The official MCAT May 20th 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sofpink

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else will be taking the MCAT on May 20 2016. I would like some support, input, and help on your MCAT strategies I am only studying 2 hours a day for the MCAT, as I am taking a full load semester. Anyone else in this track?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Do you guys take notes/summary when you go over the content review books? I feel more confident when I rewrite notes but its time consuming. Any suggestions?

My method is outlining every chapter but yes it's time consuming. It's taken me about 2-3 weeks to get through one book (in between classes) so I'm trying to get a better/new method going

Mentally committed to taking on this date. I'm retaking from my first MCAT flop in January 2015--excited, nervous, overwhelmed and determined. I already feel so behind that everyone has started content review! The first time I took it, I studied for a solid 4 months and experienced some serious burnout, so I'm going to do February-May on this one. I want to start with biochem and psych since those are the 2 newest subjects and I'm fresh out of both from last semester. Anyone have advice for a diagnostic? I don't know if I want to do a full-length, half-length or even when to do them. Did everyone do some content reviewing beforehand?
I'm personally saving my FL's until im completely done with content review. I'm doing one book at a time and then doing the qpacks the following week for that subject. Many people save the qpacks toward the end of there studying period, but I feel like I'll do decent with my method. We'll see :thinking:

Reactions: 1 user
My method is outlining every chapter but yes it's time consuming. It's taken me about 2-3 weeks to get through one book (in between classes) so I'm trying to get a better/new method going
Yeah I am trying to find a better way but I think its a great method since it helps me to memorize and learn the material faster. I might just stick to it and study few more hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
just signed up for this date! placed on a wait list recently so looks like i'm going to have to retake

I'm personally saving my FL's until im completely done with content review. I'm doing one book at a time and then doing the qpacks the following week for that subject. Many people save the qpacks toward the end of there studying period, but I feel like I'll do decent with my method. We'll see :thinking:

How long is it taking you to finish a book?

How long is it taking you to finish a book?
About 5 days but I wont start the next book until the week is over. I had already read 2 chapters of every kaplan book. I kinda got tired of that method so i decided to do 2 chapters a day of one book. At that rate ill be finishing books every Friday night, then i use my saturdays/sundays to review the books a little and review the qpacks. It seems to be working pretty well so far. I'm half way through bio qpack vol 1 and it seems really easy. I'm not sure how representative the qpacks are though.

79% for the biology vol. 1 Qpack. The questions seemed very easy to me, so I'm not exactly sure how representative it is to the real thing, hopefully very representative. :) Now time for physics chapter and reviewing the qpack for the rest of the week!

I see where you're coming from... the question is asking you to think about the beginning state of the oil and water (before mixing) versus the end state of the oil and water (after mixing is finished; that is, when they are separate).

The dS in experiment B is zero because the oil and water are no more separated/"organized" than they were before mixing; they started out separated and at the end they were still separate. If they were more "organized" than before, the dS would be negative (e.g. if it asked you to compare dS during mixing to dS after mixing).

These questions kill me, I would have compared the just mixed state with the final state and reasoned that the liquids mix or separate on their own in the way that will increase entropy the most, so an increase in both cases.

Another question for you guys.

Increased synthetic activity of the parathyroid glands would lead to:
A. Increase in renal calcium reabsorption
B. A decrease in the rate of bone resorption.
C. A decrease in basal metabolic reate.
D. A decrease in blood glucose concentration.

I see why A is right, but isn't B also right? If the bones are taking in less calcium that would lead to an increase in blood calcium concentration wouldn't it? Or am I misunderstanding the definition of resorption?

Another question for you guys.

Increased synthetic activity of the parathyroid glands would lead to:
A. Increase in renal calcium reabsorption
B. A decrease in the rate of bone resorption.
C. A decrease in basal metabolic reate.
D. A decrease in blood glucose concentration.

I see why A is right, but isn't B also right? If the bones are taking in less calcium that would lead to an increase in blood calcium concentration wouldn't it? Or am I misunderstanding the definition of resorption?
I remember doing this question and thinking the exact same thing. It's bc resorption is the osteoclasts breaking down bone and releasing it into blood (not reabsorbtion which I guess is what I decided that meant) that decreases so there is less in the blood which would be a calcitonin job not parathyroid.

I remember doing this question and thinking the exact same thing. It's bc resorption is the osteoclasts breaking down bone and releasing it into blood (not reabsorbtion which I guess is what I decided that meant) that decreases so there is less in the blood which would be a calcitonin job not parathyroid.

Thank you. It'd be nice if Kaplan explained resorption haha. But that makes sense

I feel myself slowly falling behind in studying. Still plenty of time, but anxiety is starting to rise.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel myself slowly falling behind in studying. Still plenty of time, but anxiety is starting to rise.
I definitely know how you feel. I'm pretty much just half way through content review now :nailbiting: Though, im hoping to be done in 3 weeks. I finished physics last week and I'm probably going to have to redo it completely because I didn't retain anything :mad:

I definitely know how you feel. I'm pretty much just half way through content review now :nailbiting: Though, im hoping to be done in 3 weeks. I finished physics last week and I'm probably going to have to redo it completely because I didn't retain anything :mad:
I know exactly how that feels. I'm only done with 2 out of 7 books bc I forget it all and started over with flash cards.

Reactions: 1 users
I know exactly how that feels. I'm only done with 2 out of 7 books bc I forget it all and started over with flash cards.

Literally my life right now. I meant to be done with content review by Feb 20 so I can start doing FL's every weekend but since I've only finished 1.5 books I either have to move my timeline (for the billionth time) or really pick up the pace these next 12 days (which, as a masochist, is probably what I'll do :blackeye:)

Also- I think I'm currently in denial about the difficulty of this exam. I'm reading all this stuff and I'm just like, there's NO way it's ALL on the test (even though I know it is). Is anyone else there too? Lol.

Also- I think I'm currently in denial about the difficulty of this exam. I'm reading all this stuff and I'm just like, there's NO way it's ALL on the test (even though I know it is). Is anyone else there too? Lol.
I'm definitely feeling this, especially in physics and physiology. The physiology stuff in my books is way beyond what I went over in general bio. Physics, I just don't get at all. I keep reading through stuff in those sections, not entirely getting it, and then trying to reassure myself that it won't be a big deal on the test.

I'm definitely feeling this, especially in physics and physiology. The physiology stuff in my books is way beyond what I went over in general bio. Physics, I just don't get at all. I keep reading through stuff in those sections, not entirely getting it, and then trying to reassure myself that it won't be a big deal on the test.

Today is the first day of my Kaplan course, wish me luck.
Hopefully everyone else sucks at this as much as I do (or preferably more)!!! :)

I'm still in content review, and I'm in this weird place right now... Increasingly can't tell the difference between things I know and things that seem familiar because I saw them three years ago, but I haven't retained.

I think possibly the hardest thing about this test is the mind games that come with it.

So I have been doing well in a lot of the content review but I am killing it (in the worst way possible) for CARS. I have a lot of resources, but I'm just not sure I have a strategy down. Anyone have something solid down they would not mind sharing? By the way...I'm in this with ya'll for the long haul to May 20th and beyond! Good luck.

So I have been doing well in a lot of the content review but I am killing it (in the worst way possible) for CARS. I have a lot of resources, but I'm just not sure I have a strategy down. Anyone have something solid down they would not mind sharing? By the way...I'm in this with ya'll for the long haul to May 20th and beyond! Good luck.
I've been reading through Kaplan's CARS strategy book, and for the most part it seems helpful. Basically what they advise doing is writing a 5-7 word summary of each paragraph as you read and then a summary of the entire passage at the end. Idk why but this seems to really help me, maybe because it forces me to slow down and reflect on each part. But definitely try out a bunch of different strategies and see what works best for you. That being said, sometimes I'll do passages and get every question right and then sometimes I'll get 4/5 of them wrong. But it seems to be more of the former with this strategy.

Sorry to keep blowing you guys up with questions but I have another answer that I don't entirely agree with from Kaplan.

Restriction endonuclease are used for which of the following?
I. Gene Therapy
II. Southern Blotting
III. DNA Repair

A. I only B. II only C. II and III only D. I,II, and III only

So from my understanding, restriction endonucleases create double stranded breaks, like what you would need in southern blotting, and excision endonucleases make single strand breaks like what you would use for base excision and nucleotide excision repair (the two types of DNA repair). I would think that would mean the answer would be I and II which isn't a choice. Anyone have any insight into why this answer is D?

Sorry to keep blowing you guys up with questions but I have another answer that I don't entirely agree with from Kaplan.

Restriction endonuclease are used for which of the following?
I. Gene Therapy
II. Southern Blotting
III. DNA Repair

A. I only B. II only C. II and III only D. I,II, and III only

So from my understanding, restriction endonucleases create double stranded breaks, like what you would need in southern blotting, and excision endonucleases make single strand breaks like what you would use for base excision and nucleotide excision repair (the two types of DNA repair). I would think that would mean the answer would be I and II which isn't a choice. Anyone have any insight into why this answer is D?

So you disagree with the fact the restriction endonucleases can be used by the cell for DNA repair? Excision endonulease and restriction endonuclease are both endonuclease and what if both DNA strands are dimerized? then you could use restriction endonucleasese to repair it!!

Attachments

• exicison endonuclease.png
    exicison endonuclease.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
What do u guys think of this Q:
I cant wrap my head around the explanation and it does not make sense to me since it does not seem realistic!!!

1. Which of the following statements describes an organism approaching equilibrium?
    1. It has a high intracellular ratio of ATP/ADP.

2. It attains the most efficient state of metabolism.

3. There is a constant input of energy into the organism.

4. It experiences intracellular death and decay

What do u guys think of this Q:
I cant wrap my head around the explanation and it does not make sense to me since it does not seem realistic!!!

1. Which of the following statements describes an organism approaching equilibrium?
    1. It has a high intracellular ratio of ATP/ADP.

2. It attains the most efficient state of metabolism.

3. There is a constant input of energy into the organism.

4. It experiences intracellular death and decay
Wtf is equilibrium? I would say #4 in terms of entropy

@Vero Medico Its just like reactants and products and le chatliers principle. The reaction goes both ways in death and decay until an equilibrium is reached.

4 is right! but what was your reasoning?
Well my high school bio teacher once told me that life is a fight against increasing entropy

Alternatively you can think of equilibrium as the rate of forward and reverse reactions being equal which can really not happen in a living system

Well my high school bio teacher once told me that life is a fight against increasing entropy

Alternatively you can think of equilibrium as the rate of forward and reverse reactions being equal which can really not happen in a living system

Interesting how MCAT can test ur high school knowledge!! :p

I've been reading through Kaplan's CARS strategy book, and for the most part it seems helpful. Basically what they advise doing is writing a 5-7 word summary of each paragraph as you read and then a summary of the entire passage at the end. Idk why but this seems to really help me, maybe because it forces me to slow down and reflect on each part. But definitely try out a bunch of different strategies and see what works best for you. That being said, sometimes I'll do passages and get every question right and then sometimes I'll get 4/5 of them wrong. But it seems to be more of the former with this strategy.
Hey thank you!
Here I was thinking great, I can go through a whole passage, get them all right and then go through the whole next passage and get all but one wrong. My inconsistency is what I am really worried about. I know I am probably low baling it, but I believe if I had to take the MCAT tomorrow I would probably get a "6" in CARS. Does anyone out there truly believe I can improve my score in the next 15 weeks?!?

I have tried the taking down key words and paraphrasing before but it really slows me down. Maybe I should give it a try again! I have just been reading in 2-3 minutes per passages and leaving 7 minutes for questions.

Is it right that it is 9 passages 90 minutes? Or did I make that up in my head. Thanks everyone! Also I am loving the questions that are coming through the feed. Great way to study.

Hey thank you!
Here I was thinking great, I can go through a whole passage, get them all right and then go through the whole next passage and get all but one wrong. My inconsistency is what I am really worried about. I know I am probably low baling it, but I believe if I had to take the MCAT tomorrow I would probably get a "6" in CARS. Does anyone out there truly believe I can improve my score in the next 15 weeks?!?

I have tried the taking down key words and paraphrasing before but it really slows me down. Maybe I should give it a try again! I have just been reading in 2-3 minutes per passages and leaving 7 minutes for questions.

Is it right that it is 9 passages 90 minutes? Or did I make that up in my head. Thanks everyone! Also I am loving the questions that are coming through the feed. Great way to study.

I believe if you are consistent with your strategy and your practice with CARS, you will improve in 3 months/ half. Also check out the Khan academy videos on CARS!

You can check his CARS strategy class as well if you are very worried; everyone knows he is the best!

https://www.jackwestin.com/

Last edited:
Hey guys,

What do u think about completing the AAMC sample test ( scored) once after you are done with the content review and once few weeks before the real deal!

any comments would be appreciated!

Hey guys,

What do u think about completing the AAMC sample test ( scored) once after you are done with the content review and once few weeks before the real deal!

Agree with @kb1900 . The questions and passages would already be familiar and if you checked what you got wrong the first time, that was targeted learning. Since the passages and questions won't be the same--or on the same topic/subtopic--taking the same test over again will likely give a score that's higher, but doesn't represent what you know/have learned as well.
Good confidence boost maybe? But only if you can talk yourself out of attributing a higher score to having seen it before.

AAMC actually has a sample test and a scored practice test, so you could do the sample test when you finish content review and the scored full-length closer to test day. Personally, I'm more than a little frustrated that we still only have one scored practice exam from AAMC.

Hey guys,

any comments would be appreciated!

I agree with the other responses, and I'd say wait until closer to the actual test day to do the AAMC practice tests. I'm gonna try to do every practice test I can get my hands on before doing the AAMC ones.

Haven't studied for the mcat in a week due to a pile of tests last week. I feel so behind right now lol.

If anyone in Orange County is looking for a study buddy, send me a message! Studying alone is getting lonely and it'd be nice to have someone to stay motivated with!

Last edited:
90 days, 19 hours.
Or 2179 hours.
If only I didn't have to sleep or do class or make money or eat or pee I could study all those hours and.... Probably still have a rough time

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Taking my first FL Saturday though!
Any tips from anyone who already took their first full length?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Did you finish content review yet?

Nope, not even a quarter of the way. I've taken the diagnostic but now that I've had a few Kaplan classes and reviewed a good hunk, I want to sit for a FL. Kaplan gives you 13 FL's (11 Kaplan, 2 AAMC), so I have enough that I can take one once a week or biweekly up until the exam. I also have concentration issues so practicing test day situations will be helpful.

My kaplan instructor said it's better to take your first full length before you finish content review. That way when your score sucks you have an excuse to tell yourself!

My Kaplan instructor said to take them ONLY IF youre going to review them for 2-3x the amount of time it took to take it. That way you're not only doing content review but youre actively addressing weaknesses. So basically, you have to go over each FL about 16 hours.

Nope, not even a quarter of the way. I've taken the diagnostic but now that I've had a few Kaplan classes and reviewed a good hunk, I want to sit for a FL. Kaplan gives you 13 FL's (11 Kaplan, 2 AAMC), so I have enough that I can take one once a week or biweekly up until the exam. I also have concentration issues so practicing test day situations will be helpful.

My Kaplan instructor said to take them ONLY IF youre going to review them for 2-3x the amount of time it took to take it. That way you're not only doing content review but youre actively addressing weaknesses. So basically, you have to go over each FL about 16 hours.

How do you like Kaplan course? Do you find it helpful so far?

Last edited:

Last edited:
Honestly that seems pretty ridiculous to spend 16 hours reviewing an exam, even if you missed every single question. I think the time would be better spent reviewing the general topics you had difficulty with, especially if you had a lot of issues with one subject, like genetics for example. Then do more practice passages from wherever you can get them. At this point it seems like there are more practice tests/passages out there now than anyone could do, so that would probably be the best use of your time.

I think by reviewing she meant, she dedicated time for going over the topics she had mistakes! or maybe Im wrong, but 16 hr of reviewing is decent for a test with 4 sections!

Only one more book to read before I finish content review! Taking my first FL on March 6th. This upcoming week i'm doing P/S book while doing at least one ek 101 passage every day. The following week i'm doing a quick review over ochem/physics because I feel like i didn't retain much from those books. During that week I'll also be doing 10 questions in each qpack (bio 2, chem, physics) and 3 passages in the CARS qpack everyday up until I take my FL that Sunday. I feel like I have a pretty solid schedule going except I have an entire week of just FL review. I'm not sure if this is good or bad. How long do you guys plan to review FL's?

How do you like Kaplan course? Do you find it helpful so far?

Yes ! I wouldnt take it for content review though, it's definitely more strategy! And the stuff that came with it (live online classes in addition to in person, videos, practice tests, qbank, etc) is awesome.

Honestly that seems pretty ridiculous to spend 16 hours reviewing an exam, even if you missed every single question. I think the time would be better spent reviewing the general topics you had difficulty with, especially if you had a lot of issues with one subject, like genetics for example. Then do more practice passages from wherever you can get them. At this point it seems like there are more practice tests/passages out there now than anyone could do, so that would probably be the best use of your time.

That's actually how you're supposed to review it haha. Like you go through each question, figure out why you got it wrong and then review that topic. Then you go to the next one. Etc. And then overall topics as well.

I think by reviewing she meant, she dedicated time for going over the topics she had mistakes! or maybe Im wrong, but 16 hr of reviewing is decent for a test with 4 sections!

^ Yup!

Only one more book to read before I finish content review! Taking my first FL on March 6th. This upcoming week i'm doing P/S book while doing at least one ek 101 passage every day. The following week i'm doing a quick review over ochem/physics because I feel like i didn't retain much from those books. During that week I'll also be doing 10 questions in each qpack (bio 2, chem, physics) and 3 passages in the CARS qpack everyday up until I take my FL that Sunday. I feel like I have a pretty solid schedule going except I have an entire week of just FL review. I'm not sure if this is good or bad. How long do you guys plan to review FL's?

I'm reviewing the one I took today all week in addition to content review. I'm supposed to take a full length a week until my test but I definitely need to do more content review because today's SUCKED lol. Scorewise and test wise.

I'm reviewing the one I took today all week in addition to content review. I'm supposed to take a full length a week until my test but I definitely need to do more content review because today's SUCKED lol. Scorewise and test wise.
Good thing we have plenty of time to bring our scores up! haha

Does anyone else find themselves having mini panic attacks after a few hours of studying? Or is that just me..

Sent from my University's Library, at 11:33pm on a Friday

Does anyone else find themselves having mini panic attacks after a few hours of studying? Or is that just me..

Sent from my University's Library, at 11:33pm on a Friday
Yeah me too and even worse after my first full length score. So depressing!!