The official MCAT May 20th 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sofpink

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else will be taking the MCAT on May 20 2016. I would like some support, input, and help on your MCAT strategies I am only studying 2 hours a day for the MCAT, as I am taking a full load semester. Anyone else in this track?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone find the France passage on the scored to be the hardest or is it just me I got only one question right on the passage

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
That passage was actually mainly about Portugal. France was just a side note.
As for that passage, try to put what the author as said into context. So for example, when the question asks about why liberals are in the minority. The author had said that commoners were guardians of the past. Commoners are also the main population as they consist of peasants, tradespeople, and soldiers. So they are conservative because they guard the past, and the they are the main population. So that would mean that the liberals were the minority.

Reactions: 1 user
Tomorrow we attempt to slay a beast.
When attempting to slay a beast, what do you do?
You bring your sharpest weapon.
What is our sharpest weapon you ask?
A well fed, well rested mind.
Eat healthy and go to bed early tonight guys. An all nighter will only hurt you due to mental exhaustion.

Reactions: 4 users
The France passage was pretty hard lol, I think I missed two questions on it. I've always been really good at CARS but lately my scores have been lower for some reason. At least my science scores have been improving a lot. I'm so nervous I'm honestly not sure if I'd prefer to take the test tomorrow or be forced to sign up for a new test day in June. I literally only just finished my content review yesterday (mixed with practice tests every week) so at least now everything is fresh in my memory...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
holy hell, I'm not taking the MCAT on the 20th, but already nervous for you guys. GOOD LUCK!

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck all of y'all. Taking it tomorrow as well. I didn't think the AAMC practice test was too bad, but I'm glad I went over all those different study types for psych.

So what is everyone doing today? I really want to look over a few more things but my motivation to study has reached zero

Sent from my LGLS990 using SDN mobile
Ive been very casually reviewing stuff. I thought I was going to be extremely nervous and looking through everything. It's weird I have a strange feeling of peace and calmness at the moment.

Ive been very casually reviewing stuff. I thought I was going to be extremely nervous and looking through everything. It's weird I have a strange feeling of peace and calmness at the moment.
Same here. I'm praying the anxiety doesn't kick in tonight when I try to fall aslee haha

Same here. I'm praying the anxiety doesn't kick in tonight when I try to fall aslee haha
Yeh, I dont care if it comes after the test but it better let us sleep! Tonight I'm going to just try and distract myself until I fall asleep. Past like 6pm I'm going to try and not even think about MCAT.

Basically going to review all my Anki flashcards and then finish up the last few questions on the CARS question pack 2. After that it's food, tv then bed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm doing absolutely nothing. Going golfing with friends, having a few brews, relaxing. We've been preparing for months at this point, all that's left to do is go in there and kill it. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, in terms of earplugs I know if you bring your own they have to be unopened. But at CVS they come in packs of like ten pairs, not just one pair. Should I buy them? Thoughts?

I'm doing absolutely nothing. Going golfing with friends, having a few brews, relaxing. We've been preparing for months at this point, all that's left to do is go in there and kill it. Good luck everyone!
Props to you. Just don't stay out late. Made that mistake yesterday. Friend didn't understand that I literally could NOT be out late. He won in the end, oh well. Going to have to go to sleep extra early to catch up on sleep lol.

i just retook the CARS section of aamc scored (haven't reviewed the answers) and got a 125 (after scoring a 123 on Monday-total score was 501: 126/123/127/125)

I was really set on voiding because of CARS but i now i feel like I should go and score it, what do you guys think? i'll be happy with a 507-508

another option is to practice cars more next week and take the june 2nd!

i just retook the CARS section of aamc scored (haven't reviewed the answers) and got a 125 (after scoring a 123 on Monday-total score was 501: 126/123/127/125)

I was really set on voiding because of CARS but i now i feel like I should go and score it, what do you guys think? i'll be happy with a 507-508

another option is to practice cars more next week and take the june 2nd!
I don't know if youre going to jump from a 501 Monday to a 508 on the actual. Most people are scoring around their scored full length practice. Have you taken any other full lengths? Are they higher scores?
You should take it regardless, but if you dont feel confident I dont think you should score it.

