About the ads

~The Official NMAT results thread~

Discussion in 'China and Eastern Asia' started by LocutusofBorg, Nov 16, 2006.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. LocutusofBorg

LocutusofBorg Member

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    95% baby!! WHO DA MAN! (yeah my humility is like 12%)
  2. RaaMD

RaaMD Caffeine Addict

SDN 5+ Year Member
    awesome, congrats.
  3. chocopinipig

chocopinipig Member

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    looks like you're on your way to a PI med school. 95% is enough to attract the schools attention. :cool:

congratulations.
  4. FutureMDdude

FutureMDdude Medical Ninja

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    92% and lovin' it!
  5. squash22

squash22

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    wow! u guys are sooo smart!

any pointers for me? im gonna take the nmat this december although CEM hasnt mailed my admission slip yet.

any advice for taking the nmat? chemistry seems pretty hard and the math problems too!
  6. FutureMDdude

FutureMDdude Medical Ninja

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I think the practice materials that are provided with the admission paperwork are sufficient enough to study from, at least they were for me. If you're shaky about the math and chemistry sections, just get one of those laminated quick-study sheets they have at bookstores to help you with those sections. You probably don't want to spend your time studying from MCAT books because they go too in-depth into the material for the scope of the NMAT. Hope this helps.
  7. bleudsky

bleudsky MD, DPAFP

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    congrats to those got high scores. hope u will be consistent with your grades when u get into medical school next year.
  8. jsilverm

jsilverm

Pre-Medical
    99% :)

here is a trick that i used on Part I:

-bring extra pencils, like 5 total...
    -on the perceptual acuity portion, don't look at the original image first!
    -they change one little detail in each picture so it's best to compare each picture to each other first
    -take a pencil and physically block out a picture that has a small difference from the others. they won't let you write on the exam, but they had no problem with me using my extra pencils to physically block out the answer.
    -keep doing that until you blocked out 3 of them.
    -when you have 2 pictures left, find the difference in them
    -compare that difference with the original picture

you can use this trick for the identical information section as well. it is much easier to see the differences this way and you should basically get 100% on these sections. practice this on the practice exam and try it for yourself!

good luck!
  9. ricksakti

ricksakti Junior Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    DAng.... top ten percents...:eek:
    When did you guys take the NMAT?
  10. squash22

squash22

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    thanks for the tip guys!
    wala pa rin akong admission slip! and dec 10 is just around the corner.

i wish that I'll at least get a 50. hehehe
  11. jsilverm

jsilverm

Pre-Medical
    i took the nmat in oct in chicago
  12. LocutusofBorg

LocutusofBorg Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    You are my hero!!!
  13. ricksakti

ricksakti Junior Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Yeah, i just took the test this morning. Dang long que outside the building:cool: .

apparantly all foreigners are accomodated in one room. There was fourty something students. It seemed to me that most of them are on vacation or something...hahaha.... they did not like a person whom is going to a Med skul:laugh:
  14. MedKev

MedKev

SDN 2+ Year Member
    For those of you who took the NMAT recently, did any of you have time problems? For me it seemed that the first half there wasnt enough time to answer the questions. Also does anyone know if the NMAT is on graded on a curve? Thanks
  15. jsilverm

jsilverm

Pre-Medical
    I did the practice test under real time conditions and calculated what my weaknesses were on section I. I ended up having 15 minutes at the end of that section during the real test to go over everything again, I guess it was really about knowing how to take the test, it will be much easier if there are no surprises.

As for the curve, yes, if you get 75% of the questions correct, you don't necessarily get a 75% on the test. You will get a percentile rank. The scores are first standardized then the percentile rank will tell you where you are in comparison to the others who took it. If you get a 90 on the NMAT, you scored in the top 10% of those who took the test with you. Hope this helps!
  16. hentaisocrnmdph

hentaisocrnmdph Cardiothoracic Surgery

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Nurses notes:
    > received new thread after not having been able to post any messages recently
    > will be expressing greivance about the NMAT- quite difficult
    > some people are just born better than others :(
    > took the NMAT this december 11- very hard indeed
    > will just pursue nursing if not able to go to UP or UST med
    > endorsed to next time
  17. maia

maia snoerkel

SDN 7+ Year Member
    >Received at 2000H.
    >Poster verbalized, "Punyetang NMAT na yan" regarding the recent NMAT.
    >Advised to not stress over it, *&it happens everyday anyway.
    >Receiving nurse shares that NMAT freaked her out too last year, but now enjoying medschool.
    >Endorsed to the coming Noche Buena for pain relief. :luck:

Signed,
  18. hentaisocrnmdph

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Nanda- Thankyou
    S- verbalized therapeutic communication quoted above
    O- recieved endorsement from RN, MD (idol)
    A- r/t advice given
    P/I- san ka ngayon nag me medicine?
    E- awaiting MD's orders- salamat uli
  19. maia

maia snoerkel

SDN 7+ Year Member
    :laugh:
    i'd forgotten that NANDA thing...
    i'm in a state run medschool now..

when are the results out? btw, were you also on the december 2006 boards?:thumbup:
  20. hentaisocrnmdph

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    - the NMAT results I havent any news yet... I dont know when it will come out
    - Am not part of the June 2006 NLE takers, my sister was one though she was not a repeater- shes a licensed nurse now
    - Im gonna take the NLE for June 2007- have 5 months to review now- san ka pa nag apply na school?
  21. dexter85

dexter85

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    hehe, got a 92 nmat percentile rank. took it dec 2005.

actually, it's a quite easy test if you've got a good foundation in your science subjects (social science, biology, chemistry, physics, math), an above average iq, and a wide range of vocabulary.

one thing that must be greatly considered in taking the test is time management. many who took the exams were not able to finish answering the questions while some resort to shotgun answering method to answer it all because of lack of time. this is especially true in the first set which involves reading and analyzing articles, solving problems, computing, comparing and analyzing figures. the second set will give you ample time to review your answers since the answers to the questions will only come from your stock knowledge save for some computations in chem and physics. hehe, since i have a brittle foundation in chem, i sucked at this part pulling down my percentile rank.

well, nmat is not really the basis for admission in med school. and if you're planning to attend up-pgh, the competition is very tough at that school. i also applied there but never got the chance for an interview. i even know some who got nmat result of 95-99 and even graduated magna and cum laude who were not admitted there.:scared:

your nmat result will not really give you a good idea whether you'll be good in med school because it will be very different in med school. it's not only intelligence that counts but also perseverance and determination. med school will demand a lot from you.

to those who took the nmat on dec 2006, good luck.

your individual result will be mailed to you by the end of the month or first week of february. :cool:
  22. ricksakti

ricksakti Junior Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Ola dexter, congratz to you.:thumbup:
    How do you know your result? Where else do you apply beside UP?:D
  23. dexter85

dexter85

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    now i'm at ust. so that's it, i only applied at ust and up. ust was my first and only choice but i decided to try up in case my parents won't be able to finance my med education at ust. <-- the ust faculty of medicine and surgery has the highest tuition fee (and miscellaneous fee) among all schools in the philippines. right now, it's almost 80K per semester, and this does not include your books, dorm expenses, and other. but with this comes one of the best facilities, faculties, and place a medical school could offer. :D

how'd i know bout my result? it was mailed to me, snail mail not e-mail. as for foreign applicants, sorry i don't know. :confused:

in case some are interested about the nmat percentile cutoff for the medical schools here in metro manila, here it is:

up-pgh college of medicine: 90 (but a 95 is an almost sure shot to be admitted)
    ust: it's 85 now (it was raised from 65 last year; the interview process was removed as a criterion for admission)
    admu (opening s/y 2006-2007) : 80
    st. luke's : 65
    uerm : 55
    plm : 45
    feu : 40

however, it doesn't mean that if you've reached their cutoff, you're already in. you'll also be evaluated according to you performance in your pre-med course and sometimes your extra-curricular activities/involvements.

to those applying for med school for the next school year, good luck. you can do it.

it's easier to be accepted at a medical school than maintaining your grades so as not to be kicked out of that medical school, hehe. :(
  24. camssy

camssy

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  25. squash22

squash22

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    i got a 76! ugh! too bad i wont get into ust but feu and ue are equally good schools :)

is there a case wherein a score below the nmat cut off can squeeze into being admitted to ust? hehehehe
    sigh... if only the cut off was still 65 hahaha

is it true that the feu orientation was moved to the 17th of feb?
  26. dexter85

dexter85

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  27. skyeMD

skyeMD Fallen angel

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    yes it was move, ive gotten an email from FEU saying that they are conducting an interview in the 17th of feb.
  28. ricksakti

ricksakti Junior Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    What is being moved? Last time i was told to come this coming friday, for pre interview or something like that. Do you guys know any contact number and contact person that i can call? Thank you. Hey, i havent gotten my result...:sleep:
  29. skyeMD

skyeMD Fallen angel

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member

427-56-86 for
    your interview schedule.

this was the number that wast sent to me to confirm your interview
  30. princesslexxie

princesslexxie

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    i wasnt able to call earlier to ask feu. i've just read this message. can someone shed some light on this? yes, PRE-INTERVIEW was scheduled tomorrow... is it the one moved???? to when? THANKS
  31. ricksakti

ricksakti Junior Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    I called the admission office this morning, the pre interview is moved to 17 December, its on saturday. I dont think i am able to go.
    The interview is start on the following week.

I got :D96% Yeah BABY. :D :D :D
  32. dexter85

dexter85

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    just an update...

ust has cancelled both interview process and its 85 nmat percentile cutoff as criteria for application.

hehehe, don't really know why. maybe only few applicants got 80+ above percentile rank.
  33. skyeMD

skyeMD Fallen angel

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    it was moved on feb17
  34. ricksakti

ricksakti Junior Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Who is goiing to FEU this year? Anybody?
    Anyone can suggest nice place to stay around FEU? Thanks
  35. camssy

camssy

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    hmmmm so, is that a good news?:cool: if ust has just cancelled both the interview and 85 nmat percentile cutoff, what would be their criteria now???
  36. dexter85

dexter85

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    the nmat percentile rank of the applicants will still be considered (however, there's no cutoff).

therefore the criteria for admission is still by ranking all the applicants by their pre-med course performance and their nmat result. then, the top applicants are qualified for enrolment. :D
  37. camssy

camssy

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    hhmmmm... im currently a CRS student. what are my chances of surviving med life kaya? ay getting in FMS muna pala. hehehe:)
  38. tantrum

tantrum Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Getting in is now easier especially if you are from UST. Med life will always be difficult though especially at UST.
  39. hentaisocrnmdph

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    New charting note
    - is there any chance by which an 84 will enter UP med... nagbababaan na rin lang naman ang standards- if its hard to get an 80+, how much more a 90+. There should be some grade adjustments

- anyone here going to UST for 2007? Any updates so far?
  40. dexter85

dexter85

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

:D not a chance in UP. even if you have a 'backer'.

fyi, i think UP admits 200 freshman med students every year, 40 from their INTARMED program and 160 slots from other courses/universities. and a number of applicants are dying to get there because of low tuition. imagine, less than 20,000 per sem for a med education.

and from those who took the nmat, more than 200-300 examinees will get a 90+. so, april and december nmat 'successful' examinees added will number 500-600 applicants for UP. they will choose only 160 from them. :rolleyes:

no updates yet at ust. the result will be posted second week of march at the latest.

good luck! :)
  41. ricksakti

ricksakti Junior Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Yup. I got 96th Percentile and Cum Laude during college. Still i dont think i have tha chance to get in UP:D :D . Didnt even dare to try:sleep: :sleep:
  42. tantrum

tantrum Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Actually the 160 slots is for ALL med students including INTARMED. So it's actually worse as they will only accept 120 students from all Bachelors degree holders. It's easy to fill out those slots even among thousands of UP pre-med grads.
  43. redsiren

redsiren New Member

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    since most of u guys here have already taken the nmat...i was hoping for some tips on the test =)

particularly with the perceptual acuity part (I read the early post on this one with the 5 pencils), but that doesn't seem to work for me...

how about on the figure grouping part, the one where one is different from the rest...i get some but others just make no sense to me

thanks in advance for any tips!
  44. kittycrinkles

kittycrinkles picking out zebras

Post Doc
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    i got 96. a lot of my friends got 99 though. :(

about tips for taking nmat, concentrate on what you think is your weakness. my "pre-med" wasn't exactly big on the social sciences, so that's the only part i conscientiously read up on.

and don't panic. bring a lot of pencils if that can make you panic less. :) good luck!
  45. kellybelly

kellybelly

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    99 overall. (and i got a "perfect" or 800 score in chemistry-blame it on my undergrad degree). took it last december 2006

bring lots of pencils! :)
  46. redsiren

redsiren New Member

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    help and/or tips ont the perceptual acuity part, specifically the "hidden figures"

i was looking at the MSA nmat reviewer and im having a hard time with that section..any tips would be greatly appreciated..thanks to all in advance
  47. redsiren

redsiren New Member

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    ok guys, im sorry if i keep asking the same questions, or if it's just cuz i really want to do good on this nmat...

but ive just been looking at the MSA reviewer that can be bought from most bookstores, and im gettin' a little bit worried...can some one pls tell me if the test is going to be as hard as the MSA, especially with the quantitative sec, the math in there is just crazy!

or should i not even bother with the MSA, and just focus on the practice test they gave us? i may be studing too much, but i just dont want to be surprised on the test...thanks
  48. kittycrinkles

kittycrinkles picking out zebras

Post Doc
    SDN 2+ Year Member

i say practice test. :thumbup:
  49. redsiren

redsiren New Member

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  50. jzdman

jzdman

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    The MSA reviewer is more difficult than the actual test IMO, but it helped me through the social sciences part... :thumbup: