The official MCAT May 20th 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sofpink

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else will be taking the MCAT on May 20 2016. I would like some support, input, and help on your MCAT strategies I am only studying 2 hours a day for the MCAT, as I am taking a full load semester. Anyone else in this track?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
ACTUAL MCAT: 519 (couldn't believe it)
Kaplan Diagnostic: 490
FL 1: 498
FL2: 504
AAMC practice (1 week before): 511
anything is possible if you believe

side note: I have a 3.5 gpa from a top 20 undergrad school do i have a shot at getting in to selective schools?

I thought 502 was a 27.. :/ I'm just going to run with it... I posted as sweetdreamzzz when I was at work earlier.. Below are all my practice tests compiled into one post

"AAMC FL #1 (unscored)
Chem/Phys: 45/59 (76%)
CARS: 46/53 (87%)
Bio/Biochem: 39/59 (66%)
Psych/Soc: 50/59 (85%)

AAMC FL #2 (scored): 507 (76%)
Chem/Phys: 36/59 (61%) -> 125 (57 percentile)
CARS: 46/53 (87%) -> 129 (95 percentile)
Bio/Biochem: 47/59 (80%) -> 128 (87 percentile)
Psych/Soc: 41/59 (69%) -> 125 (55 percentile)

I took the AAMC scored before the unscored just fyi"

Kaplan tests:
1: 494 (122, 124, 124, 124)
2: 496 (123, 124, 126, 123)
3: 497 (124, 125, 125, 123)
4: 504 (125, 127, 125, 127)
5: 496 (126, 122, 124, 124)
6: 496 (124, 123, 124, 125)
7: 494 (124, 123, 123, 124)
8: 499 (124, 126, 124, 125)

5/20/2016 MCAT: 502 (126, 125, 125, 126)
5/22/2015 MCAT: 499 (127, 122, 126, 124)

I did a total of 10 practice tests plus section banks which is ~2 practice tests = 12 exams before this mcat not including tests I used when studying for 2 MCATs before this one...

woah what do you think made you drop from 507 scored AAMC to 502 in the real? I'm jw because i was 506 scored

busy watching GoT right now, as I have been to make these last couple of weeks fly by.

Ah Jesus, I hope I don't need to re-write this ****ing test anymore. 3 times is enough

same man. i was 6/18
512!!!!!!!! I'm so ecstatic.
129/127/128/128!!!

My highest practice test score was a 508!! My highest section was the one I thought I did the worst and my lowest was the one I thought was the best haha!

I got a 506 on AAMC scored 1! What was your aamc scored breakdown?

517, I was blown away when I opened it. On Kaplan and TPR my scores were like 499/498/501. There is hope everyone.

what was your aamc scored exam?
509: 128/124/130/127

CARS can kindly get out of my life now :soexcited:

Kaplan tests: 496, 498, 500, 502
AAMC Practice: 508

Rushed myself/didn't give myself enough time on a passage and a half on CARS and being a biochem major/working in a lab helped exponentially in B/B.

what was your aamc breakdown?! congrats!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
517, I was blown away when I opened it. On Kaplan and TPR my scores were like 499/498/501. There is hope everyone.

Did you feel like the exam was easier than the TPR exams that you took (overall or in a specific section)? I also took TPR (as well as NS) exams and took the June 18th exam, but felt that the real exam was only comparable to TPR in terms of CARS.

I personally thought TPR was way harder than the actual exam. I had a friend tell me a decent estimate with them was TPR+10=AAMC, don't know how consistent that is across the board though. I took TPR 123 ultimate and my highest FL was 505 but I got a 518 on the real thing. Also, the physics MCAT teacher said TPR tends to underestimate more when you're scoring above ~502 and less when your ~500 or below on them.

I personally thought TPR was way harder than the actual exam. I had a friend tell me a decent estimate with them was TPR+10=AAMC, don't know how consistent that is across the board though. I took TPR 123 ultimate and my highest FL was 505 but I got a 518 on the real thing. Also, the physics MCAT teacher said TPR tends to underestimate more when you're scoring above ~502 and less when your ~500 or below on them.
I'm hoping that TPR+10 estimate is somewhat true cause then I'd be around my target, although it looks like you did even better than that estimate. Congrats!

Thanks! I still had ~3 weeks after I stopped TPR tests where I did only AAMC material and science workbook passages. Or the MCAT gods smiled upon me that day, who knows? But as long as you stay on top of things you'll do fine, good luck!

