The official MCAT May 20th 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sofpink

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else will be taking the MCAT on May 20 2016. I would like some support, input, and help on your MCAT strategies I am only studying 2 hours a day for the MCAT, as I am taking a full load semester. Anyone else in this track?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
A shout out to the people writing their study methods. And congrats to everyone. Whatever happened, we made it through 8 hours of h*ll on earth.

I had the brutal C/P where I thought I absolutely bombed it. Guessed at least 20 choices and ended up w a 128

On the other hand I thought B/B was the easiest thing ever and ended up with 126.

I don't understand this test

Total was 508
128/126/126/128

Aamc scored was 506.

Anyone know if 126 screens you out of MD?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
508 (CP: 127/CARS: 128/BB: 126/PS: 127)
not happy with these numbers at all.
Should I even bother applying at this point?

508 (CP: 127/CARS: 128/BB: 126/PS: 127)
not happy with these numbers at all.
Should I even bother applying at this point?
508 is about the mean for matriculated applicants, based on what I looked up for last year and then converting it. As long as the rest of your app checks out, you're totally fine!

I just got a 524, better than I ever thought I'd get... Omg so happy, still in shock right now :D

Cant believe it's over. Regardless of how you feel you should be celebrating right now. You've done what many others haven't and taken one of (if not the) most difficult graduate school tests there are. Don't forgot what we've all accomplished. Congrats everyone, couldn't have gotten through this without your help

So I got a 505 - 126/124/127/128 . This 124 in CARS is really making me upset because those passages were longer than any I had ever practiced. I have a 3.94 GPA and good ECS...Do you guys think I should retake? Would getting like a 508 make that much of a difference? I have already submitted my application so would ad coms consider any updated score for giving any interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
So friggin happy I'm finished with that damn test. Got a 515.
C/P: 128
CARS: 126
BISC: 130
PS/SOC: 131

I knew I did worst on cars, and honestly it went better than expected. I studied using examkrackers for about a semester studying 1-2 hrs every day, and then studied about 6hrs a day when I was 2-3weeks out from the exam. I went over all of khan academy psych and soc which I didn't feel like helped me while I was taking the exam, but apparently it did!

Congrats everyone! :D

Reactions: 1 users
I'm kinda shattered because I liked my old mark (516-- 131/126/130/129) other than that CARS score, which is so huge for so many Canadian schools.

That's why I re-wrote.

Well, my overall score is beyond my comprehension-- but I didn't budge at ALL on CARS
521-- 132/126/131/132

To those reading, I marked like 10 of the questions in Psych Social, got two of them guaranteed wrong (off of guesses that I double checked when i left the test) so understand that you may get many wrong but still score an insanely high percentile.

My cGPA at the U of Alberta is 3.75, 3.77 if you ignore the first year. I'm trying to figure out if I should try to re-write in case I improve the CARS score, for the sake of U of Calgary (the school with the highest odds of bringing me in for an interview).

Actual Score: 510--129/126/128/127
Scored exam: 510--129/123/129/129
1st exam Aug 5th: 508: 130/124/128/126

Overall pretty content. Only really retook it to get the CARS score up. Scored exam seems to be on point with your total score

Reactions: 1 users
521 (130 131 130 130). Still shaking, I'm not entirely sure how this happened.

Edit: I've stopped shaking now. Writing study habits.

First thing I did was take the 1st Kaplan test, absolutely cold. Got a 500.
Started reading the Kaplan books, wasn't really getting anywhere, so I signed up for my school's super-cheap $200 class. It sucked so bad. Ended up biting the bullet and signing up for the Kaplan class.

Best thing about the Kaplan class was the sheer number of PBQs. Do PBQs, then do some more, then take a break. Then do more PBQs. That's basically my study habits in a nutshell.

After finals were out in early May, I took a deep dive into my previous practice exams, and studied my weak content areas. My practice tests were kind of sporadic, but I'll list them below.

500 Kaplan FL1 (12/2015, cold)
515 AAMC Practice Scored (mid-Jan)
506 Kaplan HL Diagnostic (Feb, start of Kaplan class)
508 Kaplan FL2 (April)
511 Kaplan FL3 (May)
85% Chem/Phys of AAMC Sample Test (May)
517 AAMC Scored (section a day, May)

What were average scores for the PBQs?