Last edited:
I don't know if youre going to jump from a 501 Monday to a 508 on the actual. Most people are scoring around their scored full length practice. Have you taken any other full lengths? Are they higher scores?
You should take it regardless, but if you dont feel confident I dont think you should score it.

My next step scores ranged from 501-505

Took it on 4/20 and got 63% CP, 57% CARS, 66% Bio and 80% psych/soc
I don't know what the right answer is here. You should definitely go take the test. If you feel like it was pretty good overall and you understand most of the CARS passages then you could score it. It's hard to say though... In mu opinion if you're not 100% confident that you did well, then you should probably void and take it June 2nd. It's better to have one solid score than have to retake it. I took it last year and looking back on it, I truly regret not preparing more and studying enough.
Whatever you decide to do, make sure you're well rested and in the right mental state. That will help a lot. Best of Luck!

Just finished the scored. 131/126/132/131 for a 520 total. I swear I am not bad at verbal - I straight up messed up my timing today for some reason. Guess I'll do a couple more verbal sections the next couple of days to make sure my timing doesn't get screwed on the real thing...

Any other advice to get that verbal to a 130ish? Really going for a 524+ on Friday.

just finished the scored

129/130/131/130 for 520 overall

feels amazing but I still feel like there is so much to know

plans for final week:
- finish the approx. 100 qs I have left on SB
- review scored FL
- finish cars qpack (1/2 of 2 left), finish chem and phys qpacks (1/2 of both left)
- review personal weaknesses/high yield content (mainly psych stuff, AAs, biochem, cell cycle, biomolecule stuff)
finish up memorization/kaplan quicksheets/equation minutiae (probably will do this wed eve, some early on thursday)
- start waking up at 6
- get my mind right for the battle with the beast on friday

72% P/C 82% B/B 70% P/S and got 130/128/128/128 (514) on the scored. Took the section banks about a month ago and did them timed.

Hi guys! would you mind sharing your scores on the Q-packs, section banks and unscored sample exam? I would really appreciate it and it might help me gauge where I stand lol

Also, if anyone else got 510+ on the scored AAMC exam and would be willing to share, that would be great! I wasn't able to find everyone to quote :/

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys, in terms of earplugs I know if you bring your own they have to be unopened. But at CVS they come in packs of like ten pairs, not just one pair. Should I buy them? Thoughts?

I haven't used earplugs but I've heard they have to be unopened. I've also heard it depends on the testing center... Could you ask the center before tomorrow?

I would play it safe and bring unopened ear plugs

Hi guys! would you mind sharing your scores on the Q-packs, section banks and unscored sample exam? I would really appreciate it and it might help me gauge where I stand lol

Also, if anyone else got 510+ on the scored AAMC exam and would be willing to share, that would be great! I wasn't able to find everyone to quote :/

Thanks in advance!

Sure these are rough estimates because I don't remember exact scores but should be close.

Physics Q pack: 90% Chem Q pack 94% Verbal Q pack 1 77% 2 80% and I didn't take the bio
Unscored FL: 86, 83, 85, 92
Section banks are in my previous post.
Also took 4 NS exams ranging from 508-510.

Thanks in advance!
Scored Full length: 511 127,130,128,126
Unscored full length: 80%,87%,86%,83%
Took kaplan full lengths 1 and 2 awhile ago, scored 499 and a 505.
I dont remember other scores.

Honestly like I've taken 8 practice FLs, all in testing conditions, throughout this course of studying, so at least right now, it feels like I'm just taking another one.

I'll probably start stressing before I go to bed or in the morning though.

I'm just thankful to be done! And then it's off to doing the application. Yikes.

Thanks in advance!

Arranged in the order I took them:
AAMC FL #2 (scored): 507 (76%)
Chem/Phys: 36/59 (61%) -> 125 (57 percentile)
CARS: 46/53 (87%) -> 129 (95 percentile)
Bio/Biochem: 47/59 (80%) -> 128 (87 percentile)
Psych/Soc: 41/59 (69%) -> 125 (55 percentile)

AAMC FL #1 (unscored)
Chem/Phys: 45/59 (76%)
CARS: 46/53 (87%)
Bio/Biochem: 39/59 (66%)
Psych/Soc: 50/59 (85%)

Section Banks (took untimed... bio/biochem+reviewed every question in one day and then chem/phys+review & psych/soc+review in one day so I may have exhausted my brain at the time):
Bio/Biochem: 65%, Chem/Phys: 65%, Psych/Soc: 63%

Official Guide Questions (taken the day after section bank... would like to blame percentages on exhaustion ;)):
Bio/Biochem: 73%
Chem/Phys: 57%
Psych/Soc: 70%
CARS: 63%

Thanks in advance!

I'm not taking it until June 2nd but I am procrastinating studying.

Official Guide: 90%/90%/70%/87%
Unscored: 81%/91%/73%/88% (clearly bio/biochem is my weak section)
Chem Section Bank: 73%
Psych Section Bank: 78%
Kaplan 1&2: 506 and 510
I haven't taken the Scored FL or the Bio SB yet.

Did anyone else get a call from their testing center to be there at 7:15 tomorrow? That seems a bit extreme haha

Does anyone know how they came up with the scaled scores for the scored? Should I aim for the same amount of correct answers on the real exam?

Hmm, I didn't/haven't gotten that call.

They did call me early this morning just to remind me it's tomorrow (lol). Maybe I'll go earlier than planned too.

I think I'm calling it quits. Good luck to everyone you've all helped me out a ton and I know you're all gonna kill it. By this time tomorrow we will officially be done with this horrible test!

Good luck everyone! I got myself a bottle of wine for tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Haha I was planning on getting there at like 7:45. Wonder why we have to be there so early
From previous exam experience, it's likely due to a packed center with multiple test takers who are supposed to start at 8am. I arrived at 8am and started my exam at 8:30 due to the check in process.. I'll be there around 7:30am tomorrow as well!

Good luck everyone! We should all be sleeping soon :) see you at the other side!

Just got out. I voided because of chem it's my best subject and it was unrealistically hard for me. Not sure if it was just me or it was actually hard. I breezed through the cars bio and psych didn't feel too bad. It was a really tough decision but I think I made the right choice.

C/P was by far the hardest section. Definitely struggled after that one.
CARS was a breeze. Passages were easy to understand, questions were fairly straightforward.
B/B wasn't bad. Lot of straight forward questions and passages. Definitely think I did pretty well there.
Psych was iffy. Not terrible not great. Definitely a fair amount of info I didn't recognize/wasn't sure about.

OVERALL NOT BAD

In the end I decided to score it. Come to far to void, might was well see. On the bright side we're done, and I'm heading to the bar!

Reactions: 4 users
Got done hour and half ago.
C/P was really hard
Section bank difficulty x3
So many calculations
CARS were ok but questions kinda more confusing
b/b was the easiest with few hard questions
P/S is terrible the questions are so confusing
The answers are so close to each other
I was done really fast
I reviewed each section twice and still had time left except C/P

Last edited:
Got done hours and half ago.
C/P was really hard
Section bank difficulty x3
So many calculations
CARS were ok but questions kinda more confusing
b/b was the easiest with few hard questions
P/S is terrible the questions are so confusing
The answers are so close to each other
I was done really fast
I reviewed each section twice and still had time left except C/P

I swear we got the reverse of C/P and bio, b/c c/p was pretty okay, cars was whatever, then i got to the b/b first half was great...then my brain just failed. I never run out of time and did. Finished the last question with 30 seconds to spare and I now am questioning if I left anything blank. OH GOD PLEASE

B/B was average, CARS better and Psych wording was different than what I was used to, but not too bad. That C/P though....

Last edited:
C/P, like everyone else is saying, was pretty nuts. I thought P/S was weirdly hard too, a lot of things that were extremely similar or didn't really seem to fit.