taking it?)

If you watch the video tutorials on their website, it will show screenshots of the assessment results.

Chem 94%
O Chem 93%
Bio 88%
Physics 88%
Verbal 76%

The scores (especially the Bio, Physics, and Verbal) are skewed a bit low because of fatigue of the 500+ questions taking a pretty serious toll. (I.E. only missed 1 of the first 54 Chem Qs but then missed 5 of the last 50 because it was tough to focus) I used BR/TPRH Bio to prep and take my first FL in a couple days.

For those of you who did the AAMC self-assessment package, how long did it take you to finish each section? I'm trying to decide when I should do it and how long it would take.

Hey everyone I just bought this a couple days ago and I don't like how you cannot see how you did until after your done the entire test..I was wondering if there is a pdf version of the test so I can take that and submit my online test to get the answers and compare??

^ I would not recommend you do all of it in one day. I mean there are 200 BS questions, 200 PS questions, and 120 VR questions to do

So it'd be doable to complete the whole assessment (all three sections) in one day?

Not a good idea. The assessments are arguably more exhausting than the practice FLs because you don't get a nice assortment of all the different subjects. It's just a laser focus on one subject and each assessment has only slightly fewer questions than an entire FL. Each one may only take a few hours, but those are a long 2-3 hours. I would, at most, recommend taking only two per day, and that's assuming you're going to dedicate a whole day to studying.

Dam.. just got a 77% in the bio self assessment package. It seems like the bio section is becoming more verbal like because a lot of those questions I probably could've done without knowing and bio at all. Unfortunately, critical thinking/logic is my weakest area :(

I just got my MCAT score back, and I see I totally bombed verbal. I'm interested in purchasing the entire package but more excited about the verbal.

Are all 120 verbal questions passage-based? How many passages are there? Do they all differ from the ones on the FL's? How hard are they? How closely do they resemble the real Sh_t?

I just got my MCAT score back, and I see I totally bombed verbal. I'm interested in purchasing the entire package but more excited about the verbal.

Are all 120 verbal questions passage-based? How many passages are there? Do they all differ from the ones on the FL's? How hard are they? How closely do they resemble the real Sh_t?

here's what I vaguely remember from sifting through a bunch of posts using the search function a while back:
yes
22 psgs (might be off)
from old fls that aren't 3-5, 7-11. mostly 1, 2, 6, maybe some of the r problems.
people say it's good practice. most posters score around 70-75% and have scored similarly to their official mcat guide scores.

Does anyone else find it curious that this MCAT self-assessment was put out after the announcement of the revised 2015 test? Is this really meant as practice for pre-'15 takers , or is the data just being analyzed to help develop the revamped 2015 test?

Does anyone else find it curious that this MCAT self-assessment was put out after the announcement of the revised 2015 test? Is this really meant as practice for pre-'15 takers , or is the data just being analyzed to help develop the revamped 2015 test?
The majority (if not all) of the assessment questions come from retired practice tests (specifically 1, 2, and 6). So if AAMC wanted to data mine the assessments it would be pretty weird since they should already have a very nice data pool for the years those tests were being used for actual test administrations and then all the years they were used for practice tests. It would be even weirder too considering that the stuff AAMC wants to test are the questions for the new biochem and social science sections.

In other words, no, the AAMC isn't using the assessments to develop the new MCAT. The stuff they'll be using for that will all be in the experimental section on the 2013 and 2014 MCAT.

Not a good idea. The assessments are arguably more exhausting than the practice FLs because you don't get a nice assortment of all the different subjects. It's just a laser focus on one subject and each assessment has only slightly fewer questions than an entire FL. Each one may only take a few hours, but those are a long 2-3 hours. I would, at most, recommend taking only two per day, and that's assuming you're going to dedicate a whole day to studying.

Would you still recommend doing each passage timed? If so, how? I am purchasing the whole bundle and my test is on 9/6. I'm not quite sure how I should split this up within the next couple days. Any suggestions?

Probably a dumb question but about to plop down the $104 for the self-assessment. I see in the website videos that it gives you your score breakdown by content topic, and allows you to rate your confidence as you finish a section.

Does this mean that the biology section, for example, is broken down into individual content areas? Ie all the reproductive system questions are together, and are separate from the cellular respiration one, and so the 200 or so bio questions are broken into 10-12 discrete content units that you can work one at a time? If so, would you folks advise that I complete the self-assessment in chunks, ie completing the cellular respiration unit on the AAMC bio self-assessment immediately after reviewing it in EK bio for example, then completing the unit on microbiology immediately after reviewing bacteria/viruses and feeling good about it? Or would you guys recommend waiting until my content review is finished next week before doing the entire self-assessment over 2-3 days?

Or maybe I totally misinterpreted what you guys were saying, and that while the AAMC bio hits all the biology topics, the passages and free-standing are not neatly organized by topic while completing the self-assessment. If that's the case, I'd better wait till I'm done.

Thanks.

Does anybody have the pdf's of the self assessments? I really want to take them but can't afford them! :(