It's done, lordy mercy it's done! I am going to gorge myself on shrimp n grits and cry tears of joy. Plus beer. Beer is good.

But first I'll give my score rundown then briefly hit on study methods for those who haven’t taken it yet.

· TPR 1: 500 (124, 125,125, 126)
· TPR 2: 500 (123, 126, 125, 126)
· TPR 3: 503 (125, 126, 125, 127)
· TPR 4: 505 (125, 128, 126, 126)
· TPR 5: 502 (125, 126, 125, 126)
· Plus a few other TPR tests where I only took one or two sections out of them, averaged 124-127

· AAMC Sample: 85%, 92%, 80%, 85%

· AAMC Question Packs: All of them, averaged about 85%

· Actual: 518 (129, 131, 130, 128)
o Fun Fact: Some guy on reddit made an AAMC Sample: Actual score predictor and it predicted my overall score exactly

I used the TPR ultimate live course and took notes/attended all the classes minus some of the psych/soc (that’s my fault and it shows in the scores). The class was super tedious but I highly recommend some sort of blanket review. You don’t have to go into detail on everything but you never know when that one obscure question is going to pop up and it helps to have a good basis floating around the back of your head to reason through those guys. I

I put those notes into separate labeled binders so I could get to info quickly if need be. I recommend everyone do that and read through them from time to time before the exam.

I started studying early Jan and TPR course started Jan 20. I did a practice test every two weeks for a little while. Then went about a month without a FL tests while I solidified some weak spots. I resumed FL tests every 2-3 weeks until May 20. In addition I more or less stayed on schedule with the assigned practice passages. The last 3-4 weeks I did a TON of practice passages in their science workbook.

My class schedule this past semester was tailored so that everything I took was pertinent to the MCAT. My social psych class was basically my review for the psych/soc section.

The science workbook + practice tests + classes were probably the most important part of my prep. So just stick with it for a few months, don’t slack, target your weak areas, and you’ll have what you need. It’s stressful but use that as a motivator and don’t freak out too much. If you’ve got enough drive to take this beast you’re gonna to do fine in life.

details details details pls

like about what? the score breakdown or my study habits?

Chem/phys: 129 (That section was really hard...)
CARS: 131 (Passages were okay but I was second guessing myself on some questions)
Bio/biochem: 132 (I was super glad I've been doing research for 3 years because the passages sounded like scientific journal articles)
Psyc/soc: 132 (Can't believe I did so well, psych was actually my worst section initially but I studied it a lot.)

I did a lot of studying for the MCAT but I was a bit disorganized and wouldn't recommend anyone do exactly as I did. I signed up for a Kaplan class last fall, every Sunday from October to March, plus a full set of Kaplan review books included. The class was a lot of test taking strategies and no content but their passage outlining lessons definitely helped and we did a lot of practice questions. During the fall, all the studying I did was homework for the class and occasional videos from the Kaplan MCAT channel. During winter break I really doubled down and read about 3-4 chapters from the Kaplan prep books per day, plus I did my first 2 FL practice tests. After winter break I took a FL about every 2 weeks, plus doing more homework for the class. When the class ended in mid March, I decided to take a short break from MCAT studying... This is the part I kinda regret, because I stopped studying for an entire month. I was having a hard time in classes so I wanted to focus on academics and couldn't find more MCAT motivation. Granted, I was taking classes like Biochem 2, Mammalian Physiology, Child Development... All very MCAT-themed classes that I'm sure helped me do well in bio and psych.

Then I started studying again in mid April and was frantic because of all the time I'd lost. I started doing a FL every weekend and watching more MCAT channel videos, as well as trying to finish reading all of my prep books. After finals week ended in early May, I had one more week to study for the MCAT, and I spent 6 of those 7 days studying for 11-12 hours a day. Most of that was finishing content review but I also did a FL and some practice passages too. On the last day I studied about 3-4 hours and then relaxed. Some people say you should finish content review as early as possible and then just do practice problems, but honestly I was glad I studied content until pretty late in the game because it felt very fresh in my memory. Oh and also I probably didn't do near as much CARS practice as some people, but I felt like it was a good subject for me and wanted to focus more on my weak spots in science...

Do you guys mind sharing how you felt after the test vs. how you actually did?
I was sure I wouldn't be happy with my score. I felt like I bombed the psych/sociology section, but I got a 128. I also knew I did poorly on CARS, and I got a 125. Overall, I did better than I expected, and I'm happy with my score.

512: 128/125/131/128

So so relieved!
510: 128/127/128/127
Was planning to apply strictly DO, 3.4cGPA, 3.4sGPA from a top public

Should I try for my instate and low tier MDs as well? Any shot?
Congratulations everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Also, If you guys could include your scores with the number of questions you knew you got wrong for each section that would help a lot. I just want to get a sense of the scale for each section. Thank you and congratulate you all for a job well done.

I felt "meh" and was certain the C/P section had ripped me a new one. I felt worse about it as time went on. But I think some of that's just me being neurotic. From what I've read how you feel after the exam isn't a particularly good indicator of how you actually did.

So so relieved!
510: 128/127/128/127
Was planning to apply strictly DO, 3.4cGPA, 3.4sGPA from a top public

Should I try for my instate and low tier MDs as well? Any shot?
Congratulations everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I would def. apply with that! It depends on what state though. States like Florida, Texas, and Illinois would be most favorable to your GPA. I'm going in with a 3.7/3.4 and I'm thankful i'm in TX haha

I thought C/P was absolutely by far and away the hardest thing I had ever seen. I guessed on at least 20 MINIMUM and scored a 128.

I thought B/B was one of the easiest B/B sections ever. Only guessed on 7-8. Ended up with a 126.

I have no idea what's going on anymore

Felt so bad I thought I would get below 505

C/P- Marked 30 questions
CARS- thought I got 100%
B/B- Marked 20 questions
P/S- Marked 20 questions

Got a 520 with a 130 in each section

Felt so bad I thought I would get below 505

C/P- Marked 30 questions
CARS- thought I got 100%
B/B- Marked 20 questions
P/S- Marked 20 questions

Got a 520 with a 130 in each section
Wow! That's incredible! I marked 15 questions on my C/P and pretty sure I didn't know others that I didn't mark. The curve must be very good then?

Wow! That's incredible! I marked 15 questions on my C/P and pretty sure I didn't know others that I didn't mark. The curve must be very good then?
I mark whenever I feel the slightest hint of ambiguity.
I doubt I actually got more than 4-5 wrong a section though, as that's how I did on the sample and scored.
The curve is good, but I don't think the curve is actually that good.

I mark whenever I feel the slightest hint of ambiguity.
I doubt I actually got more than 4-5 wrong a section though, as that's how I did on the sample and scored.
The curve is good, but I don't think the curve is actually that good.

Oh I see! Haha I just took the June 18th and the C/P was beyond a nightmare. I actually didn't really know about 15 of them, I was only slightly confident in my answer. I tend to mark only when I know, but I'm praying I get a 510.

Oh I see! Haha I just took the June 18th and the C/P was beyond a nightmare. I actually didn't really know about 15 of them, I was only slightly confident in my answer. I tend to mark only when I know, but I'm praying I get a 510.
I think you can definitely expect +/- 2 from your scored FL. I think that's where most people fall.

So... I'm glad it's over, but I am bummed about my score. It's about the same as my previous score. I was worried the 124's might be detrimental to my application (and they could end up being just that), but Emory's cutoff is a 500 with a 123 in each section, so that makes me feel a little better. I am aiming for the Georgia schools since I am a Georgia resident. (I realize Emory is private, it's just the highest ranked school on my list which is why I used it as a reference.)

1st MCAT: 25 (9/6/10)
2nd MCAT: 27 (8/10/9)
2015 MCAT (3rd test): 502 (124/127/127/124)

I think you can definitely expect +/- 2 from your scored FL. I think that's where most people fall.

