The official MCAT May 20th 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sofpink

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else will be taking the MCAT on May 20 2016. I would like some support, input, and help on your MCAT strategies I am only studying 2 hours a day for the MCAT, as I am taking a full load semester. Anyone else in this track?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'll be taking this one! I'm doing 20 hours of review a week plus an MCAT course, all starting in mid-December!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm taking May 6th and I already panic when I think about it.

Edit: Also, OP, my studying is similar to yours right now. I plan to increase my study hours with practice questions and full lengths after the holidays.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is what all I get:
upload_2015-11-1_0-7-27.png

weird, I thought everyone could edit titles... :confused:
o wells, maybe the mods will change it/merge other threads
Hopefully they will!

Anyways, what materials are you guys using? I am reviewing biochem with BR, psych/soc with TPR, and CARS with EK/TPRH workbook. I will start the other sciences after Fall semester is over. I am just afraid to run out of practice material and FL.

I found some great tools, here on SDN, that have been proven extremely helpful. Hope these helps all May takers as well.

Written by @mcatjelly MCAT study guide, includes corresponding BR, EK, Kaplan, and Khan academy videos:

Anki deck with about +/- 2000 questions (can't remember who posted this in SDN, if you know, please let me know to give them credit) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vf72d32p7536djp/AABeYbhfKpchNeiPzakZSrtya?dl=0

30 day guide to the CARS section by: @TestingSolutions http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/testing-solution’s-30-day-guide-to-mcat-cars-success.1131850/

MCAT 2015 STUDY PLAN adapted from SN2ed & MCATjelly - EK, TBR, TPRH, Kaplan by @_Nymeria_
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...m-sn2ed-mcatjelly-ek-tbr-tprh-kaplan.1127723/

Reactions: 14 users
Wait that spreadsheet is beautiful.
I currently have the whole Kaplan 2015 set (I'm taking a class with them), so I'm going to use those primarily and then use Khan Academy as a secondary resource for topics I need more help on. I might supplement with other materials if my diagnostic exams are consistently showing low scores is specific areas.
I'm also going to try to read a book every 1-2 weeks in order to just naturally work on my CARS. My University has an awesome medical section so I've already taken out 3 books :)

@sofpink all of those resources are awesome!!!! , thanks for compiling it on the thread!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for posting all of this @sofpink !! I am going to also be using Kaplan2015 whole set, ExamKrackers whole 2015 set, KhanAAMCMcat videos, and I have a few TPR books. I heard so many different things- I went primarily for Kaplan because there was some general consensus they did the most alterations for the new exam and people seem to like them for heavy content review-personal preference. What have you guys heard about which book from which company is great for an of the subjects?

I would appreciate your thoughts especially for Biochem!! Thanks!

Thank you for posting all of this @sofpink !! I am going to also be using Kaplan2015 whole set, ExamKrackers whole 2015 set, KhanAAMCMcat videos, and I have a few TPR books. I heard so many different things- I went primarily for Kaplan because there was some general consensus they did the most alterations for the new exam and people seem to like them for heavy content review-personal preference. What have you guys heard about which book from which company is great for an of the subjects?

I would appreciate your thoughts especially for Biochem!! Thanks!
You welcome!
To answer some of your inquiries:
I have heard that TBR is the most detailed oriented and passage like real MCAT difficult level. Even though Kaplan did the most changes in theirs books, the passages are not the same format and have too many discretes, which can be detrimental when doing FL. A lot of people seem to like PR for psych/soc and a combination of EK-TPRH for CARS. However, there has not been a consensus on biochem, as kaplan and EK seem to be to easy and basic.
To get a deeper understanding, I would recommend reading this tread thoroughly and the various comparisons made among the different prep companies by third parties. https://www.reddit.com/r/Mcat/wiki/mcat2015faq/contentreview

I'm taking the May 20th MCAT and I'm just wondering if I'm studying too much already. I'm using EK (among other things) and I've read the first 3 biology chapter and ALREADY have 250 anki cards created; does anyone think they're studying too hard or too little?

I'm taking the May 20th MCAT and I'm just wondering if I'm studying too much already. I'm using EK (among other things) and I've read the first 3 biology chapter and ALREADY have 250 anki cards created; does anyone think they're studying too hard or too little?
So it really depends on how much time you have for MCAT study plus any other relevant activities such as school, work, volunteering, sports, family, etc... Also how long do you think it will take you to finish content review and when you would be starting full lengths. Remember, there is not a lot of practice on the new Psych/soc section and the AAMC has only launched one official FL, so beware of not running out of passages/FL.

Members don't see this ad :)
So it really depends on how much time you have for MCAT study plus any other relevant activities such as school, work, volunteering, sports, family, etc... Also how long do you think it will take you to finish content review and when you would be starting full lengths. Remember, there is not a lot of practice on the new Psych/soc section and the AAMC has only launched one official FL, so beware of not running out of passages/FL.

I agree with @sofpink . I personally know that I'm going to need to do tons of content review so I'm starting with the subjects I know the least in and then I'm going to end my studying with a re-review. It just depends on your learning style too. If you think you're starting too early then take a break but if you know you have a lot of work ahead of you, maybe starting now is best.
No one else can really tell you whats too much/too little.
Except if you cram the day before... that might be too little.

I agree with @sofpink . I personally know that I'm going to need to do tons of content review so I'm starting with the subjects I know the least in and then I'm going to end my studying with a re-review. It just depends on your learning style too. If you think you're starting too early then take a break but if you know you have a lot of work ahead of you, maybe starting now is best.
No one else can really tell you whats too much/too little.
Except if you cram the day before... that might be too little.

I'm starting content review so I can begin doing practice FLs around February/March. I've been reading half a chapter of an EK book daily and making Anki cards. After I finish 3 chapters, I answer all the lecture questions and then do the 30 minute exam (so there is some time for me to possible develop lapses in what I need to know). I think its been working so far but time will tell.

Happy studying everybody! :=|:-):

What are you guys using for psych/soc content review and passages? I'm trying TPR and Khan Academy, but TPR seems to detailed.

Is anyone else using EK? I've finished 3 chapters of EK Biology book 1 and I've taken 3 30 minutes exams but I literally got a 127 on each one; is is true that once you finish content review and start purely doing practice FLs you see a baseline increase?

Happy studying!

I don't think you're starting too early by any means, especially if you recognize that you have a lot to review content wise. However, remember that CONTENT is in reality a minor contributor to your final score. You need the baseline, the foundation if you will, but you get points and perform well based almost exclusively on your ability to: `

1. Read and understand challenging experimental passages taken from actual journal articles and,

2. Answer CONCEPTUAL questions relevant to that passage and/or the topics it touches upon.

As you seek out Full-Lengths and practice materials, make sure you compare them to the AAMC standard (there are two FL exams to compare to now). There is still a major problem right now with the prep material not matching the actual exam. For example, many, many passages aren't experimental at all, aren't based on actual research or cited journal articles, don't contain appropriately difficult graphs and figures, use language that is far too simplistic, use questions that are not AAMC question types, etc. There are various resources available and some are definitely better than others. I think every student needs to become educated and decide for themselves what constitutes accurate practice via comparison to the AAMC standard. Best of luck!

Reactions: 4 users
Hopefully they will!

Anyways, what materials are you guys using? I am reviewing biochem with BR, psych/soc with TPR, and CARS with EK/TPRH workbook. I will start the other sciences after Fall semester is over. I am just afraid to run out of practice material and FL.

I found some great tools, here on SDN, that have been proven extremely helpful. Hope these helps all May takers as well.

Written by @mcatjelly MCAT study guide, includes corresponding BR, EK, Kaplan, and Khan academy videos:

Anki deck with about +/- 2000 questions (can't remember who posted this in SDN, if you know, please let me know to give them credit) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vf72d32p7536djp/AABeYbhfKpchNeiPzakZSrtya?dl=0

30 day guide to the CARS section by: @TestingSolutions http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/testing-solution’s-30-day-guide-to-mcat-cars-success.1131850/

MCAT 2015 STUDY PLAN adapted from SN2ed & MCATjelly - EK, TBR, TPRH, Kaplan by @_Nymeria_
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...m-sn2ed-mcatjelly-ek-tbr-tprh-kaplan.1127723/

The schedule looks amazing and thank you for the resources! Do you happen to have the schedule in an excel spreadsheet by any chance?