First post on these boards.

(128/130/127/128) for a 513.

Kind of an interesting situation in my case, because I did not take a practice FL and so did not have anything to go by initially. However, I did plenty of content review and have taken all the prereqs + more upper level science classes. Hard to be too upset with the results given the circumstances.

That said, I was fully expecting to bomb it and figured it would force me to take an extra year off. I'm wondering now what options would be available to me with this score and a ~3.67 overall from a Big Ten school. I would very much like to do research in the future, and I understand MD/PhD remains out of reach with my stats. What sort of places should I be looking at?

woah what do you think made you drop from 507 scored AAMC to 502 in the real? I'm jw because i was 506 scored
I think timing threw me off and I spent too long on questions.. I blindly guessed on 3-4 questions for chem and bio.. Verbal passages were longer. The topics were also harder for me personally than the scored test.

I think timing threw me off and I spent too long on questions.. I blindly guessed on 3-4 questions for chem and bio.. Verbal passages were longer. The topics were also harder for me personally than the scored test.

What was your score breakdown in each if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Not sure what to think of my score. I got a 506: 127/127/128/124. I have no idea how I did so poorly on PS. How much weight do you think different schools have on the PS section compared to the first three sections?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who took NS exams, how did your bio scores on the actual MCAT compare to the practice tests?
Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

my real bio score was ~ 2 points higher than my NS average. NS did best at predicting my cars a psych score, followed by bio then chem (~2 points higher on real thing)

overall my final NS average over the last week was within about 4 points of my actual score. EK felt pretty close to my real exam too, but they give no scaled score.

YMMV

My trend is U shaped- good first 2 years, bad first junior semester, and good next two years. So idk how that will look haha. I would have preferred to bump it up to 3.5, so I'm taking a few science classes these next to semesters just in case. Just took my MCAT and the C/P was killer haha I have no idea what my score could be.
I'm not sure if the science gpa will be a disadvantage. I am a TX resident, and TX heavily favours high gpa and lower mcat, which is frustrating.

I think that trend might be okay... I hope your scores turn out well! The physics on my test did not play to my strengths, so I can understand that feeling.

My friend got into a few TX schools while she was in the SMP with me. (She applied the summer before starting the SMP and interviewed during the program). I don't know how much of an influence the SMP played on her getting accepted, but she got in nonetheless! If you think you are at a disadvantage with your GPA, then I guess you could do a SMP, but that is a personal choice. Good luck!

Not sure what to think of my score. I got a 506: 127/127/128/124. I have no idea how I did so poorly on PS. How much weight do you think different schools have on the PS section compared to the first three sections?
From what I understand, Adcoms generally value the sections (in descending order): B/B, CARS, C/P, P/S. However, apparently they weight each section the same.

By any chance have you heard which schools these were? (that would mean a lot for my breakdown)
I'm sorry I haven't :( my Prehealth advisor told me my balanced score might not mean much

I think it depends on the admissions committee member who reviews the applicantion as well as the medical school

To my knowledge, applications aren't sent out to schools until July 15th

Primaries were transmitted yesterday, June 24th. Some on the school specific threads have gotten secondaries, but the majority (myself included) have not. It doesn't seem to be in any specific order, since I submitted my primary on the 8th and am already verified.

Do you thi
Primaries were transmitted yesterday, June 24th. Some on the school specific threads have gotten secondaries, but the majority (myself included) have not. It doesn't seem to be in any specific order, since I submitted my primary on the 8th and am already verified.

Do you think I will be a disadvantage since I submitted my application on the 17th?

I think on SDN, if you don't submit by day 1 of when apps open, you're late... I've heard June is early, July is a little early/on time, and August is on time/a little late?

You won't be at a disadvantage submitting in June, that's still plenty early. You just may not have your app transmitted on the very first day (yesterday), which is totally fine.

Actual MCAT: 512 (131, 127, 125, 129)
Surprising cause CARS was my weakest and Biology was my strongest. Very happy though.

Studied with TPR, Khan, EK, and all AAMC material:
TPR:
Course Test 1: 496 ( 124, 124, 124, 124)
Course Test 2: 500 (125, 124, 126, 125)
Course Test 3: 502 (126 126, 125, 125)
Course Test 4: 507 (126, 127, 127, 127)
Course Test 5: 501 (124, 124, 125, 128)
Complete Test 1: 503 (126, 125, 125, 127)
Complete Test 2: 502 (125, 123, 126, 128)
Complete Test 3: 504 (127, 124, 126, 127)
Demo Test: 500 (124, 126, 123, 127)
Review Test 1: 502(125, 126, 124, 127)
Review Test 2: 499 (124, 126, 123, 126)
AAMC:
Sample Test: (75, 81, 76, 80) (Percentages)
BioPack Volume 1: 72%
BioPack Volume 2: 81%
ChemPack: 78%
CARS Volume 1: 73%
CARS Volume 2: 78%
Physics: 91%
EK:
EK1: 64 Overall (64, 62, 63, 68)
EK2: 67 ( 57, 67, 69, 71)

I remember breaking down when I saw a 505 on my AAMC Scored Exam. (127,124,128,126). Thank gawd I postponed my April 23rd Exam.

Hallelujah, it is over.

Actual MCAT: 512 (131, 127, 125, 129)
Surprising cause CARS was my weakest and Biology was my strongest. Very happy though.

Studied with TPR, Khan, EK, and all AAMC material:
TPR:
Course Test 1: 496 ( 124, 124, 124, 124)
Course Test 2: 500 (125, 124, 126, 125)
Course Test 3: 502 (126 126, 125, 125)
Course Test 4: 507 (126, 127, 127, 127)
Course Test 5: 501 (124, 124, 125, 128)
Complete Test 1: 503 (126, 125, 125, 127)
Complete Test 2: 502 (125, 123, 126, 128)
Complete Test 3: 504 (127, 124, 126, 127)
Demo Test: 500 (124, 126, 123, 127)
Review Test 1: 502(125, 126, 124, 127)
Review Test 2: 499 (124, 126, 123, 126)
AAMC:
Sample Test: (75, 81, 76, 80) (Percentages)
BioPack Volume 1: 72%
BioPack Volume 2: 81%
ChemPack: 78%
CARS Volume 1: 73%
CARS Volume 2: 78%
Physics: 91%
EK:
EK1: 64 Overall (64, 62, 63, 68)
EK2: 67 ( 57, 67, 69, 71)

I remember breaking down when I saw a 505 on my AAMC Scored Exam. (127,124,128,126). Thank gawd I postponed my April 23rd Exam.

Hallelujah, it is over.
what is the difference between course test, complete test, and review test? :D

what is the difference between course test, complete test, and review test? :D

Course tests are part of the course. Complete tests are after you complete the course (the reviewing part). Review tests are... I guess just tests that try to encompass all that you have learned. Overall, all the tests had the same format, same scoring. To be honest, they are all pretty similar.

does each mcat tpr book come with different tests sen

my friend took like 4 tpr tests but no matter what book you get, the practice tests are the same

Yeah, any individual TPR book you buy has the TPR sample test, and FLs 1 and 2. I'm not sure how you would get the other tests unless you took one of their courses.

Important Question: 4/5 of my letters have been received by AMCAS, however, the last letter will not be uploaded until ~August 1st after he returns to the U.S on July 28th. Would it be better for me to have medical schools wait for the last letter before they review my application (which would probably put me significantly behind) or have them review without it? For reference, the LOR is from my PI when I was an undergrad (2 years ago) and my work resulted in a poster presentation. The letter makes remarks about my character (which is indicated in another letter from an employer) and intelligence (also indicated by strong MCAT score) other than the usual descriptions of roles and achievements in the lab. I submitted my primary application on June 17th and should be verified later this week based on the current trend. Assuming I receive secondaries within a few days of verification, most of my secondaries should be submitted by the 2nd and 3rd week of July.

So, when can I sell my MCAT books? I'm satisfied with my score, but do I hold onto them in case of a dreaded failed app cycle?
If you have a strong MCAT score, I would sell them. Although, you could also wait until ~October - November when acceptances come out before you make a decision to get rid of them.... Not sure if this reply is particularly helpful lol

Congrats everyone on your amazing scores!! I have a small question. I just graduated and decided to take a year off. I will be applying to medical school next cycle. I have been studying for MCAT since March. I signed up for July 22nd exam. Would it be better to postpone my exam to August to have more time to take additional practice exams? Any suggestions?
And after sitting for the exam, is there anything different you would have done to achieve a higher score???
Depends on what you think will be better

Hi guys! I know it's been a few months since you guys got your scores and Congrats to all those who did well and good luck on apps!!

I'm currently studying for the January 2017 MCAT. I got a 494 on my first test and now I'm doing the AAMC Q banks and Khan Academy and I'm wondering if it's normal to start off in the 50%-60% range on the first try? I'm getting a little discouraged coz everyone who posts their stats seems to be getting them in the 80s.

I'm currently studying for the January 2017 MCAT. I got a 494 on my first test and now I'm doing the AAMC Q banks and Khan Academy and I'm wondering if it's normal to start off in the 50%-60% range on the first try? I'm getting a little discouraged coz everyone who posts their stats seems to be getting them in the 80s.
When was your first test? I'll be honest, 50-60% is a little low, but if it's been a while since your content review, that might be a factor. The good news is you should have plenty of time to get those percentages up before January!

First thing: I would recommend going back through the questions you've missed and trying to find a pattern--are you missing a certain style of question (like the Roman numeral ones or something) more than others? are you missing when it says "NOT" or "provides the least support?" If it's things like that, it may be easily fixed if you can find a strategy to read the questions more intentionally.

If you're missing questions about experiments & their associated data (graphs, tables, etc), you might try reading some published articles and spending time outlining the objective of the experiment and becoming more familiar with methods, making certain you can interpret the graphs, and puzzling out what the results mean. For those who aren't used to reading a lot of biochemical research (i.e. ME), this can be tricky to pick up just by doing practice problems, even if they are passage-based.

Feel free to PM, I'm happy to help if I can!

Hi guys! I know it's been a few months since you guys got your scores and Congrats to all those who did well and good luck on apps!!

What was your breakdown? I agree with @Eleithyia on reviewing EVERY question, whether you got it right or wrong. If you get it wrong, make sure you know why (content issue, critical thinking error, missed important info in the passage, etc.) and if you get it correct, make sure that you got it right for the correct reasons. This is going to take up a lot of your time, but I promise it will be worth it in the end. Personally, I used TPR and took their exams (Core 1-5, Review 1+2, Complete 1-3) and strongly recommend doing the complete tests at least for P/S prep if you don't get through all of the full-lengths. TPR's FLs, like almost all of the other test companies, are extremely content heavy, however, strengthen your critical thinking skills in my opinion. Lastly, become familiar with published articles for B/B (as Eleithyia said). Im not sure about other members on SDN, but my B/B section was EXTREMELY data-heavy - we're talking 3 large graphs of experimental data and 2 tables for a 4-question passage. Get used to the language researchers use and create your own system for keeping track of abbreviations. My B/B, and many other people's B/B section from what i've heard, had a TON of abbreviations for experimental groups, each with a missing/added gene, protein, tag, etc. Make sure you can keep track of them or it will be a nightmare continually going back to the passage to check what was missing/added in XYZ13fq097D protein on test day. For reference, I scored 515 (131,125,131,128) so I won't be much help for CARS, but I can do my best if you need some tips for C/P & B/B. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users

And sorry, I realized I didn't really answer your question. I don't mean any disrespect, but 50-60% is pretty low. However, one of my friends from undergrad consistently scored 60-65% on the Q banks and ended up with a 29 (equivalent to a 506 in terms of percentiles). I would see how you do on the section banks, rather than the Q banks - these questions/passages are most similar (in my opinion) to the difficulty you will see on test day (in my experience, the students that take the SB's 2-3x each and review all of the questions, right or wrong, are the most successful). It's not uncommon for people to score 60% on the section banks and still score 507+, but you really should be scoring ~75-80% on SB's if you want that 510+ score.

For reference, I scored 515 (131,125,131,128) so I won't be much help for CARS, but I can do my best if you need some tips for C/P & B/B. Good luck!
I also got a 515, slanted the opposite way (126/131/128/130). Between the two of us we probably have some good advice :)

What was your breakdown? I agree with @Eleithyia on reviewing EVERY question, whether you got it right or wrong. If you get it wrong, make sure you know why (content issue, critical thinking error, missed important info in the passage, etc.) and if you get it correct, make sure that you got it right for the correct reasons. This is going to take up a lot of your time, but I promise it will be worth it in the end. Personally, I used TPR and took their exams (Core 1-5, Review 1+2, Complete 1-3) and strongly recommend doing the complete tests at least for P/S prep if you don't get through all of the full-lengths. TPR's FLs, like almost all of the other test companies, are extremely content heavy, however, strengthen your critical thinking skills in my opinion. Lastly, become familiar with published articles for B/B (as Eleithyia said). Im not sure about other members on SDN, but my B/B section was EXTREMELY data-heavy - we're talking 3 large graphs of experimental data and 2 tables for a 4-question passage. Get used to the language researchers use and create your own system for keeping track of abbreviations. My B/B, and many other people's B/B section from what i've heard, had a TON of abbreviations for experimental groups, each with a missing/added gene, protein, tag, etc. Make sure you can keep track of them or it will be a nightmare continually going back to the passage to check what was missing/added in XYZ13fq097D protein on test day. For reference, I scored 515 (131,125,131,128) so I won't be much help for CARS, but I can do my best if you need some tips for C/P & B/B. Good luck!
Would love last minute tips for C/P and B/B for my sept 10th test date!

Yes, I have Kaplan and AAMC passages!

Okay so I managed a 518 on my MCAT and I attribute that to mainly two things 1) the rigor of my undergrad (not real applicable here) and 2) what I'm about to say.

BunnyMan's quick and dirty MCAT practice

1) Find 3 or 4 passages on a similar and/or related topic, preferably one you're weak in. Get a few sheets of paper
2) Do said passages, don't worry about time too much
3) Go over every single question and outline on the sheets why you got it right/wrong. Right=just a sentence. Wrong= 2 or 3 explaining the missed concept.
4) Look at the % you got correct, I'd aim for 70-80 average
5) Read over the new outline to make sure you understand what you missed.
6) Wash, rinse, repeat. After a few hours you'll have a nice little outline that can be used to identify weaknesses. Spend the next hour or two filling in the holes then move on to the next topic.

Doing practice FL is crucial but the above method was really when I saw my scores jump. 3 or 4 is long enough it won't weaken your endurance but short enough you don't really have to re-read/remember too much (i.e. waste time) when you're trying to figure out why you got something wrong.

Good Luck!

Okay so I managed a 518 on my MCAT and I attribute that to mainly two things 1) the rigor of my undergrad (not real applicable here) and 2) what I'm about to say.

BunnyMan's quick and dirty MCAT practice

1) Find 3 or 4 passages on a similar and/or related topic, preferably one you're weak in. Get a few sheets of paper
2) Do said passages, don't worry about time too much
3) Go over every single question and outline on the sheets why you got it right/wrong. Right=just a sentence. Wrong= 2 or 3 explaining the missed concept.
4) Look at the % you got correct, I'd aim for 70-80 average
5) Read over the new outline to make sure you understand what you missed.
6) Wash, rinse, repeat. After a few hours you'll have a nice little outline that can be used to identify weaknesses. Spend the next hour or two filling in the holes then move on to the next topic.

Doing practice FL is crucial but the above method was really when I saw my scores jump. 3 or 4 is long enough it won't weaken your endurance but short enough you don't really have to re-read/remember too much (i.e. waste time) when you're trying to figure out why you got something wrong.

Good Luck!
Thank you so much!

Would love last minute tips for C/P and B/B for my sept 10th test date!
C/P: Master acids & bases and related concepts such as the ionization of an aa or molecule (e.g H2SO4) based on pKa, pI, etc. Also, memorize all 20 aa structures (which I'm sure you have already) and their properties: non-polar, polar, polar acidic, etc. and relative pI values - ~6 for non-polar+polar neutral, <6 for polar acidic and >6 for polar basic. Of course, the actual pI values are much different than those numbers, but those ranges will be sufficient to arrive at the correct answer. Im willing to bet you will encounter at least 6 questions between C/P & B/B that will test your knowledge of them in some way.

B/B: Try to only do data-heavy passages this close to test day. By now, you probably kill all of the content-based passages, but make sure you get more critical thinking practice with figures. Of the 10 passages I got, I only had 2 that did not have experimental data in the passage.

C/P: Master acids & bases and related concepts such as the ionization of an aa or molecule (e.g H2SO4) based on pKa, pI, etc. Also, memorize all 20 aa structures (which I'm sure you have already) and their properties: non-polar, polar, polar acidic, etc. and relative pI values - ~6 for non-polar+polar neutral, <6 for polar acidic and >6 for polar basic. Of course, the actual pI values are much different than those numbers, but those ranges will be sufficient to arrive at the correct answer. Im willing to bet you will encounter at least 6 questions between C/P & B/B that will test your knowledge of them in some way.

B/B: Try to only do data-heavy passages this close to test day. By now, you probably kill all of the content-based passages, but make sure you get more critical thinking practice with figures. Of the 10 passages I got, I only had 2 that did not have experimental data in the passage.
Thank you so much! You're a life saver!