Well I got a 509 on my scored, but I would hope I would go up 1 instead of down 2. Although my C/P section is what is destroying my confidence in getting anything above a 500 at this point haha

Congratulations to all of you for getting through this grueling process. For those still waiting on your scores, don't fret, it will come soon enough and just keep yourself calm. You'll most likely get your AAMC Scored FL score +/- 3, although a lot of people tend to do better if not the same.

ACTUAL MCAT SCORE: 519 (132/127/130/130)
AAMC Scored FL: 519 (130/130/130/129)
Unscored AAMC FL: 86%/91%/86%/88%
Kaplan FL 1: 501
Kaplan FL 2: 506
Kaplan FL 3: 510
Kaplan FL 4: 509
Kaplan FL 5: 509
Kaplan FL 6: 509
Kaplan FL 7: 510
Kaplan FL 8: 511
Kaplan FL 9: 512
Kaplan FL 10: 509

Advice for future test takers:

As you can see, I started off alright and then plateau'd for a while at 509, but managed to bump my score up a few points towards the end on the Kaplan FL's.

The AAMC scored FL was easier than the actual exam, so I would HIGHLY recommend doing all the AAMC question pack and section bank questions. I didn't do all the CARS ones and it probably explains my lower score.

As for my study schedule, I would study 3-4 hours a day. Read through all the Kaplan books twice, did every single q bank problem from them, and did as many practice exams as I could. I cannot emphasize doing practice exams -- it is the best way to improve your score.

For verbal, I would recommend ditching Kaplan and using the EK method. I was scoring 125's on early practice exams and after working on the technique I bumped it up to 127-128's on the later exams.

Best of luck to you all on your applications!

Well I got a 509 on my scored, but I would hope I would go up 1 instead of down 2. Although my C/P section is what is destroying my confidence in getting anything above a 500 at this point haha
Dude just concentrate and you can get it
Don't agonize over it, just do it
Easier said than done though lol

So... I'm glad it's over, but I am bummed about my score. It's about the same as my previous score. I was worried the 124's might be detrimental to my application (and they could end up being just that), but Emory's cutoff is a 500 with a 123 in each section, so that makes me feel a little better. I am aiming for the Georgia schools since I am a Georgia resident. (I realize Emory is private, it's just the highest ranked school on my list which is why I used it as a reference.)

1st MCAT: 25 (9/6/10)
2nd MCAT: 27 (8/10/9)
2015 MCAT (3rd test): 502 (124/127/127/124)

I think a 502 is less than a 27, so the fact that you decreased a bit is concerning. Were you getting good scores on your AAMC practice exams? Most DO schools want a 505, so a 502 for MD is pretty low. If you have a killer GPA you may be able to get interviews at the georgia state schools.

Freaked out when I saw this.

Actual: 515 (131,125,131,128)
AAMC Scored: 511 (131, 123, 130, 127)
AAMC Unscored: 78% (80,72,88,73)

TPR 1-4: 505, 504, 503, 507
TPR Review+Demo: Averaged 506
TPR Complete 1-3: Averaged 507

I used the TPR review set (2nd ed) and khan academy videos to supplement P/S content.

I think a 502 is less than a 27, so the fact that you decreased a bit is concerning. Were you getting good scores on your AAMC practice exams? Most DO schools want a 505, so a 502 for MD is pretty low. If you have a killer GPA you may be able to get interviews at the georgia state schools.
This chart may help

Attachments

• MCAT Percentile Comparison.png
    MCAT Percentile Comparison.png
    115.5 KB · Views: 166
515 (131,125,131,128)
Copy/Paste of my initial reaction:
C/P: Not terrible, but not easy. I was hoping for more organic/biochem like on the scored but today had way more calculations. I finished with ~6 minutes left in this section when I usually have around ~10 on practice exams. Happy about the gen chem passages though.
CARS: Didn't seem very different from the scored to me, but Im the wrong person to ask because it has always been my worst section; I usually only score at 125-126. Finished on time though, so that was a good sign.

B/B: I had a ton of figures in all but 2 passages. Much harder than the section bank in my opinion. I can think of 2 FSQ's that were super random and had to guess on one of them. In all, I think this was the hardest section.

P/S: Seemed a lot like the last TPR practice exams I did. Im a little irritated that I studied the TPR book front to back + KA videos and still saw terms I had never seen before.. The questions themselves seemed pretty straightforward though and it was nice to have a few passages without any figures.

I had the brutal C/P where I thought I absolutely bombed it. Guessed at least 20 choices and ended up w a 128

On the other hand I thought B/B was the easiest thing ever and ended up with 126.

I don't understand this test

Total was 508
128/126/126/128

Aamc scored was 506.

Anyone know if 126 screens you out of MD?
No, it won't! That's equivalent to 9+ on each of those sections comparing to the old version. That's a solid score!

Chem/Physical: My weakest, but thought it went okay. Actual 125 (57th)
CARS: Always my best. Thought I pretty much killed it. Actual 128 (90th)
Bio/Biochem: Sent straight from the pits of hell. Actual 127 (78th)
Psych/Soc: Thought I did well, but a lot of weird questions/answers. Actual 128 (86th)

Overall felt like anywhere between 30th-90th percentile afterwards. Actual 508 (79th)

Last edited:

I thought 502 was a 27.. :/ I'm just going to run with it... I posted as sweetdreamzzz when I was at work earlier.. Below are all my practice tests compiled into one post

"AAMC FL #1 (unscored)
Chem/Phys: 45/59 (76%)
CARS: 46/53 (87%)
Bio/Biochem: 39/59 (66%)
Psych/Soc: 50/59 (85%)

AAMC FL #2 (scored): 507 (76%)
Chem/Phys: 36/59 (61%) -> 125 (57 percentile)
CARS: 46/53 (87%) -> 129 (95 percentile)
Bio/Biochem: 47/59 (80%) -> 128 (87 percentile)
Psych/Soc: 41/59 (69%) -> 125 (55 percentile)

I took the AAMC scored before the unscored just fyi"

Kaplan tests:
1: 494 (122, 124, 124, 124)
2: 496 (123, 124, 126, 123)
3: 497 (124, 125, 125, 123)
4: 504 (125, 127, 125, 127)
5: 496 (126, 122, 124, 124)
6: 496 (124, 123, 124, 125)
7: 494 (124, 123, 123, 124)
8: 499 (124, 126, 124, 125)

5/20/2016 MCAT: 502 (126, 125, 125, 126)
5/22/2015 MCAT: 499 (127, 122, 126, 124)

I did a total of 10 practice tests plus section banks which is ~2 practice tests = 12 exams before this mcat not including tests I used when studying for 2 MCATs before this one...

Last edited:
I thought 502 was a 27.. :/ I'm just going to run with it... I posted as sweetdreamzzz when I was at work earlier.. Below are all my practice tests compiled into one post

"AAMC FL #1 (unscored)

Kaplan tests:

I did a total of 10 practice tests plus section banks which is ~2 practice tests = 12 exams before this mcat not including tests I used when studying for 2 MCATs before this one...
I think DO is probably your best bet, but check https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/157998/factstablea24.html
To see where your GPA/MCAT line up

"AAMC FL #1 (unscored)

Kaplan tests:

Oh is this a different person? I responded to "ksturdy". Why was there such a difference between your scored and real exam? Did you just have a bad day? Your scored and unscored are pretty good, so I would look into why you scored lower on the real thing. 502 is okay for DO, but unless you have an excellent GPA, URM, or other factors, a 502 is low. Do you think if you retook it you could score much higher?

Oh is this a different person? I responded to "ksturdy". Why was there such a difference between your scored and real exam? Did you just have a bad day? Your scored and unscored are pretty good, so I would look into why you scored lower on the real thing. 502 is okay for DO, but unless you have an excellent GPA, URM, or other factors, a 502 is low. Do you think if you retook it you could score much higher?

I'm a slow reader so ran out of time on almost all the sections... This was my third test (scored 22 on the first mcat) so I'm content with this score which is on the low side but higher than a 499. I'll be a reapplicant to most DO schools except the new ones and Burrell. I just want to escape from the limbo that I've been in since graduation.. I think I'll be happy anywhere that accepts me.

Thanks for all the advise! @Ml2015

Last edited: