The official MCAT May 20th 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sofpink

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else will be taking the MCAT on May 20 2016. I would like some support, input, and help on your MCAT strategies I am only studying 2 hours a day for the MCAT, as I am taking a full load semester. Anyone else in this track?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
If only it was constant haha. How was your breakdown? Did your c/p score come out higher than expected?
I don't know how it happened but I ended up getting a 128 on C/P. Ended up with a a 510 (128/127/128/127). Feeling pretty good since its way more balanced than my scores on NS 1 haha

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know how it happened but I ended up getting a 128 on C/P. Ended up with a a 510 (128/127/128/127). Feeling pretty good since its way more balanced than my scores on NS 1 haha
Awesome score! especially bio haha. Did you feel that B/B was very heavy in genetics/mitosis/meiosis? Not my best topics haha

Reactions: 1 user
Awesome score! especially bio haha. Did you feel that B/B was very heavy in genetics/mitosis/meiosis? Not my best topics haha

Thank you! Yeah I did, fortunately that kinda played to my strengths. I was a discussion group leader for Genetics at my university for like two years so that definitely helped. That one passage on dorsal/ventral embryogenesis was pretty insane though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! Yeah I did, fortunately that kinda played to my strengths. I was a discussion group leader for Genetics at my university for like two years so that definitely helped. That one passage on dorsal/ventral embryogenesis was pretty insane though.
I think I only got one question right in that embryogensis passage :D but I also ended up with a 127. I felt like I had to understand the passage completely before moving to the questions. Some people like to skim around.

I feel so behind everyone else, but I just finished my first full length. I took Kaplan 1 and got a 500 (123/126/126/125). I think I feel pretty good about that because I am in no way done with content review and I got hit on a few things that I completely haven't covered. Will obviously have to try some other companies tests, but it is a relief to know that I'm not completely on the wrong track.

I feel so behind everyone else, but I just finished my first full length. I took Kaplan 1 and got a 500 (123/126/126/125). I think I feel pretty good about that because I am in no way done with content review and I got hit on a few things that I completely haven't covered. Will obviously have to try some other companies tests, but it is a relief to know that I'm not completely on the wrong track.
If it makes you feel any better, I got a 503 on Kaplan 1 and that's been my lowest practice test so far. And that was when I was done with content so I'm sure you'll do better on the rest. Their first FL seemed a bit ridiculous to me haha

I think I only got one question right in that embryogensis passage :D but I also ended up with a 127. I felt like I had to understand the passage completely before moving to the questions. Some people like to skim around.

I haven't reviewed yet but I'm sure I didn't do much better. I remember looking over one question for about 3 minutes before giving up and just picking an answer at random

I feel like it was worth it. They're really well done and I like that they show you the percentage of people who chose a certain answer.
just started reviewing my NS full length.. i love how they do that with the percentage of people who picked the answer, that's a nice feature

Can anyone help explain Kaplan FL 3 C/P #7? Was this question specifically referring to the dipeptide formation in the passage? It did not seem like it, but the explanation suggests otherwise.

Can anyone help explain Kaplan FL 3 C/P #7? Was this question specifically referring to the dipeptide formation in the passage? It did not seem like it, but the explanation suggests otherwise.

This question is basically asking about which one of those reagents would make the best leaving group. So essentially you're looking for which reaction would add the best leaving group to your carboxylic acid.

My house is extra loud today so I decided to do the OG aamc questions instead of a FL lol.
OG
BB: 73%
C/P: 67%
P/S: 77%
CARS: 73%

hopefully I can bring these up in the month I have left, especially C/P.

Took the AAMC sample test yesterday and did pretty well. Not very balanced percentage-wise, but no way to know if scores would be. Anybody know what's decent on the chem/phys section? If not, I'll look it up in that table from a few pages ago...

C/P: 64%
CARS: 91%
BB: 75%
P/S: 81%

do you guys think it'd be a good idea to memorize minute details? here's an example of what i mean

QUESTION: Which of these changes would be most likely to stimulate hormone-sensitive triacylglycerol lipase?
A. increase in aldosterone
B. decrease in insulin
C. decrease in cortisol
D. decrease in epinephrine

Answer is B. The explanation says that INCREASES in cortisol or epinephrine stimulate the lipase, but are we expected to know this information? Luckily I made a random correct guess but I would not have known to definitely rule out C and D. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
On NS 2 there was a question on centripetal force as well as a question on phylogenic trees. I thought the MCAT didn't cover these two topics anymore?

@NextStepTutor_3 ?

Last edited:
Man in my attempts to procrastinate I was just reading some of the high school SDN posts. These kids are going crazy trying to decide between which Ivy they want to go to for undergrad haha. Must be such a hard life

do you guys think it'd be a good idea to memorize minute details? here's an example of what i mean

QUESTION: Which of these changes would be most likely to stimulate hormone-sensitive triacylglycerol lipase?
A. increase in aldosterone
B. decrease in insulin
C. decrease in cortisol
D. decrease in epinephrine

Answer is B. The explanation says that INCREASES in cortisol or epinephrine stimulate the lipase, but are we expected to know this information? Luckily I made a random correct guess but I would not have known to definitely rule out C and D. Thanks in advance.
Think about what triacylglycerol lipase does. What do you get out of breaking down triacylglycerols? At what physical condition do you need to break down triacylglycerols?

Then think about what function aldosterone, insulin, cortisol, and epinephrine have with respect to that "physical condition".

Being vague on purpose here. : P

Think about what triacylglycerol lipase does. What do you get out of breaking down triacylglycerols? At what physical condition do you need to break down triacylglycerols?

Then think about what function aldosterone, insulin, cortisol, and epinephrine have with respect to that "physical condition".

Being vague on purpose here. : P
thank you! this helps a lot.

Alright guys, just took NS FL1 and scored a 507. My test date is the 14th and my score goal is a 510+. How am I lookin'?

Edit: the score breakdown was 126/126/128/127 I believe. This is the worst I've done on CARS :/

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Alright guys, just took NS FL1 and scored a 507. My test date is the 14th and my score goal is a 510+. How am I lookin'?

Edit: the score breakdown was 126/126/128/127 I believe. This is the worst I've done on CARS :/

from what i've seen on here peoples NS scores are usually 1-4 pts below their MCAT scores, that being said the best indicator is AAMC FL material...

Started AAMC material. Couldn't wait any longer... Any of you all have well formulated strategies on how you're going to budget it out? I took the OG questions and 1 qpack so far (started 3 days ago)... feel like I could easily finish all the material before we even hit May now

I think im going to start them Monday. I want to spend a good amount of time reviewing them haha
Yeah I was thinking about starting them soon too. Maybe this weekend, I'm just not sure how to do them. I'll probably try to do 1/2 of each section one day and then the other 1/2 the next.

Hey all,
Scheduled for May 20th; almost done with my content review. I have being doing some practice questions on EK too but not complete sections.
I just took my Kaplan FL1 and scored 122/121/122/122. Oh gosh I am freaking out :nailbiting:

Just did the first 50 questions of the P/C section bank... That was insanely difficult. If people are right that the MCAT is more like the section banks I'm pretty terrified because I was basically guessing on the majority of those questions. Make sure you know everything there is to know about enzyme kinetics.

Just did the first 50 questions of the P/C section bank... That was insanely difficult. If people are right that the MCAT is more like the section banks I'm pretty terrified because I was basically guessing on the majority of those questions. Make sure you know everything there is to know about enzyme kinetics.

Kaplan section bank?

Oh boy :| time for enzyme kinetics review!

If you're using Kaplan, I didn't feel as if their enzyme kinetics chapter covered enough of the info needed for what the section banks asked. For example, Kaplan never talked about Kcat and there were multiple passages that needed you to understand this. I would recommend some other source maybe from the internet to better explain enzyme kinetics.

If you're using Kaplan, I didn't feel as if their enzyme kinetics chapter covered enough of the info needed for what the section banks asked. For example, Kaplan never talked about Kcat and there were multiple passages that needed you to understand this. I would recommend some other source maybe from the internet to better explain enzyme kinetics.

Thank you. I am gonna look into Khan Academy.

Bio section bank seemed much better than P/C though this tends to be my best subject. Again there was huge focus on enzymes, and a lot of data focused experiments. But overall seemed much more doable than P/C.

Bio section bank seemed much better than P/C though this tends to be my best subject. Again there was huge focus on enzymes, and a lot of data focused experiments. But overall seemed much more doable than P/C.
Did you do P/S yet?

Anyone having trouble with Kaplan's tests? I've taken two and got just below 500 on both, but then took a few individual sections from later and have been doing way better (went from 123 to 126 on P/S) without much studying. What gives? Getting worried though, I'm done with content review and shooting for a 507+

Anybody take the unscored aamc practice test yet? I just took it today and am a little freaked out by my percentage correct on c/p and b/b. Any suggestions for studying for c/p in particular? I'm pretty much relearning most concepts considering it's been years since I've taken relevant classes.

Anybody take the unscored aamc practice test yet? I just took it today and am a little freaked out by my percentage correct on c/p and b/b. Any suggestions for studying for c/p in particular? I'm pretty much relearning most concepts considering it's been years since I've taken relevant classes.

I just took it today. How'd you do?

My scores were 71%/91%/81%/81%

I'm the worst at chemistry and physics too :/. I've never taken physics or Ochem so I struggle a bit with that stuff. I've mainly taught myself what I feel I need to know. Anyone know if I'm on the right track here?? Are my scores looking good!? I want above a 510+.

Last edited:
Man P/S killed me on the section banks. For anyone who's doing well on this section, what have you been using? I feel like I have the majority of the terms memorized, I'm just terrible at applying them.

I'm the worst at chemistry and physics too :/. I've never taken physics or Ochem so I struggle a bit with that stuff. I've mainly taught myself what I feel I need to know. Anyone know if I'm on the right track here?? Are my scores looking good!? I want above a 510+.

I think you are doing great! I just took mine and averaged at around a total of 50%. I think I am really getting burned out and freaking out simultaneously! arhhh fml!

Last edited:

I would be thrilled with those scores at this point! I got 47%/89%/58%/78%. P/C and B/B are just sad. I knew P/C didn't go well, but I honestly thought B/B was better. I haven't seen so much of the material in such a long time that I'm struggling with where to even start for content review. I feel like the content I've been reviewing hasn't even been touched on on any of the FL's I've taken. If anyone has suggestions, I'm completely open.

Just started doing the C/P section bank. I only did the first 2 passages but it seems much easier than NS. I'm sure that will change once I get further in. I intended to break them up into FL style but I decided im going to go through them, write down why I think the answer I chose is right, then review once I finished.

I would be thrilled with those scores at this point! I got 47%/89%/58%/78%. P/C and B/B are just sad. I knew P/C didn't go well, but I honestly thought B/B was better. I haven't seen so much of the material in such a long time that I'm struggling with where to even start for content review. I feel like the content I've been reviewing hasn't even been touched on on any of the FL's I've taken. If anyone has suggestions, I'm completely open.

Man, I would be thrilled to just get the scores that you received.

C/P I knew it was gonna be bad I was prepared of it; but B/B was a bummer. I was expecting to do a lot better in B/B. Most of the questions that I have encountered in FLs and question banks haven't been pertaining to the content review too like you've said. I am very concerned because I will be done with my content review soon too. Suggestion would be greatly appreciated guys.