Has anyone used the newly released AAMC MCAT section banks?
I have not done so, Yet, but I have heard the Biological section is convoluted and biochem heavy! Its a good thing though since it will have more resemblance to the real deal!

Hopefully studying is going great for all of you, I was wondering if anyone could shed light on the quality or what they believe in regarding the full tests by NS, Kaplan or gold standard! I also have read many reddit comments by those who did their exams in Summer 2015 !

Is the top of the bell curve a good position from which to improve? I looked at the official AAMC MCAT guide and my averages for many chemistry and biology EK exams is at the top of the bell curve. I'm not completely done with content review so I know my scores should increase.

Is the top of the bell curve a good position from which to improve? I looked at the official AAMC MCAT guide and my averages for many chemistry and biology EK exams is at the top of the bell curve. I'm not completely done with content review so I know my scores should increase.

I mean, no matter where you start, a good place to go is up.

In!

I am taking the MCAT on 5/20/16 as well. I will not have a full time schedule though so I will have time to study and volunteer 11 hours a week. The drawback for me is that I have not finished the second part of Orgo, and haven't taken the first part of bio, I took only cell bio and physio, no evolution and types of life, etc. Hopefully these review books can fill in the blanks. Its not like I would have remembered everything anyhow.

Just dropping in to say I'll most likely be taking this day as well. Haven't started much hardcore studying yet, will probably wait till after the Holidays. Good luck everyone.

Has anyone heard anything about the princeton review's science workbook? I know it was designed for the old MCAT, but it has thousands of practice questions for the old sections. I'm wondering if this would be worth purchasing.

Finally joining this thread! I will be self studying for a few hours a week in January and will be starting a Kaplan course in Febuary on top of classes.

Is anyone using EK? I've finished Biology book 1 and most the the chemistry book but I'm wondering how I should review weak spots. I'm thinking I should go back and look at all questions I missed, discovered why I missed them and then make ANKI cards to hammer out any misunderstandings.

But the question remains: How do I know if my ANKI cards are made well enough? :bigtears:

Anyone else taking this test date while taking classes spring semester?

Is anyone using EK? I've finished Biology book 1 and most the the chemistry book but I'm wondering how I should review weak spots. I'm thinking I should go back and look at all questions I missed, discovered why I missed them and then make ANKI cards to hammer out any misunderstandings.

But the question remains: How do I know if my ANKI cards are made well enough? :bigtears:

Why dont you take a look at the Ankis made by other SDNers ?

@sofpink has referred to this:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vf72d32p7536djp/AABeYbhfKpchNeiPzakZSrtya?dl=0

Oh boy, I just bombed the psych/soc portion of my diagnostic. Anybody have recommendations for books on this section other than whats in the spreadsheet? It seemed like there were a lot of topics to know.

Other than that I did okay on Chem/Phys, and CARS.

I rescheduled from Jan 23rd to 5/6/16. august 22nd - 503 (127/123/126/127). I will be purchasing the nextstep CARS book for more practice as that is where I faltered.

I will be taking the MCAT on May 20th if I don't get pulled off the waitlist by then. The timing really sucks since I'll probably have to do all the studying before the major waitlist movement days in May/June.

I am, I'm taking biochem and physics 2.

I've started some preliminary studying, really going to kick things into gear after my finals are done this week. I'm using EK and Khan, might supplement with some other materials. Planning on using Anki heavily, and some old test materials for extra practice (EK1001 and PR science workbook). I'll be taking the test without having taken Bio 2, so I hope I am able to cover those topics sufficiently.

Possible reapplicant and scheduled for this mcat date :) hope 5 months is enough for covering all the material... again...

My last attempt (2nd attempt) was 5/22/15 and I see the thread is still alive in mcat discussions

Reactions: 1 users
I am in the same boat. I will be taking orgo and genetics and some other fun stuff. I will also continue volunteering as a medical interpreter. Really need to ace this in the first attempt. I am using Berkeley review for studying and specifically KHAN Academy for psycholog /sociology section.